Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Free - you were fully present for you father's last breath. I think you may be onto something that is significant for YOU: perhaps it would help to focus on your own precious breathing, each breath of life, when the cravings hit hard. Maybe just stop for a moment and notice each breath in and each breath out. :butterfly:

MS - Alcohol has stolen a lot of your life. Alcohol has stolen a lot of my life, too. I think we do best when we live our lives moment by moment, be those moments delightful or miserable. Stake a claim on your life, MS, and value your life for what it is: a beautiful miracle. Try your darndest to refuse to give one more moment over to alcohol. :lilheart:

Thanks to both of you for your well-wishes.
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nester's near and not so far!

Mindfulness. Living in the moment is what i try to do. No staring/dwelling on the past about what might have been but wasn't, and no worrying about the future and speculating. Just gratitude for today, and my universe, which is full of endless possibility.

You're a treasure Tess. Take good care of yourself friend.

Great to see you back on the horse FAL! Look forward to your return.

Hang in there Mein. You are a hero!

Day 69 here. What happens on this day Byrdie?

Wishing everyone a safe, sober, and magical weekend.

Just do your best friend. L8tr, Yo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, G.....On day 69, I guess you upside down 'Strayans' get upside down!!!
        Which ever way you prefer it, GREAT JOB on that string of days!!
        Mindfulness got me thru a lot of tough days. Enjoy each moment and every breath!
        About to wrap up this day, week, and thought! Stay strong everyone!! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Take good care of yourself Byrdie. Have a great weekend, and once again, thanks for being here.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters

Day 14 and Friday night, and I am very happy to report that I am still AF and NF. I was a little worried about eating out tonight. This has been my second social occasion, and for the first one, my nightmare withdrawals and binge were very fresh in my mind. This time was different. Two weeks. Usually by this time I would be telling myself it would be all right to have one or two. But tonight I was determined. Before going out I read, I meditated, I did what have I come to think of as my 'mental exercises'.

People were drinking all around me, smoking as we were seated outside due to the hot weather (the cigarette part was harder than the AL tonight!)

I enjoyed my food, my fizzy water, the company. I had a good time. I had promised myself the huge treat of NOT having a drink, and I thoroughly enjoyed that treat. So I am sitting here with a cup of tea and a clear head, wishing all Nesters are as contented and sober as I am tonight. Please be safe everyone. AL is not your friend. AL is not enjoyable for us anymore, being sober is.
            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Amen Tess. I just don't want to lose any more of my life to that beastly al.
              Mein. The sunshine in your name is inspiration. I think of Elvis when I see your name.
              His German phase was one of my favorites. Keep up the good work.
              Thanks Lav for the encouragement. I am trying to help hubby through addictions. Many of the things I say here, I tell him on a daily basis. Yes we are both broken, but we are working on it. Together. Thanks jdgirl. Sorry about your hubs. Old al takes so much from us. I hope you work it out to where you feel better.
              Hang on Neddy. Life becomes so much better when you aren't constantly fighting yourself.
              G-man. Just do your best. Friend. :band2:

I love you all. Have a wonderful af weekend.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello friends,

Tess, thinking of you and your family.

Halo, outstanding job on your night out. Thanks for posting your "recipe" here. I agree with you that you have to really dive into AF life with no reservations, no holding onto the idea that a drink would be nice. We can get ourselves into that space where the gratitude is and really relish our experiences. Great job!

Friends, don't let the thought of a drink creep into your head for a second this Friday. ANYTHING would be a better use of our time. We might have to get through a tough spot but it is always rewarding not to give in.

Have a great AF night
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

If any of you are thinking about a "nice" drink on a hot day let me tell you about my best friend tonight. This lady and I were drinking partners until I gave up, she is insistent she hasn't a problem, however, she'd spend the day on a team building exercise with the large international company for whom she works. This was held in a pub.

When I was working for this company lik her I'd have been delighted to go along for the day, great fun and interesting but most importantly it was in a pub, with free wine. She arrived at 11am this morning, she sent me a text whilst travelling to the venue. At 9pm I got an anguished call on my mobile, couldn't tell who it was but the caller ID told me it was her. She was helplessly drunk and had obviously been put/helped/collapsed at the side of the pub. When I found her she was propped up against a wall, couldn't even stand, had peed her pants and was barely coherent.

