Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lola and Lav
    I was asking long term to repair my body. I will practice saying no thanks as well.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nester's,

Hi Daily. Great to see you.

Read up on L-Glutamine powder, which are amino acids. I hear this stuff helps. Others here will know more and give you more detail. Plenty of water and eat healthy. Best wishes on your journey friend.

Think positive and just do your best.

Day 23. Bring it on!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

moretoit;1514862 wrote: ...Jenn, like you I wish I could ride the waves of the ocean, my cravings are not that long thankfully, but for those who's are keep reading and posting. There are many good and tried ways to ride those cravings.
        So everyone in the nest, stay dry and warm and of course AF

Enjoying life for there is so much "More to it"

Hey moretoit,

I'm catching up with posts. It's great to see you in The Nest today!!

Cravings... Wow! I remember how tough they were in the beginning!! I had quite a few tricks in my "Stay Sober" survival kit, but the one that I had to fall back on most often was to tell myself, No! Hell No!! It was like there was a whining, crying, pitching-a-fit child in me (like we sometimes see at the market) AND an all-wise adult who was not going to be manipulated :no!:. Sometimes "the child" would get so absolutely frustrated with "the adult" (the one in charge) that I would literally sit on the floor and sob. Just cry and cry. And I would say to myself, "That's okay baby girl, cry and cry. I love you." And the answer is STILL, No! Hell No!!

If this sounds crazy, it's probably because it was. When I made the decision to get sober I was on the brink of a total breakdown, or at least that's how I felt. I had so desperately wanted free from the complete misery of alcoholism for such a long time, but every day -- sure enough -- I would drink again.

So... this approach may not work for everyone. In fact, it may not work for anyone. But it worked for me. I had to put a strong, loving, (very strong, did I mention that??) WISE ADULT in charge of my drinking.

I would also pamper myself, give myself treats, bubble baths, you know -- things like that. But when I would begin to think, "Ah, just one cold beer. Just one. Won't hurt anything..." I would hear, No! Hell No!!

And then it started to get easier.

Each of us must find what works. :heart:
        Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
        pointed the way
        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess you made me cry. I also treat myself. Make it through a big weekend, a new shirt etc. I have tried several times to quit drinking. I took the idea of practicing how to say no and ran with it. I am now telling hubby how I am practicing. We have my in laws coming this week and I have practiced for two weeks how to deal with heavy drinkers around me.
          Have a happy af night everyone.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ah, little beagle,

We in The Nest can do this together. Team MWO!! Practicing how to say No is a fab idea. Good for you!! Others here have said to just sort of be the way you've been with your in laws except for having a liquid other than alcohol in your glass. There does not necessarily need to be a big "announcement" or "show down." AND keep posting, if you can. Run to The Nest (and other threads) for support. Stay strong. You can do this. It feels so great to live a sober life!! :huggy
            Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
            pointed the way
            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

No! Hell No! No Hell No!!! All the way home!!!! Ugh - why is my mind trying to trick me?!?!?!?!? I hate Day 3!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the reminder about the L-glutamine. I think I may still have some from when I joined 5 years ago. Kudzu rescue too. Must locate it and give those things a go!!
                Tess - thanks for the mantra - I managed to get home without passing the wine store!!!!
                xoxoxo peanut

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Practice makes perfect kids
                  Just keep saying 'No thanks' out loud, over & over.....your brain will get the message!!!!

Peanut, glad you got home safely!

Glad to see everyone flexing their AF muscles. Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am now stuffed with dinner and there is room for nothing else in there. Off to canvas for the Lung Association - do something good in this world!!!
                    Goodnight!
                    xoxo peanut

Comment

Newbies Nest

Peanut: BRAVO for you!!!
                      I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

lola, thanks for remembering me. I am hanging in there tonight. I didn't sleep at all last night just laid in bed quiet with the tv on and no sound. I put in the time for day one again. It was so awful and today I was so tired. I am grateful for making it this far. My children all graduated from college a few weeks ago and I am very grateful and proud of them. What is keeping me motivated is if I were them I certainly wouldn't want to know my mom had gotten as bad as she had. And trying to keep it up iand hide it is impossible. One daughter is living with me. The other daughter may return in a few months from an internhip. The daughter living with me willl find out. She has before as has my other daughter. And it is not fun. The self loathing is awful. My son really hasn't lived here in the four years he has been away and he just took a job in another state. He and one of my daughters didn't really think I had a problem and would tell the other daughter to stop giving me such a hard time. But over the past year and a half, things have happened and I simply can't have my daughter look at me with that knowing look questioning in her mind "has she been drinking?" Or when the other two talk with me on the phone, simply stop the conversation and say they have to go. She, as the others, don't even ask now unless of course they find what I have hidden or I've drank a little too much and they can just tell. I see it in their faces and in the tone of their voices. And I don't want to give any of them reason any more to question themselves or for me to have to lie because I can't bare to disappoint them and just maybe I'll get away with it one more time.

I hope all have a good night. I am up way past my normal black out for the second night in a row and it feels pretty good. I just finished a double sleep tea so I'll post tomorrow...

piper

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh Piper - I do feel for you. My kids have been watching me for years. I particularly hated it when I would call them and ask them a question, and have them tell me, "mom, we talked about this last night!" How horrid. How embarrassing!!!! I'm sure they love you and just worry about you. I told my eldest what I am doing, and she is so happy and proud of me. I can't let her down!!!! And if my son calls and needs me for something, I don't want to say I can't because I have been drinking!!! I should have thought of this long ago when they were littler!!!! Makes me feel so bad. The best to you and your family - sleep well tonight.

On a bright note - I raised $240 canvassing one block, did my 3 workout challenges, don't feel so stuffed any more, but have no cravings. I shall have some soda and cranberry, relax and try to sleep.

Goodnight all, and I look forward to us all having another successful AF day tomorrow!
                          xoxoxo peanut

Comment

Newbies Nest

Piper...Peanut... I know exactly what you are saying. Look up and you'll see those three big reasons I have to get rid of AL...

Velcro'd in the nest tonight. :bedtime:

:l :h
                            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in to say hi to all the Nesters. Very tired & irritable, might be menopause!

Day 37 AF today. What's helped me stay the course? Reading & posting on MWO, Campral (prescribed by doctor), healthy food, support from friends, keeping busy/distracted, last but not least - the total fear of falling back into the nightmare cycle of alcoholism. Prior to 37 days ago, I wasn't even experiencing 'hang-overs' as such; it was more a continuous loop of drinking, craving, withdrawing, drinking, craving,etc - in a haze 24/7!

Best wishes to all, particularly those struggling at the moment.
                              Steady
                              :h
                              AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nester's, hi Steady,

Wrapping up day 23 here. All good.

Peace, clarity and a bit of strength to those folks doing it tough at the moment. Think positive and just do your best.

Hadit, how are you doing?

G'night. G bloke. :h

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X