Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1513085 wrote: Good evening Nesters!

Boy, was it ever a hot & humid day here....93 degrees - yuck!
    But I did get to spend the afternoon with ny daughter & grandaughter, very nice

Tess, my DIL just graduated last weekend, she's starting right in grad school next week!!! Congrats to you on all of your successes

Greetings to everyone, congrats to the 30 day kids today & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
    Lav
    It was hot yesterday, today's suppose to be warmer and the locusts are howling. We were doing this job yesterday (I do surveying work) where we had to use radios to talk to one another 100 feet apart.

Yesterday was a strange one. My habits were to work physically hard then to reward myself with multiple beers in the evening. It being hot and me being tired after finishing chores around 8 last night made me begin to have that inter debate. I won out but sheesh you'd think it would cease and desist. Trigger points, I guess, like the dog and the bell for food.

Lav
    I'm getting 15 more baby chicks in 2 weeks!

SS
    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters , Just checking in to say hi and to wish you well for the w/e.I have Just been out for dinner with friends. Plenty of wine but I stuck to my Diet Coke. 4rth af weekend coming up for me. Its 10.oopm in OZ and a very cold damp evening. I am about to hit the sack so will catch u all tommorrow . Day 23 done and dusted!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sam
        I know what you are talking about those triggers. Great job.
        Hope everyone has a great af day.
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!!!
          Great to see everyone! Some new faces, Solista, so glad you found your way over! We have lots of success here in the nest! It's all a mindset. We have programmed ourselves to think we can't live without this stuff, but as it turns out, we've been lied to ( imagine that!). Addiction Head (Dick Head) will tell us anything to stay alive. We all are living proof that you CAN not only survive without AL, but THRIVE! You are going to be amazed at how wonderful NORMAL feels! Post as often as you like and someone will be along to help you thru! NoSugar made an excellent point the other day that if you just go back thru the 7 years of posts in the Newbie's Nest, you will more than likely find someone who has gone thru the very same situation, so if you don't get an immediate answer, dig into past posts and you will find more info.

Friday is just another day of the week, not a ticket to Boozeville! K9 will be along with the Pep Squad to cheer us on into the weekend! Every day you can put between you and AL is a good day! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters, Well last night was a tough one! My 16 son decided to bring home a dog (we already have 3 small dogs) He brought home a 6 month old pit bull! Not good I was so stressed all night my other dogs were going crazy. I am supposed to watch my 1 year old grandson today. Im thinking of going home at lunch and just opening the gate to my back yard. I did pour a glass of wine last night and took a couple sips and dumped it. Luckily I didn't have any pino gritio in the house it was my husbands red and tasted terrible so I would like to still say today is day 4.....I need to figure out another way to deal with the intense stress....
            DW

Comment

Newbies Nest

I understand the stress of a new dog, but please do not just let the dog loose! It is too young to survive on its own and might be picked up by someone and trained to fight! I would offer to come get it but I don't know where you live.

Do you have any rescues or no-kill shelters near you? PM me your location if you want help placing the puppy with a rescue!
              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren thanks. I am in Austin Texas. I am having some of the girls I work for make some calls to friends and I will look for a rescue. One of my neighbors has already called and stated they are going to call the owner (we are renting) we live in a influential neighborhood and pitbills are labeled as dangerous dogs. I am an animal lover so I really wouldn't jsut let it go and I also have to figure out how I am going to handle my son after school when he finds out its gone. I don't mind if he really wants a new dog to be his "own" but it can't be a pitbull.
                DW

Comment

Newbies Nest

i think pitbulls get a bad rap sometimes,its mostly how theyre raised,have you guys ever noticed that all dogs are just like people?some are assholes,some are sweet,some are old and grumpy,its funny my dog winslow got out a few years ago,got taken to doggy jail,when we went to pick him up they said he was unadoptable because he had a bad attitude and they were gonna put him down! thank goodness we had his papers,and hes a sweetie,just not used to strangers,you guys have a great af weekend
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Newbies Nest

:yougo::yougo:HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!:yougo::yougo:

Solista - Welcome to the Nest! You'll find it's very comfy here. Pull up a twig and stay for a (long) while! I am hoping another new member, Witts End, finds her way here too.

