Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Snapdragon;1505508 wrote: It's great to read so many positive posts here and I wanted to share that finally at 44 days I am feeling so much stronger, alcohol isn't my first and foremost thought of every day - in fact I can get through pretty much the entire day on occasions without thinking about it much - a massive step forward for me...

Greetings to All,

Dear Snapdragon - way to go with 44 days!! So proud of you!! Yes, it is fabulous when our brain begins to heal and, as you say so well, alcohol isn't our first and foremost thought of every day. :threesome:

Last night I was thinking that in the beginning of recovery from alcoholism I thought I was losing something that I needed and wanted; something that was very important to me. I could hardly imagine living life without it. I felt the sadness that comes with any significant loss. And I felt somewhat angry that I was required to abstain from something that others could freely partake of. It was a sense of deprivation.

Now, four months later, I realize that I have gained so very much. I feel the joy that comes with an abundance of the simple things in life. Real joy!!

Early on in recovery I began to save the money that I would otherwise spend on alcohol. Wow! Did it add up in a hurry! Now I am using that money to improve the landscaping in our back yard. It feels great to dig up the dirt, improve the soil, choose plants from the nursery, plant them, and then sit on our deck with a glass of iced tea and enjoy the beauty of nature.

It also feels great to wake up in the morning with a clear head and heart that sings. Hmm... I was so afraid that I was going to be missing out on all of the fun in life. If the things that I "lost" are considered to be fun (being sick all of the time, crawling to bed because I am unable to walk - and vomiting along the way, lying, sneaking, and hating myself, to name a few), then I wonder what misery
    must feel like??... :question2:
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

T-2, how weird you should just post that....I was looking back on my early days JUST NOW and found this....almost your exact words!
      We all are more similar than we are different!
      Here's what I wrote back on my day 20!

Byrdlady;1056296 wrote: Ok, I'll speak up! 20 days AF today! May I say, that day 13 was the real turning point for me. I am having fewer cravings and the feelings that I am missing out are going away. I'm not missing out at all! I'm participating! I am so inspired by you, Jolie, who has been on this struggle right beside me. I do feel as tho we are kindred spirits...and true friends. Thanks to everyone for the words that help me along every day. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1506080 wrote: T-2, how weird you should just post that....I was looking back on my early days JUST NOW and found this....almost your exact words!
        We all are more similar than we are different!
        Yup Byrdie, We are all more similar than we are different. So very true!!

The trick that our alcoholic brain plays on us, that we are going to be miserable without alcohol, is probably the oldest trick in the book. Still, it seems that each one of us must discover this truth for ourselves: Life is immensely better when we are sober. :thumbs:

The man pulling radishes
        pointed the way
        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Afternoon all,
          Wednesday is laundry day....I decided to take that back since I am home..dh was doing it while i was working but I like the way I do it better...no red shop rag in with the white stuff....;-))
          Bank stuff tomorrow for us and dad....then we move his furniture to the new place on Friday. They are calling it an apartment but that is a stretch IMHO....but had to get him a few things he didnt have. And found him a new jacket to replace the one with the duct tape...sure hope he likes it.....
          dottie
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Life sure is immensely better sober!

Greetings Nester's.

Great to see some cracking AF time being racked up 'round here. Inspirational non? Oui!

Launching into day 3. There is no failure.

Take care everyone and think positive. Yo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters!
              Day 15 for me and all well!
              Hubby has also joined for an AF 30 which helps too. He went out on a business lunch today. The two people he was with ordered a bottle of wine to share... and they didn't even finish the bottle!! How the other half live eh?!
              :hug:
              AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all....another cold, wet and miserable day in Melbourne. Luckily for me I LOVE this weather, it gives me an excuse to be a slob and hang around in my favourite daggy clothes and ugg boots. :H

Day 16 starts for me, and last night I slept through the night for the first time since I can remember. What an amazing experience to wake up to see light through the curtain!

Still on Naltrexone and Baclofen (50mg and 75mg per day respectively), still not suffering from side effects (apart from a bit of tiredness in mid-afternoon each day) and ROCKING IT with no cravings or other problems.

I'm quite liking this sober thing.

Here's hoping that others have an easy day today. :thanks:

kambob
                Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sodagirl:
                  Hang in there.
                  Thanks Tess-2 and Byrdie. Those were inspirational posts. I am still feeling Really Tired and wondering if I will ever be energetic again. I have to come home from work and nap just to get up and cook dinner. My poor beagles are getting fat!
                  I am worried. In laws are suppose to visit us and the want to go to Bourbon Street and party. I already told my hubby I don't want to go, but he is insisting that is rude of me. I think it is too soon for me to be around so much alcohol and drinkers. :exclamation:
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

little beagle;1506164 wrote:
                    I am worried. In laws are suppose to visit us and the want to go to Bourbon Street and party. I already told my hubby I don't want to go, but he is insisting that is rude of me. I think it is too soon for me to be around so much alcohol and drinkers. :exclamation:
                    Rude, schmood, who cares? You know best what is best for you at this time, and staying out of high-risk situations is absolutely wise, not rude. The inlaws don't have to know why you're not going to the festival, and I'm sure your husband can be creative when it comes to finding a reason for your absence. Plant your foot down and stick to your guns. (sorry to mix metaphors there!)

