Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I clicked the wrong button earlier and lost my post. OOPS! So this re-do will have to be late and rushed and won't be as eloquent as I wanted. :H

Day 2 is done and under my belt. I had a pretty good day overall and any minor physical or emotional episodes were expected and dealt with appropriately. It was my first evening home alone this week, as my wife works late several days a week, so I distracted myself with lots of TV and a soak in the Jacuzzi. Woke up physically tired this morning, but that was expected.

I understand the posts about keeping bottles of alcohol in the house that are "off limits". If I didn't buy it myself, I generally didn't drink it. Right now I'm not ready to keep stuff for guests around, but when I am strong enough, I would entertain the idea.

For those whose spouses are not on board, I'm sorry your spouse isn't on board. I looked for some articles or research online on why a spouse would not be supportive, and there was very little out there on the subject. Most addressed the situation the other way around. Perhaps they might be helpful to read though.
    11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone and a warm welcome to all the Newbies!

Jimmy - Of course you are welcome back! I have been away myself for the last month and a half...off and on, because of a series of unfortunate events! This place does move fast so catch up as best you can and stick close.

Hello to all my dear friends here...I have missed you!!

:h:h
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

little beagle;1538799 wrote: Thanks for all the cheerful posts Neddy. You are so cheerful. It makes me start the day with a smile.
        Lav I hope you have a nice day stuck inside in the rain.
        I am starting day 1 of my new diet. Yes I have gained weight while quitting al. But my hubby is going to start taking antabus so maybe the stress will not be so intense. I have been dealing with lots of temptation with food. It works but the weigh has really started to add up.
        Thanks for all your support everyone.
        Welcome to new nesters.
        I will check in later.
        Hope you are feeling better Tess.
        Also hope you are having a good day Byrdie.
        Evening nesters,

Thanks for the kind words LB. I have made so many people miserable it's about time I started making people happy!

Lav - enjoy the grandkids - part of my overall goal is to re-establish myself in the life of my grandkids too.

Tess - glad to hear you are on the road to full strength

Elvis - congrats on day 2. Keep up the good work and keep looking after yourself. You seem to have made a good start.

K9 - good to see you

NS - you always take the time to send lovely messages to people and it shows what a kind-hearted person you are. Thanks for making us all feel so nice.

I'm off to make something to eat now but I'll check back in later.

Bye for now
        "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Chris Herren reaches five year anniversary of sobriety - College Basketball News | FOX Sports on MSN

Click on the link, it's an inspiring story.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all,

I've decided to take the plunge today after "lurking", and studying the site for a very long time.
            I made my decision the alcohol does not have a place in my life after writing down all the bad things that have happened as a result of it. It's shocking, really.

The physical damage I know because I'm a nurse, and just turned 40. It gets worse with every passing year and I can no longer make excuses. Even being around different people and trying to drink, the end result is the same. I can't handle the guilt and shame, the memory loss and the horrible hangovers.
            Moderation has not worked for me over the last year, so that's out.

The final straw is my brand new husband of 6 months filled paperwork to annul our marriage. He said it was how horrible and crazy (temper) I was when I drank, and he could no longer handle it, or me. That was a slap in the face, as many people in my life have tip toed around the subject of me being an alcoholic. I know the answer is to stop, or something even worse is going to happen. I've known it for a long time, and have been in denial.

I love this place. So much love and support. I look forward to getting to know people and becoming an active participant. Thank you to everyone in advance.

Trying to keep a smile, Cyn
            :h Cynthia Lynne (Cyn) :h
            __________________________________________________ ____
            ?One of the most important keys to Success is having the discipline to do what you know you should do, even when you dont feel like doing it.?

AF- 8/1/13
            7 Days- Done 8/7/13 :thumbs:
            14 Days- Done 8/14/13 :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome CynthiaLynne :welcome:!

Sounds like you KNOW you're in the right place. ( A year of lurking would do that :H ! -- Hope you are ok with teasing - there is quite a bit of that in the Nest sometimes ).

Believe me, this can be done! Commit yourself to your new path by committing yourself here - read and post and read and post! Somehow, that will help you actually realize your good intentions and stop breaking the promises to yourself and others that you will stop drinking.

You are ahead of the game since you've already decided to quit instead of moderate. Really, it is so much easier! Once you don't offer yourself a choice, you don't have to waste your time and energy mentally calculating allowed frequency, volume, duration, etc. Hey, you're a non-drinker so you can just move along and drink something else or do something fun.

I am so sorry about the serious situation you are in with your husband. I hope that if he sees you are a non-drinker, you will be able to work things out.

I'm so glad you are here!

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternoon friends,

Jimmy! No head-hanging here! Welcome home and good to see you.

3June, very, very big congratulations on your 60 days!

Welcome, Cynthialynne! "Moderation" never worked for me either. I did a similar excercise with writing down the benefits vs costs of both drinking and not drinking (on a piece of paper divided into quarters, found the excercise online), and it was very eye opening. This place really does work wonders, by providing very critical elements to our quit: TOOLS (in the form of knowledge) and SUPPORT, from the community. We all share this path and learn from each other.

