Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Peanut, eating is your Silver Bullet against cravings! Remember the big triggers...HALT. Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Sometimes just realizing that helps you round the corner! You are doing great!

Where is Dottie Belle? And Pinecone??
    Hope everyone is having a good afternoon....Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi y'all,

and where are you Hadit?

Moretoit, I am thinking of you and your bro.

Byrdy, I like what you said earlier re struggle means growth. True for me, and that's an excellent thing to remember. Would be a cool signature line.

Day 24. Bring it on!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

not entirely sure what the etiquette is here, but I'm a newbie so I thought I'd say hello

I wrote a little bio of my drinking career here:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/newbie-77408.html

not quite sure how you do links ...

anyway, nice to be here

Comment

Newbies Nest

HA! I could never be the last man standing as I had too much wine and was the one to pass out. How my hubby got me to the car so many times I'll never know. It is good to be able to talk about those terrible times so they don't return. I am glad I found this site. Day 2 coming to a difficult time of day...
          DW

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thankyou for all your support and understanding. The only thing I am grateful is that our Mom is not here to see this. She would however be proud of his strength and determination. I am beginning a portrait of him I hope to have finished for the weekeend to give to my SIL, not sure if it is appropriate, but I want to draw him while he is here.
            I will keep stopping, once I started reading I was no longer feeling alone. Thankyou nesters.
            and I would like to give a big welcome to Some Dumbass, love the name, you will find the nest is full of wonderful warm people who all share the same thing.
            Good night nesters, little sleep and tears tend to tire a poor soul.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome some SomeD
              This is a great site! I am new here had about 5 days then slipped on Sunday so back to day 2 today. Stay close keep reading and posting. That seems to be helping me. They are great people here.
              DW

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, Some-D! Posting links already!! It took me 2 weeks before I could figure out how to reply!!
                You are certainly among like-minded people who are realizing that life with AL is no longer do-able. As you can see, this site is full of information and stories. We celebrate victories and we help each other up when needed. You've come to a great spot....read and post!
                We're so glad you're here! Byrdie
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goooooood morning Nesters! Wishing you all a fantabulous day ahead (or a good night's sleep as the case may be) and keep on keeping OFF the dreaded poison. Every day (nay, every bloody hour sometimes) is one more that you can notch up to your inner strength and resolve. It's so worth it!

kambob
                  Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kambob, you are sounding positively brilliant! Your mood is contagious! Keep up the great work! B
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

kambob: I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!
                      I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey everyone!!!!!! Have a great day/ evening and keep smiling!!!!!!!! It's so great to be here and clear WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Crikey Kambob - that's some contagious enthusiasm you've got going there! Way to go and keep it up!!!

LLL - We're glad you're here and clear too! My day is wrapping up (my last obstacle of the day will be some torture at the gym). After that a nice early night with a good book (and my doggie!) and waking up tomorrow hang-over free!!

Is tomorrow only Wednesday though?
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just read this from somebody's post - K9 via Kambob???

A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

That is the best!!!!! I shall put it on my fridge and tape it to the inside of my van window!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today has been one of the most fucked-up and one of the most magnificent days of my life.

At 5:00 this morning I learn from my dad that my oldest sister (11 years elder), who is "blessed" with slight mental retardation and lives in another state, has fallen and broken her arm. She has been taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital, treated, and left in the Emergency Dept waiting room to figure out how to get home. For reasons unknown, she is unable to get a cab. Right away "my hair is on fire" with anger because I have seen her be mistreated all of her life. I get on the phone with the local, unfriendly cab company and inquire how they can they be "too busy" to pick up my sister from the Emergency Dept waiting room and take her home. I gather my wits and ask the man that I am speaking with if he, as a cab driver, has ever been in a dicey situation and felt a bit of confusion or panic or maybe even fear. Pause. He says, "More than once, Lady." I explain to him that this is how my sister is feeling. Okay, maybe she sounded drunk or weird on the phone with the cabby, but she is neither. She is just a tender soul, in pain, who needs a ride home. He immediately "finds the time" to gather her up and take her home.

At 6:00 this morning I learn from my dad that my mom has discovered a lump in her right breast. "Will I come help?" Sure. Of course. I just need to find my shoes. And maybe my heart, which suddenly feels a bit numb. Now I'm driving in the Seattle commute. But I am grateful, so very extremely grateful, that I am not drunk or hungover. I sing songs from my childhood. Yes, Amazing Grace, but also little nursery hymns. I arrive. Mom takes me into her bedroom and, in front of her mirror, removes her robe. She shows me "the spot." The spot. Really?? The fucking spot
                              !! WTF!! She has a "dimple" on her right breast. I put my fingers, so gingerly, ("Are my fingers cold, Mom?") to her breast. I feel a walnut. Nothing less. I think, compulsively, "Ever heard of mammograms, Mom!! Ever heard of self breast exam?? What in hell has happened here?? But I say with such calm that the world may stop, "Mom, I'm going to put my fingers on your left breast for comparison." There's nothing. Smooth as silk. I feel nauseated. But I say, tenderly, "You need to see your doctor. Today." My mind is burning. My heart is bleeding. I am NOT a medical professional but ANYONE could clearly see that something is terribly wrong.

I want a beer. I want a six pack. I want a keg. I want an ocean of beer.

Hours later, appointments later, maybe nightmares later, I am home again. This is not a dream. This is life "spitting" itself out in real time.

But I have not had one alcoholic drink. I wanted to. I fantasized about a shower that would spew alcohol over my entire body so that every pore could absorb it and "check out" for a while.

Nope. Not that's just not gonna happen. It's just me, here. No beer. A bit numb but not really any worse for the wear.

And that is the magnificent part. ~
                              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                              pointed the way
                              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess
                                I feel your pain. I hope things end up alright for your mother. I recently had a tumor removed the size of a small melon. Just a tumor.
                                I will keep you in my heart.
                                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X