Would he insist you attend if you'd just come out of hospital after a major illness or operation? I'd suspect not: recovering from alcohol addiction is as serious and should not be taken lightly. Trust your gut here, there will be plenty of time to hang out with the rellies anyway, just not at Bourbon Street.

Take care little beagle.

kambob
                    Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kambob! I like your attitude! And I heartily agree!
                      Tell the In-Laws you've got 'The Trots'! :H That gets me out of many engagements I don't want to go to! (but I have ulcerative colitis, sorry, TMI)

As I get older I am taking back some of the power I lost all these years...by golly if I really don't want to do something, I don't do it anymore! This is my time in life and I'm not going to spend it at the mercy of others! They certainly don't drop everything they are doing for me! Not sure where that came from, but glad it's out!!

Wine-No....I never had any leftover wine, I didn't know there was such a thing! That's just crazy-talk! Sort of like the shelf life of cake.... no one knows!!!:H

G man, rounding into Day 3 is GREAT! We're so glad you're here!! That makes 3 stringed instrument players in the group!! Ann Carolina plays, too, we should start a band!! The My Way Outers!! I will be the groupie!

Have a safe night in the nest....here is the super duper butt Velcro! Tear off a piece and pass it to the right.....XXOO, Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Samstone;1505722 wrote: Good evening all. Just got back from a night with the boys playing music. I enjoyed playing and not even really tempted to have a scotch or beer and wasn't hassled about it either. This weekend's the real acid test... fiddle festival which usually involves late nights and for some, which WAS me, consumption.

I forward to no hangover and fun.

SS
                        Hi Samstone - I know this scene all too well. I go to the RockyGrass Academy in Lyons, CO each year and it's mayhem. I'm finding it so much easier not to drink at these things, however. Mainly because I can play so much better. I mean good lord...some of those late night jams are so lousy but you'd never know it all tanked so on and on one goes into oblivion. Better to call it an early night and have one's wits intact the following day if you ask me.
                        Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                        Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

GOOD morning Nesters, About to head out to work. Its strange being on the other side of the world. I get up in the morning to see the Nest has been a busy place overnight and don't get to catch up on all the post till later today!! Keep strong Nesters Day 8 here and feeling good !Catch up later.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1443257 wrote: Tess...it's really a double life we were leading, no? My family has NO IDEA either...even hubs didn't know the total extent. Over time, it will get easier to discuss with your spouse...at first I wanted to keep it to myself, just in case I went back to AL I didn't want him to know how bad it was, after all, he might follow me to my closet or find my stash. Now, he pretty much knows and accepts everything...but he doesn't understand how the ALK brain works. 'Why don't you just quit for a while?' I would stare at him like a mime when he said that? What a great question....He still doesn't understand that ONE drink will set me back to the beginning. Oh well....that's why I have THIS PLACE! To be amongst like minded folks who know the day to day struggles...and successes!!

Stay strong everyone....Byrdie
                            So, Byrdie, I'm reminiscing a bit about the early days of sobriety. I found this post. You were so understanding and supportive. Thank you!! You have been a gem every step of the way and I so much appreciate you!! :thanks:

The man pulling radishes
                            pointed the way
                            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all,

well did not get the pool cleaned out, my help did not show up. Oh well there is always Saturday.

Finishing day 12, it is great to see so much positive energy around here it is so inspiring, you guys have helped me more than you could ever know, me and my family thank each and everyone of you.

Looking forward to day 13. About to chillax with my husband and then off to bed. Hope sleep is better tonight.

Hope everyone has sweet dreams tonight and stay nice and snuggled in the nest.

C-ya in the am, to face day 14.
                              JDG
                              Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

OK, Byrd, I love all of your posts, but I have to say, when you talked of sucking on Charms "Blow" pops...all I could do was laugh and in fact it's almost 8:30 pm and I'm still laughing over that. You see, when I was in high school in around 1985, we used to say to all our friends who dated, "so, did you give the charms and did you get to the center?" that came from a comercial years ago for charms blow pops with the owl....how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Charms blow pop and they start...one, two three...crunch...OMG...OUCH for all you men reading this...but it kept me from not drinking today and I may just break a tooth

I remember years ago when Billy Crystal said "You know what, its not fun and it's not funny."

I still have that in my head and I just today I am using this..because, you know what, it's not fun and it's not funny. I think I will you tube this because I can't remember where I got this from.

Still hanging on and waiting for my kids to get back from baseball at almost nine pm...OH, their father drives me NUTS...this is why I drank in the first place. Please all pray or send good wishes my way. I have the beds turned down and pjs out and ready to get into.

Again, thank you for listening and support. :h

Comment

Working...
                                X