Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Guys, I am 62 now and just wish I had stopped drinking in my 30s So much time wasted. I to have self medicated because of anxiety issues. I have been a functional al and work in a stressful job where everyone seems to drink heavy.Still,no excuses I would be so much better without the booze. cheers everyone:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Aw Byrdie thanks, just read your post. You're right I'm lucky I have learned from all of you. The best thing I ever did was log onto this site! I hope anyone out there lurking can see that all it takes is a day one to get the ball rolling! You can do it, we will help!
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Helloe Nesters,

I am 35 , businessman ... just arrived in zurich with no hang over ... ) nice sober day ahead ...
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning nesters. Well, if we are all on the subject of lives, I am 47 (soon 48) and I work as a teacher in one of the most socially and economically deprived areas of Europe. People might assume that is why I drank so much but my issues with alcohol go back a lot longer than that. I really love my work, but I love being sober and clean more. Have a great day folks.
          "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Unfortunately It's early evening here and I so want a drink right now. Have made a banana smoothy but need to cook dinner which is usually when I open the wine :-(

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters

Good morning Neddy. It must be very challenging teaching in an area like that, but I bet it is rewarding too. You have a great day too. :l

Mnir, you will enjoy your dinner a lot more if you don't open that wine. You don't need it and you will feel so much better in the morning if you don't have it.

It's been very interesting reading all of your posts and finding out a bit more about you all. Mr V, your job sounds fascinating and glamorous on the surface, but I can imagine the pressure involved.

It seems the common theme is that we know we feel better and operate better without AL, and wished we'd stopped when we were younger!

NS, you are so right, the time remaining and what we do with it is what counts now.
              Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all. I was just reading through the nest and I'm loving the personal stories. Your stories makes me feel like I'm getting to know you all from a different perspective.

I'm a 34 year old female that recently relocated from the USA to Germany. My husband is German and was given a wonderful job opportunity here, so we packed it all up and jumped across the pond. I am a consultant working for a company located internationally but I am currently still employed by the USA branch. My job used to be high stress with a lot of travel, but lately I have been "on the bench" and waiting for the next big project. My severe drinking started when I went through a traumatic death (11 years ago) but escalated when I moved to Germany. Unfortunately I was not able to "hit the ground running" with my new life and lifestyle so I took to drinking and throwing pity parties for myself. I've also been battling depression for years. I'm not proud of who I've been in my past, especially in the past three years, but that is why I'm here... on a quest to be healthy and make connections with people that really understand what I'm going through.

Even when I don't post, I do read. And you all mean so much to me!

Much love and strength to you today.
                Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

MS I lurked for a long time and only on my latest attempt (day 9) today. I promised myself that I would try and post more often. I think those who start a personal accountability thread get ahead. For me I find trying to give the little bit of advise I can think of helps me as much as perhaps it helps others. It's clear that you have had a much tougher history than many and you're also far from home. I agree with you that the people on MWO are amazing.

I hope you find the opportunity to post more often and wishing you great things to come. Remember the famously quote. Every journey starts with just one step. Anyone know who's quote that is? I probably misquoted as well. Sorry!

MS good luck and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters, just had to stick my beak in once again before I head off to work :H

Hello MS and GMS, NS pointed out to me that I have posted more this time getting sober than I have in my whole time on the site. It really does help. being part of a community of people who are or have been in exactly the same boat as you are, and knowing that you are not alone. That's a huge support mechanism, and I hope you both get as much out of it as I have. :l

So it's Monday, it's raining and I have a hectic work day ahead of me. I don't care, I am feeling cheerful and happy. I am getting to the point where I can remember the hungover Mondays in general, but I can't actually specifically remember my last one. They all kind of blur into one another.

I am truly thankful to everyone here for the support and advice I have been given here. You are an amazing group of people and I learn from you all on a daily basis. My resolve to stay AL free has been strengthened by visiting here daily. I hope you all have a wonderful Monday.
                    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Monday morning Nesters

Not a bit of sunshine over here in my portion of the nest but that's OK!

