Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters! I quick howdy-do today, got to get at it.

R,thesweet. I had high liver readings and the like back in January of 2011. I had quit weeks at that time. I was afraid I'd done damage beyond repair. I went back 3 months later and everything was back in line as normal! So I would say it took me 3 and a half months to undo 25 years of abuse. Not a bad trade! I am SO thankful to have this second chance. Nobody takes much pity on an ALK with a bad liver...'you did it to yourself' is all I thought. But you can undo it.

OnceMore, I am so happy for you on Day 4. If I may issue one word of caution...an ALK cannot have 'just a sip' of something. For us it is poison even in the smallest doses. Sips lead to slips lead to SLIDES off the mountain. I can't tell you the number of people I've seen on this site, who 'just had a taste, and the next thing you know....(insert relapse here). I don't care how innocent it seems...please make your partner aware of this. Ask him not to offer you AL, no matter how 'intriguing' it is. It has AL in it and for us, that IS the enemy. If you have a few hours of spare time, just read back right here in the newbies nest of people who think just one won't hurt. To do battle with this enemy, you must fight with all you've got. He is the most clever, cunning, ruthless opponent I've ever met. Adopt a Zero Tolerance Policy. Not one, not ever!! Even get rid of all the cough syrup in the house with AL in it, YES, I have seen people derail on cough syrup. I don't take the chance, my quit is too important. My life DOES depend on it. Keep up the great work!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful hump day!! Go out and make us proud today!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good hump day,

Wow this is my first day off since Sunday, and I am exhausted. After over a year of not working outside the home, it takes the body a while to adjust. Really like the job.

I have missed you all and think about you everyday.

So good to see all the new and returning faces. Everyone sounds great.

Byrd says it best "AL is like poision", and we remember what happened to Romeo and Juliet after drinking that!

Hang tough
      JDG
      Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

7 days/1 week AF

Good morning nesters~

I woke up early today and couldn't believe it has been 7 whole days.
        I would of never believed it. I feel really proud. People, for the most part, have been extremely supportive.

I need to give credit where it's due though. I would of NEVER made it if it wouldn't of been for this crew here. You guys are all amazing, and critical for success. I know this is a small step, but hopefully will be the beginning to many more of a lifetime. I won't get complacent, and have all my tools ready for the next 7 days. Thank you guys for all the support. I haven't been AF for a whole week in probably 10 years, so I'm feeling happy:yay:

Good luck to all the other nesters today too.
        Like everyone says, stay close to here, post often and read everything you can. (Toolbox)
        Work your plan!

Love and smiles! :thanks:

~Cyn
        :h Cynthia Lynne (Cyn) :h
        __________________________________________________ ____
        ?One of the most important keys to Success is having the discipline to do what you know you should do, even when you dont feel like doing it.?

AF- 8/1/13
        7 Days- Done 8/7/13 :thumbs:
        14 Days- Done 8/14/13 :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning friends,

Cyn, congratulations on you seven days. You'll get your moon today! AF life is so much better than we expect it to be. I'm surprised everyday, but then again I've always been a procrastinator.

JDG, that's good news that you like the job. So many people don't like what they do 40 hours a week.

Welcome Dippy! That time in the afternoon. Is called the witching hour on here. I found that a helpful concept, along with urge surfing, euphoric recall and HALT (hungry, angry, lonely and tired, as "triggers").

Great to be here today. Have a great AF day.
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh wow, didn't expect to come on here this morning and see so many people saying congratulations. Makes me happy. :thanks:

Tess-2;1540674 wrote: Congratulations, Elvis, on 7 Alcohol-Free Days!! We in The Nest are"singing your praises" today!! We are delighted to honor you with this highly-coveted award:

:moon:

You are a shining example for all of us!! Nice work, Elvis!!!

The Starf and Little Helpers
            :H Awesome! My first award. Now I have something to proudly display in my signature!

3June2013;1540708 wrote:
            Elvis day 13 is a good day but its not magical.
            True. When I make it to Day 13, that will be the longest consecutive number of AF days I've had all year so it's a personal victory. I'm not giving up though, I'm committed to stay AF forever.

