Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

I put the finishing touch on our back yard today by planting a very tender "baby" tree, a Nyssa sylvatica -- better know as "Wildfire." Oh, it's only about 3' high and already so beautiful. I will tend to it with the care of a mommy. alm:

I am so happy and grateful to be sober today and every day.

Fellow fledglings, I am proud of every single one of you. Each of you inspire me to keep fighting the good fight. I can't say it enough: sobriety is totally worth it!! Hmm... would I rather be near death in a hospital bed due to complications from alcoholism or planting a living, oxygen-giving gem in my yard?? Really, the choice should not have been so difficult. But it was!! That's the power of addiction.

So we stay strong together. Hugs to All. Welcome new comers or those considering stopping in for a while. Pull up a twig and get comfy. Passing butt Velcro in every possible direction. laster:laster: Let's keep our hind-ends in The Nest and out of harms way. Sweet dreams, All. :chick:
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,hope you all had a great al free sat,was great to have another weekend with no alcohol and okay,LM doing this and LM liking the results 57 days today and l am getting my body back,down 20 llbs getting back on track,feels amazing,LM totally okay without the wine,who would of thought possible,but anything is possible,we just have to believe,we can do it,l like myself without the monkey on my back,my husband keeps saying,l hear you laugh so much more,l like that,Lt feels good to be in the now,LM sure all of us like that,Lt sure has been a long time since l really lived,feels good,l like life ,l think l'll keep my head clear always,l don't want no crap going in my body giving me hot flashes and heartburn,so happy to be free of that dreaded heartburn,l kept blaming everything but the wine,but l knew it was that,glad LM free of that pain,liking me again,have a great night hope you all feel the same about yourselves,your worth it,we all are,have a great Sunday!!! With no hangover!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying your weekends! The weather has been beautiful here, even though I've spent a lot of time in bed sick, just the time I've had outside has made me feel happy and energised!!
        Looking forward to celebrating my first week tomorrow with a big cup of her al tea ��

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters , Hope you all got through the weekend af. This is my 3rd one in a row and I have to say it has been the easiest so far even though I have been to a few places where al was freely available. Its been a very busy place with lots of success stories. For those struggling, keep close to MWO read and read as much as you can. Eventually it will click!.Looking fwd to next week when I will be 3 weeks af. Thanks for all your support over the w/e. I do read all your posts and appreciate them so much! I now know that it does get easier as each day passes. Catch up tomorrow.

Day 18 Done and dusted

Comment

Newbies Nest

:hug:
            Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful words....It is amazing how much support from others can help in a difficult time..........So last night was probably the worst night I have had in terms of white knuckling it. I made it through the dinner (sister, nephews, mom and my family had a dinner party). Wine bottles on the table....the horror!!

Two things got me through.....the thought of the nest and my absolutely awesome husband. When he saw they put bottles of wine on the table, he took me aside and asked me if I wanted him to remove the bottles from the table. This is a person who doesn't get this disease aside from what I tell him. Just the fact that he said that strengthened my resolve. I also kept thinking about what would happen if I did drink and had to come back to the nest and fess up about it.

When dinner was finally over and everyone went off to do their thing, I made myself a cup of camomile tea, got into bed and reflected on the evening. Then I got really really MAD at AL. How dare AL try to trick me into drinking!!! So, today I am really angry at AL. Fuck you alcohol!!!!!! You killed my father and now Nick. Fuck you.

Wow, that made me feel better
            Sorry for the language, but sometimes, the f word is really the very most fitting word. I rarely use it, but when I do, it makes me feel better....(another irony besides wanting to drink because my close friend died from drink - it is such an ugly word but yet when i use it i feel better)
            I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Best weekend in a long time!

Greetings, fellow Nesters!

It's taken me an hour to get on here tonight. Password problems which i suspect are due to changing my Username from 'Brandivino' to 'MineralWater' to Steadfast! Maybe a metaphor; it's not always an easy road, but the persistence to get where you want to is well worth it!

As indicated in the title, i've had a really great weekend. Day 28 AF today (it's Sunday evening where i am.) Caught up with some old friends last night for dinner. 'Al' was winking at me from the table, but i wasn't deceived!

It's so good to read all the positive posts on here from all you Nesters. MWO really rocks!

At this very time 28 days ago, i was on the way to oblivion with Al. Honestly there have been times when things have been testing, but i love ticking off the days in my diary, and most importantly experiencing all the benefits of being AF.

I used to keep vodka at the back of my side of the bathroom cabinet, so i could tell my husband i was 'just going to have a bubble bath' and then knock back as much Al as i could. Hiding bottles and acting sober were the norm. Now i'm getting out and about and able to view my 'issues' with clarity and a more positive outlook. Life isn't always easy, but life with Al is a nightmare.

Looking forward to my foot being better (i sprained it about six weeks ago; don't remember how i did it.) It's taking a while to get better, and is a constant reminder of how much control i lose with Al. Once it's better i can start exercising, woo hoo!

Sorry for such a long post! Hopefully no further password issues and i can check in daily.

take care everyone, stay strong,
              Steady
              AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Jenni again. You have every right to get angry!!! AL took one of my best mates and destroyed his kids. I intend to fight him till the day I die. Jenni, Keep strong;you have shown al that he cannot win under the most difficult of circumstances. How is your family coping especially your mum? We are here for you,just yell and swear if you want!!!:l:l Catch up tomorrow.:h:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Steadfast, 28 days WOW!! that is a real achievement. Hope your foot recovers soon. I am about to hit the sack ,its 9.30pm in Australia and I have an early start tomorrow. I have had a great al free weekend.Spent loads of time on MWO reading as many posts as I could. Day 19 tomorrow. This weekend is my 3rd af one in a row. Never thought in my wildest dreams I could get this far. Catch up tomorrow.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jenni, so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Little Beagle, good work staying AF! Those events that involved lots of drinking in the past have been hard for me too. I'm still blaming sinus medication as I really haven't made a big deal about not drinking & few really knew how big of a problem it had become.

