Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters,

Strapping myself in! - Back after consciously choosing to drink after 7 months of sobriety. It was NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WORTH IT!

Lots of new people here I look forward to getting to know - many old friends too.

Back later when I have more time to post. DAY 4 AND FEELING STRONG!!

xo,
    UN:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Unwasted and:welcome:BACK!

Returning Newbies can be some of the most valuable members of the nest! The whole point of MWO is helping one another with this common problem and being willing to learn from the successes and mistakes of others. Like you were, I am thrilled with this sober life and want all the advice I can find about how to maintain it. I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

Congratulations on 4 beautiful AF days! :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Unwasted;1508934 wrote: Good Morning Nesters,

Strapping myself in! - Back after consciously choosing to drink after 7 months of sobriety. It was NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WORTH IT!

xo,
        UN:l
        Unwasted, nice to have you here. Like No Sugar, I am looking forward to reading your posts, having you post that deciding to drink was NOT even close to worth it, grounds me in my quest to remain AF.

Welcome hopeful mom, there are many of us here that share your thoughts, I always go back to K9's post whenever I may be wavering in the slightest, "I love my children more than alcohol". To me that sentiment is sooooo empowering in my quest to remain AF. As others have commented, stay close to the Newbie's Nest for support.
        On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,glad you are here,we all need a good place where we can let our feelings out,LM glad l found this site,l really hope all of you who are really struggling know it's not easy but anything worth while Isn't is it,so keep trying and love yourself enough to want to do it for yourself first,Lt is important you do it for you,and our health is a top priority,without it you don't have much any way ,so keep on tracking and it takes time to heal,especially when we've been drinking for a long time,and it being so socially acceptable,alcohol that is,anyway all the best and we'll all win if we want to bad enough,not saying it's easy but so worth it,and one day we won't even give it a passing thought,like quitting smoking,when l did that 25 yrs ago it was hard for 6 months than now l hate it,so LM holding l hate alcohol the same,that's how LM gonna think about alcohol,because l want to, remember it's only a thought and a thought can be changed,all have a great day okay off to work now!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

:wavin: Tess, No Sugar, K9, Byrd, JDG, Lav, Mr G, Steady, Hadit, Kuya, Hope, Unwasted, Halo & Bcp ? phew forgot how busy the nest gets, think I got everyone. Anyways, thanks for all the lovely welcome backs. Very happy to be here and feeling good because today I feel my head getting back in gear. Over the last two weeks I?ve been getting compulsive again and I hate that. Sneaky bugger crept up on me and it felt really odd having zero resolve in the evenings. Where did it go? I know where that path leads though so velcro firmly attached to backside. Sticking around for a while.
            FF:l
            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nest,

Lots of new/returning nesters! Welcome. I can't tell you how valuable the support here has become to me & hopefully will be to you as well. When I first started here, someone advised me to post often and keep in mind that cravings usually only last about 15 minutes, then pass. Keeping this in mind truly helped me through those first few days.

Hopeful mom, staying sober will be so wonderful for you and your family. As a mom of 2, I have noticed a huge difference since I stopped drinking. I wish you the best. As Byrdie has said, "rinse & repeat!"

Peaceful, Sober Wednesday to all!
              cocoflo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters! So good to see everyone! 2 cups of high octane coffee this morning and I am raring to go!

I am struck by a couple of thoughts this morning... there are some amazing TRUTHS to be found on this site....they are hard to swallow at first, but once you do you can see them.

* We all sought out this site because we have serious problems with AL. That's the easy statement. I will go on to say that I have yet to see someone come here that wasn't an ALK. Ouch. That even hurts me to say, but accepting that truth is important.

* One drink won't do any of us any good. That is THE BIG LIE. Don't do it. It leads you back down the rabbit hole and into the depths of Alco-hell. (thanks 199days)

* You will NOT get over being an ALK. It's a lifelong party and we got an invitation. No, you cannot moderate addiction.

* The folks who succeed here do a couple things: Adopt a Zero Tolerance Policy towards AL and they post often. They check in here every day. It is important to keep this forward in our minds, because society tells us the exact opposite.

* Accept responsibility for your disease. This wasn't caused by anyone else, it's the perfect storm of circumstances....it is what it is...now we must adjust our sails to deal with it. AND, no one else can cause you to fall. It is YOUR hand that picks up that glass.

*THE GOOD NEWS: Everything goes better in life when you are clear to let it happen. Decisions are made more easily because you have more information upon which to make them! The future looks brighter and is full of hope! YES you CAN live without AL the rest of your life, because you are proving that right now!

*Don't let fear keep you from being free. This is a biggie. When you prepare for situations, there is nothing to fear. You are NOT operating without a net, you are operating with a clear head and heart. For us, one drink sends us back to the world of guilt/shame/remorse. Don't let the Fear of failing stop you from trying.

