Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Alicat, welcome. I am relatively new here too. Don't be nervous. There's lots of support and understanding here. It's a safe place to find support!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Lizann Am also starting a new job in the morning so that might have something to do with the nerves Lets hope there is no suggestions of "lets all bring the new girl to the pub" come 5pm tomorrow!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Alicat and Welcome!
        A newbie as well, but don't be nervous. Lots of great people to get to know on this site and some wonderful insight through the variety of threads. All of it leads to supporting you on your journey to obtaining and maintaining an alcohol free life. Read and post as you can - it really helps. Good job on day 1!
        ~Sanchez

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hellos nesters,

It's great to be sober. I feel good. good to have life in control. I went for early morning job. In evening went to a nice restaurant on top of hill here in Switzerland with great views to lake Zurich. It had a nice bar with my fav draft bring served. Moment I saw that I thought about u guys.... And promised myself I won't have AL.

I was with two guys one of them swiss who offered me beer. And I said I don't drink ! He asked not at all ? I said yes !! Next I don't know whether I did good or bad. I ordered non alcoholic beer. I shouldn't have done it ... While I had no intention nor had any temptation of having beer but y did I ordered a non alcoholic one ?

Going hiking tomorrow morning ...
          Rahul
          --------------------------------------------
          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
          Rebooting ... done ...
          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening nesters,

Sad day here for us. A friend of my daughters committed suicide. Threw himself in front of a train. He was only 23 years old! Just trying to make sense of this tragedy. Just when you think you've got things under control. I guess I just need a little time to process this.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1546605 wrote: Hellos nesters,

It's great to be sober. I feel good. good to have life in control. I went for early morning job. In evening went to a nice restaurant on top of hill here in Switzerland with great views to lake Zurich. It had a nice bar with my fav draft bring served. Moment I saw that I thought about u guys.... And promised myself I won't have AL.

I was with two guys one of them swiss who offered me beer. And I said I don't drink ! He asked not at all ? I said yes !! Next I don't know whether I did good or bad. I ordered non alcoholic beer. I shouldn't have done it ... While I had no intention nor had any temptation of having beer but y did I ordered a non alcoholic one ?

Going hiking tomorrow morning ...
              Hi, Rahul

Several people here drink AF beer. As long as it does not lead you down a path you don't want to take, it seems that it is fine (if the taste is worth the calories to you ).

It is great that you are enjoying the good things your trip offers - your attitude is so inspiring! I'm glad that thinking of the people on MWO is helping you. That was big for me, too. I had disappointed myself so many times, I just couldn't bear the thought of also letting down the people who had given me so much support.

Keep it up, Rahul, you are doing great! :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lizann;1546606 wrote: Good evening nesters,

Sad day here for us. A friend of my daughters committed suicide. Threw himself in front of a train. He was only 23 years old! Just trying to make sense of this tragedy. Just when you think you've got things under control. I guess I just need a little time to process this.
                That is so sad, Lizanne. Something similar happened to Miley a few months ago. Perhaps she will be here later with some ideas about handling this and helping your daughter.

I'm so glad you were already on your AF path so you'll be able to deal with it in the best way possible.

I'll be thinking of you, NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening friends,

Welcome Alicat! I'm glad you found us. How fortunate you are to be starting a new job tomorrow after you came here. This could be really positive for you to establish yourself as a non drinker in new company. A lot of people have strong drinking associations with co workers, so this could really work out for you.

Lizann, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's friend. That is very sad that such a young person was in so much pain.

Rahul, I'm so glad you are enjoying your trip. I'm starting to feel like a lazy bones reading about all your hiking!

NS, wonderful to see you as always!

I'll check back in later, but have a great AF evening for now!
                  "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                  AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

SaraSmiles, yours is a familiar tale. I used to eat AT people and drink AT people and all I became was a fat drunk! The people I was taking it out on were fine, I was the only one I was hurting....What's up with THAT??? Living well if often the best revenge. I'm sorry that lady got under your skin....I tell you what, if I win the lootery (yes, lootery) tonight, I'll give you some so you can rub her nose in it. I'm going to so the same with a customer of mine. I can't stand him and today he told me that my company's problems were no concern of his, he just wanted his account taken care of and if we couldn't do it someone else could. (we had a bunch of layoffs last week). He is a real Dick Head...I'd be absolutely sick if I ruined my quit on account of this man!!! He is NOT worth it. Nothing is. Drinking makes everything WORSE, as you know. I am trying to concentrate on all the good things that are going on in my life....practicing gratitude. Are all of the 4 children yours? If so, you are lucky indeed!! I'm so sorry you had a bad day...but I'd bet my lunch money, tomorrow will be a good one! (especially if we win the Looto!!!) Cross your fingers, nesters!!! XXOO, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone. Just taking a quick break from cooking dinner and thought I would check in and see how everything is going in the nest this evening.

