Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

It's so good to be here, thank you all I really need this tonight
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

NO SUGAR thanks. Information like the stuff you recently spoke of is why many of us are here. We want answers and sometimes we don't have the right questions. You are not a pooper, you are an inspiration. Thanks.

-S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, thanks Lav and TLS for not thinking I'm a total stick-in-the-mud !

This is my approach to almost everything- learn as much as I can about it. I think I subconsciously did not do my homework on alcohol all these years because I was scared of giving it up and once you know the truth...

We've all heard 'Once an addict, always an addict' but for me, it now helps to know why
        that is true. (And believe me, I'm convinced!!!)

Have a good AF evening, everyone.

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey everyone, I'm back and AF, on my way to day 5 tomorrow.

Thank you so much for emergency support. I kept seeing Byrdie's avatar all night and was very comfortable.

My friends were great and didn't really question me, but I did get comments on how good I looked. I told them I was working on a diet/health challenge.

Funny Nosugar, everyone really did drink less, like you guessed, and we still had fun and were comfortable together.

Thanks Mr. V, the support here is amazing, I'm very grateful.
          "A good garden may have some weeds"
          Thomas Fuller

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

That's great news Gardener

Welcome back broken halo
            Hang on tight, use the butt Velcro!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.
            I have had a full 12 hr+ day watching my grandsons, I am tired but happy. Tomorrow everyone will be over to finally do a late holiday BBQ.

Have a great AF night all!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

NOSUGAR - really, plant it and it will usually grow. I tried cilantro this year, transplanted too early, didn't take. Then I sprouted another seed - hope to keep it as an indoor plant to eat- as well as my parsley. Growing herbs outside brings bugs in during the winter from outside - not a good thing. So I will grow them inside.

-S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just a quick note and a good night. WOW, it's already 10pm. Day 6 done! Tomorrow in late afternoon will be day 7.

Still labeling myself a tree hugger and sticking in the nest with lots of velcro, although I'm thinking I may add some duck tape and super glue to myself.

Off to bed, may read a little and hope to get a few good hours of sleep. It seems I get some sleep, but the dreams are crazy and I am talking out loud and clearly in my sleep....YIKES! My boyfriend almost had a conversation with me last night, but I must have been disturbed because I stopped talking and rolled over.

Sweet dreams everyone:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening all. Haven't been in the best for awhile but wanted to check in and sprinkle some sober dust!
                  Started a sobriety program at my church and feel pretty good about it.
                  I think about all of you every day, and I hope you each are finding peace in this journey. We can do it. We will do it, and we ARE doing it!!
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19
                  Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                  Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                  Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                  11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                  12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

NURSIE

Just stick with the nest. Stick with us. Just do it. We are all here for you. Post.
                    -S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1528685 wrote: Believe it or not, it does make me feel better !

I could not understand why I could not stop a behavior that clearly was bad for me and that I did not enjoy. Understanding more completely that the cognitive part of my brain was not in charge (that loop goes on elsewhere) frankly makes me feel less like an idiot or "bad person". Because really, making something worse for yourself seems pretty ridiculous! Plus, that destructive loop that we can't control with our thoughts and will-power has extremely powerful inputs that just keep it going until something is done to stop it, such as via drugs, AA, MWO, etc. Another thing that can stop it has been experienced by several here -- pregnancy. Because we have a large cortex, we can override the loop but the motivating factor has to be very strong. Apparently the maternal instinct can transcend addiction.

Another thing that made things make more sense to me was that whereas at the beginning most people are drinking to go from feeling ok or good to feeling better (or great), by the time the damage has been done, the best
                      that can happen is to go from feeling bad to feeling ok. That is why so many of us have realized 'that it just isn't fun anymore' -- the deal is, it can't
                      be. Our brain has lost the capacity, making it difficult if not impossible to experience joy from normal things in life, either.

So, we have to quit and be done.

Sorry to be the party-pooper in the Nest .
                      Oh NS I really hope I didn't offend you. I totally get that understanding the physical side of things can go a long way in our understanding of our addiction. I really didn't mean anything it just was me trying to make light of it all. Sorry!!
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

3June2013;1528871 wrote: Oh NS I really hope I didn't offend you. I totally get that understanding the physical side of things can go a long way in our understanding of our addiction. I really didn't mean anything it just was me trying to make light of it all. Sorry!!
                        Hi, June, please don't worry! I know I tend to over-learn various topics and get in deeper than many people are interested in going. Then I get all enthused about whatever it is and have to be careful not to be a total bore!!! Gotta remember that sometimes what to do and how to do it are much more important than the details of why.

I knew you were just kidding me .

Comment

Newbies Nest

Me too ns.
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning all from a bright and sunny UK. I slept and I am not shaking which is a good start. Plans for today are a badly needed haircut, and possibly even a workout at the gym. My house is a tip as a result of my recent binge, so will be doing some cleaning. I just wanted to pop on to say thanks to everyone, I was in a very bad place yesterday and you gave me hope. I will be drinking lots of tea and probably posting here to the point of annoyance, but it's where I need to be right now. I hope everyone is doing well, day 2, here I come!
                            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Saturday night in Australia. Have been reading through all of the foregoing posts; as usual they resonate with me very strongly. That's the great thing about this site - I had really believed that only i experienced the circling, crazy thoughts around drinking.

Now i understand this is how it goes for alcoholics, we get to a point where every moment is consumed by al. And it's clear to me now that to relapse would be to descend even deeper than before, to relapse would make it even more of a nightmare, even harder to get back out again. NO THANKYOU. Life's too short.

Lots of positive posts here, and people racking up the days. So good to feel the solidarity with other Nesters. Thankyou so much.

I'm staying close to the Nest. :h:h:h

Steady
                              AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Post away, BROKEN HALO.

everyone is here for you, even though we don't always answer back right away.

-S-

Comment

Working...
                                X