Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Had a really rough evening last night. I worked in the office yesterday, but had an anxiety attack while driving to work, a lot milder, but still scared me. My bosses are out of town so basically I was there to watch over things and could have easily stopped off and grabbed a couple beers to "calm" myself, but then how could I drive home to get my kids off the bus? I had my xanax with me and got through it...cried alot and drank water and tea and ate and ate until I gave myself a stomach ache, but I made it. I felt much better and made it home and actually for the first time in WEEKS went to a grocery store and purchased fresh stuff for dinner before my daughter's band concert. There was not yelling on my end, I was calm and happy. I drove to the school, got seated with my son and the anxiety hit again. I began to sweat and my head started swimming and I just wanted to leave. I kept thinking, what if I pass out? Or, people are going to find out my secret on how much I drink and how much I have just been drinking. I went to the bathroom, came back and they had opened one of the doors by me so a cool breeze was blowing. I prayed that I get through this and get my children home safely and that I remain safe. I made it through the concert, the feeling passed and my daughter needed to finish homework. Well, I needed to run out at 9:30am to get printer paper and I was fine. We all went to bed around 10:30, I was exhausted and I prayed and actually slept most of the night. I did have some sweats, but woke up feeling much better. UNTIL around 7:15am when because I was feeling so well, but brain said, "see it's not so bad, go grab some beer and just have a couple." I quickly remembered yesterday's drive to work, the prayers I said to God, the feeling I got at my daughter's concert and how I need to mow the lawn today and I PROMISED my kids I would make their baseball game tomorrow morning at 9am. I know I can't do any of that if I drink. I cried and made some coffee and took the ALLONE powder and prayed again. The thought has passed for now, but I am terrified that it will come back. I have the powder L-Glut. How much do you take in an emergency situation? I know it can be fast acting to quickly cut those cravings and I'm working on the 'VOICE', but damn it, sometimes I can't get him to just shut the fuck up! Thanks for listening and any advice, please? I don't want to go backwards.:upset:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Soda girl ..... Every day the withdrawals will get less. Fear that they will stay the same makes people drink to stop them. IT WILL PASS.

Think about it.....none of us are superhumans...........we would ALL have caved in and drunk if the symptoms stayed that bad.

It will pass, tomorrow will be a better day.

Well done for not giving in. Get an early night, you will be so proud of yourself in the morning.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Sodagirl

Look at what you went through in one day and SURVIVED WITHOUT DRINKING. You should be feeling good about how strong you are.

You did it, and you can do it again. Just deal with each thing as it comes up rather than worrying about it coming up. (However, be prepared with your tools such as food and AF drinks you like ).

Like Kuya says, the physical problems will come up less and less frequently so don't waste your mental energy anticipating them. Keep with it and by next week this time, they could be a thing of the past.

Go check out Pearl's thread and read her first and week one posts-- it is hard to believe they were written by the same person!! Things can change for you so much more quickly than you would think.

Hang in there and keep posting!! It generally is kind of slow around here on weekends so just go back to earlier days in the Nest. What you are going through now, other people were going through then, so you'll get the advice and encouragement you need (plus you'll get a glimpse into how far some people have come, which is very inspiring). We really are more alike than different.

All the best to you, NS :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
          G-man and Tess, thank you very much for the kind words! That makes up for the lousy pay around here!!! :h

Today is Friday for some of us! Just another day on the calendar (see Lav and Stella on the hilltop proclaiming this, ehehehe). It's not a ticket to Boozeville! Try and quiet those old voices with new voices! Ones that are saying YOU CAN DO THIS...because you ARE doing this! Just Rinse and Repeat! Before you know it, Jenni will be showing her arse to you! Eheheh....with her Full Moon Award! If you got thru the last 15 minutes, you can get thru the next 15!

