Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

AA Chips

Does anyone know how the AA chips work? I'm interested in the 1 month chip to get started on that recognition track. I'd pick it up next Monday, but have no idea what the protocol is having never been to an AA meeting. I mean, do I just show up at a local meeting and ask for my chip?
    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1495515 wrote: Sounds good! What brand do you like?
      Hi Fin - I like Old Jamaicon - but am really into hot and spicy things since giving up AL and have discovered a supermarket brand (Tesco) called Fiery Traditional Ginger Beer - I love the way it burns all the way down to my stomach and leaves my throat tingling afterwards!

I'm really into hot mustard now too - has anyone else found this since going AF? I think hubby is getting worried I might announce a new arrival on the way with all of my weird cravings!! :H
      Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Snapdragon;1495528 wrote: Hi Fin - I like Old Jamaicon - but am really into hot and spicy things since giving up AL and have discovered a supermarket brand (Tesco) called Fiery Traditional Ginger Beer - I love the way it burns all the way down to my stomach and leaves my throat tingling afterwards!
        Must be a UK thing. I'll look for it as I too love the spice...the hotter the better.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest. I just want to tell you all how happy I am that you are all here. I made the choice to drink yesterday and it was a complete failure. Ended up downing an entire bottle of wine. I drank, no chugged, the bottle of wine within 10 minutes. 10! Bad decision. Just wanted to come clean. I still want to get past the drinking. Definitely want to be a healthy person. I didn't even feel sick this morning. I was sober for 20 days and still did not get sick after a bottle of wine. I really regret the decision to drink. Today is a new day so I'm going to look forward, gather my strength and focus on my health.

Much love and strength to you all.
          Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein Sonnenschein;1495545 wrote: Hello Nest. I just want to tell you all how happy I am that you are all here. I made the choice to drink yesterday and it was a complete failure. Ended up downing an entire bottle of wine. I drank, no chugged, the bottle of wine within 10 minutes. 10! Bad decision. Just wanted to come clean. I still want to get past the drinking. Definitely want to be a healthy person. I didn't even feel sick this morning. I was sober for 20 days and still did not get sick after a bottle of wine. I really regret the decision to drink. Today is a new day so I'm going to look forward, gather my strength and focus on my health.
            Hi Mein S - Never mind - you made the wrong choice, but hey, we've all been there and done that (I have on numerous occasions and never got past 13 days!) Hopefully when you next get to 20 days you will remember feeling like you are today (perhaps you should print this post and save it somewhere).

I'm not being smug here either. I'm taking Antabuse and know for an absolute fact that if I wasn't I would have slipped and made the very unwise 'choice' of drinking wine again long before now. I had many evenings, particularly in the first couple of weeks, when I would have traded my soul to get rid of the AB out of my system so I could drink. But those cravings seem to be getting less and less as the days go past. My evenings are starting to feel 'normalish' now. I've stopped thinking about drinking every waking hour and in fact have started to really look forward to my favourite tipple of fiery ginger beer whilst I cook supper now.

Get back on track with us - it's just a minor blip and you were doing so well :l
            Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

congratulation Fin! I'm right there with you at day 21. Nice to be on this side of sobriety.

Comment

Newbies Nest

kreeves;1495671 wrote: congratulation Fin! I'm right there with you at day 21. Nice to be on this side of sobriety.
                You got that right and keep it up. It's cool to see that your days quit nearly equal the number of posts you've made which means you haven't had to start over. Don't go there. It's never ever worth it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

AA Chips

Hi Fin
                  Since August, I have been going to AA meetings everyday (except for my 3 month "slip" in Nov. Dec. and Jan.) The first time, I was at about 68 days and this time I am on day 85. In these parts, they don't give out 30 day chips. They only give out 90 day chips and annual chips. The thought process is that it takes 90 days for the alcohol to both physically and physiologically (what does that mean?) to leave your body....by 90 days, the theory goes, you are REALLY free of AL and from there on out, it is a only a mind game.

But it might be different where you are. Call your local AA and ask for a beginner meeting near you. They can also tell you whether or not 30 days chips are given. The chips are awarded only once a month on "anniversary night" You have to stand and tell your story, yada yada.....I have to "prepare" for my anniversary which is coming up a week from today.
                  Hope that helps!!

