Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

bcp2013;1508496 wrote: Hi all,sorry to here about the tornados,sad,anyway hope your weekend was great,mine was sober now for 52 days,was a bit hard on sat ,l got through it,was a little grumpy now okay,must of been cause long weekend here in Canada,anyway I've been laughing more since l quit drinking,l never feel guilt anymore,l feel more alive,I've been walking more and just more in the now,instead like my husband put it,why do we want to walk around like we are institutionalized,and drugged up they don't have a choice we do,makes a lot of sense,sometimes our mind plays tricks with us,you know it's funny but if we just know it's a thought and a thought can be changed it will make this journey easier,all the best Tuesday everyone,I'm off to work now!!
    Dear bcp2013,

Like you, my heart is sick over the disaster in Oklahoma. I just spent the weekend with my six-year-old niece, so her innocence and super-cute playfulness are fresh in my memory. I think of every child and every parent who is trying to cope with something that can hardly be imagined.

Congrats on 52 AF days!! :thumbs: I enjoy what you say about feeling more alive and and being "just more in the now." Oh! If we could all simply live in the Now! No regrets over the past; no worries about the future. Hmm... something to aspire to.

I hope your workday goes well. And thanks for your inspiring post. ~
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi -

I am just starting out. I've been wanting to stop drinking for a while and I have decided that last night was my last night. Drinking is making me unproductive and causing me to do things I normally never would. I've betrayed my husband multiple times, I blackout on occasion, and am worried about my health. And am concerned that I am setting a horrible example for my infant son.

As of yesterday, I had been regularly drinking a bottle of wine, sometimes more, most nights of the week. I really don't know how to stop though, I've tried and usually fail after about 3 or 4 days. I stopped while I was pregnant, but the cravings never entirely went away. My husband has a drinking problem too and I am not entirely sure he will be willing to stop drinking with me. I guess I am just feeling lost as to what to do. I'm not sure this post is even very coherent. I am hoping just posting this will make me feel as though I am accountable to someone/something because it seems myself and my family are not enough (so pathetic - I love my family! Why the hell can't I quit for them?).

Comment

Newbies Nest

mkiser....other than your infant son, I could have written that post.
        Why can't you stop? Well, that is the power of this addiction! We were just talking about this over on another thread, it tells you black when you clearly see white! Every single one of us know what you are feeling! We should all know better, but we cannot turn it off! It's very frustrating when your intellectual mind tells you to stop and your Addiction Head (Dick Head) tells you to drink. Therein lies the rub.
        The Tool Box (link is below in my signature line) is a great place to start. Once you've made up your mind, that's half the battle. As in any fight, you want to set yourself up for success. Get all the AL out of your space. Yes....all of it, even the stashes. I know, I fought this, too....but you don't need a safety net because you are going to succeed! Surround yourself with things you love to EAT and do! When you get a craving...go eat something! Keeping that tummy full will go a long way in getting your over the hump!! As ALK, we are used to drinking our calories, so the idea of eating eludes us many times. If you immerse yourself in this site, it'll keep you busy for hours!!! And it's all good! This site can help you beat this thing! Look at me, over 2 years sober! If a 25 year nightly drinker can get sober, I feel really good about you! Just jump in and post! We are so glad you found us! Settle in and stay for a while!! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all. Not been around these parts for a while but looking to get back on the sober train so looking for a bit of support. Lots of changes, all of which happened whilst sober, no suprise there, but the old demons been creeping in. If you'll have me, love to join in.
          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

mkiser;1508636 wrote: Hi -

I am just starting out. I've been wanting to stop drinking for a while and I have decided that last night was my last night. Drinking is making me unproductive and causing me to do things I normally never would. I've betrayed my husband multiple times, I blackout on occasion, and am worried about my health. And am concerned that I am setting a horrible example for my infant son.

As of yesterday, I had been regularly drinking a bottle of wine, sometimes more, most nights of the week. I really don't know how to stop though, I've tried and usually fail after about 3 or 4 days. I stopped while I was pregnant, but the cravings never entirely went away. My husband has a drinking problem too and I am not entirely sure he will be willing to stop drinking with me. I guess I am just feeling lost as to what to do. I'm not sure this post is even very coherent. I am hoping just posting this will make me feel as though I am accountable to someone/something because it seems myself and my family are not enough (so pathetic - I love my family! Why the hell can't I quit for them?).

Dear mkiser,

Your post is very coherent. All of us in The Nest "hear" you very well. We understand because we have been at the "just starting out" point too.

For me, once I accepted the truth that alcohol was destroying me, the next thing I needed was a shred of hope. I need a little bit of hope
            that it was possible to be free from the clutches of alcohol.

There IS hope, mkiser, a lot of hope. You CAN stop drinking. Many, many of us in The Nest have stopped drinking. And we are happier and healthier and free.

