X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see you back Fin.

Tess, it's true - life changes & we have to change right along with it but we can make good changes. We can choose to try to drink away our stressful moments or we can choose to learn & grow. Being fully present for an ailing parent will help you continue on your path of growth. Take care of yourself first so that you can be the person your Mom needs right now

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1519684 wrote: Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see you back Fin.

Tess, it's true - life changes & we have to change right along with it but we can make good changes. We can choose to try to drink away our stressful moments or we can choose to learn & grow. Being fully present for an ailing parent will help you continue on your path of growth. Take care of yourself first so that you can be the person your Mom needs right now

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!
      Lav
      Dear Lav,

Thank you for your very kind message. To the best of my ability I am choosing to learn and grow.

I'm not really great with taking care of myself first.

But I am learning.

A sweet and peaceful night to you and All Nesters. ~

And special sweetest dreams to Fin.
      Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
      pointed the way
      with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 12 and going good. The weekend has me scared but I took some overtime so that will keep me busy tomorrow. Had a realization today that some of you might identify with. I am bored sitting around in the evenings now. Before when I slowly sipped my way into a sleepy stupor the evenings passed quickly. Now I find myself looking for things to do. Cooking like I haven't cooked in years. Ironed every shirt I have. Productive beyond belief! But I still get these sort of low grade headaches ( what's causing that?) and I still want to eat more than I need. Guess I'll worry about the weight later.

Fin and Tess I don't know you but my heart goes out to you. I lost my dad in 2008. I miss him terribly.
        Newbies Nest
        Toolbox
        My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

welcome 3june!!
          The headache is very common in early sobriety. Mine lasted for about 3 weeks. It will go away.....and the boredom? I had that too. But the longer you stay sober, the easier the nights go by and soon you will enjoy them again!! Yes, the eating is also something I did (ok, do) but I am still losing weight!!!

Just think of it as your body figuring out how to handle itself without alcohol. It takes time but each day gets better.
          I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hope everyone has a safe af weekend. Have some fun with this af thing. Do something you wouldn't be able to do before. Nite all
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1519704 wrote: welcome 3june!!
              The headache is very common in early sobriety. Mine lasted for about 3 weeks. It will go away.....and the boredom? I had that too. But the longer you stay sober, the easier the nights go by and soon you will enjoy them again!! Yes, the eating is also something I did (ok, do) but I am still losing weight!!!

Just think of it as your body figuring out how to handle itself without alcohol. It takes time but each day gets better.
              Thanks for the encouragement! It's great to be able to talk to people who get it. I have heard people talk about sugar spikes? Do you know what that's about?
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, I'm new here & after years of kidding myself that I'm in control, I'm not. I've almost bought meds online to help quit, but this morning (after yet another major bender) I've decided I will try this without meds first & see if I can get myself out of this nightmare.....here goes.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Getting back in Synch!

[QUOTE=Byrdlady;1519531]Lil B, Kuya has a theory (and I subscribe to it) that whenever we began to rely on AL as a mechanism (be it coping or socializing) is prolly about when our maturity ceased development. At that point, we were as emotionally mature as we were ever going to get. I believe that. Once we break that cycle (being AF for an extended period of time...it doesn't work if you keep starting and stopping), your emotional age catches up with your chronological age....and that takes some time. Once it does, everything FITS and feels NORMAL! It is a wonderful thing to experience. It hurts a bit as it does catch up, and we wonder what the hell is going on, it is uncomfortable and agitating at times. Stick it out, it is worth it.

Hey, I think Kuya's theory is spot on! And when I think that I've spent the last THIRTY years as a heavy drinker, it makes sense that I have to adjust, to grow, and get back in synch. Thanks, Kuya, for your insight! :thanks:
                  AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Saturday Night

Hello Nesters,

Firstly, sorry to hear of your troubles, Tess. Perhaps crying is a good thing really; it's supposed to be healing. Power to you for staying on track at a difficult time.

Everyone here in the nest is so honest and forthcoming with their insights, and I really respect that.