Hello & welcome Mnir! Glad you found the nest, please settle in for a while.
                      Have you read the MWO book yet? It's a good place to strat - you can download it from the Health store here on the site.

Welcome back MS!
                      You know what you need to do, stick around for a while

I hope everyone has a great AF day planned - I know I do!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters and Happy Monday (UGH!!)

I haven't been reading through the thread as much as I should so I apologize that I am not up to speed but everyone sounds good!

It was so nice to wake up without a hangover this morning! I found myself driving to the gym at 5:15 for my morning class, grooving to Vanilla Ice of all things (cracking myself up). It was nice to be up and happy at that hour of the morning!

Heading to the office for what could be a hectic day but I am ready! Hope everyone has a great, AF Day!
                        Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
                        [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, some really soul-baring posts here.
                          NS, I accept your challenge, too. Thank you for calling me a young thing (at 51!!). I wish I had done it at 41, I barely remember the first 10 years of the 2000's. THAT is a crying shame. But life nearly lost is ever more precious . I'm not going to waste one more day to AL. Not one, not ever. I hate AL for what it has done to me and all of my friends here. To me, one drink is like intentionally driving over a cliff.

My life today is totally different than it was 3 years ago. I was in the throws of 'moderating'. The Big Lie. AL is the big lie. AL is the opposite of LIFE. Everything I thought it did for me, turns out....it really didn't. That person I thought AL brought out was still under there, buried under an easy crutch. Is it work to be relaxed at a party or tell a joke sober? A little, but so much better because I now know when to shut the hell up! I don't go on to make an ass of myself, or fall down the stairs and hurt myself. AND I know when to leave. Life is better all the way around because there are no voices in my head pulling me where I know I shouldn't go. Once you get those Voices to shut up, you are in a good place. MindPeace. There's NOTHING like it. Believe me, you CAN travel, entertain, have fun, sing in public ALL WITHOUT AL!! I wouldn't risk dancing, but that's another story..... MOST people really don't drink, that's another lie we told ourselves. Truth is, we hung out in places where everybody did....(bars, pubs). If you go to a nice restaurant, and look around, it's about 50/50. ALKIE HEAD makes us see what we want to see. If you want to see most people drinking to justify your own, then that's what you see.
                          3June, I happened to remember when I was at a sales meeting, at this particular occasion, I was at a head table, had a really good year that year (1998). They brought out a bottle of Dom Perignon (sp?). I had some, but I couldn't tell you what it tasted like, I was already drunk. In fact, I don't even remember my last drink on Jan 19, 2011 for the same reason. Maybe it's a good thing...Of course I don't remember the incident of a single drink because that never happened.
                          Don't waste your youth like I did!!! Wise up sooner than later. The result is going to be the same whether you wait another 10 years or not. YOU MUST QUIT or AL is going to take your life.
                          I am the happiest I've ever been! I have the best support group ever! I've made friends here that I know I will keep for a lifetime! Getting AL out was not the worst thing that ever happened to me, it was the BEST! Commit to it and you will never regret it.
                          Go out and make a difference this week! BE somebody TO somebody!! Have a wonderful AF week!!!
                          Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all

a dreary day here in ol Virginny. Slept like a rock last night and the grey and lack of sleep the 2 nights before are making me feel a little groggy, thank goodness no hangover to go along with it. Went on a little mini vacation and enjoyed it. Just catching up here with all the posts.

Mnir, hang in there, it is all about creating new habits, this is where you get to be creative and find new things to enjoy and tell that voice inside to stick it in its ear! You can do it!

Sam
                            Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well I am back on day 2 after 4 days of drinking.

Same old stuff withdrawls seem better this am. Still very fatigued, nauseous. Shakes are some better I have been fortunate enough to have a few valium.

Scared and feel alone. It have been over 24 hours since the last drink, so I hope the worst is over. I have to goack towork tomorrow.

Pray for me and send positive thoughts.
                              love JDG
                              Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

JDG welcome back! The good news is that you caught yourself early! Have you given any thought to what made you take that first drink?
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X