Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

little beagle;1536781 wrote: Tess your rules for camping are funny...
    Morning Lil' Beagle,

It's not just the camping that I'm funny about. It's any traveling. I am such a home body!! For me, there truly is no place like home!! I think that you and Neddy have mentioned the ability to enjoy your own company. I too enjoy solitude. So... a day alone at home is paradise!! :catroll: During my reading this morning I found this:

Society depends for its existence on the inviolable personal solitude of its members. Society, to merit its name, must be made up not of numbers, or of mechanical units, but of persons. To be a person implies responsibility and freedom, and both these imply a certain interior solitude, a sense of personal integrity, a sense of one's own reality and of one's ability to give himself to society. -- Thomas Merton

I was in the process of developing "a sense of one's own reality and of one's ability to give himself to society" when I started drinking at about 22 years of age. That development came to a screeching halt as daily intoxication took over. My life was "the same day over and over" for five long years, as one of our Nestmates says of addiction. Now that I've been sober for about six months, it seems that my brain is functioning again and my personality is once again developing. Observing myself right now is somewhat like watching a small child grow so quickly.

I hope this is a great day for you, Lil' Beagle. I'll talk with you later. ~
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow Tess I love your thoughts. I too enjoy my alone time. I always chalked it up to being one of nine kids, needing the peace and quiet. Enjoying your company is about loving yourself. The more we love ourselves the more we can love others. Also the more we love and respect our bodies the less we are likely to poison ourselves. Thanks for waking up the philosopher in us all.
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters

I haven't posted for a while but I do read everyone's posts EVERYDAY.
        I wouldn't be on day 29 without the support of this site.EVERYDAY is my day 1, I think how awful my day ones have been,guilty,ashamed broke.
        I live everyday with the knowledge that the ' little devil' on my shoulder will try and persuade me to have 'just one' ...but we all know that one ends up back to Day one .
        Have a great AF Friday everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!! GREAT to see everyone! Caz! 29 days, be sure to check in tomorrow to claim your big prize!!! I am so proud to see us all putting distance between us and AL!!
          Tess, as long as we are using our imaginations, may I have a luxury camper like the rock stars use for their road trips? I'm nothing without a decent toilet.
          I hope everyone is ready for the weekend, I know I am. I used to dread them (what to do with all that spare time?) but now they just fly by.
          I came from a family of 5 and I am the baby...so I find I like to be around people instead of my own company . I guess I like being part of a group?! I have traveled a good bit for work and the road is a lonely place, so I like being around others...oh, well...yet again, the odd ball. What can I say? I'm quirky!
          3J's is so right, HOPE is not a strategy....firm up your plans and try to have all the bases covered to get thru the Battle of Friday Evening! Battle stations....have NO mercy on the enemy! (he has NO mercy on us, after all). Dig in your heels and do NOT give in no matter what and no matter who!!! Booooya! We got this! Happy Friday everyone!!! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

3June - I'm one of a tribe, too. Thanks for your kind words. Always happy to wake up the philosopher in people!! :H

Caz - Great to hear from you!! Yes, the "little devil" on the shoulder certainly does try to persuade us into just one drink. I use just one word to reply: NO. :teeter:

Byrdie - You are NOT the oddball in society because you like to be around people. Seriously!! Loners and introverts are the oddballs. We make extroverts nervous. "People who need people" just don't get us. You can't imagine how many times I have wished that I were an extrovert. It looks like so much fun!! But alas, I am who I am... :see:

The man pulling radishes
            pointed the way
            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning, all you lovely people.

JDG great work on 31 days! Keep powering through your family trials and stand strong, sounds like your children need to see that strength in you for something to look up to. Hopefully, they start to make good choices. They're lucky to have such good parents that will actually sit down and do a family meeting instead of ignoring the problem.

Caz great work on 29!

I'm on day 7 myself...my urges to drink aren't as bad as they usually are around this time. I haven't even jokingly asked the fiance to stop to go for a drink. Probably b/c the events that transpired from this last bender, I can't really joke about it anymore. At least not yet, anyways. But I'm also filled with a lot of hope and optimism this round. You all here in MWO have certainly helped bring those lovely feelings out of me. I check here frequently and it's a good reminder through out the day.