Hope everyone has a good solid plan in place...don't let Dick Head catch you with your britches down! He is a sneaky B. Plan for contingences and you won't regret it! Be safe, sober and happy today! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Soda Girl

today will be day 3 AF for me, I know the weekends can be tricky.. I have 2 young children, and i suffered from anxiety attacks which would make me turn immediately to Wine and cigarettes to calm myself ( self medication) my Dr diagnosed me with GAD ( generalized anxiety disorder, ( one time the anxiety was so severe, i thought i was having a heart attack.... he perscribed me wellabutrin and high blood pressure medicine... Its helping ALOT, since im taking it regularly now instead of sporadically, He wrote it is Imperative that i stop drinking.. The wellabutrin is helping with the cravings

Comment

Newbies Nest

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KUYA
              and just for you
              some fart jokes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHfllwAUdIM[/video]]Billy Connolly Tells Just About the Funniest Story Ever - YouTube
              AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Newbies Nest

Samstone;1506650 wrote: Hey Fin
                I scratch old time fiddle, play some clawhammer banjo. Bought me one of those banjo-mandolins a couple years ago, that's fun but can be obnoxious.

hard to beat bluegrass mando!

Been thinking on this weekend coming up, I think for me the key is not to make a big deal out of it, don't drink, and enjoy. There are a lot of good folks at these things so I just need to enjoy their company and look past the booze. I haven't a drink for 6 days and really has been ok. I've needed water more than anything. I do survey work and we've been chopping lots of brush the last couple days so not drinking and hydrating have been real good thing.

have a good one!
                Nice! Do you have any recordings? Also, your plan sounds like a good one. Stay committed to it.
                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

I guess I am not actually just starting out, I have quit before, but always go back. I have been on this site before, but a long time ago, so now I am starting out fresh, new name new mind set. Today is day 1, I have been AF for up to 3 months, but unfortunately I allowed a stressfull situation at home to give me an excuse, I almost said reason, silly I know.
                  Today my life has changed and is going in a very positive direction, and I want this part of my life to be left behind for good.
                  I am tired of drinking till all my wine is gone, I do not like how my head feels, waking through the night, craving it all the time. Just last week I went 7 days, but having that glass was all I could think about. Two nights ago I said that is it, I will not drink tomorrow, but I did. I knew deep inside today I would stop, as someone once said "I can stop anytime, I just cannot stop starting!"
                  I remember being on here before and got lots of empathy, support and no judgement. Well actually I did get judgement once the last time I was on this site. I guess I can understand when someone stops and starts how it can make another make comments like you have done this before and so on. I also know we all have done this before, we have all tried to quit, some more successfully than others.
                  So here I am again, LORD hoping I do win this time.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1506920 wrote: Good Morning, Nesters!
                    G-man and Tess, thank you very much for the kind words! That makes up for the lousy pay around here!!! :h

Today is Friday for some of us! Just another day on the calendar (see Lav and Stella on the hilltop proclaiming this, ehehehe). It's not a ticket to Boozeville! Try and quiet those old voices with new voices! Ones that are saying YOU CAN DO THIS...because you ARE doing this! Just Rinse and Repeat! Before you know it, Jenni will be showing her arse to you! Eheheh....with her Full Moon Award! If you got thru the last 15 minutes, you can get thru the next 15!

Hope everyone has a good solid plan in place...don't let Dick Head catch you with your britches down! He is a sneaky B. Plan for contingences and you won't regret it! Be safe, sober and happy today! Byrdie
                    Dear Byrdie,

I woke up this morning and was thinking and thinking and thinking some more. I think way too much!! I can't seem to help myself. I take things so seriously and I'm forever trying to solve the puzzle of life.

I just logged in to see "what's happening" in The Nest. When I read your post I started laughing. I'm still laughing. Maybe life doesn't need to be SO serious!!

You're right, the pay around here is suboptimal - given that you don't get one cent!! Good thing you don't need money for alcohol... I would send you flowers and chocolate but you live in cyberspace. So here's the best I can do: :heartsnflowers: :choc:

Today is NOT a ticket to Boozeville?? What the heck!! You're a real stick-in-the mud, just like me. Bummer!! :bum: (I was not quite sure what this icon was, but the description is bum...) Jennie is probably familiar with it, given that she grants the Newbies Nest coveted awards.

You're right again, it's especially important to be vigilant when one's britches are down. It's a very vulnerable moment!! ants: (The description for this icon is pants. Really, it is!!)

