Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thank you Jennie,I get just as much back from your inspiring journey.
    AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Newbies Nest

Patrick;1504077 wrote: Hi Tess
      I guess I am what you would term a hoverer(is that a word?)so I thought I would explain what we are.
      I don't post much except for roll call and the odd encouragement but every day I read the NN for help and inspiration.I am now sober over 200 days and it is totally down to the NN
      and the likes of Byrdy,Kuya , Lav, K9 et al .But equally the people who have just joined, or are struggling ,or who are tempted or who are just pissed off with being not able to drink normally are making the same contribution to my sobriety.
      So, why dont I post more or contribute then?I feel that that usually anything I would have said has been said sooner and better by someone else.I feel that its ok not to post if I dont feel like it.Some times I feel shy,sometimes my ADHD kicks in and halfway through typing I say "aaah fuck it"and cancel my reply.Sometimes I have nothing to say.What I am trying to say is that there is probably a million reasons why someone might not "contribute" to the nest but I would not believe for a second they are there for any other reason than to get sober.That is what it is there for and that is why so many wonderful people spend their time giving help and advice there.So to start calling people sneaky seems to me a bit unfair.I looked back through my posts and even though I have read every single post in the NN since I joined, I contribute rarely.But for me (and others I hope)it is the most important area of the site.It is where everyone joining is directed to and to be called sneaky is
      (I think) very harsh.not everyone is articulate,not everyone has a college degree,and sometime its as simple as not everyone is ready to talk.
      No, Patrick, YOU do not hover. People who hover over Newbies Nest do it for entertainment. And then they send personal messages to write critical words without needing to be responsible for their comments. Who's going to know, right? (Well, a few in NN will publicize personal messages, but most of us do not.)

I already regret checking back in. However, I am grateful for sobriety. Very grateful!!

People do not need to be articulate or college educated to post on Newbies Nest. The only requirement is honesty.

I wish for All of you an alcohol free journey. :heartsnflowers:
      Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
      pointed the way
      with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Patrick;1504077 wrote: Hi Tess
        I guess I am what you would term a hoverer(is that a word?)so I thought I would explain what we are.
        I don't post much except for roll call and the odd encouragement but every day I read the NN for help and inspiration.I am now sober over 200 days and it is totally down to the NN
        and the likes of Byrdy,Kuya , Lav, K9 et al .But equally the people who have just joined, or are struggling ,or who are tempted or who are just pissed off with being not able to drink normally are making the same contribution to my sobriety.
        So, why dont I post more or contribute then?I feel that that usually anything I would have said has been said sooner and better by someone else.I feel that its ok not to post if I dont feel like it.Some times I feel shy,sometimes my ADHD kicks in and halfway through typing I say "aaah fuck it"and cancel my reply.Sometimes I have nothing to say.What I am trying to say is that there is probably a million reasons why someone might not "contribute" to the nest but I would not believe for a second they are there for any other reason than to get sober.That is what it is there for and that is why so many wonderful people spend their time giving help and advice there.So to start calling people sneaky seems to me a bit unfair.I looked back through my posts and even though I have read every single post in the NN since I joined, I contribute rarely.But for me (and others I hope)it is the most important area of the site.It is where everyone joining is directed to and to be called sneaky is
        (I think) very harsh.not everyone is articulate,not everyone has a college degree,and sometime its as simple as not everyone is ready to talk.
        Tess-2;1504087 wrote:
        No, Patrick, YOU do not hover. People who hover over Newbies Nest do it for entertainment. And then they send personal messages to write critical words without needing to be responsible for their comments. Who's going to know, right? (Well, a few in NN will publicize personal messages, but most of us do not.)

I already regret checking back in. However, I am grateful for sobriety. Very grateful!!

People do not need to be articulate or college educated to post on Newbies Nest. The only requirement is honesty.

I wish for All of you an alcohol free journey. :heartsnflowers:
        First of all, how good to see you Tess

Your sudden departure made me fear you were drinking again, so I am SO happy that you are happily sober. Congrats on the upcoming graduation, you have worked so hard.

Patrick.....I think you misunderstood Tess. Like her I have had PMs from folk who have commented on something they have read but not had the balls to post openly. As Tess says I will just OUT these PMs onto the thread.

Tess ....... I don't know who sent you what or when but there are some who attempt to manipulate behind the scenes. Ignore them.

I hope you contribute here, or drop in from time to time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Sitting in the middle of a thunder storm at the moment!

Kuya, I call those sneaky PMs from non-contributing members 'nasty-grams' :H:H
          I usually give them a one line reply then just ignore them

Tess, glad you checked in & congrats on your success & graduation!

Patrick, it's probably a damn good thing that not everyone is a big talker around here! How would we have time to do anything else but read & write posts?? I always appreciate your presence & am happy for your 200+ AF days!

Greetings to everyone & wishes for a safe night in the nest!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

"The one thing in life I've learned is to stay true to yourself, and be able to look in the mirror and like what you see" Pink...."the rest is just noise"

I love working out to Pink, and this intro to one of her songs always rings true to me, we can only control what WE do and nothing else...
            Tess thanks for your awesome thoughts about how your AF life is going strong..I love reading those positive, inspiring messages from those who have continued on the AF path. They make me even more sure that I've chosen the right path and how important it is to continue . :l
            On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello, NN members,

I'm enjoying a family trip with celebratory meals and dinners out in nice restaurants. Alcohol has of course been constantly available and while some of the people I am with have consumed it in moderation, others (including me! ) have had none. I've not even been interested, I'm happy to say.

