Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Just wanted to stop in the nest and say hi. Day 3 for me and I'm working hard toward another 30 days and beyond. I learned a valuable lesson during the past month and although I'm frustrated I'm glad I learned some new things that should help this time around. I'm always blown away by the love and support that this community gives to one another. You guys are the best!
    Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
    [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

JDG, I just want to say congratulations to you for your 30 days. What an achievement! You sound fantastic and I like how you said you love AF life.
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

JackDanielsGirl;1536619 wrote: .... I love AF life, don't love the things going on .... JDG
        Dear JDG,

I'm so very happy to hear from you!! I'm also immensely proud that you have not turned to the bottle. You are brilliant!!

What I do sometimes when things get really rough is use my imagination to get me through. My imagination is based in reality, created from previous REAL life experiences, and is a healthy way to cope.

So... if you like, we can go camping at the coast this evening. Or tomorrow evening if you're already tucked-in for the night.

My kind of camping is one night only -- because I want a hot shower the next day and to sleep in my bed the next night. By all standards, I'm a wimpy camper. However, I do have my strengths. I am very organized. I arrive early to the campsite, get one of the best spots, pitch my tent, do a bit of interior decorating to include comfy mattresses and plush sleeping bags. No bugs or flying insects allowed!! Oh, and I spray Lavender linen spray about -- you know, just to keep things fresh.

Then I set about to prepare for an awesome campfire. I bring chunks of wood and (believe it or not) I can cut kindling with the best of 'em. Never underestimate the power of a gal that wants to stay warm!! Give me a hatchet and I am unstoppable!! Of course, I always bring fixins' for S'mores (chocolate, graham crakers, and marshmallows). Alrighty, the campsite is ready.

Now, we go to the beach for the evening. Of course we are close to the beach!! I wouldn't have it any other way!! I take my kindling and when the sun sets (well, just a tad prior) make a beach fire. So there we are, JDG, sitting on the beach, listening to the waves crash, kept toasty by our fire. We talk for a couple of hours, as gals are inclined to do. We don't care about any problems that we may have. We will get back to those tomorrow.

When we are sleepy we head back to camp. Once snuggled in (after S'mores, of course) we talk some more. Nothing is off limits except for bashing. No guy-bashing or ex-friend-bashing or MIL-bashing. No, we keep it clean. And we laugh and maybe cry and fall asleep beneath the stars.

Next morning, we disassemble our camp and head to the local cafe for fresh coffee and a yummy breakfast. I don't cook over a campfire. Sorry. Hate the smoke. We look like hell: bed head, crusty, rumpled clothes. But hey, we don't care cuz we're having fun (and heading home soon for that hot shower). We get any talking done that we may have missed the night before. We fill our bellies with hot coffee and delicious food. We laugh and joke and makes plans for our next get-away.

This is what I do with my friends, JDG. But tonight (or tomorrow night) it's you and me.

You inspire me!! Stay strong!! You are loved!!
        Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
        pointed the way
        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening everyone. I am still struggling with this smartphone posting thing. Second attempt.
          Oh one day maybe I will have a pc again.
          Neddy glad you are doing so well. I.am imagining you looking very snappy in your new clothes. I enjoy my own company a lot. Nothing wrong with that.
          Jdgirl :wave: yea 30 days.
          Also I'm sorry your hubby is giving you grief over your past mistakes. Keep up the good work. Remember you know your own worth and don't let anyone take that from you.
          You too Scarlett. Get all al out of your house a fight for your life. You have friends here to help you.
          Tess posts are always inspirational and this one on companionship is very fitting for this situation. Thanks Tess for that.
          Noodle and Miley. Keep up the good work. 3 days and you are both going strong.
          Sam I am a little envious of your chickens! I'm glad you are doing so good. I agree with you about mwo. There is something for everyone who really wants to look for it on this site.
          Byrdie I am so glad that we can count on you to give up some words of encouragement each day. I always look forward to what you have to say. I often repeat it go myself as needed.
          Pauly go for it. Or learn something new like a language. Sometimes just changing your routine can brighten your attitude.
          Snap I totally sympathize with you over this accident . I was t-boned when someone ran a red light 3 years ago. No settlement because I was not there to give a statement and someone else lied. I was in a helicopter. I have had to let it go. I hope it goes better for you. But please don't let that derail you from your af goal. We are here with you.
          Patrick we are here if you need us.
          Bcp congratulations on your new career. I am glad you are doing something so wonderful for yourself.
          I sincerely hope I got everyone. If not send me a pm. We can talk that way
          have a great one everyone.:dog::dog:
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Another busy day around here!!!!
            Glad to see everyone doing well & moving forward

