Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I hear the Lost Weekend is a really good book for folks like us....

NS, I totally relate to what you are saying. I was at a women's AA meeting last night and it was a topic meeting. That means one person tells their story, picks a topic and we all talk about it. So, this woman proceeded to talk about how when she was in early recovery, she was tempted to drink...she told this by explaining in great detail how she went to a fancy restaurant and they had a different bottle....anyway, I won't rehash it....I wanted to shout out STOP...she has been sober since 1987 so I would assume rehashing that story doesn't bother her. But I haven't even been sober for 90 days. What she was describing was utter torture for me. Anyway, I got through that and I am glad I did because the discussion after her story was deeply moving for me.

One other thing....just lately I have noticed when people make comments about drinking. It never used to register with me how often that happens. Like "wow, you had to go to Chicago and back in one day....I'll bet you wanted a nice drink after that" My first reaction is annoyance. I just push those comments aside and don't even acknowledge them......I just change the subject....I know it is just small talk to the person saying it but it isn't so small to me.

I am glad it is Saturday!!!!!!
    I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters & Happy Saturday

We have been promised a nice weekend with no rain - yay!
      Hope to get outside & clean up some garden beds. The weeds are out of control already.

Snap - congrats on your first egg, very nice
      Production is back up in my hen house after a meager winter. I have a few egg customers who will be happy.

Wishing everyone a great AF day!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
        The power of suggestion is, well, powerful. It's like when you are on a diet and everyone is talking about the luscious cheesecake they had/saw/made. I try to tune these queues out, because they are everywhere when it comes to AL. It is a skill, like anything else you practice you get better at it. Whatever works for you to tune it out. Perseverance will get you a long way here. If you stay on this site long enough, you will see what AL does to people. Over and over and over you see it. So when a glamorous thought gets going in my head, I try and remember the reality of it all. It doesn't end well! Being AF is much better!! No decisions, no choices! Just NO! Life is better and simpler!! And yes, in so many ways, easier!

It's finally springtime here! Going to get out and enjoy it!! Happy sober Sattidy to you all! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Day Nesters....
          Snap and Lavande; I am jealous of all this chicken talk and farm fresh eggs! Eggs are my absolute favorite food! I eat at least 3 eggs a day everyday. My cousin has chickens, I never knew they were so many different kinds. She has one that lays "Easter" eggs. I purchase my eggs from a local lady.....not the supermarket.
          "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
          ~Author Unknown
          AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

I love the conversations happening in the nest: chickens and eggs! It makes me smile! For the record smiling helps in the battle against AL..have a wonderful weekend everyone
            On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Snapdragon I'm going to buy After the Fall this weekend, thanks alot for the book recommendation, I am always looking for great books. I finished reading The Wild by Cheryl Strayed, about a young girl's quest to complete the Pacific Coast Trail , she battled addiction at a point in her life as well. It is also an excellent read! I don't know if there is a great books to read thread, but I'm thinking of starting one!
              On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks to all my friends on here. Update, I am doing well. Pain has subsided and I am doing well. I'll fill ya in more when i have some more time> Thanks

Comment

Newbies Nest

halo;1491552 wrote: Snapdragon I'm going to buy After the Fall this weekend, thanks alot for the book recommendation, I am always looking for great books. I finished reading The Wild by Cheryl Strayed, about a young girl's quest to complete the Pacific Coast Trail , she battled addiction at a point in her life as well. It is also an excellent read! I don't know if there is a great books to read thread, but I'm thinking of starting one!
                  halo....you should start a good "reads" thread. I love to read, the last book I read was "Life of PI" LOVED IT!
                  "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                  ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ok, tonight is going to be a huge test for me. It's my turn to host our supper club and of course everyone drinks wine during this event. I bought several bottles today for my guests and my husband and I have an agreement that any wine that is left over, he will pour out immediately after the guests leave. One of the guests owns a winery and generally brings several bottles of his own. I've just got to really focus for about three hours and then it will be over. Please send prayers my way nesters! I am really enjoying being sober and I've just got to remember that when the wine starts pouring.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lovely day today. Sunshine and a little warmer...60 but better than snow....
                      I think I am having a mid life crisis...saw a puppy today and almost brought her home...we have 3 dogs and 2 cats now...foster dog was fixed today and they want to watch him for another week....maybe he was not meant to live with us...but the puppy was 7 weeks old...puggle/dachshund mix...so cute..haven't had a puppy in years....guess this is what happens when I have no kids.....gosh....
                      Dottie
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

kreeves;1491618 wrote: Ok, tonight is going to be a huge test for me. It's my turn to host our supper club and of course everyone drinks wine during this event. I bought several bottles today for my guests and my husband and I have an agreement that any wine that is left over, he will pour out immediately after the guests leave. One of the guests owns a winery and generally brings several bottles of his own. I've just got to really focus for about three hours and then it will be over. Please send prayers my way nesters! I am really enjoying being sober and I've just got to remember that when the wine starts pouring.
                        Kreeves....sending you strength. Just keep reminding yourself of how awful you will feel if you do drink alcohol, and how nice it will feel to wake up unhung. You can do this, you know you can and I know you can.
                        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry I have been out, gang! Wedding dress shopping and attending wedding showers with one daughter and getting ready for prom with another.

Just checking in though and want to mention to Kreeves to go ahead and EAT while getting ready for tonight's dinner. Getting hungry puts you in danger of accidentally caving in! Strength and prayers sent your way!
                          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great advice, Star! Stick to your guns, Kreeves...there will always be some function to attend, may as well get your first AF one under your belt. If I can do it, I know you can...please keep us posted, dig your heels in and don't give in no matter what and no matter who! You will never regret staying sober!! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey KReeves, Starfish is dead on. If you stuff yourself beforehand, it will really put a dent in any cravings. So what if you don't have room for all the good food. Sobriety is so much more satisfying.
                              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nest!
                                Had a nice relaxing Saturday. Did a bit of shopping and got a beautiful new tea infuser. Then I bought some delicious Tulsi tea and am relaxing with a cup now.
                                Someone here told be about the wonders of Tulsi tea, and boy they were right. It is absolutely divine!
                                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X