In response to you introverts...I admire your comfort you find being alone. I'm quite the extrovert but I'm also a stay at home "house frau" in a very small town in the middle of nowhere with no car to go explore. My only friends during the day (except when the kids are here) is my garden and my pooch. I seriously TALK to my flowers and veggies and curse at the choke weeds! That's how badly I need interaction...but once it's time for us to go visit with people...I just don't want to go, I feel uncomfortable. It's so odd. It's as though I lost all social skills and can only find it when I'm drinking. But then again when I'm drinking I like being alone just as well.

I hope everyone has a lovely AF day!
              ?If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.? - Eckhart Tolle

To contact me, please msg me here:
              mandiekinz@baclofenforalcoholism.com
              Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternnon everyone, I hope you are all having a super AF Friday.

My plans at the moment are running something like this:

Tonight - cooking a curry and watching TV

Tomorrow - hillwalking if weather permits/cinema if it doesn't

Sunday - decorating

I will of course check in here as often as I can and see how my fellow nesters are doing.

NM
                "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mandiekinz,

It is with great honor that we bestow the 7 Days Alcohol-Free award to you:

:moon:

We in The Nest understand the hard work and determination that it takes to say NO to alcohol during the first week of sobriety. Nice work!! Very cool!!

May you cherish this award as much as we cherish you!!!

The man pulling radishes
                  pointed the way
                  with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mandiekinz,

Congrats on seven AF days. It's a great achievement and a great foundation to go on with your AF life.

NM
                    "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesties!

Wow...I have missed you guys. Welcome to all the Newbies! You've found a great place to be..stick close and let us help you!

Well...update on me...back to work, slowly adjusting to it. Tomorrow I am adopting a new dog from a Cocker Spaniel Rescue Organization and I am so excited!!! My mental status has improved greatly, not nearly so down in the dumps. Still trying to come to terms with the loss of my dear doggie 2 weeks ago, but am now ready to shower another needy dog with love :h

I will try to catch up around here, I have missed you all so much! Everyone have a great weekend :l
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi K9 and so glad to see you're back. I had a cocker spaniel too that passed in 2007, just love that breed, they are so sweet and loving (mine was a little bitchy too, but oh well). Now we have a huge german shepherd that she raised when he was a pup, she dominated him and he is a pussycat, all 112 lbs. of him.

There's a lucky cocker out there just waiting for you, that puppy will be winning the puppy lottery in getting you for a mommy. Have fun.
                        "A good garden may have some weeds"
                        Thomas Fuller

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Gardner! My new doggie is about 2 years old and the lady that runs the organization hand picked him for me (taking into consideration my current situation, broken foot, recent loss of dog, recently returning to work...etc etc)...she says this little guy loves to snuggle and is a "mama's boy".....that is just what I need right now! I cannot wait! He's gonna be my best buddy, I can just feel it! :l
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Haha, thanks Tess! Nothing like enjoying a cup of coffee and getting mooned by an emoticon! Thank you Neddy!

Sorry about your pooch, K9 glad you found a new lil 4-legged bundle of joy!
                            ?If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.? - Eckhart Tolle

To contact me, please msg me here:
                            mandiekinz@baclofenforalcoholism.com
                            Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey k-9 - So happy to see you!! You've been through a very rough patch. It's so painful to lose a much-loved pet. And that sadness was on the heels of being stuck home forever with an injury. Glad to hear that you are able to get up and out and about a bit. And I'm super excited to think of you bringing home you new best buddy!! Have you chosen a name? Or maybe he will be like Will and Kate's baby prince: he's gonna have to wait a while for his proper name!! :naked: (this kind of looks like a pup, doesn't it??) Welcome back!!

The man pulling radishes
                              pointed the way
                              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Byrdlady,

You're right I'm on day 13 AF and sleeping better, don't even feel like a drink much, go out for pub lunches regularly and seeing others drinking doesn't bother me WOW. Have never had so much energy in my life, you should see my house completely redecorated.

Lash
                                It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

Working...
                                X