Your husband does not need to stop drinking for you to quit. Many of us have partners who drink. You will learn to navigate that. Don't allow your husband's drinking to be a stumbling block. You can quit for YOURSELF. Honestly, you can.

Others in The Nest will be along to support you and share their stories. As Byrdie has said, there is great information in the Tool Box. You can get there by clicking on Byrdie's signature line.

Keep posting. We are happy that you are here!! :groupluv:

The man pulling radishes
            pointed the way
            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

FreeFly;1508654 wrote: Hello all. Not been around these parts for a while but looking to get back on the sober train so looking for a bit of support. Lots of changes, all of which happened whilst sober, no suprise there, but the old demons been creeping in. If you'll have me, love to join in.

Dear FreeFly,

Yes! We will definitely have you!! We want
              you to be here!! Please join in. What you have to say is important.

Welcome back to the "sober train." :colorwelcome:

The man pulling radishes
              pointed the way
              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Tess, well thanks for the kind and very pretty reply!

Want to get my head in gear in again. Sober was good, but the demons are rearing again. Hope to stick around this time x

Comment

Newbies Nest

FreeFly;1508654 wrote: Hello all. Not been around these parts for a while but looking to get back on the sober train so looking for a bit of support. Lots of changes, all of which happened whilst sober, no suprise there, but the old demons been creeping in. If you'll have me, love to join in.
                  mkiser;1508636 wrote:
                  Hi -I am just starting out. I've been wanting to stop drinking for a while and I have decided that last night was my last night.
                  Welcome to both of you!

That is the cool thing about The Nest -Everyone EXCEPT AL is invited to come on in, get comfortable, and find whatever help you need to get sober. It is great to have different perspectives and people at various stages for the first, fifth, or umpteenth time - someone here will have experienced something similar to what you are going through. We are crowd-sourcing this problem and many people truly are finding their way out!

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

FreeFly;1508663 wrote: Hi Tess, well thanks for the kind and very pretty reply!

Want to get my head in gear in again. Sober was good, but the demons are rearing again. Hope to stick around this time x
                    Hey FreeFly,

"Demons" run from a sincere heart. They do!!

Stay in touch. ~

The man pulling radishes
                    pointed the way
                    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess & NS, really appreciate the responses. Bed is calling so goodnight to you both. Will check in tomorrow. Ready to begin again. Thanks lots :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome back Free! I missed you!

Now super-glue your butt to the Nest...ya hear? :h:h
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome FreeFly!!! Here is the butt Velcro...take a piece and pass it to the right! (G man passed it the wrong direction the other night and didn't think I noticed!! You are busted!!) Ehehehe....everyone have a safe, sober night! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1508706 wrote: Welcome to both of you!

That is the cool thing about The Nest -Everyone EXCEPT AL is invited to come on in, get comfortable, and find whatever help you need to get sober. It is great to have different perspectives and people at various stages for the first, fifth, or umpteenth time - someone here will have experienced something similar to what you are going through. We are crowd-sourcing this problem and many people truly are finding their way out!

:h NS
                            Hey NoSugar,

I love it: "Everyone is invited to come on in, get comfortable, and find whatever help you need to get sober." So good to hear from you, as always!!

I think it's the simple things that keep life humming along. I've been chopping veggies for a stir-fry dinner, which is not usually considered to be a very exciting activity. But it can be!! All of the colors and aromas and, hmm..., just the simplicity of it.

Maybe there's too much stimulation or, I don't know, "excitement" in our culture. We're sort of out of touch with the delightful basics, yes? Well, at least I was.

Anyway, for me, alcohol did a couple of things: 1) got me all stirred up and then, 2) put me into a somewhat comatose state: I did not care about anything. Very sad.

Here's to good health, NS, and joy in the simple things. ~ :danthin:

The man pulling radishes
                            pointed the way
                            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Freefly & Mkiser
                              :welcome:

You have found a great place to help you get sober. There is soo much good advise, tips, and loving support. I've only been sober 19 days. It is one of the hardest things to do; however, it is also the most rewarding.

The demon AL is very cunning, but there are great people here to help us id him and send him on his way.

I try to remember you can not win a war with just one soldier, but with an army we can one battle at a time.

Hello to everyone else, I hope you have had a wonderful sober day. I am bracing for some serious storms to arrive early in the am. Going to bed early.

Attaching my butt Velcro and passing to the right not left lol:H

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.

We wake tomorrow to fight again, and togeather we WILL win.
                              JDG:h
                              Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening nesters,

Hello & welcome mkiser & welcome back FreeFly
                                Plenty of room in this ever growing nest so settle in for a while.
                                When I started, I read the book. got the hypno CDs & made a solemn vow to quit - that was 4+ years ago & I haven't had a moment's worth of regret. You both can do it too if that's what yuo really want

I can't believe it's only Tuesday evening....seems like I've been busy all week :H
                                Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X