X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

LittleEAGLE and UNWANTED...we still love you....despite the typos! :H
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Very powerful post Mr. G, powerful indeed!
      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Had a Skype call from back home and am feeling stressed out that I can't say what I want too without bringing someone else's mood down. Really really want that glass of wine but I'm fighting the craving.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Guitarista;1513456 wrote: Err, try ME! :H

Back on the horse Soda and JD. There is no failure. Look at me. An AF champion, sober for 2.5 years recently, then didn't fall, but made a choice to drink. It has taken me 2 years of stop start, stop start drinking to get back on the AF wagon. I haven't been drinking wildly out of control like before, but I could see the gates of hell creaking open to welcome me back. No thanks.

Getting back on the AF train has been deceptively difficult for a seasoned campaigner like myself. AL is a crafty foe, but it is about what happens to our body chemistry when we drink again, and how and why this results in strong mental and physical cravings. For me, knowledge is power, and just understanding and learning how and why my body and mind reacts to AL the way it does is making my quit a lot easier.

Think positive everyone, and just push through and keep going if you are struggling.

Day 20. Bring it on!
          Dear Mr. G.,

I didn't know your any of your story before I read this post -- it makes the good cheer, enthusiasm, support, open heart, and love you show to everyone here all the more touching - thanks for your efforts to keep all of our spirits up.

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren136;1513431 wrote: :l JDG :l

Check in tomorrow - We're starting an AF June thread.
            May I join?

Comment

Newbies Nest

piper123;1513516 wrote: May I join?
              Of course! Anyone trying to be AF in June is welcome!
              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Anything you can share for the uninitiated, G?
                Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here. I too have been studying what happens to our brains as a result of drinking or doing drugs. I wanted to know why I was so sincere about wanting to quit but couldn't. They're making great strides in understanding our brains because of the advances in technology. If you're interested, the book I just finished is called Unchain Your Brain by Amen and Smith. I think it's worthwhile (I downloaded it to my Kindle from Amazon). You can also get it paperback.

Here's a really simplistic description - the book goes into MUCH more detail obviously:

Because two different parts of our brains are involved in addiction and higher level thinking, we can experience this dichotomy of wanting to quit but not being able to. In really simple terms, the high level thinking part of our brains tells us not to, but the primitive part that controls cravings that are healthy (like we have to crave and have hunger if we are to survive as a species).....is the same part that can make us crave alcohol. Something akin to grooves or pathways are formed when we drink or do drugs, and eventually our brain thinks that that craving can only be satiated with alcohol.

My understanding is that we can create new pathways with healthy behaviors like exercise, meditation, enjoying nature, drinking a cup of hot tea, reading a good book, eating healthy foods, doing volunteer work, etc. - things that aren't destructive and that eventually the destructive pathways don't have the power they once did and that the cravings and thoughts can subside.

Mr. G. It's also helping me to understand the bigger picture. No guarantee but as you say, knowledge is power.

Soloista, fast forward to tomorrow morning and how much better you'll feel. Take a warm bath or eat something!

I'll be joining you all on the June thread. There is strength in numbers!

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1513497 wrote: I am struggling big time because I have been in a foul mood for weeks and can't seem to shake it. I can't believe it after 4 months. So, I need to build my arsenal....off to an AA meeting
                  Maybe I need a vacation.....that sounds so good but it is an entire month away and only one week long!!! I hate it when I feel this way because I really and truly do not have all that much to be down about....but then again, am I suppressing something and that is preventing me from being happy?
                  I just don't know

Sorry to be such a downer. The good news is, despite feeling this way, I am NOT GOING TO DRINK
                  jenniech;1513438 wrote:
                  when I have 125 days AF and I want to pick up a bottle of cold white wine so badly that I want to scream. I am just so damn sick and tired of being grouchy and irritable. This has been going on for a good 2 or 3 weeks now and I CAN"T STAND IT.:upset:
                  Hey, Jennie

I saw these 2 posts from you and have been thinking about them. It sounds like you think that maybe you are irritable and annoyed because you aren't drinking. I think I drank because I was irritable, sad, lonely, disappointed, down on myself, etc. In the early days, the drinking must have helped me not feel those emotions but of course later, it just exacerbated them.

I think it can be just the 'stuff of life' that causes negativity - everything adds up. Maybe you are just having the typical responses of a full-time working mom/wife in a stressful, responsible job who is trying to 'do it all' but no longer has the outlet that served you all those years
                  . Add to that the recent death of a person you love and it just seems like too much.

The "wanting a drink" could be your mind's programmed response to stresses of all sorts. Maybe you just really want all the things that are driving you crazy to stop and go away. Now that you can't retreat into a bottle, there they are waiting for you to 'fix'. Who wouldn't be annoyed and irritated??

Anyway, I'm sorry you're down and I'm so thrilled that you aren't letting that beat you.