Here's a tip I used for people struggling with the whole forever thing, like I did for a long time. I tell my Alcoholic Voice that when we make it 200 years AF (yes, years), we will celebrate with a drink. Seems to appease the annoying little guy. He's not too smart once you learn how to control him instead of letting him control you. So, if you can't commit to forever, try committing to 200 years.
            11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good job Cyn! I sense the staff will bestow upon you your dancing butt or some other humorous but well earned award shortly. :H
              11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Everyone gather 'round!! Cynthialynne has achieved 7 Alcohol-Free Days!! This is a tremendous feat of courage, skill, and determination!! We are proud of you, Cyn, and pleased to honor you with this award:

:moon:

You have shown us how to "get it done" with smarts and style. Awesome work!!!
                Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                pointed the way
                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning. Just checking in. Went to a meeting (which meant drinks) and not even tempted. I feel like I'm right where I left off. It doesn't even appeal to me, no one cares that I don't drink with them, and I feel like a million bucks the next day. Being the "cook kid" on the block is better.

Have a great day!

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit44;1541013 wrote: Being the "cook kid" on the block is better.
                    How's that? LOL I know you meant COOL kid, and yes you are one of the coolest kids I know! Keep up your great work

Great job Cyn and Elvis...sober looks good on you!

Welcome back to Coco and a big warm welcome to Dippy! Stick around so we can get to know you!

Happy Hump Day everyone...this is the most I've been at work in 8 weeks and it's taking it's toll...I'm tired! I have to admit that it's good to be off the couch though...that was getting depressing.

Hang in there everyone...you are stronger than alcohol will ever be. YOU are in charge, not the Beast!
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

She is a good cook, too! I've made her curried shrimp several times :H!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dippy;1540964 wrote: Hello, I'm new here although I have been looking at the site loads . . . . Today is a new start beginning with change in routine for evenings which is my problem time, although something quite often clicks in my head around late pm saying "it's okay". Cup of tea for me tonight when I get in (after cycling part of way home). So Day 1 for me . . . . .
                        Hi Dippy and welcome to MWO. This is a great place to be to meet new friends and to learn strategies that will stand you in good stead as you move forward in your battle to defeat the enemy that is alcohol. It's good that you have already identified a trigger time and thought about how to combat it. It's been said to you before, but I'll say it again: stay close to the nest and read and post often.
                        "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

allankay;1540800 wrote: Here is a documentary about the cost of Alcohol to our society. Next time someone says alcohol is not a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-i4W9lgnGU[/video]]National Geographic:-Drunk And Disorderly - YouTube

Allan
                          Wow Allan that's a real find. Watching those kids made me scared for them. Sometimes I wonder how I survived those days!
                          Newbies Nest
                          Toolbox
                          My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiiiiii fellow Nesters!!! I've been slacking on keeping up in here, so I've been a little quiet.

Well done on 7 days, Cyn!!! 10 years, Cyn? This is major progress and you must be feeling pretty damn proud of yourself. I'm very inspired by your achievement and honesty. I'm happy for ya!

I'm still sober since I last showed my face...been keeping myself uber busy with projects around the house and have been posting in other forums. Also, my fiance's son and nephew were here for the past week. So, life-lectures, constant supervision, and keeping them occupied was in order. 12 and 13 year old boys are a mess. They met a couple of girls here and have been hanging out with them a lot. I feel the need to stay on my toes as they're already bragging about kissing them. They went back their homes yesterday and I can finally relax. They're not even my children and I'm freaking out about them growing up.

I'm gonna try to get caught up with you Nesters. Lots of it to do!

I hope everyone is have a fabulous AF day!!!
                            ?If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.? - Eckhart Tolle

To contact me, please msg me here:
                            mandiekinz@baclofenforalcoholism.com
                            Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nesters good afternoon I am just waking up after a night shift, I hate these shifts. Wake up tired and feeling pretty useless all day. Oh well it's better than a hangover right?

I love reading of all your successes it really is like watching the sun come out. Congratulations to you all!

I am too tired and cranky to go through all touch base individually but I am lurking and watching and I am so proud of us!

I'm at the point now where I want to preach to the world about the dangers of AL, but I know that no one wants to hear it until they are ready themselves. I will try to get as many people as I can to watch those videos though, hopefully it might open up a few eyes.

Stay strong nesters! It's worth it!
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

American grocery shopping vs Canadian

Funny I was just thinking about how in my drinking days I thought Americans were so lucky they can buy beer and wine in the grocery store, in Walmart, in gas stations! Here in Canada we are very limited, the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) is the only place I can buy spirits and wine other than the smaller wine stores. Beer is sold at the Beer Store (another government controlled business) or at microbreweries. You have to plan to go to get booze. In my grocery store there is a little store attached that sells wine and I would always grab a bottle when I was there. Otherwise the fact that it is behind closed doors that you purposely have to go through makes it a little easier to ignore I think. I might do an informal study on liquor laws and the relationship to alcoholism.
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X