Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lizann get a plan in place fast. Can you skip the game? Make or buy something special AF to drink? Be sure to have a fabulous meal and plenty of delicious snacks on hand? You don't need to worry about blowing your nine days if you get an action plan happening now!
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi guys,
      I'm on Day 8 but still feel on really shaky ground. I came here rather than pour a glass of wine though, and I'm going to hang around to read and read until I get my head in the right mode for the rest of my sober Saturday evening.
      Kairos
      Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

Newbies Nest

Weekend Plans

OK newbie nesters the weekend is probably the most vulnerable time for many so we really need to put plans in place early. What are your plans for having a wonderful regenerating two days and waking up each day feeling better than the last?

Kairos you know I'm talking to you!! Stick close, let's talk! he more you post the more you help someone else.
        Newbies Nest
        Toolbox
        My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

You know, Kairos I'm sorry I missed your 7 day AF anniversary. Belated congratulations! Just get through this 15 minutes before you worry about anything else. Distraction and snacking really worked for me. Another good trick for a really rough day is just go to sleep. Even if its 6 PM, you can't drink when you're sleeping and you will get loads of rest. You can do this.
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello friends,

Tess we are all with you. May your mother rest in peace and we pray that you embrace sobriety for life.

Today I broke my record of staying sober for 11 days. 12 day just ending and a the next 2weeks will be an important challenge for me. I will be travelling to places in Switzerland where I have been drinking quite heavily. Work in morning and drink at night ...
            Rahul
            --------------------------------------------
            Rewiring my brain ... done ...
            Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
            Rebooting ... done ...
            Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in. Jekyl & Hyde mood. A week since my last binge. Got that voice or taste for a beer tonight. Need to hold on, as my success in the long teem is based on how I recover from a previous weekend.
              The first couple of weekends are the hurdle.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi there,
                Thanks for being there for me guys. Weekends are such a reminder to 'let my hair down'. It's not going to happen but I guess I'm becoming aware of my triggers which is a good thing. It doesn't help that the weather is lousy outside -feels wintry- like my mood! I was tempted to cave about 40 minutes ago but came here instead.
                Since then I've been into the kitchen to make a lovely fresh salad with greens, apple, grated carrot,walnuts, feta, cherry tomatoes and few black olives. So now, I'm gonna pour myself some ginger cordial diluted with carbonated spring water and go put my feet up!
                You're right I am looking forward to feeling better tomorrow morning than I did today and thanks Pinecone for the shoutout!
                Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sounds fanatic kairos.

I need your will power tonight.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner;1544946 wrote: Sounds fanatic kairos.

I need your will power tonight.
                    Hey, Londoner

Tell yourself, over and over and over, that I don't drink. Have it ready to come easily from your lips when you're offered a drink tonight and then don't look back. Once you've made that declaration, you can be done with worrying about that and get on with whatever the evening has in store which you can enjoy and remember.

When I hear someone casually say that about themselves, I am so impressed - either that they have reclaimed their lives or that they never gave AL the opportunity to wreck it in the first place.

In the current culture, proclaiming being a non-drinker is such a statement of strength and individuality. I think it makes a person "cool".

Have fun and let us know how it goes, ok?

NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thankyou, thankyou. It means a lot.

Two things have stopped me tonight already:

1) My signature - I don't want to have to reset that date on there. It is only a week since I last reset it.

2) I am a better person in the long term with AL. I am more engaging, care more about others and have more energy in general. I also have more fun when sober - I feel I can have a laugh, dance, chat to women etc. Which I cannot do when I drink......unless I am completely blotto. I feel anxious when I drink every weekend. I want to be a person people like to be around and look up to. Not that guy who gets pissed every weekend and doesn't show a lot of commitment or interest in others.

So, staying strong tonight. Even if it means staying in at home.

Edit: and your tip is already working. If I tell myself I am not a drinker, all of a sudden the other voices disappear and I feel so much more in control. Just got to practice keeping at it.

I honestly believe we are all here on Earth, to learn and live a journey. By having my own challenges, which I will overcome, I will become a better person to be around and even more inspiring at work - as I work in a one on one environment. Thank you This site is going to be an invaluable source for me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner;1544955 wrote:
                        Two things have stopped me tonight already:

1) My signature - I don't want to have to reset that date on there. It is only a week since I last reset it.

You are sounding good and strong!! Keep at it, Londoner :goodjob: !

This part of your note cracked me up! I often whine about how dang clunky MWO can be -- something like changing the signature line is just such a hassle . Putting your quit date in is a great tool for keeping yourself on track if, like me, you're lazy about that kind of stuff :H .

I like it when people put their dates in there -- it gives the responder a clue as to where that person is in all of this. Something that you would write to a person at one stage might be pretty meaningless to someone at another.

We are all better people without AL in our lives, I think. Actually, the world would be a better place without AL but we all know how Prohibition went in the US... Clearly, we all just have to learn to live in a society that allows, and even promotes, alcohol.

Take care, NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner are you staying in then?
                          Newbies Nest
                          Toolbox
                          My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Amen to all....if you got thru the last 15 minutes you can get thru the next. We do not have to cave every time we get a craving on a weekend. Get over it and you will be so proud of yourself. Stay strong...we are all right beside you! We get thoughts, too, but push them OUT (like an Exorcist!) GET. IT. OUT. The only way to win this battle is to fight these little wars!! Great job everyone!!
                            Stay the course and never go backwards! It's not worth it! Pinecone gave some great advice, do WHATEVER it takes to get thru this day!
                            I'll be checking in tonight to see how you are doing...stay close...read back on this thread, there are 7 years of stories to learn from!
                            Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening friends,

Kairos, that salad and AF drink sound positively divine! What a treat. Good for you to find a wonderful way to treat yourself. Any "hump" that we get over makes us stronger and you deserve to feel like a million bucks tomorrow.

NS, so much good conversation today about sober being cool. When I was drinking I would run into people who didn't drink and I admired them and was jealous. I wanted my life to be like that too. Sober really is the cool thing to do, kids . There are some of the coolest people I've ever "met" on this site.

Have a great AF night everyone.
                              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thought I would post back. I went out for a few hours to a pub. Drove and did not drink. Normally I would have a beer and loads of soft drinks to get over not having alcohol to hand. Tonight only one pint of water.

My friend was trying to tempt me into having one, but u resisted and thought of mwo and not wanting to reset the date in my sig. It worked. So gym tomorrow and a productive Sunday ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                X