It's Saturday night now in Australia, and tomorrow will be seven weeks since I last drank (and got rotten drunk.) My husbands presently out drinking with some friends. That's fine for him; he can moderate....I know that I cant. I've hinted this to him but have never wanted it to be an issue for him (which would only make it harder for me.) With the support of you good people at MWO I don't feel alone. To think that a couple of months ago I was hiding vodka and beers all over the house...Now all I hide is my Campral. :H

Anyway, the weekend seems much longer and is definitely more productive now I'm AF. Going to a market tomorrow with an old friend. When Al was in control of my life I couldn't make plans to catch up with my friends as I'd never know how I would be from one day to the next..Drunk? 'Hungover'?, hanging out to get drunk? It was always at least one of the three!

Wintry weather here, so time for a hot chocolate and some READING - I can READ again! Woohoo!

love and best wishes,
                    Steady
                    AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters, rise & shine

Steadfast, you sound great, congrats on your 7 AF weeks, great work!

Hello & welcome mlisa!
                      Please settle in & make yourself comfortable for a while. Have you read the MWO book yet? You can download it right from the Health store here.

I am looking forward to decent weather today after a week of rain
                      Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Saturday!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone

It is a beautiful Saturday here on the East Coast. Sunny and in the low 80s today with low humidity.

3June...you are doing great. I too have an issue with being bored. I cant't believe how much I'm getting done. I did my usual Saturday cleaning on a Friday night. It's easy to get things done when I'm not worrying about what time I can start drinking and then sitting around drinking!

Jenn - When did you start losing weight after you stopped drinking? I am day 16 now. I have noticed that I don't have the bloating in my face anymore and my stomach is starting to lose the bloating but I haven't lost weight yet (and of course, I am impatient!) I have headaches everyday since I stopped but they are getting better.

Hope everyone has a great AF weekend. Enjoy your day!
                        Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
                        [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Night Nesters,Its 12.00 midnight in oz and I am about to hit the sack. Another weekend af .Hope everyone is doing well. will catch up tomorrow. Goodnight.:nutso:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Our Baccalaureate Mass will be this afternoon. I have been asked to say a word or two. My family will be there, of course. I am going to look into the eyes of my mother, not yet 60, and shed no tears. I am going to feel proud of HER.

Last night while not sleeping I read the following:

In one of his thousands of love poems to God, the Sufi mystic poet Rumi takes up the case of a man who spent his nights calling out God's name until his lips grew sweet with praise. Then one night a cynic asked the man if he had ever heard anything back. Since he had no answer to that, the man stopped praying and drifted into a muddled sleep. Khidr, the guide of souls, came to him in a dream and asked him why he had stopped praying.

"Because I've never heard anything back," the man said.

"This longing you express is the return message," Khidr told him.

The grief you cry out from
                            draws you toward union.

Your pure sadness
                            that wants help
                            is the secret cup.

Listen to the moan of a dog for its master.
                            That whining is the connection.

There are love dogs
                            no one knows the name of.

Give your life
                            to be one of them.

Beautiful ~

If I were still drinking alcohol I would probably not be at this celebration today. I would be crumped in my "secret" closet guzzling beer and not knowing how to live.

Congrats to ALL of you who are walking away from the bottle. It takes courage and strength and a real desire to live a decent life. I admire each and every one of you!! :chick:
                            Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                            pointed the way
                            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm brand new to MWO. I'm waiting on the book I ordered from Amazon to try to understand the program better. Not sure which herbs to order (there are about 12 of them listed), but I think the book will help with that. Did most of you use the CDs? Which ones were helpful? I'll be curious to learn more. And I sure am looking forward to freedom from having to drink even when I don't want to.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome, Freedom

It is pretty quiet around here on the weekends sometimes so please don't think you are being ignored. The Nest is a great place to hang out at the beginning of this journey! Have you read back a couple weeks? That is a good way to get to know the people who are posting. Also, the toolbox (link below) is full of good ideas.

I don't know too much about the CDs, book, or supplements but I know others here are very positive about them. Lav particularly encourages people to use the CDs.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Comment

Working...
                                X