JDG, I'm sorry about your kids & your husband's shitty attitude. Life will continue to rain on our parades but it's how we choose to handle ourselves that makes the difference. You did great today but not letting AL become an option! Drinking never, ever helps anything & once we truly learn that we regain control of our lives. I hope everything works out for you - I believe it will Congrats on your 30 AF days!

Greetings to everyone & sending wishes for a safe night in the nest for all!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Neddy Merrill;1536567 wrote: Yes I did BH. Some new jeans, a couple of suits for work, new training shoes - the works! I actually went through to Edinburgh for the day and took a guided tour bus round the city. It's amazing that it's only an hour away yet it's so much different from our neck of the woods. Didn't even feel the need to go for a drink. I went for a nice Italian meal instead washed down with sparkling water and do you know what? It was fantastic! I really don't mind my own company, it's just that I used to not mind it with at least three bottles of wine. It wasn't like that today I'm glad to report.
              Good for you, my Nest Friend, good for you!!

The man pulling radishes
              pointed the way
              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goodnight, Lav!! :heart:

The man pulling radishes
                pointed the way
                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow busy day in the nest! It's tough to keep up, I just got home from a fairly uneventful afternoon shift. We're having perfect weather these days, the humidity is gone and it's like 26 degrees (I think that's around 80F), sunny, perfect weather. Lovely cool evenings, it's nice to turn off the AC for a couple of days!

JDG first off congratulations!! 30 days is a huge accomplishment. Your family might have a hard time understanding that, but hopefully in time you can win back their trust and they will believe you are in this for the long haul. Sorry your kids are making you crazy, I hope you can get them to see what the consequences are of selling narcotics. Maybe a trip to the local Police Station would shake them up? Nice work not grabbing a drink, you know you can handle this a lot better if you're alert, engaged and aware.

Neddy your mouse is likely tired of all the posts! New batteries required because I think you're here for a while, right? Looking good in your new threads! I like how you're learning to enjoy your own company, I feel that way too these days!

Byrdie sorry all the nutters are out at work! But I am sure you bit your tongue and were the epitome of politeness!! That Patrick was so sweet in his farewell post, seems like you have saved many souls, mine as well!

Tess, I wanna go camping too wahhhh

little beagle you were in a helicopter accident? Did I read that right? Or is it your smart phone making up fibs?

Nursie, No Sugar, noodle, Scarlett, Miley, pinecone, pauly, Lav, snap, Sam, miley, bcp who have I missed? Good to see you posting and sticking with it. One day at a time. They add up and next thing you know AL isn't even a remote possibility in your life.
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

morning nesters

didn't sleep so well last night - woke up & couldn't get back off, so I thought I'd check in early today

3J - I think LB was probably in an air ambulance helicopter after a car crash. not a helicopter crash

JDG - sorry to hear about the trouble with your kids. hope you manage to sort it out - well done for not picking up a drink!

I have some stuff to keep me occupied today, but I'm not really looking forward to this evening. friday night is definitely the witchiest witching hour of the week for me. since I relapsed four years ago I generally managed to do a day or two mid-week AF (before I went totally off the rails over the last few months), but never, ever a fri/sat/sun night. I have some L-glut that I haven't tried yet, so I might see if that helps

on the other hand, what's so terrible about an AF evening? I've had four perfectly pleasant ones this week, so what's the big deal just because it's friday? duh - stupid ALK thinking

anyway, hope everyone has a great AF day

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nest! Ye missed me 3J! But that's okay, it is hard to keep up with such a busy and productive Nest!