Everyone please have a great AF evening!
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Going to start visiting here in the next more often and get to know everyone better.

Neddy - Love reading your posts, you are doing so well and offer great support to others as well.

Overit - Haven't seen you here, maybe it's because I'm relatively new, will read that link today.

Cynthia - You are in great company here, so glad you dropped in, looking forward to hearing more from you.

NoSugar - Thanks for cheering everyone on and your wise words!

Little Beagle - I started a weight loss program too - let's compare notes. Just got back from a lunchtime bike ride (1 hour), whew, but I feel great afterwards.

A wonderful day to all!
                  "A good garden may have some weeds"
                  Thomas Fuller

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, NS, thank you so much for the warm welcome! For some reason just the quick acknowledgement brought me to tears (silly, I know) because I know I'm doing the right thing today....I've waited for this day, and now it's here. I feel relieved for the moment. Again, a million thanks.

I know, a year of lurking. So ridiculous. I like the lil' teasing, made me smile. (It was more like 1 1/2 years, to be honest.) I guess I was just scared to be accountable. I'm disciplined in most other areas of my life, (work, diet exercise) but not alcohol.

I have a plan and I know this is going to be a journey
                    I sure wish everyone the best of luck, and I'm SO happy to be here.

Hugs.
                    :h Cynthia Lynne (Cyn) :h
                    __________________________________________________ ____
                    ?One of the most important keys to Success is having the discipline to do what you know you should do, even when you dont feel like doing it.?

AF- 8/1/13
                    7 Days- Done 8/7/13 :thumbs:
                    14 Days- Done 8/14/13 :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Cynthialynne!!!
                      I am happy that you found the nest... it is a comforting place to be. I hear you on the age thing... I'm in early 40's and am feeling like crap from too much drinking. I look forward to journeying with you towards sobriety....
                      How come if alcohol kills millions of brain cells, it never killed the ones that made me want to drink? ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

CynthiaLynn welcome.

It took many of us years to come to terms with our drinking, to admit we had to stop, to seek the help we needed. I had many a conversation with myself, made many a deal and lost many days to AL. I know I wouldn't be where I am now if it weren't for the folks here at MWO.

I found that saying it out loud was the first step, then reading of others' recovery (and their slip ups), finding the tools (see link below) and finally the last step was acknowledging that I really could do this. After that it's a matter of determination and commitment.

You can change your life. We will help!
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dear Cyn,

It takes a fair bit of courage to write the first post. Welcome!!

Alcohol addiction is progressive and it does get worse with every passing week, month, and year. The damage to our bodies adds up, the destruction to our relationships gets worse and worse, and our guilt and shame can become nearly unbearable.

What's amazing in the face of such destruction is how quickly things can turn around once we've made a decision, and stick with the decision, to stop drinking. Unless we have damaged our vital organs beyond repair, they respond remarkably well. People in our lives who we have hurt and offended see the positive changes in us and begin to build trust. We start to feel proud of ourselves, find ways to forgive ourselves, and begin to extend a helping hand to others.

For me, to be dependent on alcohol was a terrible cycle of misery. The level of misery experienced by people with a drinking problem varies, but for me, just like you, I could no longer bear it. I had reached a point of complete despair and hopelessness.

Yet, within a few days of sobriety I began to feel a bit more powerful and in control. In weeks, and now months, I feel free. Careful but free. And it does boil down to one moment at a time. One hour at a time. One day at a time.

Everyone in The Nest is supportive. Yes, we joke and laugh and even scold a bit every now and then. But each and every one of us knows the awful truth of addiction to alcohol. So we are able to support each other without judgement.

Thank you for joining us. ~
                          Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                          pointed the way
                          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

cynthialynne;1538909 wrote: . I'm disciplined in most other areas of my life, (work, diet exercise) but not alcohol.
                            Hi, Cyn

This hit home to me. I am the same (to the point of anal retention :H), which made my complete inability to stop drinking on my own so mysterious and frustrating.

I hope that you also find that once you have the support of this community that you're able to bring your usual discipline to bear and just do this. I pretty much had decided that this was it. I couldn't do it alone, I wasn't going to go to a group, and I had no other ideas. So -- that inspired me to do whatever it took to get off AL using the tools and support so freely and lovingly offered here. So far so good.

I love your avatar, by the way.

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jimmydama welcome! I don't know you from before but I don't think anyone gets shunned here right nesters? All we want is the best for you.

Thanks for the encouragement you guys. 60 days and I truly have no desire to drink most of the time. The cravings seem to come at odd times, and I have been caught by surprise once or twice. But my resolve is strong, and I have you my friends to help me through.

WE CAN DO IT!
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dear 3June - I'm so HAPPY for you and PROUD of you on 60 alcohol-free days!! Sixty days!! Count 'em!! Your body thanks you. Your life thanks you. We thank you. Big Hugs!! :groupluv:
                                Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                                pointed the way
                                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Working...
                                X