Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Mornin Ya'll,

Wanted to pop in. Whew the nest has been busy overnight. Lots of things going on.

Love the fact that so many people are getting, and staying sober, means I am not ever alone.

Freefly, Lifechange great job on 2 days. Keep it up.
    Jenni - sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Are there meds to help with the pain? Prayers for you.
    Hadit - good job on resisting. I will be around this weekend so talk when you need to. I will be here often.
    Little Beagle - it is tough when one partner stops and the other continues. Way to go buying shoes. You deserve a reward. Maybe your partner will see how better life is without all the smoke, and drink through you and stop. If not you stay strong for you.

Lav, Gman, Halo good to see you guys.

Have a great Thursday, the weekend is on the horizon.
    JDG
    Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good luck - Cocoflo, good to see you, steady, NS, and anyone else I might have missed.
      Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
        Hadit, I'm around on the weekends! Not much posting going on, but I keep an eye out...it would just be weird if I kept posting....I already know what I'm up to. So if you check in, someone will be around!

Jenni, I have Inflammatory arthritis due to autoimmune stuff (i.e. Ulcerative Colitis/Crohns) I thought the world was ending when I was first diagnosed with it...but somehow, it kept on spinning....and then when arthritis and other lovely things set in, I was really bummed, but even all that didn't stop me. You gotta approach other diseases just like you have approached this one. One day at a time!!

Little B, great job on focusing on yourself right now. You can't help anyone else if you are not well....like they say on the plane, secure your oxygen mask first before assisting others. I have found that being the example goes a long way in changing the behavior in others. Walk the walk....and you will be miles ahead! It's like nagging someone about their nagging! :H:H:H

Stay the course nesters! At the end of this day, let's look back and say that it was another win for the good guys! Happy Thursday! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just wanted to say Congrats to Siren for 30 days yesterday!!!! So awesome Siren, great work, love your positive and honest posts.
          On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

A quick check in for me today. Congratulations to Siren!:goodjob::wave:

Feeling great and resolute about NEVER wanting to go back the the absolute torturous hell of alcohol!

:l UN

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Just a quick check-in with my fellow fledglings. I admire how well all of you are doing!! It's so fabulous to see the support that is given and received in The Nest. I'm approaching five months of sobriety (143 days), and I cherish every AF moment. For those of you in your first 30 AF days, hold on to the thought that in the not-too-distant future -- sobriety is going to be your new normal. It's true!! You will begin to feel that your drinking days were a very long time ago. At least that's what I'm experiencing.

One day at a time, one moment at a time, we are creating new lives for ourselves. :happy:
              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
              pointed the way
              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1509286 wrote: But, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis....I still can't quite believe it and I am feeling a bit numb.....
                Anyway, it is not a fatal disease so that is the good news.
                Hi, Jennie

I'm so sorry you have been feeling poorly (I'm assuming that since you were concerned enough to go to the Dr. and get a Dx). I have a couple of inflammatory autoimmune conditions myself. Did your Dr. suggest an anti-inflammatory diet as an adjunct to whatever other treatment options you were offered? I've found it very helpful (and my knuckles are even normal sized these days !).

All the best to you, :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Intro - 7 days AF

Hi everyone - I originally posted this in General Discussion but NoSugar suggested I put it here. Apparently word is there might be a prize?!?! :-)
                  -------------------
                  A week ago I made the decision to quit drinking. I had my last drink a week ago last Wednesday evening. I've been doing this alone and stumbled on the forum a couple of days ago. It's been a big help for me, so I thought I'd join up.

I'm a 38 year old fella from Vancouver, Canada. I have been questioning for some time if I'm an alcoholic or just have a drinking problem, but just last night I learned from reading here that doesn't matter. What does matter is that I know I have a problem and am starting to deal with it by quitting alcohol.

My unhealthy relationship with alcohol is relatively new, maybe 3 years old. It's fairly classic: social drinking slowly progressed to 200ml of vodka or 1/2 - 3/4 750ml bottle red wine every day after work with maybe a weekly binge of much more.

It's all been there: hiding the vodka bottle at home, pretending to enjoy a glass of wine at dinner but slipping into the kitchen to take a big gulp of vodka, obvious lies about being drunk, the strong cravings that hit every afternoon at work, altering my route home from work to walk by different liquor stores so the clerks don't notice my habit and that feeling of powerlessness at not being able to pass by the liquor store without stopping even if I didn't want to stop. I got so tired of either drinking or being hung over all the time, but I think the final tipping point came down to vanity. I started to notice little red veins on the bridge of my nose, did some Google searching and got really concerned about where I was headed.

