Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1543103 wrote: Good evening Nesters,.

Rahul, it's best not to worry about the future - it's not here yet. Keep your focus on today. Don't drink today, repeat tomorrow. Worrying about the past is a waste of time, it's history. Pick up a copy of 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. That book was a huge help for me.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
    Lav
    Thanks for advice ... I remember several years back I did an art of living course, it's a one 4 to 5 days session designed by Sri Sri ravishankar ( yesplus | The Art of Living) is was about 14 years back when I had just started drinking. I still remember how peaceful the breathing exercises were. That whole concept is also about living in present. And as per them the most pleasant thing you can focus on is your breath. And by doing some rhythmic exercises one can really live or learn to live in present.

I remember I used to mediate daily and relieve myself before sleeping. Now after 15 years I am married parent of two coming home and collapsing under influence ....

How I have screwed up my life ...

I will surely get this book and read it ... Thanks
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just back from first AA meeting. Was scared and crying but amazed at the support - just like this forum. One theme kept repeating itself as members went around the room sharing stories. The theme was this: once they were AF for a period of time (in some cases years), they thought they had it licked. So as each one decided to take that first drink, they soon landed right back where they started from and in even worse shape/drinking more than the last time. Three people made this statement and said they attributed it to not changing their thinking. I likened it to some of the fad diets where people go on them and lose a bunch of weight, but after awhile they slip and are soon back to their old eating habits and gain all of the weight back - plus some. All because they didn't change their thinking.

Comment

Newbies Nest

broken halo;1543175 wrote: Morning everyone. Rahul, hope you enjoyed the badminton and took the great advice from Byrdie and Sam on board. You will notice you will be stronger playing badminton even after just 10 days with no poison in your system.

Hi brokenhalo you are right ... I played quite well today. I have been playing badminton since I was in high school. But stopped playing for a long till about 2 years ago when restarted it. And for almost 2 years has been heavy drinking at night ... Collapsing quite Early at night ... And waking up early and playing ...but my game was not improving going bad ... Rest all improved and improved ...

Till about 4 months back I stopped going.

It felt great to defect the regulars in game today ... New found energy .... Thanks for support !!
        Rahul
        Rebooting ... done ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1543212 wrote: it's just easier to STAY sober than it is to GET sober.
          byrdlady you described things so simply ... And your are sooooo right. I realise that now more than ever
          Rahul
          Rebooting ... done ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nesters, day 10 just got over ... I listened to my 3 years boy tonight asking silly questions and charging his fantasies about cars ... He love cars ... And made me realise I missed his growing up .... Every night I used to come home drunk and collapse ...

My wife today again said she does no trust me ... She begged me to promise her that I will not drink again. But I could tell he so. I tried to tell her I am working on it one step at a time ...but she didn't understand what I am going thru and how difficult it me to even tell myself that I will never drink ...

I don't have gutz to tell her what struggle I am going thru ... Even though she knows that. Have no will power. I have made her life so miserable ..... (

Good news is by evening I gulped a whole pizza to avoid any carvings to come ... But I know this junk food too need to stop ....

Tomorrow is another day another promise to keep to myself ... Good night ... God bless you all ...
            Rahul
            Rebooting ... done ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1543261 wrote: Hi, all, and welcome back to the returners!

This is an article that Kuya posted several months ago and I posted earlier this morning in another thread: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf

The take home message is that in addition to being psychologically destructive to start and stop and start and stop drinking, it is very dangerous. The cycle wrecks havoc on our bodies. This is a progressive disease -- it gets worse and worse and more difficult to treat each time we put ourselves through periods of drinking and abstinence.

Clearly if we have joined MWO, we have realized that our drinking is a problem that we can no longer sustain. Most of us also cannot moderate. This leaves one choice: quit.

I know the "scared straight" public service announcements have been unsuccessful in the "war on drugs" but understanding what is definitely going to happen biochemically and physiologically given repeated cycles of AL abuse and abstinence might be another incentive to quit. I hope so. NS
              Nosugar , excellent post ...
              Rahul
              Rebooting ... done ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi fellow nesters, just thought I'd fly in to the nest and see how my fellow fledglings are doing.
                3J - your resolve inspires me. You have such a "fu*k you" mentality to AL that one of these days Stallone and pals will make a movie of your life: "Expendable? Of Course It Is And If It Shows Up Here Again It's Getting It's Ass Kicked" Fantastic!
                Sanchez - I have been to AA so many times over the years. You can take the first drink. Unfortunately it convinces you that because it was fine to drink one or two with no problem then it will always be like that. The truth is it won't. Getting away with once is still the demon inside us telling us it will be fine. It won't. Never will be. AF is the only way.
                Rahul - It's very hard for anyone to understand what we go through: people think that we are simply selfish; we are told we are programmed o be selfish. None of this is true. It's not about will power. Perhaps you should tell her what you have been going through: anyone on this site could vouch for you - absolute hell, torture, fire and pain. For those who do not suffer like us it is difficult so try to understand from her side and then think about: how to make her understand; how to improve her/your life together.
                Off to bed soon nesters. I'll check in in the morning before I head off to work. Night night everyone xx
                "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