Tess, I wanna go camping too! You made it sound fun, and I hate camping!

Well it is Friday morning, another week coming to an end. We had some crazy thunder and torrential rain yesterday. More rain forecast today

LB, my laptop had to go in for repair a few weeks ago. It was murder trying to do everything on the iphone but I would have been lost without it. Maybe the money you would normally spend on AL can go towards a new PC?

Noodle, enjoy cooking your soup and bread, your house is going to smell amazing. Good morning Lav, Byrdie. The message from Patrick brought a tear to my eye when I read it, you ladies have helped so many people in such a huge way. You should be very proud of yourselves.

So day 21 and I am back on dayshift for the next two weeks. That means longer evenings so I am going to have to rethink my strategy for that. I plan on going straight to the gym today after work for a start, get those endorphins flowing! I am also going to sort out some good reading. I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe and AL free Friday. SD, it is only another day!
                      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi 3June and Broken Halo,

You can come camping, too!! That's what's so fab about using our imaginations. Just about anything is possible (but I find it needs to be based on REAL prior experiences to work). I always hated camping -- a lot. So in real life, I had to develop a strategy to make it fun for ME. Basic comfort and keeping it to ONE night are key. Two nights of camping compares with a bad case of the flu, IMHO!! :yukko:

Stay strong, ladies. We are in this for the long-haul. ~

The man pulling radishes
                        pointed the way
                        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning nesters,

LB I appreciate where you are coming from - my electronic mouse is playing up. My PC has a smart touch facility but I think the clue is in the name: I'm not smart enough to use it properly.

Patrick's message was emotional but hugely positive too I thought. Ladies you are a blessing to everyone who confides in you. Keep up the good work.

Have a good day/night and I'll check in again later.

NM
                          "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess your rules for camping are funny. I also like a park where a shower is available. Especially if staying more then one night.
                            No 3J. It was a bad car accident.
                            Sd I understand The Friday night thing. Keeping yourself bust the first week or two is key. I did a job my first Friday. And made Jelly the next day. Just plan to clean out closets or something very labor intensive if you can't think of anything else. Also remember to Read and post first. I spend a lot more time here on the weekends. It is immensely helpful to me.
                            Bhalo glad you are hanging in there.
                            Steady hope you will check in soon. We have a big day!
                            I am going shopping for my 90 day present tomorrow. Not sure yet. Maybe new dishes to replace all broken while drinking. Bahaha.
                            Have a good one all.
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Just stopping in to wish everyone a terrific AF Friday & remind everyone to dust off their plans for the weekend. What's everyone going to do instead of drinking?
                              I have quite a long to do list myself so I'll be too busy to misbehave :H

Have a great day everyone!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning nesters!

SDA I can't use your handle - I really want to hear your plan for this weekend. Hope isn't good enough, you need more than that to get through this. First, there's no AL in the house, right? And you have no plans to see others in a drinking environment? What will you do tonight? Tomorrow? Sunday? Details, we need a detailed plan.

Beagle ah of course, that sounds serious, scary too. I didn't mean to poke fun just might have been late and full of chocolate. ( I can't blame drunk texting thankfully!)

BH you sound like your day shift will be productive. I also work shifts, my day shifts start really early (530 am) so evenings are hard because I'm so tired. Good on you for thinking about of how to make it work.

Lav those kids will keep you young! Thanks for stopping by, you're always there and we feel your strength.

Tess I love camping! We have a little pop up tent trailer which has made it all the better! One day I might have to do a MWO road trip!

Well I know this will be an AF weekend for me, nothing could make me lose my resolve. Now and again my flirty mind goes off thinking " just one, now that I feel so good and I have it all under control" but my determined mind says "$&@-? Off"
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X