Kuya, love this "Accepting sobriety, not as a death sentence for drinking, but a life sentence of peace is a subtle but vital attitude." Great perspective. Drinking brought nothing but problems & drama into my life. The relative peacefulness since stopping is a welcome change.

Best,
                    Cocoflo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Sunday morning Nesters

I hope everyone had a restful night & is ready to tackle whatever comes today!

Jenni, great to hear you left those bottles alone. It will get easier & easier as time goes on especially when you fully accept that it is never OK for us to take that first drink.

All this talk of nature walks & camping brings back a lot of memories. I miss all that but it was a lot of fun
                      Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1510852 wrote: :hug:
                        Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful words....It is amazing how much support from others can help in a difficult time..........So last night was probably the worst night I have had in terms of white knuckling it. I made it through the dinner (sister, nephews, mom and my family had a dinner party). Wine bottles on the table....the horror!!

Two things got me through.....the thought of the nest and my absolutely awesome husband. When he saw they put bottles of wine on the table, he took me aside and asked me if I wanted him to remove the bottles from the table. This is a person who doesn't get this disease aside from what I tell him. Just the fact that he said that strengthened my resolve. I also kept thinking about what would happen if I did drink and had to come back to the nest and fess up about it.

When dinner was finally over and everyone went off to do their thing, I made myself a cup of camomile tea, got into bed and reflected on the evening. Then I got really really MAD at AL. How dare AL try to trick me into drinking!!! So, today I am really angry at AL. Fuck you alcohol!!!!!! You killed my father and now Nick. Fuck you.

Wow, that made me feel better
                        Sorry for the language, but sometimes, the f word is really the very most fitting word. I rarely use it, but when I do, it makes me feel better....(another irony besides wanting to drink because my close friend died from drink - it is such an ugly word but yet when i use it i feel better)

Dear Jennie,

I sit crying as I read your post (and it's only 6:00 on Sunday morning here). I ask myself why I'm crying. I think it's several things. 1) I am so happy for you that you chose to white knuckle it last night and avoid the wine. It would have been so easy to justify "just one glass," which would have actually been at least the entire bottle (we alcoholics know that "just one drink" is impossible). You are amazing!! 2) The loss of your father and your friend to alcohol is a terrible tragedy. It hits close to home. I've not lost a loved one to alcohol, but I nearly lost myself. So it's a sensitive topic. Also, I see what I would have put my family through if I had died. 3) I feel frustrated that people in general do not understand or accept how dangerous alcohol is. I want to climb up on the roof and scream, "Alcohol Kills!!"
                        It is NOT a benign substance in a beer can, wine bottle, or shot glass. I guess I feel like using the f word too, which is something I almost never do (just like you). I don't know how many more people are going to need to die before we "get" it.

Okay... I'm finished crying. And I decided not to climb up on the roof and start screaming. A visit from the local police is probably not the best way to start a Sunday morning... Also, my dogs are standing here, tails wagging, asking for breakfast.

Stay strong, girl. You inspire me. Thanks!! :greatjob2:
                        Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                        pointed the way
                        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jennie, truly sorry for loss.
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sunday Morning fellow fledglings,

Very enjoyable night in the nest, butt Velcro, and nest belt still firmly attached.

Thoughts and prayers to all who are struggling, way to go to those who have been tempted and resisted. I know we all feel better knowing when we wake up, I did it!

May peace, joy, and happiness find all my friends at MWO today.

Check in after church,
                            JDG
                            Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, there are so many great posts here I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to refer to them all.

Jenni, my dad was a raging alcoholic and died at age 50, so I feel your pain. My brother died in his early 50s from a combination of drugs/cigs/alcohol. It just baffles me that something that causes so much destruction is just an everyday occurrence in our society. Maybe someday alcohol will be ostracized like cigarettes are today. It's truly insane. It seems as if unless we see the very direct effect of something, i.e. someone takes a drink and keels over dead, we just don't get it. Oh well, all we can do is save ourselves and be a model for others. Addiction is so powerful. I'm reading a book right now on willpower that talks a lot about how rats will choose the drug over food until they die. Yet it's legal. Yet people drink it thinking it's ok. I sure did for the longest time. Craziness. I also just read a book about a doctor that takes brain scans of his patients to show them the alcohol damage. He's been very successful in helping people stop because they can actually SEE the effects of what's happening IN THEIR OWN brains. Anyway, really proud of you for not drinking (and of your husband for supporting you - that's HUGE).

Everyone sounds so good here. I'm always amazed by the wisdom in the nest. Those of you talking about going camping without drinking when it was something you strongly associated with booze - I can really relate to that. I had dinner at my biggest drinking haunt yesterday but wasn't tempted. THAT feels SO POWERFUL. I've just gotta make it stick and never compromise my success again!

Kuya, such an honest post. I also love the quote that Coco posted about - that really is at the crux of what will make us successful in our battle with alcohol - the acceptance that we're losing nothing and gaining everything. TO INTERNALIZE AND REALLY FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT IS NOW MY LIFELONG GOAL AND COMMITMENT!

Hope everyone has a super AF day.

xx,
                              UN:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternoon, Nesters!
                                Just getting back online after the router went off the rails!
                                Everyone is doing so well! Stay the course...we are midway thru the holiday and holding steady! Some really great posts here over the weekend. I'm so happy for us all for beating this thing one day at a time! Off to catch up! Bydie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X