Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hey guys....it's my lunch break so I thought I would login....I think staying connected will help. Byrdie....as always, you give the best advice. Elvis, congrats on 13 days! Free, I am going to try to check out the link you posted. K9...thank you for the encouragement. Nursie...please don't beat yourself up. I know it's hard...that was the place I was in yesterday but today is a new day. The important thing is to never give up.

The office is quiet today....lots of people off this week on vacation. I am going to slip out early and get a mani/pedi!
    Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
    [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternoon friends,

Just a quick drop in after a busy weekend at work. I'm glad to see so many doing so well.

Welcome A4, I know the fear that you are mentioning too well. A good antidote for that is to read this site for examples of happy AF folks. AF life isn't something to be endured, it is relief from the suffering of drinking. I'm glad you came here!

Free At Last, that is a great article, thank you!

Elvis, great job on 13 days! Sounds like you had a great weekend.

Hi Miley, I find the nest overwhelming too, but I guess that's better than it being dead like Byrdie described (I just can't even picture that!). Glad you're here!

Have a great AF day, friends.
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Neddy Merrill;1542497 wrote: Hi there fellow nesters, I haven't been about for a few days - was I missed? - as I took a spontaneous trip to London. Had a great time catching up with an old friend and his family. Back to work tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I'll try to check in in the morning before I head out. Best wishes to all my MWO friends - particularly BH! Off to bed now. Good night.
        Missed this last night Neddy, it is good to have you back. How was London, and your first day at work?

Welcome AA4, you've found a great place.

I had a really good day today and am feeling much better, so thanks for all the good wishes, they really helped. I was raging at being sick when I have been so good, but I guess none of us are invincible!
        Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening everybody, I was back at work (officially) for the first time in six weeks today. I was quite pleased that a lot of folk said that I was looking really well and very refreshed. It's not that long since I took "refreshments" and ended up refreshed out of my t*ts! I will need to be vigilant towards the end of the week when colleagues start suggesting drinks. White lies will be the order of the day. Welcome to any newbies over the last couple of days - I haven't had the time to read through everything I have missed yet - and best wishes to all my old nesting friends.
          "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Free, thank you for the article about happiness, it's very interesting. Numbers 1 and 4 are particularly interesting to me, so thank you :h
            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks, BH. I think the author failed to include have a being in your life other than a human -- dog, cat, chicken, mongoose, llama -- something you need to think about other than yourself. At least having my dog helps make me happy!
              Free at Last
              "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
              http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Newbies Nest

Neddy Merrill;1542919 wrote: Good evening everybody, I was back at work (officially) for the first time in six weeks today. I was quite pleased that a lot of folk said that I was looking really well and very refreshed. It's not that long since I took "refreshments" and ended up refreshed out of my t*ts! I will need to be vigilant towards the end of the week when colleagues start suggesting drinks. White lies will be the order of the day. Welcome to any newbies over the last couple of days - I haven't had the time to read through everything I have missed yet - and best wishes to all my old nesting friends.
                Welcome back, Neddy

Does everyone in Scotland get 6 weeks of vacation each year or are you a special guy (well, we know you are :l - but... you know what I mean!) ?

Having a plan for what you are going to say when various things arise, as they inevitably will, is so
                critical - as is knowing when you are ready to re-enter the "drinking world" as an AF person and not going there until you are sure you have reached that point.

Glad you are feeling better, BHalo. When I've been at all ill the last few months, it seems so unfair, as if being "virtuous" should be a ticket for constant good health :H.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Free, Mrs crazy hours here couldn't commit to a dog or cat, or llama. Does my goldfish count? :H

NS, I was proper angry yesterday, mostly because I couldn't go out or exercise. It made me really grumpy! I mean, I was kicking things like a big petted child ffs :H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goldfish count in my books. He/she needs you, yes? You have to be responsible to something other than yourself? Hope you get some exercise soon. Speaking of which, my dog is letting me know it's time
                    Free at Last
                    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Newbies Nest

I liked the article Free. Thank you for sending the link. I agree being able to care for, talk to and/or cuddle with a dog, cat, horse (not sure about the cuddling with a horse though), or other animal fills a void. And, no judgement by any of them. As I write this, my setter is curled up behind me in my chair because he has to be close to me! There is no way he's comfortable, but at least he's with his mom!

