Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Tess-2;1538559 wrote: Hello All - A friend drove me to the doctor as I wasn't too sure about my driving skills with a fever and all. Turns out I have strep throat. This is my second bout in a year, which I'm told is a bit unusual. I asked for a penicillin injection (ouch!) rather than 10 days of swallowing "horse" pills with a sore throat. I'd rather have one moment of discomfort and then recover quickly. So I'm off to sack out on the sofa and watch TV and/or read books. I'm looking forward to catching up with posts since Monday evening. If there are any newcomers, Welcome!! And to all of my Nest Friends, old and new, stay strong and be good to yourselves!! The difficulties of achieving and maintaining sobriety pale in comparison to the misery of compulsive drinking. I enjoy coffee but it's gonna be hot tea and lemon for a few days...:cupajoe:

I edited this to say hot tea and HONEY. Lemon would sting, ouch! ouch!!
    Look after yourself, Tess. I hope you get back to full strength soon.
    "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow I'm away a day and look at all the catching up I need to do! Fabulous to see everyone posting and supporting each other. that's what it's all about eh? (insert Canadian accent here)

I'll start at the bottom and hope I don't miss anyone. I apologize in advance if I do!

broken halo, sounds like a good day all around! Good for you making it to the gym after work, I never have the energy for that. One good thing about shift work is some shifts mean you have your down time at the beginning of the day which works for me because that's when I have the most energy.

Tess, strepthroat oh what a drag. I think our bodies sometimes force us into resting, what do you think? Your world has been pretty stressful lately, and it seems like sometimes stress manifests itself physically. Hot tea and lemon and some quiet time might be just what you need. Still, I hope you're on the mend fast.

Neddy, when I read about your daughter looking at you with such different eyes I thought yep that's why it's all worth it. So sweet that she and you are renewing your relationship. PS I say go for that signature line!!

Elvis opening up to your wife was brave, and I am betting it will be what makes the difference in your quit. Good for you getting rid of the temptations. My husband never drank, he has no idea what i went through to get AF but that's ok, I know, and that's what counts!

miley good on you for having a plan to get through your witching hour, and wow the gym at 5:30? Good on you!

JDG I don't think it's a fluke, I think the universe unfolds exactly the way it is meant to. You needed it, you put it out there, you got it. Fabulous!!

Sunflower I was out last night at friends who offered me drinks. I said I quit because it really isn't doing me any good any more! I know they're afraid I won't be fun now, but we had a good time and they didn't bother drinking either.

Cocoflo, it's hard but it's worth it. Believe me we all struggle. But it's worth it!

Padraig, welcome, love your little leprechaun!

Some DA sounds like you are a definite asset, one offer and a second interview. What's your hobby BTW?

Honeysoup so that means you're on day 4? Congratulations! Don't dwell on the past, let's concentrate on right now.

Big shout out to guitarista, pinecone, byrdie, little beagle, lavande, Mr Vervill, Scarlett, and any nesters I've missed. Here's to you all (I am toasting you with a glass of rose hip hibiscus ice tea!)
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just getting my internet back after being offline ALL day! Can you imagine ME without a means to talk???? Well, there's the phone, I guess....I'm out of practice on there now. It really makes you think how much you depend on these computers when your connection is lost!
        So good to see you Tess...I'm so sorry you are ailing. Take care of yourself and treat yourself well....we are thinking of you!
        Everyone else sounds great! Off to help my niece move tomorrow, jealous? It will either be 95* or raining, not sure which I'm hoping for....I may not get to post, but I will be able to read thru out the day. This place is a cornerstone to my sobriety...and after a day of being with my family, I will need all the support I can get!! Did I mention my family is NUTS??!!! Hugs to all, buckle up! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just went to the supermarket and got a bunch of Alcohol to keep for guests. I figured I have had a bottle of wine sitting on my counter for the past 11 months and I am still sober, so this will not make a difference. Want to be a good host which means providing booze for my guests. No temptation whatsoever. Looking forward to celebrating 1 year sober in a months time

Allan
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi there, everyone,

I'm going to have an early night - it's just coming up for 10pm here in bonnie Scotland. All this exercise, getting up early to go running is making me tired. Tired in a good way though, not that lethargic, horrible, I-can't-be-bothered-with-this.

Anyway sweet dreams to those on my side of the world and have a great day/evening to those in different time zones.

See you all tomorrow.
            "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

So... I'm bored with TV (not unusual) and discontent with books (very unusual). I'm on the sofa with my tablet. Hubs called to tell me to get my arse in bed. I promised him that I would in 20 minutes. And a promise is a promise. But hey! I have 20 minutes!! :happy:

3 June, I'm starting at the bottom of the posts, too. As you know, The Nest moves very quickly. But I like that. You get it: A lot of people sharing their stories and marching together toward freedom from alcohol. Way cool!! Yes, I totally agree that our bodies have an encoded wisdom. When we NEED to rest, but are non-compliant, our miraculous bodies can send a message that is difficult to miss... uchy:

Neddy - So amazingly proud of you, Mr (almost) PhD!! In my mind, you have earned your PhD in the field of "pick oneself up and keep moving forward." AND you encourage others along the way. AND you are charming, which earns bonus points!!

Broken Halo - I'd have to say that your halo is just about mended now!! :wings: You are on the fast track to a productive and happy (mostly) life, which does not include the need or desire get drunk. Awesome!!

