• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Snap, have a lovely vacation & I hope you find some sun
    We'll all be with you in spirit!

Hope everyone has their plans set for an AF weekend. Remember your goals & there is no such thing as just one

Have a great AF Friday!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

JACKDANIELSGIRL Happy Birthday to youuuuuu, Happy birrrthday tooo youuuu. Happy birrrthaaay dear JDGGGGG. Happpy birrtthday tooo youuuu.

I'm at my 3rd and last day 14. 2 WEEKS AF. I want to shout it out loud, but can't. So I'll shout it here, instead. For your birthday - I wish you many AF days from now on.

Happy Day

-S- :bday1:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick check-in, feeling frazzled. Frantic day at work, then went to pub(!) - just to say hi to some people i haven't seen in ages. Started out ok, but after a couple of hours i was hanging out to go home. Very overwhelming to mix with lots of people, all of whom were drinking Al. But i needed to do it to 'test the waters', and also let them know i haven't fallen off the face of the earth - just not drinking any more. No-one tried to dissuade me from sticking to the wagon. Nice to see people, but am very frazzled!

To JDG and others having a challenging time; my heart goes out to you. We all know what it's like to battle the beast - keep on fighting.

It's friday night here in Australia, and i'm heading to bed. I'll be checking in to the nest again over the weekend to read and post.

travel well everyone,
        love, Steady
        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

STEADFAST - that's great that no one tried to disuade you. You have a good bunch of friends, huh? So glad you water testing came out good.

-S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters,

Its stormy here in the south. I am feeling much better starting yesterday about noon. No shakes, or sweats, mind is clearer hour by hour.

I am trying to look at my situation as a positive and not a negative. I believe God does not allow something to touch our lives that can not be used to help someone else.

Thank you to steady and last straw for the birthday wishes and anyone else that I have forgotten.

Looking forward to a great AF life ahead of me.
            JDG
            Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone, It has been a few months since my last check in with u good folk.It has been a rocky couple of months.Lasted AF for over a month and a half, that felt really good.I am now staring at day 1 again.I am not beating myself up about this,it happened now back at day 1 and looking for some support from you good folk. I like the taste of gin,I love how the tonic sparkles in a great Waterford crystal glass with ice and lime.The horrible thing is I can't just have one, I have to drink to the point of passing out or until the bottle is finished.I hate how friends and family define me by my ability to drink them under the table.I am off to put the kettle on and make a huge pot of tea and clean out the fridge....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters it's a rainy Friday starting off a long weekend here in Canada, but that's ok, I woke up feeling pretty good. Funny how a little thing like AL can make such a difference in your first waking moments. I am clear headed I am feeling active, want to get everything I can out of this day. Turn back a month where I would wake up feeling like shit and want nothing more than to crawl back into bed for hours. Oh well no point crying over spilt milk as they say.

JDG how are you? It's been 72 hours now? 3 days. How are you making out.

NS thanks for your support, those websites really make some sense of it all. I have an addictive personality. So if it isn't pot, or AL or food, hmm I think maybe exercise could be my next vice.
                Tess you're that close to 6 months now! Woooot!!
                Kradle, how did Matt hurt his wrist? Poor guy! Poor you!
                little beagle hey there! Congrats on 60 days!!
                Byrdlady welcome home. Good to know you're not snoring, but who told you that? *wink* Thanks for the encouragement, I got on the scales today and realized I actually haven't gained that much, I guess it's the eating sugar and carbs that's making me feel sick!
                Bella you can stop. It's not easy, but it's worth it, I promise. Keep posting, try one day, then another, that's all it takes.
                allankay you reminded me of all the negotiations I went through with AL. Buying more or less than I needed, yes, always a dilemna. Geez we wasted a lot of good energy didn't we?
                guitarista looking good! Yeehaw!
                witts end hey there!! Enjoy the day whatever the weather!
                SD - looking forward to your future posts. Say close, we were all wobbly at the beginning but we're here to prop you up!
                shep hope you can get that lawnmower going!! Good to see you're still posting and still AF!
                snapdragon we will miss you! Have a blast on your holidays!
                Lavande thanks for reminding us all to set our wekend plans in place. It makes such a difference when we end up in social situations. I have another family gathering this weekend, stressful but I have done it once I know I can do it again. I am trying AF sangria this time.
                laststraw day 14 wooot that's fabulous I bet you're feeling great!
                steadfast good job getting through your pub time unscathed!!
                Here's to a great weekend everyone! See you in the nest tonight.
                Newbies Nest
                Toolbox
                My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
                  I was looking back thru the Tool Box yesterday and am always struck by the amount of great information in there. I grabbed this post from Sober Visitor to share this morning. This is how our minds work! Hope everyone has a wonderful, sober weekend! Weekends are just another day in the week, not a free pass to Boozeville!

Originally Posted by Sober Visitor

JUNKIE THINKING: One drink won't hurt.
                  RESPONSE: One drink will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social drinker. One sip and I'll be drinking compulsively again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I only want one.
                  RESPONSE: I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 5 or 10 or 15 every day. I want them all.

JUNKIE THINKING: I?ll just be a social drinker.
                  RESPONSE: I?m a chronic, compulsive drinker, and once I drink one I?ll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social drinkers can take it or leave it. That?s not me.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now.
                  RESPONSE: The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore, I'll be drinking again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'll just stop again.
                  RESPONSE: Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time? And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?

JUNKIE THINKING: If I slip, I'll keep trying.
                  RESPONSE: If I think I can get away with one little "slip" now, I'll think I can get away with another little slip later on.

JUNKIE THINKING: I need one to get me through this withdrawal.
                  RESPONSE: Drinking will not get me through the discomfort of not drinking. It will only get me back to drinking. One sip stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I miss drinking right now.
                  RESPONSE: Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the pain of drinking right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-drinker with an occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it.

JUNKIE THINKING: I really need to drink now. I'm so upset.
                  RESPONSE: Drinking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset; I'll just be an upset drunk. I never have to have a drink. Drinking alcohol is not a need, it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not drinking.

JUNKIE THINKING: I don't care.
                  RESPONSE: WHAT IS IT EXACTLY THAT I THINK I DON'T CARE ABOUT? Can I truthfully say I don't care about my pain? I don't care about having a hangover in the morning? I don't care about what I'm doing to my liver, lungs, kidney, and heart? I don?t care about all the people I?ve hurt. No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped drinking in the first place.

JUNKIE THINKING: What difference does it make, anyway?
                  RESPONSE: It makes a difference in the way I live, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health.
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady, I needed that. I am going to print that and carry with me. I am back from a very long 6 months! I have to be here and I have to take it very serious. If I go out again, it could be my last! I must learn to live sober again! Day 1 for me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have some serious shakes today and got sporadic sleep last night! I feel like crap! No, crap would be a step up.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dogwood Blossom,

Just hang in there the first 24 hours are the worst, and then it will get better. Rest as you can, try Benadryl, drink lots of water, water, and more water.

Stay close here and read and post. If I can do this so can you.

Praying for you,
                        JDG
                        Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you JDG. I need your words and I need your prayers.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Why can't we carry the feeling of today with us wherever we go. To remember that Al is the great deceiver and liar! Why would we trade our health and feeling good for this horror! It baffles the mind. I don't think I have many more chances!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good advice JDG, I have also just finished a pot of ' builders brew " ( hot strong tea ), I am staying close to the nest today....Dogwood Blossom stay strong..we all need each other in this forum..

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes, we desperately need each other. I am staying close.

Comment

Working...
                                X