Relieved to make it through my first weekend. Met with a counselor today also and he suggested AA to boot. Not sure I wanted to go there because of the exposure, but he says it's good for the face to face interaction along with my online interaction.

House guests coming in Friday (hope they don't hang as long as Byrdie's - ) but these are old drinking pals, so I have some intrepidation over what's to come and how much I'll be tempted. Again one day at a time - that's not until Friday....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sanchez that's a toughie. I had heavy drinking house guests but I mostly left entertaining to hobby while I took care of the little one and did kp. That is a temptation but you are up for it. Plan very carefully and don't allow al in your space! I wouldn't let anyone put a beer in my fridge for the world.
                        Free I agree about the benefit of pets. It's good for depression to have to care for something. Also they are never critical.
                        Neddy you have overcome many challenges. You can do this. Just say you are on a real health kick. Not a lie at all. Pouring toxins into purpose body is one of the most unhealthy things we can do. That is going to be my standard reply from now on.
                        Elvis you rock. Keep it up.
                        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Elvis;1542828 wrote: Day 13 days done and under my belt. This is the longest consecutive days I have gone without drinking all year, and the longest since I went 31 days over April-May 2012. I had a great weekend where I did a little bit of house cleaning and put up some bookshelves, but mostly just took Saturday off and relaxed. Sunday we went to the state fair and had a great time. It's wonderful to be able to get out of the house and actually enjoy a day instead making excuses to stay home and nurse a hangover.
                          Elvis you inspire me ... You while I am on my 9th day I can't digest the fact that I will never drink AF.... How do I kill this though at back of my mind that I should or will never drink again ? I never want to drink again but then there is a part which has a more casual approach. Hope the right part wins all the time in this struggle ...
                          Rahul
                          --------------------------------------------
                          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                          Rebooting ... done ...
                          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,
                            It's good to be here. Day 9 report : no carvings, still stuffed myself with food ... Now thinking of reducing junk food which I have been stuffing myself to kill the carvings ...

Dr adviced more blood tests which came good but ultrasound was unfortunately not so good as my liver is fatty and enlarged ... ( 2 Al for 3 months !!! Nesters it's like a battle and will need all your support and inspirations ...

I would also need some practical advice how some of you stayed away for so long and virtually became permanent sober ??
                            Rahul
                            --------------------------------------------
                            Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                            Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                            Rebooting ... done ...
                            Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Off to bed now nesters. Sleep tight everyone. Catch up tomorrow.

Rahul, I got blood tests back and it is a miracle that my organs seem to be alright with no long term damage. The fibrosis on your liver, I believe, can be reversed, BUT you must remain AF or it will all be in vain. Good luck.
                              "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1542953 wrote: . How do I kill this though at back of my mind that I should or will never drink again ? I never want to drink again but then there is a part which has a more casual approach. Hope the right part wins all the time in this struggle ...
                                Hi, Rahul

If you read and post often on MWO, the words of others on this subject, and your words - as you think them and type them out for other people to read - will bring about a change in you. You can evolve from someone who feels bad that he may never drink alcohol again to a person who is so relieved not to have to drink it (and live the complicated sad life that goes with it)! I have seen this transformation occur over and over in the time I've spent here and it happened to me.

The change takes various amounts of time for different people and I don't think it can be forced -- but you can take actions to open yourself up to the transition. The answers you receive to your questions and the words of advice and encouragement you offer to others can't help but change you. From what I've seen, you're already doing the right thing!

Just take it day by day and I'll bet you that one day you'll just realize that you never want to drink again !

:h NS

Comment

Working...
                                X