Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well, I didn't make Day 3
    I'm writing what I think went wrong for myself. I'm not looking for sympathy or anything. Just need to get it out there for me so I can confront those issues tomorrow on day 1 again.

So, Day 1 and 2 weren't bad... Day 1 I was hungover and guilty so easy.... Day 2 was like I was determined to prove something so nothing stood in my way... Then I got smug

Day 3 I was irritated and just MAD at everything....my kids, myself, traffic, husband, whatever and then I read an article that triggered my obsessive, negative self and berated myself for something I did 30 years ago - ALL DAY- I do take medicine for OCD but today was just horrible. So emotionally drained by afternoon- then I cheered up and was actually doing great in evening when hubs got beer.... And you can figure out the rest.... Not drunk but definitely drank!!!!!! Ugh .... Any advice? No, my hubs won't quit .... He thinks I can drink normally too...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello ICAN

I think that the first thing you got to figure out is what you're doing... a plan, whether you are totally quitting, cutting back, quitting for a week, 2weeks 1 month, etc. From that point you know what it is YOU want. Then you got to make a plan on how to achieve it. Personally IMHO try to quit for one week. Then go for two. If that's too much, do it day by day, but do it, however you can.... hour by hour. You get the idea. Anything you achieve is an accomplishment!!

Other family members are entitled to their habits BUT so are you. If this is what you want, then you got to be ready to do the do.

I also suggest that you do some reading on how / why you want to stop.

Keep checking in here and keep reading here, there's lots of stuff to keep you occupied and posting connects to like situated folks who are not here to judge but to encourage.

Good luck with your journey!
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have been in your place I can. Trying to quit drinking while those around my continued.
        It's not easy but it can be done. Planning ahead is everything. I ate. At first I would bring home my favorites and I would eat until full. It really knocked out that urge to drink. The main thing is to plan. Plan what to say, what to tell people, what to eat. Do it in the morning and practice all day.
        I hope tomorrow is better for you. :b&d:
        Whip that old demon. You can beat it.
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all. Day 4 was tough as there was a beer in the fridge. I went and looked at it for a bit and even considered opening it and pouring it down the sink just so it was gone but realised that was silly, so just ignored it. Used some of my frustration up in arguing with morons on Facebook about the continuing relevance of pointing out everyday sexism....I do like a good scrap. ;-)

Day 5. I am going to the pub tonight but I'm going to drink lemonade. Am determined to make it til Friday before having a drink and I may not even have one then. We shall see.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nest!

A day off at last, this week has seemed to go on forever! ICan, posting honestly and being accountable is very important. What can you learn from what happened on your day 3? Don't let it deter you.

I am feeling the effect of all my gym work this morning. I feel it in my calves and thighs a wee bit. I don't work out for weight loss or anything. I do it purely because I enjoy it, and it beats the hell out of lying on the couch pouring glass after glass of wine for a hobby.

I also think physical fitness relates a lot to what goes on in your mind. I had a really bad craving for a cigarette yesterday. I wanted one so badly, just out of the blue! I told my buddy at work and he took me outside and told me to breathe deep in the fresh air.

The two of us stood in silence for a few minutes just taking big deep breaths and letting them out. We must have looked like a pair of head cases, but it worked. I never want to smoke again and I never want to drink again. And it feels so good!
            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters! Sorry to be AWOL so long.. I have occassionally been lurking but as I chose to mod after 50 days AF, I didn't feel it appropriate/responsible to post in the nest.

I have had success and excess... Now I feel the need to return AF... I am spending too much time thinking about AL and am bored of it. Abstaining is easier than modifying..

So here we go - day 1 - whooooooosh!
              AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Another dark & damp day in my portion of the nest - oh well! I really do have plenty to do inside to keep me out of trouble

ICan, just as BH just mentioned, distraction is key to success!
                Nothing will ever just change - you have to make the changes! Decide ahead of time how you are going to handle drinking triggers. Taking a walk, reading a book, spending time around children, doing volunteer work, knitting.....do anything but drink

BH, great job on distracting yourself yesterday! We have to learn to wait out the cravings, they do go away & won't kill us

Wishing everyone a great AF Thursday!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome back Wine-no!
                  Moderation is just a dream for the majority if us. It truly is just easier, in the long run to remain AF
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning,

Embarking on day 3 & have plans for the day to help stay AL free.

It is great to read about so many successes! Very encouraging.

Cocoflo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great to see you back, Wine-No!

Dear I Can, glad to see you in the nest. If you can get past the first five days or so, it does get a little easier. Eat lots and drink plenty of water and post when you are tempted to drink. It helps.
                      Free at Last
                      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the welcome back guys
                        AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternoon everyone - little late in posting - have been busy this morning which is good. I will get to know and understand all the posts and hopefully be a bit more involved in this thread but in the meantime, checking in successfully. Thought it would be a good idea to record one good thing about being AF each day . . . . so here goes

Today I looked in the mirror and liked myself a little more

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1541282 wrote: Welcome back Wine-no!
                            Moderation is just a dream for the majority if us. It truly is just easier, in the long run to remain AF
                            Lav
                            quite right on moderation being a dream... I believe if we're at all at a certain point of questioning our intake, it's time to quit, the demon already loose.
                            Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning friends,

A lot of good posts about diet and excercise. These are big parts of my quit. I learned a very helpful concept from a documentary (sorry cant remember the name right now) about how to start eating better. It said to start introducing good choices to your diet, rather than thinking about eliminating and having to substitute. Simply eat more good stuff, try a little everyday. Soon those choices will gain momentum in your diet and will tip the scales in that direction. This has really helped me improve my diet, and my health and well being.

That kind of reminds me about what we do here. Find gratitude and fulfillment in AF life, rather than feel the loss of alcohol. It seems to be a more successful concept than focusing on the absence of something.

Have a great AF morning!
                              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for positive encouragement. You all are so kind. Sam you are right I need to know what I want and LB LAV and BH thanks for your advice and words. I just want to be AF today and study why or why not I want it and then make a plan .... Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X