Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

that made me laugh Tess....I haven't raised a teenager, but I've been one. But it's a really good point. I keep trying to remember (way back then!) what it was like when I was a teenager....helps me to not judge him so harshly. He talks to me - he probably tells me more than most teens - but those times when he shuts down - oh, like a dagger through my heart...

(actually unwasted - it'll be 2 in Sept!) And yep - I hate when you try to help someone and then they are gone - but I try to remember the craziness that went on in my own brain (and still does sometimes!) regarding drinking....that one minute you are totally committed and the next, you are convinced that you are no worse than anyone else. The scales have to tip so far, I think - that you can't kid yourself anymore....that you want it 100%. Not 99.9%....cause that .1% will win....
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lola!!! I missed you...glad to see you! :h

Ah yes the teenage angst. Mine is almost 16 and so far so good, but I know that could change any SECOND! I keep her talking and I back away when I need to. The worst thing to do (I think) is to just keep pushing and pushing. My sister does this, and you can literally see her kids (all teens) fold in on themselves. Give space but be available and everything will be fine...and you might just survive! LOL
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Tess. The fat thing kind of stuck from when I was a bit bigger than now. Could still do with shedding a stone though and am hoping that will be a welcome side effect of this new adventure. Day 4 and going strong. Hope you are doing Ok too.
        I can beat this.
        Today is the day I start.
        1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fat fella;1512871 wrote: Thanks Tess. The fat thing kind of stuck from when I was a bit bigger than now. Could still do with shedding a stone though and am hoping that will be a welcome side effect of this new adventure. Day 4 and going strong. Hope you are doing Ok too.
          Hi Fella,

Awesome work with getting through Day 3 and now on Day 4!! :woot:

I am doing great. Thanks for your well wishes. Much appreciated!!

Just give a shout if you need some help. Many Newbies and Wise Birds are here to answer questions and give a pat on the back.
          Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
          pointed the way
          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wine-no and kambob
            yeah!!! 30 days. Awesome. :dog:dog:
            hadit
            Yes I will be here for this weekend. I know I am ready for some rest. Weekends have become restfull again. Thanks for the encouragement. One day at a time. I am holding onto my quit. This is the most important thing in my life. No matter what those around me choose to do.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats Wine-no and kambob on your 30 days!!!! That is awesome!!! :goodjob:
              On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Holy Moly! I've missed so much! I had internet the one night, but then changed hotels and they wanted to charge $12.95 per internet connection and I am too cheap to pay! I had a dinner with a department store chain celebrating 125 years in business. They had a wonderful dinner and a concert with Kelly Clarkson! I went with my boss and the customer. Open bar, of course. I was the only non drinker at the table. At the end of the dinner they came around and poured everyone a glass of champagne. They filled mine up, I lifted it, and I clinked it, but I'll be damned if I was gonna drink it! It was amusing that the customer said it was the worst champagne he'd ever tasted. I thought, gosh am I glad I didn't blow my quit on this! Then when we went into the concert hall where Kelly Clarkson was, there was another champagne toast! So I clinked again. But sat it down after everyone was done with all that. There was a time when this type of evening would have been a real challenge....THAT is the point of hanging in there with your quit....it gets easier! No one questioned why I wasn't drinking and no one noticed that I didn't drink the champagne...I just didn't make a big deal out of it and no one else did either. I had a very nice evening and happy to be home now. So good to see everyone! Just keep being sober and you will never regret it! I mean really, what are the choices? Stay sober or go back to hell? No thanks! (and those really are the only 2 choices). We can not have just a simple evening of blowing it out, it is all or nothing...being sober is just easier. It's not an option for me.

I will get on with the awards we have going on right here!! But I will do that in a separate message. Keep your quits going no matter what and no matter who!!! I promise it's worth it! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Attention, Nesters! It is my privilege to call the following folks up to the front of the room....Wine-no and Kambob! (applause)

What a joy it is to present these awards to you for 30 days of urge surfing...countless hours of reading and posting, and for all your contributions to this site! Here are your hats!!!

:day5::day5:

Every one of us knows what a massive effort this is. I hope that you both will build on this solid foundation and keep it going forever....one day at a time. Raise your AF glasses with me and let's toast these 2 nesters for a job well done. As I always do, would you have any words for our very newest nesters as to how you did it...what was your secret weapon that helped you string together success? Great job you two!!!! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1512944 wrote: Holy Moly! I've missed so much! I had internet the one night, but then changed hotels and they wanted to charge $12.95 per internet connection and I am too cheap to pay!..
                    A girl after my own heart!! So happy to have you back in The Nest!! :chick:
                    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                    pointed the way
                    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thankyew, thankyew, all. It's been a privilege to be here for the last 30 days, and I mean that very sincerely. Reading all of the stories, (both successful and some not quite so) has been a lifesaver and having you all rooting for me (and my Twinnie Wine-no) is really humbling (and dare I say it, flattering as well).

I'm not looking for another week or month AF...for me it is literally one day at a time. And every day is another day I'm grateful for being here.

(goes off singing and dancing :H :H )

kambob
                      Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

Comment

Newbies Nest

kambob;1512958 wrote: Thankyew, thankyew, all. It's been a privilege to be here for the last 30 days, and I mean that very sincerely. Reading all of the stories, (both successful and some not quite so) has been a lifesaver and having you all rooting for me (and my Twinnie Wine-no) is really humbling (and dare I say it, flattering as well).

I'm not looking for another week or month AF...for me it is literally one day at a time. And every day is another day I'm grateful for being here.

(goes off singing and dancing :H :H )

kambob
                        Congratulations Kambob! And Congratulations Wine no on 30 days AF. Huge accomplishment both of you. Bravo!

I'm rooting for you here!

You sound fab. Keep it going friend.

Day 19. Bring it on.

Take care y'all. Think positive. Dreams can come true.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Everyone, Kambob hang in there. Goodaye G. Off to work. Look fwd to catching up with u all at the weekend. Sorry to rush! Day 23 here!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just got back from my friend's wake. Died a drunk at the age of 56. I loved him like a brother. It was very sad but the nice thing? They let us put his Harley inside the funeral home next to his casket Nick would have loved that!!
                            I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry for your loss, Jennie :l

Good for the funeral home for letting you guys have the wake to celebrate your friend the way you wanted to!
                              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats to Wine No and Kambob - onwards and upwards! Keep going!
                                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X