Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Day 4 and I needed a kick in the butt.
    I love my life and I want to explore it more.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fabulous job Derek. Did you have your steak dinner? See you tomorrow on Day 5!

Comment

Newbies Nest

So many new names with so much strength in the early days!! I love that!!

Flyaway quoted Cinders:
        Life goes on no matter how irritating it is, whether we are sober or drinking. The difference is, if we continue drinking, we cannot deal with life.

That is so very true!! But here is the catch......life can be irritating but if we remain sober, we can CHOOSE to not let it bother us. We can CHOOSE to be happy.
        When we drink, we give up the ability to choose. Shit just happens and we don't feel anything!! That is no way to live.
        I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

You know at some point I wish at some point the goddamn cravings would lessen or go away.

Even after 78 days, I wanted to throw in the towel and have a drink tonight, cravings are heightened and I just want to be able to have a couple of glasses of wine, Please just a couple of glasses of wine, where is the harm??????, it's just two glasses, seriously it's only two

But I can't. because I know, even though I try to convince myself that I won't, I just know that I will drink way more than two glasses, wayyyyyyy more , and then I may drink so much that I'll black out and be so hungover in the morning I can't get out of bed and then my kids will suffer.

When oh when do the cravings end????? I am seriously questioning if I can actually do this.....but I know I have no other choice, my family and I deserve a better life, a AF life

(feeling better after writing this)
          On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Halo all of that talk about it just being one or two drinks is pure bullshit, as I'm sure you are aware. It is your brain circuitry screaming at you saying, "Hey, something is different! We like what we're used to! Change it back!" You have come a long way into this fight. Don't stop now.

Can you set your heart free and accept never drinking again? Can you be glad to give up the battle and live your life "normal", unpolluted, and fully functioning? There is nothing normal about consuming a poison that alters your sense of reality and causes division between you and the ones you love.

Some people take a while to get there. Some do it through trial and error. But once you can embrace the decision, things start falling into place.

Comment

Newbies Nest

FlyAway;1512564 wrote: There is nothing normal about consuming a poison that alters your sense of reality and causes division between you and the ones you love.
              Thanks FlyAway for your quick feedback, I was lingering online waiting to have some supportive, straight newbie nest talk I so desperately need and thanks for the above, that is exactly what AL had done to my life before I ditched the demon. I just wish the cravings would just go away..FOREVER :l
              On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Halo I to have had a few similar thoughts lately. I am having trouble filling in nthe vacuum my best friend of 40 yrs has left me. I stopped 22 days ago. Every now and then WHAMO, i need a drink. BUT we both know where that will lead us;into that very black hole. Depression,anxiety,guilt,loss of memory!!! No, don't take that first drink! iT will undo all your good work. I do have af beer sometimes and that works for me,BUT ITS NOT for everyone! Some say they arn't even prepared to try it as it may lead them to the REAL thing,but for me that hasn't been a problem. Keep strong Halo!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

FlyAway;1512509 wrote: You are in a way playing chess against yourself. Your alcoholic brain will try every trick it can to get you to drink again. Your challenge is to outsmart it.
                  Very much like this analogy FlyAway, thank you - popping it in the armoury.

Hi to all newbie nesters and of course the oldies
                  You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters! How are we all doing today? I for one wish that Mother Nature would make up her mind about summer.

Flyaway, you are on a tear with advice lately! Keep it up - good to have you in the nest!

Halo and Hadit - if it didn't eventually get easier then we wouldn't see so much long time success around here. For me, I need to just trust Byrdie, Lav, and Kuya (and others) when they say that it does get better.
                    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I hop everyone has a great af day. I think al makes us easy targets. Those less scrupulous use our drinking and take advantage of it. They know we don't make decisions, al makes them for us. I am tired of that and I want to make my own decisions now.
                      Had a very bad incident in our family this weekend. My hubby still is drinking and got caught up in stupidity.
                      I can honestly say that I have seem the al issues from both sides. I am going to fight. I refuse to be a victim any longer.
                      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren, Thanks for that post!! Thats just what I needed to here to get on with it! I am 22 Days AF today. Its funny, we read thousands of posts and every now and then ONE really hits home!!! I guess thats what MWO is about; helping each other . I have posted lots, but only now feel I can offer some real advice on how I have managed to stop drinking and what has worked for me. So, thanks again. I am looking fwd to the w/e;it will be my 4th in a row af!!!:thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Little Beagle, I can tell you are one little fighter dealing with some strong odds!!! You do this for YOU, no one else,just you, because you deserve it! Will you be around this weekend as I plan to do my 4th af weekend in a row and would love a buddy to join me? I AM 22 days af now and looking fwd to notching up 30!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Up way too early today, oh well. One of my dogs thinks she's a chicken I guess :H

When you stop & think for a minute - the urges & cravings to drink become weaker in time & turn into thoughts, just thoughts. When those thoughts appear you learn to consciously kick them out. Really & truly accepting that you no longer drink helps a lot! Just like with smoking, when that thought pops up, you immediately think NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) & move on to something else. Distraction is the big key here

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Thursday!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Halo:
                              I am on day 120 or something like that and I STILL have cravings each and every day. My AL self WANTS me to drink....but I don't because I think it through. As you know, 2 glasses for us just leads to many many more. And we know what happens after that.

I just take it a day at a time. I keep it simple. Nothing more. I don't tell myself I will never drink again. That is too hard. I just say, I will not drink today....and before you know it, days, weeks and then months go by.

I feel like I drank the kool aid, but nothing is happening so I am just waiting for things to get better (in terms of cravings) because everyone who has more time than me says it does get better. I trust them much more than I trust my AL self!!!
                              I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1512732 wrote: Halo:
                                I am on day 120 or something like that and I STILL have cravings each and every day. My AL self WANTS me to drink....but I don't because I think it through. As you know, 2 glasses for us just leads to many many more. And we know what happens after that.

I just take it a day at a time. I keep it simple. Nothing more. I don't tell myself I will never drink again. That is too hard. I just say, I will not drink today....and before you know it, days, weeks and then months go by.

I feel like I drank the kool aid, but nothing is happening so I am just waiting for things to get better (in terms of cravings) because everyone who has more time than me says it does get better. I trust them much more than I trust my AL self!!!
                                Great post, Jennie! The magic is in living each individual day AF and then opening your eyes one day and realizing that you have an inconceivable XX number of AF days behind you. Each time you deny a craving your resolve and ability to deny the next one gets stronger. Keep on keeping on!
                                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X