Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Aww, Byrdie, what you need is a hot bath, not a body cast. Just Calgon and hot water and you. Helping someone to move is nearly the ultimate sacrifice. If there is any way to get out of it, we must. I am so convinced that asking someone to help us move is more than any person is entitled to ask, that I hired a moving company to make the move for Hubs and me into our home. I felt good that I was watching men who were paid, well paid (plus generous tip) to manhandle sofa, bed, and fridge. Really, this is a job for the professionals. I remember bringing iced tea and snacks to the men who we hired to work. I felt sorry for them. So... my position on this matter is... unless one is completely desolute and desperate and with no money whatsoever, please DO NOT ask friends and family to help you move. You will cause their hair to hurt, even!! And, in my book, that is just not right!! nfire:
    Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
    pointed the way
    with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Total fail today.
      A bad day at work, with 20 people being laid-off. Sucks
      Totally unexpected, 180 let go corporation wide.
      Two that started the same week as I, 27 years ago.
      One whose wife is going blind, and now has no health insurance, another with 2 kids, age 1 and 3, again, now with no health insurance.
      Went to meet others after work at a bar, I know.....
      One of my best buds, let go 2 years ago, and still not working, had 'em lined up up at the bar when I arrived. I relented. I had no plan for for this one.
      Got to work on that.
      Not drunk, but, damn it. The beast knows when and where to hit you when you're down.
      The upside, I've now survived five rounds of lay-offs.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Damn, Mr V. what a FU day. Sorry. Hope it gets better soon. At least you did not fall victim to the beast.
        Sam
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Mr. V. My how I remember the day you are having. I was a career banker and survived 4 mergers. No fun.

No judgement, we do that enough ourselves anyway, hang in there and get back on track. Try not to let AL win!!!
          "A good garden may have some weeds"
          Thomas Fuller

Comment

Newbies Nest

My heart goes out to you mr. V for having to bear witness to the devastation of your friends and coworkers. You just hiccuped with the few drinks. Forget about the mistake and keep up with your abstinence. Good choice to come here.

I am on day 4 or 5 and fighting temptation when I least expect it.
            Welcome Cyn and so happy you are here. I wish my DIL would give my son an ultimatum as she might be the only one able to put him on the right track. Who knows. Maybe in the future you and your hubby can work things out. What's important is that you are taking responsibility for your drinking. Great firs step.

I am spending the weekend minding my 3 year old granddaughter while mommy has her little brother. I hope to spend some time here getting to know you all better.
            "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

Newbies Nest

We love you, Mr V. - You may be experiencing survivor's guilt, which is excruciating - at best. You're not drunk. Good deal. We are with you. So happy that you checked-in with your fellow Nesters. Life can be so painful and unfair and merciless. Yet each of us must choose how will will react; what we wish our legacy to be. You are amongst friends, Mr V. And you are loved. ~
              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
              pointed the way
              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

So tonight is night 27. I have thoughts of drinking still but you all here are in my head cheering me on so I am plugging away. I shared via pm with a couple of you about my mother being in hospice in another state and it's been over probably 5 years since I've seen my parents or even talked with them other than to beg for help when my older sister is drinking and ends up in trouble. It's a long story, and I was terrified and full of alcohol driven anxiety over seeing them, especially my mother, but something in me knew it was time to quit and deal. So I did on July 6th and I drove down on the 19th arriving very late that night but she was still alive (not exactly coherent tho), and she died the next morning at 9:30, so it was pretty quick after I arrived. Both my sisters were already there, really no feelings for them, but my dad was certain my mother was holding on until I got there so we could all be together (like one big happy dysfunctional family??) On a good note, my dad has opened up to me, started calling me again, is visiting in a couple weeks, and I'm actually looking forward to it. So I tolerated the events following her death (with more than a few rolled eyes) and now I'm sort of confused as I started this now I have to finish it. But really there is no finish because it's forever.

Anyway, part of how I deal is staying busy which means no computer time. Sadly I drank while I lurked here, so now that I'm not drinking...well, I'm walking, reading, watching breaking bad--always wanted to watch it, in season three and it's gotten so sad I've got two books going, one is the weird sisters...lol kind of hits home at this time in my life, (my sisters and I love each other, we just don't like each other very much...lol it's sort of what the book is about) the other book I just finished, defending jacob -- it was ok, not as good as I thought it would be.

so off to bed. welcome new members. and BH aren't you a day ahead of me? I thought you posted the same number as I am on but I'm too lazy to go back and check. Welcome new members...you are in good company here. As for the lurking, I was and still am a huge lurker, but trying to stay connected. hugs to all good night....piper

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone 1st nite here. 3 years sober, 1 year 10 months no cocaine, 1 year 1 month no cigarettes, cuttin out the sugar too. I'm finding out giving up the chemical substances is easier than changing my behavior. If anybody has managed their anger, anxiety, emotional issues in a positive healthy way I would like to here from you.
                  Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
                  If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone

Here I am, up at 7am on my day off, full of energy. Changed days indeed.