* Use this site like a lab experiment. I would dare to say, that any circumstance you would dream up has been dealt with over the course of the seven years this site has been around. Dive in and find out how your situation turned out. Like anything else in life, you get out of this site what you put in....the more you dig in, the more value you find.

Go out and make it a great day, nesters!! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1508976 wrote: Morning, Nesters! So good to see everyone! 2 cups of high octane coffee this morning and I am raring to go!

I am struck by a couple of thoughts this morning... there are some amazing TRUTHS to be found on this site....they are hard to swallow at first, but once you do you can see them.

* We all sought out this site because we have serious problems with AL. That's the easy statement. I will go on to say that I have yet to see someone come here that wasn't an ALK. Ouch. That even hurts me to say, but accepting that truth is important.

* One drink won't do any of us any good. That is THE BIG LIE. Don't do it. It leads you back down the rabbit hole and into the depths of Alco-hell. (thanks 199days)

* You will NOT get over being an ALK. It's a lifelong party and we got an invitation. No, you cannot moderate addiction.

* The folks who succeed here do a couple things: Adopt a Zero Tolerance Policy towards AL and they post often. They check in here every day. It is important to keep this forward in our minds, because society tells us the exact opposite.

* Accept responsibility for your disease. This wasn't caused by anyone else, it's the perfect storm of circumstances....it is what it is...now we must adjust our sails to deal with it. AND, no one else can cause you to fall. It is YOUR hand that picks up that glass.

*THE GOOD NEWS: Everything goes better in life when you are clear to let it happen. Decisions are made more easily because you have more information upon which to make them! The future looks brighter and is full of hope! YES you CAN live without AL the rest of your life, because you are proving that right now!

*Don't let fear keep you from being free. This is a biggie. When you prepare for situations, there is nothing to fear. You are NOT operating without a net, you are operating with a clear head and heart. For us, one drink sends us back to the world of guilt/shame/remorse. Don't let the Fear of failing stop you from trying.

* Use this site like a lab experiment. I would dare to say, that any circumstance you would dream up has been dealt with over the course of the seven years this site has been around. Dive in and find out how your situation turned out. Like anything else in life, you get out of this site what you put in....the more you dig in, the more value you find.

That is pretty much MWO in a nutshell, Byrdie . It would be a great addition to the Toolbox, where we can find it 'fairly' easily. :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." -- Henry David Thoreau

Hello Nesters,

When I read Thoreau's quote I thought about the weeks leading up to my decision to stop drinking alcohol. At that time, I could not imagine life without alcohol. Would life still be fun? Would I still be funny? (Well, I've never been very funny.) What would I do with the hours in a day, every day?

As kuya said so well in a previous post, we drink alcohol in response to every conceivable occasion, be it celebration or tragedy. We drink. And we feel fearful that a life without alcohol will not be a life worth living.

But I have discovered, as have so many others, that the very opposite is true. Once we are past the first few miserable days or weeks of withdrawal we begin to live again. People post that they feel alive, productive, free: good for something.

Take heart. You are powerful. You can make choices. Freedom from the compulsion to drink alcohol is one of the best feelings that I've ever experienced. It is totally worth it!!

Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                    pointed the way
                    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

WOW, I'm late today..but good mid morning No work today, so I'm doing laundry and I just may take a nap, it's cloudy, but humid and warm here and I'm staying inside in the air conditioning. Trying to figure out what to have for dinner and pretty sure it will not be marinated in alcohol...LOL. I have the kids tonight,maybe stuffed peppers.

Not sure if anyone of you can answer this one, but is anyone taking the ALLONE powder that they sell here and if so has it caused you the "poops"? Man that stuff is running through me, but everytime I take it, I feel happy that I am doing something good for my body.

Have a great day...I will check in periodically, though I don't always post....I have to get over this being a private person. Love this place:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1508976 wrote: Morning, Nesters! So good to see everyone! 2 cups of high octane coffee this morning and I am raring to go!

Wow, Byrdie!! I just read your amazing post. (I should read before I start posting in the mornings. Lesson learned.) Anyway, what more can I possibly say? It's all here. Thank you!!

"Rinse and Repeat," comes to mind. But I can't say that either because you've already said it!! :woot:

The man pulling radishes
                        pointed the way
                        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

During a sleepless night full of sadness, angst, shame, panic, i made the decision to run back to the nest. i haven't been here for a long time. I had a great 2 months af where i felt on top of the world. I felt like nothing could cause me to drink again. I wasn't actively working anymore by checking in here, reading, making plans, etc. I thought after a short 60 days that i had it beat. But i didn't and then i couldn't get it under control again. I didn't trust myself to come back because i knew i didn't have it in me to start to do the work again.
                          Now i still don't trust myself to do what i say, but i want to try one day at a time again.
                          I've been reading here all day and was so happy to see Unwasted and Freefly back and to read such powerful optimistic, hopeful words from all of you. And what you just wrote, Byrdie, was exactly what i needed to hear.
                          So my plan is to check in each and every day and to spend at least 30 minutes reading and posting.
                          It usually ends up being much longer.
                          Thank you all for being here!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow Byrdie! You are a hard act to follow! :H You pretty much said it ALL, and then some! You are so wise, and I for one am thankful that you stick around with us! :l:h

UN - I'm so glad you are back! You've accepted responsibility for what happened and now you are ready to pick up the pieces and start over. I found that once I got 100% honest with myself, it was SO MUCH easier to deal with everything. Now there is no story that I'm too ashamed to tell...so much so that some people may get tired of reading them. LOL Anyway, so glad to have you back!!