Okay silly girl, have a fab Friday!! We love ya bunches!! :lolly:
                    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                    pointed the way
                    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Donehere;1506970 wrote: I guess I am not actually just starting out, I have quit before, but always go back. I have been on this site before, but a long time ago, so now I am starting out fresh, new name new mind set. Today is day 1, I have been AF for up to 3 months, but unfortunately I allowed a stressfull situation at home to give me an excuse, I almost said reason, silly I know.
                      Today my life has changed and is going in a very positive direction, and I want this part of my life to be left behind for good.
                      I am tired of drinking till all my wine is gone, I do not like how my head feels, waking through the night, craving it all the time. Just last week I went 7 days, but having that glass was all I could think about. Two nights ago I said that is it, I will not drink tomorrow, but I did. I knew deep inside today I would stop, as someone once said "I can stop anytime, I just cannot stop starting!"
                      I remember being on here before and got lots of empathy, support and no judgement. Well actually I did get judgement once the last time I was on this site. I guess I can understand when someone stops and starts how it can make another make comments like you have done this before and so on. I also know we all have done this before, we have all tried to quit, some more successfully than others.
                      So here I am again, LORD hoping I do win this time.:h
                      Dear Donehere,

Welcome back!! We are happy that you are here. I'd like to be able to say that The Nest has a new color scheme and an updated tree with a tropical view. But no, we're on a tight budget. However, there are lots of extra twigs and plenty of space for Any and All. It's quite cozy!!

You are going to quit just like the rest of us: one tiny moment at a time. One decision after another to say, No!! This is a great place to get information and support and some much needed love and care. Yup, you will be held accountable, as we all are, but that is the "love" part -- though it may not always feel like it.

My humble advice is to get any and all alcohol out of your home. Replace the alcohol with fun and fabulous beverages that you enjoy and that are somewhat healthy. Hydrate, and then hydrate some more. Eat to your heart's content. Be kind to yourself. Indulge in a few simple things that you may not usually partake of: a movie out, a short walk where you take notice of everything you see, and my personal fave - savor a few pages from a favorite book. Do whatever "rows your boat."

Check in with The Nest at least once a day. If you feel stressed or are having cravings, logon and talk to us about it. We may not be able to respond immediately, but while you are waiting for a response you can read previous posts or explore the toolbox.

You are on Day 1. That is awesome!! Tomorrow will be Day 2. You can live your life free from slavery to alcohol. Yes, you can do it!!

The man pulling radishes
                      pointed the way
                      with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess!! :H:H:H

Great advice, Donehere! Nothing to do now but to do it! We are right here by your side! Glad you are back!

Work is keeping me hopping today! That's a good thing!
                        K9 will be by with the PEP SQUAD shortly to give us her words to live by!!
                        Great job everyone! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Right on.
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

JackDanielsGirl;1506588 wrote: Byrdie,

I can totally relate to the TV/Cable ads. AL is much more powerful and deadly than smoking. While neither is beneficial to our health many people can drive and smoke without having a wreck and hurting someone but the No1 cause under texting is drunk driving. I totally agree with removing all AL ads.

Wonder who one would call to complain???? Hmmmmm.......something to think about.

Hi JackDanielsGirl,

In my mind, I am taking the liberty of changing your name to Previously Jack Daniel's Girl, or PJDG as a shortcut. No one owns you -- least of all a lousy bottle of booze.

I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for being here!!

I've been thinking about your question: who would one call to complain about removing all AL ads? Honestly, I don't know. I think we are up against the Big Boys in this. There is money, lots of money, in the sale of alcohol. My hunch is that the manufacturers and distributors of alcohol could not care less about the death toll. Just keep the cash flowing in, right?

But we can be free of the deadly effects of alcohol in our personal lives. And by doing so we set a healthy and peaceful example for our friends and neighbors who are struggling with addiction too (though we may not be aware of their pain).

Keep posting. ~

The man pulling radishes
                            pointed the way
                            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Just checking in. Hope everyone is safe and sound. Passing the butt Velcro to the right...

Edit : Day 6.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Got dads furniture moved...it was way too hot to do this ourselves and I got over heated and darn near passed out....thankfully we ran into one of the owners of the facility and he offered 2 of his folks to help us move the rest of the stuff in...I could not have done this...what is wrong with me anyway....ugh.....tomorrow I will set up the room after we move him there...I was just out of steam today...
                                Dottie
                                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Working...
                                X