Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Checking into the nest to add a few words for MS, K9, and NS.

MS, on my day 20, I came so close to caving in, mainly because I was lonely, had just finished a big project, and because my AL deprived brain was doing everything it could to get me to drink. I can say the more days you can link together, the stronger you will become. Saying no thank you, or stopping a thought pattern is a form of mental exercise. Use the muscles or they will atrophy.

K9, way to go on 4 days NF. If you bring your same determination to this as you did to quiting AL, you will do it.

And NS, the advice you gave me--dump it down the drain--was so helpful. It gave me "permission" to do whatever was needed to protect my quit. Last night, as our apartment guests were in bed and I was finishing tidying up, I looked, longingly at the glass of wine remaining in the bottle of wine our houseguests had brought. Didn't think twice about dumping it down the drain. So, I have now used your advice three times, and will continue to do so whenever needed. Thank you!

Have an evening planned with our houseguests, and alcohol is not invited. Will post tomorrow of my success tonight.

Wishing everyone a happy, AF weekend.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1497355 wrote:

If my calculations are correct...our beloved G-Ster is at a whopping, amazing 7 days today!!! YAY!! Love you G-Man :h
      Morning Nesters from a land downunder. Yep Niner, day 7 here. Yay!

Mein Sonnenschein;1497373 wrote: I was 22 and he was 26. And the pain never goes away, you just learn to live with it. Every once in a while the sadness creeps in (even so I'm happily married to a wonderful man). How could it not? I'm sure many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.
      Hi Mein.

I know what you're talking about. I lost a partner 14 years ago, and our son didn't make it through birth, which was 18 months before she passed away. I'm accepting of this these days, but the sadness creeps in now and then. I drank hard when I lost her, but, I now realise I was an alcoholic way before I met her anyway. I didn't drink because of the loss though. It was an excuse for me to get smashed, which helped in the beginning because I didn't know how to handle the emotions. But drinking through the loss caused me damage, emotional damage, and of course physical damage. I was slowly but surely killing my self. It was a slow suicide. I needed to deal with my loss and grief sober and clear headed, to move forward, and I did eventually in my own way. Anyway, be careful not to stay 'fixed' on tragic past events and memories. I know my old partner wants me to kick arse and not remain 'stuck' and be my best. I am sure your friend would want the same for you. Take care of yourself and kick some AL butt.

Pinecone;1497381 wrote:

Mr. G, very hearty congratulations on your 7 days!
      Thanks Coney!

Now, where's my moon thingy!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mr G, I know Jenni will be along shortly to do the awards!! It's a pretty big deal around here! I'm so proud of you! We don't have to tell you those first 7 days are the hardest...that's why we give prizes for it.

Everyone sounds great! Remember, Friday's just another day, not a free pass to Boozeville! Have a safe, sober weekend! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today was my last day!!! Had a nice little party with cake and fruit. Nice cards and all my friends were there..boss did the obligatory speech but I knew she was just doing her duty and didn't mean a word of it....don't care I am on the retirement train now..WooHoo....
          dottie
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie Belle;1497476 wrote: Today was my last day!!! Had a nice little party with cake and fruit. Nice cards and all my friends were there..boss did the obligatory speech but I knew she was just doing her duty and didn't mean a word of it....don't care I am on the retirement train now..WooHoo....
            dottie
            YAY time to party! :band2::disco::dancin::day6:

I remember when you said you were going to be done at the end of April. At the time it seemed like such a long way a way. But here it is. I can't wait until I am done. I have another couple years or so.

Let's keep this party going all night long!

:happy:
            AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

ATTENTION: Guitarista: I bestow upon you the 7 day AL free prize:

:moon:

Congratulations on remaining AF every day of the week!!! A HUGE milestone! And we are so glad to have you in the nest.....
              I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nest! I'm still here! Been craving a drink like crazy but I did not give in. I start to think that maybe a drink would be ok, and then I say to myself "Dumbass! You don't drink anymore!" And play it through to the horror it eventually becomes.
                I like being proud of myself. I like not being ashamed. And I like that my family is whole again. I didn't realize how much I let everything go while I was drinking and recovering from drinking and planning to quit drinking.....exhaustion and insanity.
                G- I had no idea, and I'm so sorry for your losses. I drank my face off when my brother died and it made my grief impossible to deal with.