SaraSmiles - Sorry you had a bad day, but no one could say it better than Byrdie - tomorrow will be a much better one. Glad you came here rather than give into the urge to drink.

Alicat - Welcome!! Glad you are here and looking forward to getting to know you better.

Lizann - I can't even find the words. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's friend. I have a son that age, so it really hurts my heart.

Rahul - Great job!! Enjoy your trip and stay strong.

Just a quick update. As some of you know, my relationship with my youngest son has been very strained for the last 1-1/2 years due to my drinking. In fact, we were completely estranged for a good part of that time. It broke my heart and was one of the main reasons I finally vowed to get sober. Several of you responded to my emotional post about how much I missed my son by assuring me that as he started to trust me to stay AF, he would come around. I wasn't sure I believed you all. But guess what. He and his lovely girlfriend are coming to dinner tonight. I am so excited. And they just "stopped by" the other day to say hi and ended up staying for a couple of hours. As hard as quitting has been, physically and emotionally, it has been worth every minute.

I just can't thank you all enough for the love, support and advice you have given me.
                      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

MR, great news about your son, that has to feel good.
                        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings, Nesters,

It?s been a while since I checked in. I hope everyone is continuing to progress in their journey along the AF path, the best and only path for the vast majority of us. Tess, so sorry for your trouble. You continue to be such an inspiration to the rest of us.

Am writing today as I approach a ?milestone?, i.e I turn 50 yrs old tomorrow. So very happy to be marking the occasion at Day 117 of my AF journey (hi, Little Beagle!) I may not check in to the Nest frequently, but please know I am eternally grateful for the support I have received here. I credit the Nest with helping me to stay the course and make this my last quit (I first tried to quit in my mid-twenties, and had quit and relapsed many times since.) I have a week?s leave from work next week, and plan to post on the relapse thread then when I have more time.

Hold on tight everyone; you are all amazing individuals, and owe it to yourself to stay AF.

Peace and smiles, Steady
                          AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yeah Steady. So glad to see you.:bday7:
                            Lizann I know it's so hard to make sense of something so final.
                            Rahul I drink na beer all the time. I find one or two really is my limit though. No massive consumption needed.
                            Welcome Alia. You and Bhalo must think alike.
                            All I have to say about who I have told I've quit drinking is this. I was an obvious drinker and therefore obviously I have quit. I am very proud of the difference in my behavior. But this is something I do not talk about with my work people.
                            Byrdie:goodluck:
                            Moss I too had a big split with my daughter because of my drinking. We are working on our relationship again. So glad for you.
                            Now as my friends I want to ask a question and an honest answer is needed. I find myself alone yet again tonight. I am beginning to feel like a fool. Is there any hope that my husband will ever try and turn his life around. Will he stop the drinking and using like he tells me he wants to or am I just fooling myself? Should I cut my losses and move on with my life? I said I was going to give him 6 months before I considered what to do, but I cannot stand watching him hurt himself that badly over and over.
                            Thank you.
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey LB, sent you a pm :h
                              "A good garden may have some weeds"
                              Thomas Fuller

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

So much going on here today!

Hello & welcome Ali, make yourself comfortable & let us know about your plan. Good luck with your new job!

Lizann, so sorry to hear about your daughter's friend. It's hard to even imagine being that despondent, especially someone so young.

Rahul, enjoy your AF trip, I'm sure you will. Some people go for the AF beer but that's an individual choice I guess.

Steady, congrats on your big 50 tomorrow & your AF time

MR & LB, relationships can always improve if both parties put in the effort. Some relationships are indeed complicated, that much I do know.
                                LB, I have learned to enjoy being alone, believe it or not - things change

Greetings to everyone & wishes for a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X