X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Birdie-How about this one?

December 2012 by Overit:
    I quit smoking 2 years ago, while still drinking. I used the patch. My husband still smokes and I LOVE the smell of it but I know just one drag and it's all over. I worked too hard to quit to start again. I hope that's the same attitude I'll have about drinking too. My husband still smokes and drinks."

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Working late at the office...got my energy and mojo back....lets not waste it on work

I've only skimmed today....but, I did want to say thanks to Tess...

I loved your analogy yesterday on the eye color. If I ever question having one again...I will check to see if my eyes have changed color If they haven't....I can assume my brain chemistry has not changed.

Also...you are right about creating a new life. I find myself getting more involved with community and school activities. Cuts into my MWO time though:exclaim:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone, I mistakenly posted in newbies nest roll call. I'm just checking in by posting. So far, all is well. I'm having a nice productive evening. Have a great day! peace

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to show you all my new boy: Attached files [img]/converted_files/2159820=7622-attachment.jpg[/img]
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Day 100, Little Beagle, and hello Nesters!

Dear Little Beagle,

Happy 100 days AF! We made it! Sorry i haven't checked in for a while. The many reasons for this are too hard to articulate. But i have thought of you and the other Nesters often.
            It's really been a roller-coaster 100 days; i've learned so much, and remain STEADFAST!
            best wishes to all, and lots of love,
            Steady
            :h
            AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Watch out for those triggers people! They sneak up on you out of the blue! Make a plan to deal with your triggers and stick to it. Have a great evening everyone, and see ya tomorrow!
              11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, what a beautiful boy!!! He looks like a real sweatheart!! His name is Jack?

Witts, Smart Recovery....It's a group thing similar to AA without the higher power thing, I think!! I'm using that as an excuse to say hey to you....you are chugging along (in a good way!)
                Little Beagle and STEADFAST, holy moly! 100 Days! This is newsworthy!!!

Here is your 100 Day Birds!!!

:finger::finger:

Wow, what a great job each of you has done! This entitles you to memebership to yap in the 100 Day Maintenance Thread! I hope you are as proud of yourselves as we are of you!!! Keep up the great work!

Elvis, keep it rocking!!

Hugs to all, stay safe and sober tonight, no matter what and no matter who! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening friends,

LB and Steadfast, great big kudos to you both! Would you kindly share some of the wisdom that got you there?

K9, what a great looking dog! I bet he's a real sweety. I was playing with my neighbor's dog for a bit today and it really made me miss having a dog in the house. Time to remedy that soon.

Elvis, glad to see you. I agree with you about having a plan. This is the place to come and steal techniques from your colleagues.

I keep thinking about two great concepts that I've seen mentioned here very recently. From Byrdie is the phrase about maintaining my quit being 1000 times easier than starting over. I just love that phrase. I think it is true whether you have 3 days or 3 years AF. Just ride out the craving until its gone and then go about your life, you'll be so glad you did. Eventually it will become just faint and annoying mental chatter, easily ignored.

The other great concept is about building an AF life, not just quitting drinking. These are two different things. I'm trying to remember to do something everyday to keep my life headed in the direction I choose, not what gets chosen by a life of hungover neglect. I used to feel life beating down on me when I was drinking, a very oppressive feeling. With an AF life, we get to steer the ship a little more and are not victims of ourselves.

Thanks for all the great posts today. Have a great AF night.
                  "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                  AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1540526 wrote: Witts, Smart Recovery....It's a group thing similar to AA without the higher power thing, I think!!
                    This is a good description. A program based on rationality/science rather than spirituality, but alot of people in SMART go to AA as well. They have alot of really good toolbox type stuff that you can check out online, and they have good online meetings as well.

Self Help Substance Abuse & Addiction Recovery | SMART Recovery?

Anyways, what's up nesters? I'm coming to the end of my day 1, and it sucked but I made it through. I didn't realize how sick and withdrawing I still was until about 5pm today. I started getting ready to go to a 6pm SMART meeting, and by the time I got ready I was sweating bullets (and toxins), and feeling really shaky and anxious and sick, started to want a drink really bad. I decided to stay in, rest, and take an Ativan to help with the withdrawals and I feel much better.

Day 1 pretty much in the bag, thanks for being here all.
                    Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. - Jim Rohn

You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of. - Jim Rohn

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Hang in there woofer

K9, such a sweet looking doggie! I hope Jack settles in nicely

LB & Steadfast - CONGRATS on your 100 AF days :yay:
                      You both show that commitment needed to succeed & a growing sense of gratitude. Keep it up you guys!

I've had a busy day myself. Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Let's do it all again tomorrow!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yeah!! We are both awesome. Miss you around the nest Steady, but I am so glad you are staying the course.
                        Hang in there woofer you can beat this thing. Trust me. I never thought I could do it.
                        Have a great one wherever you are.
                        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 1 done and wow to 100 days you guys!!!!!!!
                          I just keep repeating, "I don't drink" to myself..... Maybe I can shut that beast up and believe it
                          I am reading more than posting bc I have to do it on this iPhone and its tedious to type.
                          Stay strong woofer and all D1'ers

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pinecone;1540538 wrote: I used to feel life beating down on me when I was drinking, a very oppressive feeling. With an AF life, we get to steer the ship a little more and are not victims of ourselves.
                            Wow, great words, Pincone. Your post inspires me to get through another day. On to day 6 for me, and off to bed as to not even consider changing my mind about being AF forever.

Goodnight all, and sweet dreams!

~Cyn:h
                            :h Cynthia Lynne (Cyn) :h
                            __________________________________________________ ____
                            ?One of the most important keys to Success is having the discipline to do what you know you should do, even when you dont feel like doing it.?

AF- 8/1/13
                            7 Days- Done 8/7/13 :thumbs:
                            14 Days- Done 8/14/13 :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Little Beagle and Steadfast -fantasic on your 100 AF days . Congratulations. :band2:
                              Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
                              If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pinecone, you are right. At 3 years sober I have rode out the cravings, just suffered through them, more than anything else as far as recovering goes and I barely notice the urges anymore.
                                Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
                                If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X