DW - I hope you can find a good home for the dog. I agree with Pauly that Pit Bulls have it hard. It's the owners, not the dogs, that make them the way they are...it's very sad. A lot of gang/thug types use these dogs as a status symbol. They have no concern for the well-being of the animal, just what it represents. A year or so ago we found a little chihuahua and I've never been a fan of them, but I could NOT bring myself to take her to the shelter that is already full of unwanted chihuahuas...it would have been a death sentence for her. My daughter just LOVES that dog (and vice versa), which is good because the dog seems to hate me. LOL

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before.

Now get out there and have a great, sober weekend! :l
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for everyones input. I am trying to find a home. Our local animal shelter is a "no-kill" shelter so if he has to go there it won't be the worse. I have someone to at least keep for the weekend so I don't have to worry about my grandson. I just hope my teenager doesn't flip and me want to deal with the stress with wine. It will be awesome to do an AF weekend.
                      DW

Comment

Newbies Nest

DW,
                        Some of us have managed to remain AF through some extremely stressful situations.
                        It did't even occur to me to drink when my husband of 37 years suddenly up & left three years ago. I was shocked as hell, believe me but I didn't consider drinking. Why? Because i had removed drinking as an option more than a year before. Drinking is never the answer to anything if you want an AF life
                        Get the dog to the SPCA. I wouldn't consider having one around my grandkids.
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters,

My little corner of geography is just about the last place to wake up in the world. We've had lots of rain (we're used to that), but the sun is trying to peek out this morning. Nice!!

Last night I was reading a magazine that Hubs bought for himself: a strong, outdoors-man type of read. Actually, the cover caught my attention: A handsome guy with his dog... :specs: Gorgeous dog!!

Anyway... I came across this bit of advice: Keep these six necessities in the trunk for spur-of-the-moment getaways. Listed are such things as a backpack and sunglasses. A sleeping bag. (Hell, I'm not going to sleep under a tree on the spur of the moment -- but that's just me.) Included in the list of necessities is a bottle of whiskey. Mind you, this is listed as a must-have because: "There's no better way to make friends." Really?? No possible better way to make a friend than to drink whiskey together? Right... And is that "friend" going to be with you for the long haul? Nope. Once the bottle is empty, they are going to find their own tree to sleep under...

My point is, no matter where we look (okay, I should not have fallen for the handsome guy and his dog), alcohol is touted as the way to be cool, make friends, have fun. And for some people I suppose it works in exactly that way.

I worked in a medical office for a few years before starting college. I was saving money for my education so that I would not graduate with a ton of student debt. During that time, I kept a pretty little box of individually wrapped chocolates on my desk for people who would stop by to visit, whether patients (to discuss their bill) or co-workers (to discuss the manager). They enjoyed the chocolate. It held no strong appeal for me. Once in a while, maybe every couple of weeks, I would eat a chocolate.

So... I think that's the way it is with some people and alcohol. (Not us, Dear Nesters, Not us)
                          . They can have a drink or two, sleep under the stars, and not think about whiskey again for a couple of weeks.

I still don't think whiskey is the best way to make friends. Just my opinion.

Have a lovely AF Friday everyone. Watch out for hikers with backpacks "loaded" with necessities!!!... :giggle:
                          Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                          pointed the way
                          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess, that article stinks! I think I disagree with the whole thing! Maybe for a guy the backpack and whisky thing, but unless there are good bathroom facilities, a battery operated curling iron and internet, I'm out!
                            That's why our community here is SO important. Society is telling us it's OK to drink...we are the few that must not participate. I don't know how anyone could be in recovery alone. There are just too many bombardments of advertisements, social functions, family and friends shoving it in our faces. There is strength in numbers, so together we can forge ahead! Sober IS the new drunk. Byrdie

P.S. I love my Chihuahua!!
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I read a great book earlier this week 'Sober is my new drunk' by Paul Carr (bargain on kindle). Really fun read (his writing style and humour I mean!).
                              AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1513342 wrote: ... but unless there are good bathroom facilities, a battery operated curling iron and internet, I'm out!
                                I consider staying in a Holiday Inn 'roughing it'. :H:H:H
                                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X