3June2013;1543387 wrote: Hello nesters, just flitting in, shift work really cuts into my chat time!

I was away this weekend and talking about upcoming vacation plans next month and this winter. I realized I haven't been on vacation since I became AF. What? A new challenge? Yes the thoughts came up, why can't I drink a little while on holidays? What if I make a conscious decision to drink while I'm away and quit again when I get back? I was never as bad as those people in the videos. I have quit once ( this is my first real quit and it's been 71 days) so I can obviously do it again. Yada yada. Such bullshit. Sorry if I offend anyone but I am getting angry that these thoughts re-appear now and start their little games in my head. When I find myself going down that road I try to talk it away. Remember that I will have fun without AL. A bonfire is fun without AL. A sunset is fun without AL. Waking up sober, happy and free is an indescribable gift. I gave myself that gift and no sleazy slimy bullshit thought of AL is going to take that away. Hell no.
                  Hey 3J, glad you posted this. We were talking about Christmas at work today and right away I had similar thoughts. Stupid romantic notions about how AL is part of Christmas and how I could handle it by then. Ha! I know EXACTLY how much fun I have when drinking. None whatsoever.

Waking up sober, happy and free is an indescribable gift. I gave myself that gift and no sleazy slimy bullshit thought of AL is going to take that away. Hell no
                  It is an indescribable gift, one that we deserve to have and to keep.

I just got home, hope everyone in the Nest is well, old, new and returners, stay close!

PS Rahul, I love badminton, bet I could beat you! :H
                  Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

NM- I believe what you say. That was the point also today at the meeting. Just don't do it! (take that first sip that is) My goal is to be AF period.

Comment

Newbies Nest

just popped in to say hello
                      and see how everyone is doing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Rahul, that Art of Living program looks amazing. You definitely need to dust off all you learned there & put it to good use
                        Trust will come, honestly, it will. I remember wanting to fix everything immediately when I quit drinking - unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Keep taking one step at a time, keep moving forward & your family will trust you again, mine did!

sanchez, I do not go to AA but many do here & say it's a big help. In case you don't know - there is an AA thread in the Abstinence section, check it out.
                        Changing our thinking is vital to our success. The MWO Hypno CDs help me change my thinking, they were great.

Greetings to all the Nesters & wishing a safe night in the nest for one & all!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

No sugar thank you for your post. Ive stopped and started many times and the physical impacts have only worsened with each attempt. It's like alcohol is saying, all right you bastard you want to quit well try this on for size. The effect is called Kindling and it is very very real. Scared straight is too kind a phrase. Try "you really risk dying" I'm not trying to be dramatic just trying to tell the truth. I'm working on my third week and I still feel like crap. At the same time I know that the way I felt day after day when drinking was much worse. I know my luck personally, health wise, career wise, and esteem wise was fast running out. Keep at it. There is no such thing as moderation for an alcoholic. Believe after 30 years of trying I have learner that lesson well. Keep at it. An AF life offers sooooooo much more.
                          Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been in the nest. It's good to be back. I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong.
                            Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Siren it's good to see you in here. I always enjoy your posts.
                              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening, Nesters....had a nice dinner with my niece and her bf. Settling in for the night....great posts today.
                                How do you lean into the idea of never drinking again? Look at the bottom of my page, that's how I do it. All you gotta do, is get thru THIS day....and I know I can do that. Don't look too far down the road...even when I do that it's like a sucker punch sometimes...so I don't do that!! AL hasn't done me any favors for a very long while...I'm done with that bastard. He was out to kill me. Once you get some distance between you and AL the idea will go down a little easier. I can clearly see now that I don't need it or want it in my life anymore. That took some time to come to terms with. If you will give time, time....you will find this, too.
                                Have a cozy night, all! Byrdie, from the road!
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X