Mr V, such a shame about your co workers, it's a horrible thing to happen. Here's hoping they find suitable employment soon.

Lav, I am so glad you got to spend all that sober quality time with your grandkids, I bet it was great fun!

Tess, I had a nice relaxing evening last night, how are you feeling?

Byrdie, I know who to call next time I am doing a house move. You'll have muscles on your muscles now!

SS, have a lovely time with your grand daughter.

Piper, I am so sorry to hear about your Mum, my thoughts are with you. I lost my own Mum earlier this year, if there is any way I can help, please PM me. And I know all about dysfunctional families too! It's Friday morning here and I am on day 28, I think I was a day ahead of you, not sure.

Welcome Nefermichael! Wow, congratulations on getting all that rubbish out of your life,and for so long! I can't help you with the behavioural stuff, but hang around here and I am sure you will get some advice soon enough. :welcome:

Kairos, good to see you are still here and posting.

So, what to do with this sober Friday morning? Some housework would be a good place to start! I'll check in throughout the day. Happy sober Friday everyone
                    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello NESTERS, Just checking in to say hi. Its about 5.00pm in oz Friday night. A few months ago I would have drunk a bottle of wine by now, but here I am sober and looking fwd to a af weekend. Havn't posted a lot lately. There are heaps of new newbies around . Good luck this weekend Guys. WHO IS WITH ME on a af weekend ??

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters,

Wow! Such a lot of activity since I went to bed last night!

Tess - in terms of bath or shower I mix 'em up. Sometimes a bath, sometimes a shower. That's the kinda crazy guy I am. I love the wee guy in the bath on your post - he's even got that "my-liver's- wrecked" colour that I have had occasionally when I have overdosed on the devil's brew.

Overit - thanks for the inspiringpost.
                        Kairos - congrats on day 4. Keep posting. Especially in times of difficulty and need.

Mr V - Sounds like a terrible day all round. So you had a wee drink? The important thing is you are making progress and we are all behind you. Day 1 again. Onwards and upwards. We are rooting for you.

Piper - so sorry to hear about your loss. It is news like that which puts my alcoholism into perspective: some people can't cure their illness, but I can arrest mine as long as I don't drink a drop of alcohol. A simple and humbling step. My thoughts are with you.

Nefer - welcome to MWO. I am sure there will be lots of people here who could give you advice and support re your emotional issues. The important thing is you have identified the problem, so now you can focus on finding a solution.

BH - Rising nice and early like you when I don't have to. But, I can! I am sober! I am happy. Probably happier at the moment than I have ever been in my adult life.

Hadit - well done on your sobriety and your positive outlook. Keep on keeping on!

If I have missed anyone, apologies. Love to you all in MWO Land.
                        "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello again,

I don't know if you have seen this before but I have watched it over the last couple of nights. Very touching, pertinent and, ultimately, scary. If you haven't seen it I think you should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4&hd=1[/video]]Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube

Comment

Newbies Nest

Neddy Merrill;1539159 wrote: Hello again,

I don't know if you have seen this before but I have watched it over the last couple of nights. Very touching, pertinent and, ultimately, scary. If you haven't seen it I think you should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4&hd=1[/video]]Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube
                            Thanks Neddy, I just watched the start, it looks very interesting and I will definitely be watching it later today.
                            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

It is quite hard hitting.

How are you doing BH? I am waiting for the gas man to come and service my boiler. After that I need to get the plan into place. A boozy pal has been working away from home and I know he is going to be looking for a boozing buddy this evening. Here's the plan: switch the phone off; leave the house so he can't come knocking and twisting my arm. I feel pretty strong and that I could probably just say NO! but I am not jeopardising my joy, happiness and sobriety. I never was good at Russian Roulette. I think I am going to go to a meditation class in the centre of Glasgow tonight. It should keep me chilled and out of the way of arm-twisting friends.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Neddy Merrill;1539186 wrote: It is quite hard hitting.

How are you doing BH? I am waiting for the gas man to come and service my boiler. After that I need to get the plan into place. A boozy pal has been working away from home and I know he is going to be looking for a boozing buddy this evening. Here's the plan: switch the phone off; leave the house so he can't come knocking and twisting my arm. I feel pretty strong and that I could probably just say NO! but I am not jeopardising my joy, happiness and sobriety. I never was good at Russian Roulette. I think I am going to go to a meditation class in the centre of Glasgow tonight. It should keep me chilled and out of the way of arm-twisting friends.
                                I am doing great Neddy, having fish fingers and beetroot for lunch! Please avoid that buddy like the plague tonight. You're right, you probably could say 'no' but what's the point of risking it right now? Meditation sounds like a great idea. I am meeting my daughter after work for a coffee, then I am going to have a soak in the bath, phone a friend of mine who lives in the States, and stick around this place for a while this evening. It's only another day my friend, and I know how strong you are.

Comment

Working...
                                X