Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well hello everyone. I haven't been on here in quite a while. I however am 5 1/2 months sober and proud of it.

I just got off the phone with a friend who asked me about getting to this point. She has a friend who is where we all have been. She wants to quit but doesn't know how or where to start. I told her about this site. I told her how I am sure that I would not be sober this long without the wonderful people on this site. It gave me a place to process what I was feeling and work through all the physical, mental and emotional part of quitting.

This website has given me a place to come and share with like minded people what I was thinking.

A little something I want to share with all the new people. Welcome and enjoy the following:

Top ten reason why I love the nest:

10. They are here 24 hrs for me to type what I am thinking.
    9. Everyone here is going through the same thing whether they are on day 1 or year 2.
    8. I can post with or without pants! :wow:
    7. I can be truthful because I am not going to run into to someone tommorow and have to feel embarrassed or weird around them because of what I told them. :blushing:
    6. I can get out what I have to say without being interrupted.
    5. No judging!!!!
    4. No one looks at you funny when you tell them that you have an Amaryllis Sober Buddy named Stella. ( Stella has gone dormant for the time being)
    3.Captive audience. (That could have been # 1 but I am saving that spot)
    2. All the success stories are very motivating and comforting. I can do this!
    And the #1 reason I love this place...........:cheering

1. THEY HAVE THE BEST SMILEYS :cheering::banana:

Try to fight through the urges. It took me a few months but I now am at the point where I don't even think about it anymore. Will I still have moments when I will have a drinking thought? Yes. However I am at the point where I will be more emotionally and physically able to ride it out and come out on the other side, sober.

Thank you again to everyone for being here.
    AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

GREAT POST NANETTE !

So good to see you. Indeed this site saves lives. The combination of getting sober while helping others is the reason why IMO. It stops us throwing pity parties and keeps focus on what this addiction has done and will do to our lives if we continue.

I am moving forward in ALL areas of my life now.... But giving back to this place is a central part of my recovery.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nursie.....sorry, missed your post.

Many, many congratulations ....... You have overcome so much and been brave and inspiring. I am happy to be sharing this journey with you.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Got through my Dinner and non-date without drinking or being tempted. Had AF beer at dinner and then went on to have some non-alcoholic cocktails, great idea in a hotel bar. He doesn't drink either and have to say the conversation was so much more enjoyable than the night out I had with friends a few weeks ago.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Sunday morning Nesters

Glad your non-date went well Moni

Congrats to everyone hanging in & making progress on their plans. It takes a lotof effort but you'll never be sorry. Guilt free clear-headed mornings are the best!!!

Have a great AF day everyone!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

My cold has knocked me off my feet. Yesterday was horrible for me. feeling a little better today. Anyway, haven't been posting much because I don't have the energy but I have been reading!!
              Feeling this way reminds me of when I was drinking. This head cold is not too far off from a really bad hangover....Why on EARTH did I do that to myself over and over and over and over again? This disease is baffling
              I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
                Windy as heck here today....no hair defense against these gusts!!
                So glad to hear of everyone's victories! There's always a little rough edge in the beginning of a new experience, but like everything else, that edge smoothes over after you practice it a bit.
                Jenni, I'm so sorry you are feeling like yesterday's wadded up newspaper.....here's wishing you a speedy recovery! It is hard to believe the self inflicted stuff we did when we poisoned ourselves daily with AL. Such is the power of addiction....and you can't see it til you get out from under it. It's a real bitch! I hope you are back up and running very shortly!!
                Have a wonderful Sober Sunday, everyone! Try to get out and do something nice for someone else who doesn't have it as good as we do! Hugs to all...Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sober (hopefully) Sunday to all, Just making through my first weekend in a very LONG time without AL.

I'm barely dealing with daily life w/out AL, so my hat is off to Moni & No Sugar for handling social situations that typically involve lots of drinking - at least in in my work & long ago dating experience. ;-)

Kuya, I appreciate your observations about about work. I've lately felt overwhelmed & hope to also experience clear-headedness of sobriety & gain more focus. Getting to work without a hangover always helps too!

Focusing on my goal of 7 days (so far at 4). Eager to get back to work tomorrow, so I have less down-time & temptation.

cocoflo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cocoflo;1495200 wrote: Happy Sober (hopefully) Sunday to all, Just making through my first weekend in a very LONG time without AL.

I'm barely dealing with daily life w/out AL, so my hat is off to Moni & No Sugar for handling social situations that typically involve lots of drinking - at least in in my work & long ago dating experience. ;-)

Kuya, I appreciate your observations about about work. I've lately felt overwhelmed & hope to also experience clear-headedness of sobriety & gain more focus. Getting to work without a hangover always helps too!

Focusing on my goal of 7 days (so far at 4). Eager to get back to work tomorrow, so I have less down-time & temptation.

cocoflo
                    Coco, baby steps. Right now every day feels like a month, but that is only to you. Be kind to yourself and let things wait for now......you can catch up later.

Fear is what jeopardises our recovery......we call it cravings but after the first six days the alcohol is gone......so the feelings of wanting are fear. Fear of not being able to function without that buzz, crutch, numbing. The truth is that you will manage MUCH better.

At certain moments you will doubt, worry that it is different for you, that you are not strong enough.......but you are a human being like all of us......you CAN do this and it IS worth the struggle........believe us.

This is why I always wish new folk courage rather than luck. You plan and make resolutions in order to quit......luck has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cocoflo, great job on 4 days! You are proving you CAN do this! Rinse and Repeat! Hope everyone is having a wonderful, sober evening! I'm going to watch some mindless tv, instead of being mindless and passed out on the couch! UGG, those WEREN'T the days! Hugs all, Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

me too Byrdie!!! Watching TV sober is so much better than drunk even though it is all pretty stupid!! Except the Americans....that is a really good show!! (it is on FX)
                        I am feeling much better .... thanks for all the well wishes.....
                        I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1495083 wrote: Feeling this way reminds me of when I was drinking. This head cold is not too far off from a really bad hangover....Why on EARTH did I do that to myself over and over and over and over again? This disease is baffling
                          Jenniech, what you wrote truly resonated with me, I too couldn't understand why after having the worst hangover, throwing up and forcing myself to throw up, being unable to move or even function, having shakes, just lying in bed feeling sick and depressed, the next weekend or hell even a couple of days later, I would be back to AL. This is a pattern that lasted for YEARS and YEARS

All I know is that after being AF (it's been 40 days!) I am finally able to gain perspective. I am now able to see into the box, I was never able to before because I was IN the box! I now have a clearer insight into the damage AL actually caused me, and not just me, my family........
                          On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

halo;1495277 wrote:

All I know is that after being AF (it's been 40 days!) I am finally able to gain perspective. I am now able to see into the box, I was never able to before because I was IN the box! I now have a clearer insight into the damage AL actually caused me, and not just me, my family........
                            Hi, Halo.

Great congratulations on your 40 days! Do you in some ways feel like it is hard to believe you are being successful? I do. After so much lack of success, it seems miraculous that something is actually working.

I don't want to question it but I sure appreciate it and all of you that have helped make it happen!

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Halo, nice on your 40 days

NS, by all means believe in yourself!
                              Picture yourself as the happy, sober, confident & contented person you really want to be
                              I know it's kind of hard in the beginning but pat yourself on the back & believe!

Wishing a safe night in the nest for one & all!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks, Lav!

I am starting to really BELIEVE -- enough days have passed that they can't all be FLUKES :H !!!

I love reading your posts around MWO about the 'normal life' that can be had.

Have a good evening! :h. NS

Comment

Working...
                                X