Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I just wanted to swing by the nest and say Happy Friday!!!!!! You guys are awesome and it is so good to see everyone hanging in there.

Have a great, AF Day!!!!!
    Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
    [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi to everyone - I hope to remember names soon....today will be day 2 for me of my 30 day self challenge and I'm feeling very good about it.

Tess, my thoughts are with you too. I was with my Mum when she died after 10 very long years of dementia and a very tough life-time relationship between her and me...but I was there which was important.

I've been moderating for a long time and believe me it just doesn't work!! I've "moderated" myself into drinking "moderately" every night, but I can't stop!! So what's that all about? It's called ADDICTION.

It doesn't really matter how much we drink if we can't stop does it? So I drink one or at the most two glasses of wine each night which is certainly within the guidelines of moderate, or even light, drinking. But it's still got a strangle hold on my life. I think about drinking when I wake up in the morning and all day until cocktail hour and I'm just so sick of it all.

I've been an alcoholic for most of my adult life. At 68 now I am determined to have the years left to me be FREE years. It's my dream to have a totally clear head and be in control of what I do and drink and eat etc. So that's my goal.

I've been over on the TSM board for the last while and it's been helpful, but I think I'll post here as there is more activity and i really need the daily support right now until I get some AF time.

Have a great day everyone.
      JM
      My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1544248 wrote: Wine No, Sanchez and Lizann, let me do some rather late honors....gosh the Awards Committee has been slammed!

On behalf of all the nesters, please accept this small token of a big job! Here are your MOONS!

:moon::moon::moon:

These are subject to interpretation, but the intent goes something like this:
        You've kicked AL's Arse for a full 7 days. You've conquered each day of the week, so you know you can do that. 7 Days is a great milestone. Now you know you CAN do it...but don't let your britches down....keep it going for many moons to come!

Great job you three!!!!
        Byrdie
        Too funny Byrdie - Saw the references to the moon but wasn't sure what it was all about! Thanks for your support! We couldn't do it without such great advice and insight from you all that have been AF for so long. It helps make us strong to know there are folks out there in the world that care. :thanks:

Have a beautiful AF Friday - Oh my, playing tennis in 15 minutes! gotta run....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone - Happy Friday!

Welcome Jazi's Mum.

I agree that moderation doesn't work - if you achieve it to some degree, you are likely to be thinking about alcohol a lot too.....

I honestly thought I would be able to mod after my 50 day AF period but I just felt even more obsessed with alcohol! I've now woken up, smelt the coffee and admitted to myself that I have a problem and have made the choice to give up the poison for good.... So far, so good. I am already feeling and looking so much better...

Have a great weekend x
          AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello again everyone

JM, you are wise to be making this change & taking back control of your life at age 68. With good health & a little luck you could have many happy years ahead of you. I'm turning 60 in December (can't believe I just said that). I look forward to happy & healthy time ahead, playing with my grandkids, raising my chickens, selling eggs & much, much more! Stick around with us

Londoner, don't look back. Keep your focus on yourself & today. Those memories of all the fun you had drinking & wasting your money are the past. You don't want to keep repeating that pattern & never get anywhere, do you? Make the changes now & look forward to a great future

It really doesn't matter if you are 20 or 80 - once you have crossed 'that line' there is no going back IMHO. It's just easier to be AF & be happy!
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1544248 wrote: Wine No, Sanchez and Lizann, let me do some rather late honors....gosh the Awards Committee has been slammed!

On behalf of all the nesters, please accept this small token of a big job! Here are your MOONS!
              :moon::moon::moon:
              Congratulations, Wine-No, Sanchez, and Lizann as you move into your second week of the rest of your lives! Today, because Tess is being where she needs to be, with her mom :h, and Byrdie has flown the coop (well, nest), I have the privilege of saying,

Great job, Kairos!

