Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Great posts today....I even made a few notes. I keep some index cards in my wallet with the words of wisdom you share.

Not a thought of al today until I walked out of work today. It was more a feeling. A full week of work down....don't I deserve a reward? A reward for what.....being a responsible adult all week? Actually doing the job I am paid to do? The silliness of it. It wasn't very strong, but still there.

Came home and took the kids to a party the community was having at the pool....an AF one. Then a gal called me to come pick up something from me. I shudder to think.....in the past I most likely would have had a few before the party....went there being the only person smelling of booze. Come home to drink myself silly. And no way would anyone be welcome at my house to pick anything up.

Grateful to be sober.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks spiderwoman that story definitely helped put al into perspective for me.
      June you are really getting this af thing down. Good for you.
      Nite all.
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sunflower glad you had a great pool party.
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Spiderwoman, thank you for posting. I hope your friend is okay. My friend was drunk last week and broke her leg in two places after falling. Nothing glamorous or enjoyable about either scenario., and it just shows you that if you are under the influence anything can happen. No one sets out to get off their faces but it happens and these are the results. Stay safe this weekend nesters :l
          Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Spiderwoman that could so have been me, a mate picked me up once from the middle of a side road. And I actually crashed for the night in a stony river, that god it was only 2" deep but when it rains it can be 3 feet deep, WTF am I like.

Day 7 and more determined than EVER.......
            It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Early but I'm up

CONGRATS on 7 AF days Lasha! Feels pretty good & do whatever you need to do to protect your quit

Still dealing with extremely hot & humid weather around my portion of the nest so I'll likely find another indoor project to keep me out of trouble today.

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone,

T-storm on the horizon today, maybe it will cool things down today.

Hubs seems to be over his "spell" or what ever I think he is trending toward bipolarism. As long as it does not last long I can handle it.

Hope everyone has a great day, stay cool or warm, depending where you are, and stay AF.

Hugs to all
                JDG
                Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, my Friday was interesting. I have been tending bar one night a week since April. I liked the extra money. Well, last week was the day I showed up after some drinks and got sent home. I showed up to work last night since i hadn't heard different from anyone only to be told I no longer work there. The owner's sister was so nice about it since she's known me for so long. I handled it like an adult and the whole time thinking "How foolish of me to not think there are consequences for my actions." The fact is: there are consequences. I was quite honest with her and told her "I made the decision to have those drinks before work. I have to live with the outcome"

But in a way, I'm not upset. Working in a bar was not conducive to me being sober.

I am angry at myself since even though I have struggled with my drinking, I had some rules in place:

1. No drinks before class
                  2. No drinks before working
                  3. No alcohol in the house when my girls were here

And last Friday, I wanted a drink so badly after not drinking for a week that i didn't care about the outcome, I only cared about a drink.

So Monday, I attempt to find another part-time job, which will be difficult since I am back in classes in 5 weeks and will be taking 7 classes.

But still sober. I'm starting to have much more restful sleep, which is great. I'm also getting on a schedule and waking up every morning at 6:30. I am also taking my vitamins and started L-Glut yesterday. I'm taking 2-1000mg tablets 2xs a day.

So, here I am, a few days before turning 37 and attempting to finally be a grown-up.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday. My daughter is having a lemonade stand today and I am going to do some work for my boss. Yippee.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Saturday Morning Nesters!!

It feels great to be sober this morning and ALL mornings!! I've been up early cooking meals to take to my parents' home. My dogs have been "helping" me - LOL. :dog::dog: I will be staying there this weekend so will be mostly out of The Nest. But I will be thinking of all of you.

There's already a lot of great stuff going on in The Nest this morning. This is the best place to start the day - IMHO. :woot:

Have a fabulous alcohol-free weekend, Everyone. There are countless other very cool things to do other than pour poison down our throats and then act like fools. We All deserve so much better
                    than that!!

Hugs All Around ~ :groupluv:
                    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                    pointed the way
                    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Mooning.

Lasha!!! Around here, achievement gets you prizes! On behalf of the whole nest, may I be the first to present this FULL MOON!

:moon:

For kicking AL Arse for 7 FULL days!!!! For NOT showing yours! And for conquering every single day that a week can throw at you. WELL DONE! You will never regret being sober!!! Here's to many moons more!!

Hope everyone is gearing up for a relaxing day! So good to seeing everyone checking in. Like Tess says, this is how I start my day off and end it, and I can't think of a better way to do both! Stay strong! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations, Lasha! Now there is not one day of the week that you haven't been victorious! Now just do it again .

MissyShelle, I'm sorry you lost your job but as you pointed out, it may be a blessing in disguise. You seem to have a lot on your plate - there clearly is no room for AL.

JDG, I'm sorry your husband is being so volatile. You should be treated like the lovely, strong woman you are consistently. I hope at some point he can find it in him to deal with his issues.

Broken (but getting repaired!) Halo and Spiderwoman,
                        Thanks for sharing those sad, cautionary tales about your friends. I'm so glad they weren't recent stories about you. Just as we can learn from the people ahead of us on this AF path, we should be reminded about where we've been, even though it is painful, to ensure we don't go back. We also can serve as examples to those around us. I've noticed several people drinking less or not at all when they are with me (and I was not the leader in that area). A couple have mentioned that they are cutting back in general (not just when they are with me). This is a really pervasive problem - people here are among the small proportion that have admitted it to themselves, I think.

Tess, SF, LB, Lav, and Byrdie - thanks for visiting the nest each day - a sense of stability is really nice, especially when so many things are unsettled.

Have a fabulous AF weekend, everyone!
                        :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

No Sugar,

Thank you for those kind words. I needed to hear that today to remind me I am worth it. Even if He does not always act like it. He has been better today and I will enjoy it as long as it lasts, relishing every moment for the strength when next time comes.

Thank you again, everyone here is so supportive and encouraging of each other it is a shame more people don't join us.

Off to the POOL for some ME time, Chores done, work begins tomorrow.

Check in afterwhile
                          JDG
                          Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Saturday friends,

Missy, I think you are wise to see the loss of that job for the blessing in disguise that it is. I wouldn't want to be around that scene either.

Spiderwoman, thanks for the story! That must have been truly horrifying to watch! I'm really glad you posted that, it shows alcohol for the lie that it is. When those sneaky thoughts creep in we picture sitting outside smiling in the warm breeze, but that is just a lie so that monster can get a real drunk on!

Lasha congratulations on your 7 days!

I hope everyone has a great AF afternoon!
                            "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                            AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone.
                              I am sitting here thankful for having a clear head this mourning. It is nice to have friends when you need them. Have a great af day all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, feeling a bit vulnerable today for the first time on my journey to af freedom.
                                No one is about tonight to do anything. Friends are either away or with girlfriends. Brothers are all out. Guess you could say I'm feeling a bit lonely tonight.

It is these sorts of nights that really test me. Could easily have a few beers to'chill', which really means to numb my emotion.

Staying strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X