Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good evening all,

Nearing the end of yet another hot, humid & yucky day - geez! This summer has been brutal.

Shelle, glad you got to a meeting & are hanging out here
    Sounds like you have a plan started....keep going!

Good to be busy JDG - keep us out of trouble

Greetings to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am still af since last saturday. My thoughts are chattering...it's only wine, you can buy it at the grocery store! Look at all of it, it's everywhere. If it is that bad then why is it so available everywhere we turn? The memory of me lying in bed last saturday morning absolutely terrified of everything is a very powerful memory. So what did I do today? Instead of waking up and drinking which was hard because I am alone, and it's rainy stormy outside and it was my favorite drinking weather....to drink and then go back to sleep, drink, sleep, drink, sleep, until I woke up disgusted with myself on Sunday morn. I walked our dogs, took a zumba class at the gym, rode the bike for awhile, taught two swimming lessons to a young brother and sister in my neighborhood pool and made a little extra money and went straight to the nail salon and got my toes and fingernails manicured...lol. Now I'm sitting in bed watching "side effects" and the next movie on tap is hansel and gretel. And typing here of course. Off to give the pups their weekend doggie ice cream treats and unpause the movie.

8 days af for me. I wish I could say I am elated but I am still struggling with missing the illusion of being free. I wasn't free, but in the worst prison I could ever imagine.

Good night all... and thank you for being here.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow piper..wot a productive day u had!! U should be very proud of yrself and 8 days af is Amazing. Respect to you. Xxxx

Comment

Newbies Nest

Brydie....I really love the advice you give, the reality check and how much you care.

Lav....you lead by example....love it.

Piper...it's really a phase that you are going through with the thoughts of "how bad can it be if they sell it everywhere". I think it's one many of us go through. Glad you did not give in.

The truth of the matter is that Alcohol companies pay big bucks to have it so readily available. The state I live in does not sell wine in the grocery store. Yet, every year they spend ungodly amounts of money to get the law changed so they can sell it in the grocery. I am glad it gets shot down every time.

Lav in PA.....when I lived there they could not sell beer in the grocery store or at the gas station.....is it still like that? Beer was my drink of choice. I remember my dad having to get to distributor before 5pm. But I lived in a really small town.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Warm greetings, Nesters,

Tess, you continue to deal with a difficult situation in a positive way, power to you, and my thoughts are with you. My parents are elderly (both 83 yrs old) and are getting frail. So important to spend time with them, just another reason to stay AF.

Lots of talk about plans here in the Nest. A really good strategy. I've been kind of hibernating lately (it's wintry weather in Australia) but realise i need to get out and about to maintain the momentum. Although i have stray thoughts about al, i do not want to go back to "Alco-hell"; as my doctor and people on MWO have pointed out, each quit gets harder. It was 77 days ago that a kind publican drove me home as i couldn't walk. I will not put myself in that situation again.

So plans are in order! Am gonna fill my time (when not at work) with things i love - movies, coffee with friends, books, pampering etc!

Hope everyone here finds ways to be nurturing and good to themselves.

Peace to all in the Nest,
            Steady
            :h
            AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good job jdgirl. Staying busy is us what you need.
              Piper you are doing great.
              Mike glad you ae still hanging tough. First week down. Now the days will start to really add up for you.
              Like Byrdie's illustration I too ave quit before and then Really struggled to quit again. I wasn't sure I was going to get past week one this time the grip was so strong. I am absolutely terrified to go back to that dark, scary place I was in. Mwo is my sanity. I now laugh again. It has been so long since I felt well enough to really find humor in life.
              Staying af is so worth the small discomfort of overcoming those insane urges to drink.
              Have a good af Sunday everyone.:dog::dog:
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Up way too early due to the hot flash alarm :H
                Some day I hope to be able to turn if off - completely!

Piper & Steady, so glad you are both ignoring the mind chatter, that's all it really is, you don't have to listen

SF, I live in southeast PA, no wine or beer sales in the supermarkets here either. But, there is always a State store located nearby a supermarket. I happen to live about a quarter mile north of the MD state line where package stores are abundant. I also happen to live in an area where there are lots of Amish folks. When I first moved here I was shocked to see them pulling into the State store parking lot, parking the horse & buggy & running inside to buy their booze

little beagle, the longer you remain AF, the easier it becomes

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sunday everyone. I had a very relaxing Saturday. Much needed! I did have a man I've been talking to ask if I wanted to go out. I almost gave in and then visualized how the night would go and waking up this morning wracked with guilt. So I declined. I'm glad I did. I slept so well last night and woke up this morning refreshed.

I also woke up with my back out again. ERGH! I did some stretches, got the heating pad out (it's amazing how good I am at picking things up using my feet when my back is out. These are the times I am quite happy to be single so no one sees me contorted lol). I also gave in and took a muscle relaxant.

My goal today is to do some reading of the books given to me yesterday at the meeting, do some journaling based on some ideas I got from the tool box and if my back starts behaving, get some cleaning done. I also have some studying to do for finals and a project to work on for my boss. Luckily, most of these items can be completed without me moving.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters! Now here's something you don't see every day...THE SUN! I'm telling you, it has rained nonstop for 3 years. ehehehe.....Mighty good to see the sun....and good to see you, SunFlower, thank you for the kind words. I used to be rather reserved in my dogma about being AF, in fear that it might offend someone. But I have done a complete 180 on that. The only people that the AF stance offends are those who have no intention of following it anyway. The folks here are sick to death of living this life...I'm not here to tell them how to become a better drinker, I'm going to tell them how to get out of the hell that is Alcoholism. I really appreciate your words!! It takes everything we've got sometimes to beat those voices down. I'm not going to give them any ammo! Hugs to you!

Missy, I don't think I got a welcome in! Sounds like you are getting your Plan in order. So sorry about your back. That heating pad is a good friend for that. Every time I get up off of mine, I have to fight my dog for it when I come back! She LOVES it! (who doesn't?) Hope it feels better soon. The more you know about all this stuff the better, knowledge IS power!

I'm going to go out and investigate this strange thing in the sky!! So good to see everyone checking in!! That's what it takes! Commitment to stay the course! Don't look back, Nesters, there's nothing to see!!! Onwards and upwards!! Happy Sunday! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nest!
                      Sticking close to the nest and forums these next few weeks. We are moving and for some reason this is a huge trigger. New house, movers, boxes, people helping, hot days, ugh. People want to crack a cold one or toast to the new house. Anxiety over money, packing unpacking and all that stuff.
                      Not drinking! Not gonna do it!

I am also very sad to hear Finn from Glee died. He was just in rehab! This disease takes everything unless you take it out of your life.
                      Day 1 again 11/5/19
                      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I was so sad to hear about Finn as well. So young. So heartbreaking.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Everyone. Sober Sunday for me. I would have already downed a fifth by now. All these days AF and still feel not myself. The cravings are brutal.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mike go for a walk. A run? A swim? Do something different to take your mind away, the cravings will pass and you will feel better and better. Honest.
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wait, Finn died? I missed this totally. Does anyone have more info?
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, just hear bbq number two with the family. Did all of the cooking in the end. Had a great day but the questions were present about why I wasn't drinking.

As it is the once weekly binge I am trying to give up, it is these social situations that are a challenge. I had a beer at the end of the day. Everyone was timing their best one pint downing times. Caved in and joined in for just the one. Did not feel too bad. As long as I leave it there. I was not using it as a social lubricant or to numb myself. But do not want to flirt with it again as my brain will gradually tell me it is okay to have just one more.

Comment

Working...
                                X