Everyone else, it's Friday! Let's have a sober partayyy. Woo hoo!
                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nursie;1497522 wrote: Hey Nest! I'm still here! Been craving a drink like crazy but I did not give in. I start to think that maybe a drink would be ok, and then I say to myself "Dumbass! You don't drink anymore!" And play it through to the horror it eventually becomes.
                  I like being proud of myself. I like not being ashamed. And I like that my family is whole again. I didn't realize how much I let everything go while I was drinking and recovering from drinking and planning to quit drinking.....exhaustion and insanity.
                  G- I had no idea, and I'm so sorry for your losses. I drank my face off when my brother died and it made my grief impossible to deal with.

Everyone else, it's Friday! Let's have a sober partayyy. Woo hoo!
                  Count me in for the sober party! I am damn tired of cleaning my house, could use a break:H
                  "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                  ~Author Unknown
                  AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations to you G man
                    You sure have had to overcome a lot of grief, you are a very brave person....proud to know you.

MS ...... Remember to check in here and scream FIRE before you drink. No one can stop you TBH but it seems to often work. I have had the same problem with my smoking quit and will be following my own advice from now on

Oney......remind me when is moving day? Is Maggie sorted now? I am excited for you !

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Late but wanted to wish everyone a safe night in the nest!'

Also want to say CONGRATS G on your 7 AF days = WTG
                      So sorry to hear of your losses, our lives are shaped in mysterious ways, for sure.

Mein, sorry for your loss as well. Living in the present helps me so much, I hope you find that out too. Wishing you a safe trip to FL!

Good night to all.
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters....
                        I have something "funny" to share, not by way of "funny" ha ha, but maybe more of an awkward, felt like a teenager being put under pier pressure. I had a friend of mine really try to put me under the gun tonight about getting together before I leave insisting that we really needed to plan a "drinking" night. She knows I have quit and I was very honest with her about why, so I reminded her of the fact that I no longer drink. Oh my gosh she was trying to bargain on my behalf, "it would only be one night". "Oh my gosh I'm not going to see you for 2 years" "come on a couple of drinks won't kill you". She ended with "I really miss my drinking friend". I have to say it was amusing to listen to her and empowering to say "NO"
                        "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                        ~Author Unknown
                        AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest. I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for all the love and support you gave me while I spilled my guts out here. I feel so much better waking up this morning sober than I did yesterday morning with a killer hangover. I need to keep this feeling in mind rather the "numb" feeling that AL gives. It is so much better to feel awake, alive and healthy than hungover and sick. Remember this feeling...

Very busy day today. Poor hubby is playing a golf tournament in the rain and fog. It's cold again in South Germany (chance of snow tomorrow). :-( I was so ready for the springtime but I guess I will have to wait a while longer. I must do some last minute work prep this morning, pack this afternoon then dinner with the hubs this evening. Tomorrow I go from Stuttgart to Ft. Lauderdale for a week of intense workshops that myself and another colleague are managing. Yikes. I really want to do well managing our consultants so once I arrive in Florida I need to keep my focus and not give into the temptation of "partying" with work colleagues. Thank you to everyone for the travel suggestions, this is very helpful information that I will keep in mind. I will do my best to stay in the Nest as much as possible next week.

Much love and strength to you all.
                          Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1497520 wrote: ATTENTION: Guitarista: I bestow upon you the 7 day AL free prize:

:moon:

Congratulations on remaining AF every day of the week!!! A HUGE milestone! And we are so glad to have you in the nest.....
                            Thank you Jennie. This is a huge honour!

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words.

Rinse and repeat.

Safe travels Mein.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

I posted this on No Fooling thread but need to fess up here too. I am so glad that 90 days has arrived but not for the reasons you think. Although I have not been craving for an immediate drink, my mind keeps going to the possibility of a drink in the future. We are currently renovating our kitchen. I keep having thoughts about when it is done, I can finally have friends over for dinner. And as I think that through, I see myself with a glass of wine in hand.
                              Such scary stuff for me!! So, I need to come clean and tell everyone in the nest. I am not having an urge so much as a longing. And I hate it! I want it to go away.....
                              Anyway, so glad it is Saturday and I am so glad that 90 days is here so I can stop anticipating it....It is just another day. Time to move onward AF......

And thank you nest for hearing me out!!!!
                              I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Up early, just sitting with my coffee & checking around here

Jenni, CONGRATS on reaching 90 AF days! Relax, enjoy your accomplishment & most of all remain present
                                Don't waste head space contemplating future events that may or may not ever happen. As long as you keep your focus on today, you will be fine. Those thoughts will stop, just keep kicking them out of your head as soon as they enter.

Mein, wishing you a safe trip, check in when you can!

Onered, good job defending yourself from your friend. Obviously she was thinking about herself & not considering your needs.

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
                                Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X