BTW, I have had my serious doubts about AA. I find it ALMOST as useful as MWO....it is definitely a nice supplement to MWO and you meet sober people who live near you. That is, if you can get past the strong sense of cult....these people really are there to help you....they WANT to help you just as we folks here on MWO want to help people. This "giving back" is crucial in recovery.....so if you are considering AA, you should give it a try!! The worst thing that could happen is that you don't like it.....and you don't have to talk if you don't want to.
                  I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein Sonnenschein;1495545 wrote: Hello Nest. I just want to tell you all how happy I am that you are all here. I made the choice to drink yesterday and it was a complete failure.

Much love and strength to you all.
                    Hi, again, MS

I am really glad you "heard" what I wrote to you this morning in the other thread in the way I meant it - with interest, caring, love, and support.

We are all here for you - :l NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1495701 wrote: Hi Fin
                      Since August, I have been going to AA meetings everyday (except for my 3 month "slip" in Nov. Dec. and Jan.) The first time, I was at about 68 days and this time I am on day 85. In these parts, they don't give out 30 day chips. They only give out 90 day chips and annual chips. The thought process is that it takes 90 days for the alcohol to both physically and physiologically (what does that mean?) to leave your body....by 90 days, the theory goes, you are REALLY free of AL and from there on out, it is a only a mind game.

But it might be different where you are. Call your local AA and ask for a beginner meeting near you. They can also tell you whether or not 30 days chips are given. The chips are awarded only once a month on "anniversary night" You have to stand and tell your story, yada yada.....I have to "prepare" for my anniversary which is coming up a week from today.
                      Hope that helps!!

BTW, I have had my serious doubts about AA. I find it ALMOST as useful as MWO....it is definitely a nice supplement to MWO and you meet sober people who live near you. That is, if you can get past the strong sense of cult....these people really are there to help you....they WANT to help you just as we folks here on MWO want to help people. This "giving back" is crucial in recovery.....so if you are considering AA, you should give it a try!! The worst thing that could happen is that you don't like it.....and you don't have to talk if you don't want to.
                      Thanks for the info, Jenni. I'll probably check it out. I'll at least make the call and see where that takes me.

Mein, thinking of you and how great it is to see your right back at the task at hand vs. what I'd historically do...go off on a month long binge before finding the resolve to get back to work.

Comment

Newbies Nest

CONGRATS on 21 AF days fin & kreeves - good job

MS, my question is why did you decide to drink after 20 days? What led you to that decision? It matters to know these things so you can avoid repeating that behavior.

Very cool weather predicted all week in my area but not much rain. I'll see if I can squeeze in a little gardening time - one of my favorite things to do
                        Anyone else into gardening? Flowers, veggies, herbs - I've got them all.

Wishing everyone a safe aF night in the nest!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi there, Lav! I LOVE gardening - I plan to start a landscape design company when I retire. I'm currently getting estimates on some hardscaping, then I'm doing all the garden design and planting myself.

Hi Nest!! :hiya:
                          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1495747 wrote: CONGRATS on 21 AF days fin & kreeves - good job

MS, my question is why did you decide to drink after 20 days? What led you to that decision? It matters to know these things so you can avoid repeating that behavior.

Very cool weather predicted all week in my area but not much rain. I'll see if I can squeeze in a little gardening time - one of my favorite things to do
                            Anyone else into gardening? Flowers, veggies, herbs - I've got them all.

Wishing everyone a safe aF night in the nest!
                            Lav
                            Lav....I like to garden, all though I am not always successful. I don't have a yard, so I do container gardening. Makes my deck look pretty. Last year I did lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, basil, rosemary, cilantro, mint, I can't remember what else. Oh I also planted a mixture of flowers.
                            "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                            ~Author Unknown
                            AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, ORS! What's up? Any word on Maggie's travels?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello,

I want to kick this, I find I can go up to 2days without alcohol, and then crash, drinking way too much. Today is day 1. Please someone respond, I need a shoulder. I must stay away from wine.

Again

Comment

Working...
                                X