Here is your :moon:, awarded for nailing AL each and every day of the week. Now there is not one single day where you need to think, "But I always have a drink on ...day!".
              Keep up with what you're doing - it's working!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yay Kairos :yougo:
                AF since Halloween 2016

Comment

Newbies Nest

W
                  little beagle;1544447 wrote: Good morning all.
                  I was thinking about the talk I had with my daughter last night about moderation. I originally thought that after not drinking awhile I would be able to moderate. After all I was stopping because hubby is the one with the problem not me! Well the amount of information and other peoples experiences have just really made me realize how much of a problem I do have and there is no way I will ever be able to moderate. And really why would I want to? I try and eat healthy, get tremendous amounts of exercise, you know do everything I can to be healthy, and then turn around and pour poison down my throat? No thank you.
                  Honestly everyone here is helping me through this difficult time in my life and it is a bright spot in my day to see everyone's progress.
                  Trying to give a word of encouragement to someone else is a positive and drinking again would take that away. What if I couldn't stop again? I don't want to lose this progress I've made for something so stupid as a drink. Ice tea is much more refreshing these days anyway!
                  Have a great one all.
                  :beach::dog::dog:
                  guess where we are off to this weekend!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Your post was inspiring. I feel the same as you, I do not want to lose the progress I have made. Today is eight day AF for me. Hang in there!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Lizard. You are doing great.
                      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Friends,

I broke my last sobering record of 11 days ... I feel so good and proud of myself. Too bad my family does not thing. And I don't want to share ... So far I have not shared openly the struggle I am going thru. Thank to you all for supporting me.

I find it really good to share the thoughts here ... Last time I tried this I wrote my feeling in a daily but that didn't work that we'll... You are my strength guys thanks for being there ... I know it's not over and just a beginning ...

I know what I need to do next and need your help guys. So far I have been stuffing myself with food in evening to kill the carvings. Bu then I have been eating too much ... An ice cream a day , couple of sodas ... How do now balance myself now.

I also want to lose weight ...

Day 11 gone... And still sober ... )
                        Rahul
                        --------------------------------------------
                        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                        Rebooting ... done ...
                        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest Friends,

Thank you for all of your very kind words. You are loved!!

The house is full. All of my siblings have arrived except for one brother. He will fly in later this afternoon. We are sharing bedrooms as in our childhood days. Dad has respectfully requested that friends allow our family this private time. Of course, they are only honored to comply. Food and flowers and cards and letters arrive on the front porch continually. Each of us take turns reading letters and cards to Mama, which she seems unable to hear. Last night we sat in a circle of prayer followed by tales of our favorite childhood memories. We cried and laughed and cried some more. We know that we are on sacred ground. Sacred ground.

Regarding alcohol, what I think often happens, what happened with me, is that a split in the personality occurs. There was a part of me that genuinely, sincerely, with all of my heart wanted to stop the nightmare of compulsive drinking. I lived in shame and secrecy and despair. There was another part of me that wanted to drink. I wanted the buzz. I wanted to zone out. I didn't want to have to think about food and what to eat. (Beer had become about 90% of my food source, sadly.) I was hooked on the sneaking and lying and being the most clever mouse in the game, outwitting my husband (or so I thought). I continued to excel in school in spite of my drinking, which I used to justify my alcohol abuse.

But then, finally, it was time to grow up. I was sick and miserable and hell bent on destroying myself. I have no expert advice on how to quit drinking. I wish that I did. Sometimes I pretend to know a lot, but I'm just kidding myself. The only thing that I know to work is to use the word, No! Or the words, Hell No! No, I'm not going to drink. No, not today. It's a moment by moment decision. I wish I had more to offer up. But that's it.

I will be in touch.
                          Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                          pointed the way
                          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Tess,
                            My heart goes to you, your family and your mom.... You are going thru and emotional time and I am sure GOD will give you strength to keep you on track.
                            Rahul
                            --------------------------------------------
                            Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                            Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                            Rebooting ... done ...
                            Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mama is asking for my brother, John David. Her request is barely audible. John David will not arrive for at least two hours. A dear friend will deliver him from the airport. I have held Mama in my arms and assured her that my brother is only loving her as he makes his journey to be with her. John David is not asking Mama to wait for him. "Run toward the object of your faith, Dear Mother. Do not delay." is his message. Peace is everywhere. No one is crying. I must go now.

Stay sober. Stay sober. We need not be drunk to live this one beautiful life that has been granted to us.

Thank you for listening. It means a lot. Thank you for helping me to be sober. I appreciate every single one of you more than I can ever say. Stay strong!!
                              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                              pointed the way
                              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Aww Tess, you are being so brave and strong. Thinking of you at this difficult time xxx
                                AF since Halloween 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X