I learnt I can't lift a 13 stone woman alone, as I helped her up she collapsed in a heap badly grazing her hands, arms and lower legs. I had to manouevre the car right up to (by now I was worried I might run over her as she wouldn't keep still). Eventually, between us I got her inside the vehicle and took her home.

I was horrified, not at her condition but by the realisation that only 8 months ago I'd have probably been in a worse state than her.

Dealing with someone else in that condition now is a real eye-opener to what my partner and children tolerated for years and I feel very ashamed.

My friend is going to a wedding tomorrow, she's bought herself lovely new clothes but will have her day ruined by the not inconsiderable injuries she suffered tonight, she will also be hungover and feeling rough,

Arriving home I felt incredibly sad, for her and her family and mortified knowing I have treat my own loved ones in a similar way.

So if tomorrow, when the sun's shining you fancy a glass of something cold and full of poison, give a thought to where that glass took my friend today and where it will inevitably take her tomorrow. Its one of the biggest motivators for me now - never, ever wanting to end up in that state again.
                  AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello everyone
                    felt like a drink last night but thought wasn't worth it
                    don't want to go back to day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

spiderwoman - I don't want to monopolize The Nest, but I am so touched by your story that I have to jump in here for a moment. You have just exposed alcohol's true colors. Thank you!! It is a good reminder for all of us. This evening I will be working on the dozen or so rose bushes in my front yard rather than crawling to bed, only stopping to puke along the way. I, too, am terribly ashamed at what I put Hubs through and the indignity with which I treated myself. Alcohol is a liar and a devious little SOB. Your friend is damn lucky that she is not hanging out in a jail cell or the morgue.

I will be back later for goodnight hugs. ~

The man pulling radishes
                      pointed the way
                      with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Spiderwoman for sharing that story.
                        I thought long and hard about having a drink today while simultaneously thinking "I am batshit crazy to even consider it" but I thought it anyway. I am glad it passed and I am still safely sober.
                        Day 1 again 11/5/19
                        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gosh, Spider....that story really did hit a nerve. I have been that person.....it is shameful state. I hope that she will take your lead and get herself out of this hole....Just like Sam said this morning, I get up in the morning thanking my lucky stars I am waking up clean and sober. Stay strong, nesters...a little struggle won't kill us, but AL is out to do just that. Hugs, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, that was a quite a scare Spider - hope your friend is OK but sounds like she's going to have one hell of a hangover. Great that you were there for her

Just had a brief T storm but it didn't help break the heat or humidity, ugh. it was 100 degrees inside the chicken house this afternoon, I gave them 20 pounds of ice to cool them off.

I hope everyone is tucked in for a safe night in the nest. Keep your promise & just don't drink & you'll be OK.

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Alrighty, I have TLCd the roses and am going to settle in for the evening. I just started reading Schindler's List, and I can only deal with a few pages at a time. Sure does a lot to amp up my perspective though. My life seems like one beautiful walk in the park with endless ice cream cones compared to the hell those dear people endured. I haven't seen the movie. I don't like to see a movie like that until I've read the book.

Stay safe, Fellow Fledglings. Don't let the bottle seduce you. It's just not worth it.

Sweet dreams, All ~

The man pulling radishes
                              pointed the way
                              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey there nesters! It's the weekend which can bring many temptations. Plan it out and you'll be fine. I was petrified the first time I had to attend a social event AF. The second was a little easier, by the third I was a pro. I haven't forgotten though, the best advice I got and will share is to plan ahead. Choose what you will drink, choose what you will say when people ask why you're not drinking. Don't be afraid to say it out loud. You don't drink any more.

I'm working all weekend, my days off are Monday to Wednesday. It kind of sucks because no one else is off, but on the other hand it is nice having the time to myself. I like that the "weekend" isn't a time to let go and let loose, which really means a write off for the next day. I like that I can enjoy the cool summer evenings on the deck with a rose hip hibiscus ice tea and some quiet music playing while I read a book. I like that every hour of the day is rewarding and fulfilling and that if I sleep in it's because I feel like it, not because I am too stunned to wake up.

Here's to weekends AF, and all that they bring!
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X