They make it so dang easy to drink! Three kinds of free beer are on tap in the lobby of our hotel and in the little market that sells snacks, there is a shelf of those small bottles of wine and this is the sign under them:
              INDULGE YOUR CRAVINGS!

Good grief! We have to stay on guard and ignore this BS!

If you are ever wondering if it is worth swimming against this strong tide, just go take a look at Spiderwoman's post about her 150 days AF: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...1-a-76826.html. When you read this, you'll know it is worth doing whatever it takes!

Have a safe and sober weekend! :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Tess
                To be fair I was only responding to what(to me) seemed to be a sweeping generalization and as this was not the case I humbly apologize if I caused you any offence .i also think you should consider outing the cowards for the slimeballs that they are.It would be a shame if people like that got away with that sort of behavior and pushed newcomers out.I have always found you a helpful and inspiring poster and it would be a great pity if the slimeballs drove you away.
                AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters, Hope everyone is having a nice a/f weekend and kicking your goals! I started AB a few days ago and alll is well at this stage. I did have some massive cravings last night but knowing that drinking on AB can be very dangerous, the cravings didn't last that long.I took AB last year but decided after about 6 weeks af to try moderating. WOW what a disaster that was. I am an alkie and can never moderate. What was I thinking? Anyhow,here we are sober on a beautiful Autumn day in OZ. So nice not to be Hungover. Good Luck everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning!! Another rainy day here on the east coast of US. But it is SO GREEN outside....I am grateful for feeling good today....no hangover and loving it!!
                    Happy Saturday!
                    I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

It sure is green outside jennie
                      Awaiting the arrival of some sunshine, hope it gets here.

Wishing everyone a relaxing but goal oriented weekend - stick to your plans
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning,

Hope everyone is doing well! Gearing up for the boys' soccer & baseball games. It is so nice to enjoy these without a hangover.

Sunny day in Chicago, going to try to squeeze in some gardening. Our yard is a disaster & our moose of labrador keeps trampling my plants.

Take Care!
                        cocoflo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning, Nesters! My big plan to sleep in this morning was thwarted by an overzealous Chihuahua who was ready to play!

Patrick, thank you so much for the kind words. You post Quality, not Quantity!

Cocoflo....you must post a snap of your Lab! We want to see this Moose!!!

Hadit....most of us have traveled that road of moderation. Unfortunately, a person has a better shot at winning the lottery than making that work. We are so glad you're here. You will quickly find that being AF puts a level of peace in your mind that is priceless. You can't moderate addiction, and that finally sunk into my thick head. I gave it an honest shot (until it almost killed me!). Settle in and make yourself comfy.

Watch out for the pity parties this weekend! Everyone else is NOT drinking, DickHead just wants us to think that. A Saturday spent sober is 1000 times better than any I ever spent drunk.

I was thinking about this question this morning.....Who would I be more jealous of....the people who do drink or the people who don't? That's a good question! I think I'm more envious of the people who don't! So that's what I am hitching my wagon to! Hold your heads up high! It IS something to be proud of! Have a wonderful sober Sattidy! XO, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

just got back from the gym. During the intense work out class, I finished my bottle of water so went to fill it back up. A woman was standing there panting and looking miserable. She said "i should have just stuck to one glass of wine last night instead of two". I was so tempted to say "oh, i gave all that up....there is much more to life and I was tired of feeling like crap during my workouts".....that is what I thought, but not what i said.
                            It was still a little awkward though. I mean, I can't say, "oh, I agree!!" I just sort of smiled and said "Uh Huh"
                            I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1504260 wrote: just got back from the gym. During the intense work out class, I finished my bottle of water so went to fill it back up. A woman was standing there panting and looking miserable. She said "i should have just stuck to one glass of wine last night instead of two". I was so tempted to say "oh, i gave all that up....there is much more to life and I was tired of feeling like crap during my workouts".....that is what I thought, but not what i said.
                              It was still a little awkward though. I mean, I can't say, "oh, I agree!!" I just sort of smiled and said "Uh Huh"
                              Hi Jenni....... In those situations I always state, in a matter of fact way ' I don't drink ' . It is not said with either pride or apology, but every time I say it to another person I have said it to myself. It empowers me to be that person.

Sometimes folk say ' what, never?' And I just say ' no'. No one has ever questioned me as to why, a couple have gone on to say that they are drinking too much.

What we have done Jenni is a positive, strong thing to be owned. It is WHO we now are, for which I am eternally grateful.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning friends. I'm enjoying my coffee and catching up on all the great posts here.
                                The last three posts (Jenni, Byrdie, and Kuya) got me thinking. I was always jealous of the people who didn't drink too. They seemed to have a sense of calm in their life that I wanted for myself. Like Kuya, I now tell people that I don't drink at all. I usually say something to the effect of being much happier now, which is the truth. Sometimes I get an acknowledgement from someone's expression that implies to me they might like to try it too. I think that's an important role we can play. Not being militant about it, but putting the suggestion out there that there is a better life. I know I suffered privately for years with my drinking...

Tess, great to see you again!

Have a great AF day friends!
                                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Working...
                                X