I didn't know anything about alcohol withdrawals, so it's been a week of surprises: the constant light sweat on the night of day 2, insomnia, fatigue and flu-like feelings, very vivid dreams and one scary episode where the room started to spin and I felt dizzy and "off". Thankfully most of those things have subsided and last night was the first night I slept fairly well and the dreams weren't as vivid. The forum really helped reassure me that this is all normal.

My quitting is coinciding with a 2 week vacation in Quebec to visit my spouse's family. It's been interesting. I am out of my normal routine, so I haven't experienced any cravings except one strong episode that lasted perhaps 30 seconds while at a local grocery store, of all odd places. Wine is ever present in Quebec culture, so I've been really proud that I've been around alcohol all this week and have been able to say no. I've been the designated driver on two occasions this past week.....imagine that!!!

Each day that goes by without a drink makes me feel more confident that I can keep doing this, one day at a time. I'm not without my concerns about going back to Vancouver in another week. I'll go back to work and get into my normal routine - the afternoon will come around when the cravings usually start and there will still be several liquor stores within a 5 to 10 minute walk from our house. I'm riding a high right now, but I suspect at some point - perhaps sooner than later - I'll really need your help and support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cocoflo;1509447 wrote: Good Morning, just checking in to wish everybody well. Interview today, so I'm crossing my fingers as it would be the ideal situation.

Peaceful, sober day to all.
                    I have an interview today too!!! Let's do this! Check in later and let us know how it went! :h
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Psy, welcome:welcome: You're right about there being a honeymoon period, so it's good that you're aware of it. That will help you stay vigilant. For me the hard part came WAY down the road - the long term commitment. I faltered but am back with renewed commitment. So, hope you're smarter than I was and don't have to learn the hard way. Many of us think we can give moderation a try only to find we escalate to previous drinking levels or worse. Read and post often - it really helps.

Jenni - sorry about your current diagnosis. Will you have to take medication for it or is it just something you have to put up with? I'll read back to see your post, but really hoping it's not too awful for you.

K9, I didn't know you were changing jobs. Sending you positive vibes!! Hope you get it if it's something you really want!! Let us know, please. You too CoCo!!!

Good morning and have a great AF day to all those here in the Nest.:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1509286 wrote: I feel so far behind everyone! I have not had a good chance to come into the nest and see the goings on....but I just read through from last night. So glad to have people come back and come in as new....I am so sorry for the loss of vachkirl....

I feel a bit self absorbed these past couple of days which is not like me. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and helping out when I can. But, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis....I still can't quite believe it and I am feeling a bit numb.....

Anyway, it is not a fatal disease so that is the good news.
                        Please know that I am thinking of you guys and am reading, but just don't have it in me to do my regular posting.....I hope this feeling goes away soon!
                        Dear Jennie,

Thank you for letting us know what is going on with your health. We all care very much about you and have missed hearing from you on a regular basis. I feel so sad about your diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. I'm really terribly sorry.

I developed heart disease at a relatively young age (twentysomething). This was the result of the following domino effect: 1) started drinking beer like a crazy woman, 2) doubled my weight in about 18 months, 3) developed severe high blood pressure, 4) was too stupid to take my medications and stop drinking, 5) my heart "blew up," so to speak.

Anyway, I am comparing apples to oranges. You did not bring the arthritis on yourself.

Please know that our love and care is being sent to you. ~

The man pulling radishes
                        pointed the way
                        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

psytrancer;1509577 wrote: ... I'm riding a high right now, but I suspect at some point - perhaps sooner than later - I'll really need your help and support.
                          Dear psy,

You are doing great!! Welcome to Newbies Nest!! Yes, prizes are bestowed on a regular basis around here. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, you have earned your 7 AF Day prize - A fab moon: :moon: Congratulations!! Well Done!!

We are here whenever you need help and support.

And each time you post you give help and support to All of us, whether you know it or not. Thanks!!

The man pulling radishes
                          pointed the way
                          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Psy!

I responded in your other thread, but I am happy to see you in the Nest! Now pull up a twig and let us take you under our wings...we're a helpful bunch and we don't bite too often, so feel free to share anything that's on your mind!

Welcome!!
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kick ass at your interview K9

Hi Psy & welcome to the nest.
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,
                                Been out of email/internet contact during holiday but just noticed Siren's big accomplishment and wanting to send my big congratulations -- another of the 311 gang makes the 30 day mark. You go, girl! Happy to report another AF day for me.
                                Free at Last
                                "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                                http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Working...
                                X