Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello all - hope you're all doing OK. Had a chat with my counseller today about the headaches and he thinks that it could be an Antabuse reaction to something I'm eating. I must admit we have been eating a lot of salads last week with balsamic vinegar, so wondering if it's that?

I thought an Antabuse reaction would be flushed face, rashes, shortness of breath etc - hadn't occurred to me that it could just be headaches (I thought it was the AB causing the headaches - but not in reaction to inadvertent alcohol). Anyway, I'm starting back with it, but will just take it every other day and see how it goes.

Happy AF Wednesday everyone!
    Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Snapdragon - I've been taking Antabuse on and off for several months now. As long as I don't ingest any alcohol, I have not seen any side effects at all. Some people have reported that it makes them sleepy, so I take it before bed, just to be sure. I haven't noticed any extra tiredness, though.

The symptoms you described (flushed face, shortness of breath, etc.) are real indeed, but only if you try to drink with Antabuse in your system. It's truly awful, and you DON'T want to do it.

I hope you can get comfortable with it. It has no doubt kept me from drinking many many times over. I just hope one day I can stay AF on my own and not have to rely on a pill. But right now, my goal is to stay sober for an extended period of time (hopefully forever) - I need to build up a lifestyle that does not include alcohol - and Antabuse is just a tool I'm using to get there.

Good luck!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Snap and roonie, I have decided today to start on AB again. Tried it last year and had some success so am going to give it another try.Its the only thing that has ever worked for me! I drank with it once and it made me violently ill!! Its definatley not a drug to mess with. Lately my drinking has got completley out of control. Lots of family issues to deal with so what Have I been doing? Hitting the booze hard! I am tired of drinking,just need to stop. Thanks for listening.I no the next few days are going to be tough.:thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Hadit! Whatever it takes to get us sober is fair game! Remember that our mindset is half the battle on this thing....Maybe it won't be as bad as you think! It is amazing how much better people feel even after the first day! It won't be so bad!! It's the beginning of a better future! You are NOT alone! We are so glad you're here with us! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie for your encouragement. I certainly need heaps of that at the moment! My worst fear is drinking whilst on AB,have done it once before with devastating effects. Just shows how addictive al can be. Thanks again

Comment

Newbies Nest

I remember K9 saying that her head didn't quite spin around 360* after having drank, but it was like something out of a Stephen King novel! Projectile vomiting! That should be deterrent enough to keep you on the right track. She says the key is to just take the pill in the morning when your resolve is best. Just take it without thinking about it. She has no side effects at all.
              We are ALL pulling for you!! You got this! B
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1502901 wrote: Simply awesome. At 100 days there's absolutely no reason to ever go back. See you there in July...July 10th to be exact. Thanks for leading the way...
                Thank you Fin!! And you are right, at 100 days there's absolutely no reason to ever go back....but is there EVER a reason?? NO!!
                And at 100+ days, I can still hear dickhead telling me I can have a glass, I can handle it. Go away!! Stop bothering me!! (dickhead, not you:H)
                While I feel strong, I am still very guarded and will be for a long time to come. But that is OK because with each day passing AF, I am getting stronger and stronger!! And, like Rooni, I am LOVING being AF
                Life is beautiful without AL
                Don't you think?
                I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Fin
                  jennitec byrdie
                  I am the bad person today. At least to my daughter. Instead of my usual smile and nod an compliance when commanded to do something, I said no. That is a start to showing my own mind. To others as well as myself. All that stress of doing when I am not really able has led to drinking in the past. This is a new me. I am not only going to stop drinking, I am going to stop doing what everyone else demands and only do what makes me comfortable.
                  Sorry for rambling.
                  Day 11
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Like the attitude little beagle
                    You do what is right for you, let other people figure themselves out!

Byrdie, I turned off the auto correct feature on my iPhone & iPad, couldn't stand that thing (makes you look like a moron at times :H)

Had a busy day today & I know tomorrow will be the same. Busy with a clear head is OK in my book

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Am loving the positive vibes in the nest, have been reading alot and just realize that this is such a supportive place to be! Hope everyone has a wonderful AF week.
                      On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1503083 wrote: Life is beautiful without AL
                        Don't you think?
                        Without a doubt Jenniech! :h
                        On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Little Beagle, Congatulaions for saying no. YOU owned the moment! I like you, could never say NO, just ran myself ragged for everyone and of course hit the bottle just to cope. It feels good to say no occassionaly. WE can,t be super parents all the time,so why even try. Its good for kids to have to wait and a skill they need to learn if they want to be well adjusted adults. Keep it up!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!

Lil B, the Disease to Please runs right alongside ALK, in my opinion. Learning that we do have some control and the ability to say NO to things is very empowering. When you learn you can say NO to DickHead (the Ultimate Force) you learn you can say NO to other things, too...and it's OK!! People don't die because you didn't do something! The yard sale will go on....the choir at church will go on to sing another day! Getting control BACK is part of this whole process and it feels really good! Go YOU!!!

Traveling today for work! I really need the business so wish me luck! Let's all go out and make it a great day! Byrdie
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning

Just another newbie checking in to say hello

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters

Hello & welcome woody13!
                                Glad you found us, please settle in & make yourself comfortable. A great place to start is by reading the MWO book. You can download it right from the Health store here on the site.

I like your terminology Byrdie - the Disease to Please!
                                I've been plagued with that my entire life, brought me nothing but misery. I hope everyone realizes just how important it is to put yourself in first place & make a good plan for recovery

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Thursday!
                                Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X