Freefly and Lifechange...so good to see both of you too! I hit the 40 day mark about 4 times and slipped each time. I remember coming here and the wonderful folks in the Nest talking me out of my last "40 day flop". I was gently reminded of my shameful behavior and also the time I fell in the shower and had one huge bruise on my entire left side of my body. The shock of having my own stories told back to me was enough for me to think "They're right...what the hell am I thinking?" So long story short (too late), CHECK IN WITH US if you ever feel the pull. Someone will say something that will click with you...I promise.

Happy Wednesday everyone! And a special shout out to STELLA!
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nesters,

I've been kind of busy this morning but wanted to chime back in to mention a couple of things.

First, I'm really thankful for the Nest! It's such a comforting place to be with great advice and experiences coming from people at different places in this crazy addiction journey. It's truly invaluable to have others posting about what they're experiencing, their ups and downs, and giving advice. It's so powerful!

One thing I'm learning about is why our brains are so conflicted. I posted about this on one of the new "welcome" threads a day or so ago. It helps me to know that I've actually changed my brain with drinking but can change it again by replacing alcohol with other simpler pleasures that don't harm my body -- healthy food, reading, being in nature, etc.

Also, I'm reading a book about "Anhedonia" which is a type of flatlining (apathy) that occurs when we've overstimulated our brains with things like alcohol - thrill seeking, etc. Our brains are looking for the next high only to be let down when we can't keep recreating it. Tess, along the lines of what you posted - we have to learn to find pleasure and moments of happiness in the little things, the simple pleasures if we're to overcome things like addiction and find meaning and peace in our lives.

I'm learning that I can't look for happiness - "out there" -- that it has to come from within and that it can't hinge on drinking. I think alcohol has tricked me into thinking it's the only thing that makes me happy. I know this isn't true but that's sort of the feeling I had when I started again after the 7 months. I feel more peaceful and accepting about what's really true and real this time.

LifeChange - I get what you're trying to say. Just hang with us. We're all trying to figure out a way - being here for each other will give us strength.

Sodagirl - I took that All In One a long time ago but don't remember much about it. Sorry. I think I quite using it just because I kind of forgot about it. Many say it has helped them though.

Halo, Kuya, No Sugar, Coco, Hopeful Mom, JDG, bcp, MKiser, Stead, Mr. G., Byrdie & K9, Lav (our rocks) and anyone else I missed (sorry I can't go back far enough to see who all has posted as of late).......

FF so glad you're back.

Hope everyone has a wonderful AF day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

STEADFAST;1508904 wrote: Hi Nesters,

You might think i'm weird but i've changed my user name again! I was 'Brandivino', but as the AF days ticked by i became annoyed as the name was a constant reminder of where my 'romance' with alcohol began. So i changed my user name to Mineralwater......But still it didn't feel right. I feel a bit silly about re-changing my user name, but on reflection i've realised it's because this is so damned important to me - i'm a new person and hellbent (after many attempts in the past) to stay 'on the wagon.' 'STEADFAST' works for me.

Have just finished reading a book called 'High Sobriety' by Jill Stark. It could not have come at a better time. The author works for a newspaper in Melbourne, Australia. She was the health reporter for the paper, while being heavily into alcohol. In the book she charts the year she spent sober, and also provides lots of info and stats about alc abuse. Although i was disappointed that she didn't remain AF after the year was up, it appeared she was on track to take the moderate path. It's been a really good read and has confirmed for me that i do have a problem, and should remain AF.

Well that's long enough a post! It's Day 24 for me today!

best wishes to all,
                                Steady
                                Dear Steadfast,

I admire your quest to find a user name that best describes your true self. As you say, our name is very important to us. It reflects what we want to convey about ourselves and, perhaps, what we aspire to.

When I decided to snuggle into Newbies Nest I did not know what name to use. I'm not terribly creative. I kind of wanted to use my "baptismal" name: Tess. But others named Tess had gone before me. So I thought, "I am Tess, too." Thus, Tess-2. As I say, no creativity required...

Well done on 24 AF Days!! That is no small accomplishment. I am proud of you!! :armsaround:

Stay close to The Nest. There is love and support here for All. ~

The man pulling radishes
                                pointed the way
                                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Working...
                                X