I hope tomorrow is a better day. :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jenniech,
                    Hope you are feeling better, so proud of your resolve to remain AF despite all of your stress , this is the inspiration of the MWO, being disheartened requires more determination which you possess! We are here for you :l

JDG and sodagirl, please don't let a slip change your mindset. When I feel those cravings set in , I always try to remind myself I searched this site for a reason, and so did everyone who is here. For us AL is not the answer and even if we fall we must get back up because we are worth it. You are worth it. Look in the tool box for some tips, we all have been where you are, remember the nest is great for support and compassion. Thinking of you both :h
                    On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sodagirl, JDG, piper123 hope to see you on the June thread. I will tell you that I joined the 311 gang, a thread that Siren started because there were alot of us who had their quit day on March 11. THANKS SIREN!!!! That was my quit day, and I have not had a drink since. I owe my success thus far to the monthly April, May threads that were started afterwards as well. I find them REALLY helpful, hope to see you on the June thread!
                      On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Sadly watching the news of more tornadoes blowing thru the midwest - hope everyone is safe

Falling out of the nest is painful kids so please hang on the best you can. Make sure your fall is brief, climb right back in & revise your plans.

Samstone - what kind of chicks are you getting?
                        I just love the day old hatchlings when they arrive in the mail :H
                        My Buff Orpingtons grow into big birds very quickly as you can see.

Wishing everyone a supersafe night in the nest
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1513541 wrote: Good evening Nesters,

Sadly watching the news of more tornadoes blowing thru the midwest - hope everyone is safe

Falling out of the nest is painful kids so please hang on the best you can. Make sure your fall is brief, climb right back in & revise your plans.

Samstone - what kind of chicks are you getting?
                          I just love the day old hatchlings when they arrive in the mail :H
                          My Buff Orpingtons grow into big birds very quickly as you can see.

Wishing everyone a supersafe night in the nest
                          Lav
                          Hello Lav
                          we're getting a mix of Autralorps, Black stars, Buff Orpingtons, and Speckled Suxxex. We've got about 25 hens now, but they'e getting some age. It IS quite fun when they first arrive!

Sometimes it feels like I'm running a zoo here. Have one calf I'm bottle feeding and one calf that broke its leg about 8 weeks ago. Tomorrow I am planning on moving her out on pasture and see how she does. She needs to get on some grass.

Good night all, have an enjoyable weekend!

SS
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Unwasted;1513525 wrote: Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here. I too have been studying what happens to our brains as a result of drinking or doing drugs. I wanted to know why I was so sincere about wanting to quit but couldn't. They're making great strides in understanding our brains because of the advances in technology. If you're interested, the book I just finished is called Unchain Your Brain by Amen and Smith. I think it's worthwhile (I downloaded it to my Kindle from Amazon). You can also get it paperback.

Here's a really simplistic description - the book goes into MUCH more detail obviously:

Because two different parts of our brains are involved in addiction and higher level thinking, we can experience this dichotomy of wanting to quit but not being able to. In really simple terms, the high level thinking part of our brains tells us not to, but the primitive part that controls cravings that are healthy (like we have to crave and have hunger if we are to survive as a species).....is the same part that can make us crave alcohol. Something akin to grooves or pathways are formed when we drink or do drugs, and eventually our brain thinks that that craving can only be satiated with alcohol.

My understanding is that we can create new pathways with healthy behaviors like exercise, meditation, enjoying nature, drinking a cup of hot tea, reading a good book, eating healthy foods, doing volunteer work, etc. - things that aren't destructive and that eventually the destructive pathways don't have the power they once did and that the cravings and thoughts can subside.

Interesting post. I've heard of grooving new neurological pathways and it absolutely does make sense. My new groove fancied the old one last night though but me and my little brain said NO!

Anyway, wishing everyone a very happy sober Satuday.
                            Day 11 FF
                            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren136;1513460 wrote: Anything you can share for the uninitiated, G?
                              Hi Siren,

See Unwasted's post above. That's pretty much the sort of thing i mean. There's some great stuff along these lines on the site but i'm not sure where. Possibly if you look in holistics? Kuya also has a fair bit of info on the chemical impact of AL and why our bodies react as they do, and ways we can repair our damaged neurological pathways, nervous system etc.

NoSugar;1513528 wrote:
                              Hey, Jennie

I saw these 2 posts from you and have been thinking about them. It sounds like you think that maybe you are irritable and annoyed because you aren't drinking. I think I drank because I was irritable, sad, lonely, disappointed, down on myself, etc. In the early days, the drinking must have helped me not feel those emotions but of course later, it just exacerbated them.

I think it can be just the 'stuff of life' that causes negativity - everything adds up. Maybe you are just having the typical responses of a full-time working mom/wife in a stressful, responsible job who is trying to 'do it all' but no longer has the outlet that served you all those years
                              . Add to that the recent death of a person you love and it just seems like too much.

The "wanting a drink" could be your mind's programmed response to stresses of all sorts. Maybe you just really want all the things that are driving you crazy to stop and go away. Now that you can't retreat into a bottle, there they are waiting for you to 'fix'. Who wouldn't be annoyed and irritated??

Anyway, I'm sorry you're down and I'm so thrilled that you aren't letting that beat you.

I hope tomorrow is a better day. :h NS
                              I think this is a very insightful post No sugar.

Jenny, i hope you are doing okay there. Wishing you peace and strength.

Strap in and take it easy y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dear all, been traveling the past 2.5 days and just now getting an internet connection (am in Japan). So much has happened in three days, can't respond to all but huge congrats to folks for staying on the AF path.

Jennie, I am sorry about the death of your friend and the difficult emotions you are facing. But the fact that you are not turning to AL is inspiring.

No Sugar, great post on "wanting a drink" when what we realy want is for the stresses of life to be dealt with.

Unwasted, thanks for the book suggestion. Will look into it.

Happy to report an AF day for me and my commitment to AF June.
                                Free at Last
                                "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                                http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Working...
                                X