Sam - Have you moved your chickens to their new dwelling? :chick: BTW, I didn't think that you were implying that I was an expert on alcoholism or anything. It's always a delight to hear from you. Like you said (my paraphrase), we don't need to fuss too much about the "why" of alcoholism. It comes down to choosing to live without it. Pretty simple, really. Not always easy. But not necessarily quantum physics. It boils down to one little decision: :stop:

So... as I said, a promise is a promise. It's been 20 minutes. (I used part of the time for a potty break. Drinking lots of water and tea...)

Fellow Nesters, hugs all around!! Marching on to freedom!! :woot:
              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
              pointed the way
              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Night night Neddy. (ha spell check wants to call you needy but I fought it)

Allan Kay, interesting. I have decided mine is an alcohol free home. Visitors will have to drink elsewhere! Maybe that will change in time, but honestly I don't think I want to contribute to the cause!
                Newbies Nest
                Toolbox
                My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allankay, I wish there were a prize for 11 months sober, but alas...WHAT? There is??
                  Hold please......(running off to the prize closet)

:gramps:

You are now officially an Old Timer!!! Gosh, I'm so proud of you!! That means Kuya is 11 months also...she still can't log in....I sent another message to the forum moderators asking them to please check it again. I miss her something awful. I miss you, too, you toad, you should check in more!! I know, you are busy with the new job and all!!! Above all...we are so proud of you!!! You came, you saw, you conquered!

GREAT JOB!!!!!

Tess, get in that bed and rest!!! Don't make me come over there!!! xxoo
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

3J, I prefer to exercise in the morning too, but I work a rotational shift and this week its evenings or nothing, so it's evenings! I am loving getting back to full fitness again, it's really helped me.

Tess, as hubby says, get yer arse to bed. Your twenty minutes is up and you need your rest!:l

Byrdie, good luck with the move, we'll miss your posts.!

Goodnight Neddy, sleep well. What's all this about a PhD? I must have missed that. I'll have to trawl for it. Sweet dreams my friend.

Allan, well done on your almost a year! It sounds as though you are indifferent to AL being in the house. That's awesome.

Well Nester's, like Neddy I am also in Scotland it's been a long, busy and enjoyable day so I am also off to bed. Goodnight Nesters, too many wonderful people to name and also to all our newbies, hope you are all settling in!
                    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations on 30 days, Gardener!

I hope you're feeling good in all ways and are eager to continue on -- all the mid-50s, plant-loving, wine-avoiding women here need to stick together!

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie! I talked to Kuya, she is likely to be coming over here in the near future so I am looking forward to meeting her in person.

Halo, it was a little scary buying AL but as I said I have had a bottle of wine in the house staring at me for the past 11 months and I did not cave so if I can handle one why not 10 right? This way I can entertain in the house, rather than going to the pub as people have the need to drink, which I totally understand. I also cut out all the toxic people in my life a long time ago and believe that my circle of friends now reflect my lifestyle more. They only drink 1 maybe 2 glasses of wine when we go out, I cant do that I know. But if it makes them feel better then why not?

It is probably not the choice for everybody but after 11 months I feel I am ready. It is very likely that my future wife will drink (occasionally I hope...) so I need to get used to having AL in the fridge.

Allan
                        AF since 1st Sep 2012
                        NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome to the New Netters. Elvis, Alis , Padrig.
                          Glad you are joining us in this journey. You are in the right place for support.
                          Honey, I am glad you are with us too.
                          Tess take care of yourself. I hate strep. Yuck.
                          Jdgirl glad for the New job. Hope it's less stressful then the last one.
                          3J have a great exercise this evening.
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess, feel better soon! I had strep earlier this year and it developed into a big skin rash called psoriasis guttate... not pretty and lasted months! I SHOULD have taken penicillin, woulda prevented it.

Elvis, I am happy your wife is on board! I wish my hubby was as understanding .

JDG - Congrats on the new job!!

Everybody, happy Wednesday!

I have to be honest... I was almost not gonna post at all, but I need to be truthful. I drank last night. I need to be stronger and stand up to peer pressure! I feel like I took everyone's good wishes to me and poured booze all over them. HOWEVER, I recently started taking L-Glutamine and Kudzu and I only had a couple glasses of wine. Instead of 2 bottles! I felt "almost" like a "normal" person, haha! (yeah, right). So, it sucked, but there was improvement!
                            Onward......
                            How come if alcohol kills millions of brain cells, it never killed the ones that made me want to drink? ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

Scarlett start by being honest with yourself. The rest follows. You drank a couple of glasses rather than a couple of bottles. That's an improvement. I think the best part of being here on MWO is we are accountable. You fessed up, hopefully you've learned from it?
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Logged on. Shh... not a word to Hubs LOL!! Scarlett, our very cool Nest Friend, Hooray for improvement!! And yes, Onward!! That's the attitude. I'm so happy that you checked in with us. WE are here for you!! And hey, with a nasty case of strep my arse kicking abilities are somewhat limited. :H:H Wow!! I don't know what psoriasis guttate is but I sure as heck don't want it. Okay, trying to rest again. I'm not very good at resting... But I get it that I need to let my busted-up body repair. I will see y'all in the morning. ~
                                Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                                pointed the way
                                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Working...
                                X