• Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie! Good stuff.
    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone.

Had aa lot on my plate lately so did not check in for a while. Will read back and catch up.

So excited on achieving 1 year this weekend Woooohoooo

Allan Kay
      AF since 1st Sep 2012
      NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

3J thanks for the encouragement most welcome. I am at work now and my head is clear and the day looks great. I am going to take small dolly steps daily and see how I go. My house is a mess but it can be like that until I feel in the right head space to tackle it head on but slowly slowly for me at the moment. I just know I dont want to drink. I told a friend today that i was not drinking and her reply was that she could stop anytime and I thought to myself that I said the same thing. This is the first person I have told.

Brydie, well wow yes i was a functioning alcoholic and now i function although only being Day 3. My son said to me the other day he cannot tell if i am pissed or not anymore and I was like "what", now that was also a wakeup call and this is coming from my son who is a recovering ICE addict and has not touched it since March. They are both hidious drugs AL and ICE and if he can overcome his addiction I can certainly overcome mine. He is the next person on my list to tell I have given up AL as i am sure he will be a great support as I was to him, well as much as I could have been in my AL haze.

Well off to do some work and check in hear through the day especially later in the day. Take care one and all and your support is very much appreciated.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

congratulations to everyone who is celebrating an AF Monday. This was our first day of school here - it was nice to start off "unhung".

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allan, a year!! that's really great!

Brydie, any word from Tess? Hope she's doing ok

Sam
            Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening all Nesters!

Great to see so many moving forward with their AF lives!
              Takes some time to get used to but you'll have no regrets, promise

TJ, Congrats on 30 AF days :wd:

available, getting to day 3 is great!!

Byrdie, functional or not I'm glad to be on the sober bus

Allan, doing anything special for your 1 year anni?

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 8 is all but in the books, and it has been my first monday that I was not hungover sitting in my office with the door closed praying to God that nobody would come bug me in a LONG ass time

Some of the junior programmers were actually shocked to see me out of my office swigging down a starbucks and helping everybody get organized and plan our week. I am so mad at myself for neglecting my guys, and I vow from this point forward to no longer be just an empty suit, but that can only happen if I stay the course. So far, I feel nothing but positivity, and I LIKE IT!
                In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tj Congratulations on 30 days. Way to go.
                  Allen 1 year is huge. So proud of you. Show us how its done!
                  As I don't have a split screen on my smartphone I will just say that ot sounds like everyone is doing incredibly great!
                  Byrdie I loved that description of what an al would be as a relationship partner. Very accurate.
                  had a decent weekend and looking forward to a good workweek. Mine starts tomorrow this week. Anyway Have a great af one wherever you are!
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

CD i am celebrating my first Monday and Tuesday without being at work just functioning and without the shakes and a hangover. It feels great but today I am so tired. Staying positive though like yourself. I am spending more time on here at work than actually doing work but thats ok.
                    TJ 30 days great work and hopefully I will be saying that magic word shortly.
                    Allen all i can say is one year sounds like a lifetime away but it is achievable obviously. How much did you used to drink if I may ask?

Comment

Newbies Nest

available;1548666 wrote: CD i am celebrating my first Monday and Tuesday without being at work just functioning and without the shakes and a hangover. It feels great but today I am so tired. Staying positive though like yourself. I am spending more time on here at work than actually doing work but thats ok.
                      Yeah I might have snuck a look or two at this site while I was at the office today too

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yup

available;1548666 wrote: CD i am celebrating my first Monday and Tuesday without being at work just functioning and without the shakes and a hangover. It feels great but today I am so tired. Staying positive though like yourself. I am spending more time on here at work than actually doing work but thats ok.
                        Yeah I might have snuck a look or two at this site while I was at the office today too

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

I figure at least i am probably doing more now at work than what I have been and I need the positives as, as the day goes on then the witching hours begin and i need to take as many positives on board before that hour.

Comment

Newbies Nest

available;1548672 wrote: I figure at least i am probably doing more now at work than what I have been and I need the positives as, as the day goes on then the witching hours begin and i need to take as many positives on board before that hour.
                            I have a work related matter coming up soon that is bugging me, a business trip, but I will make a thread about it some other time.

Best of luck to you

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Crazy busy day..no clue how I did this with a job too...
                              Dottie
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1548629 wrote: 3J, I 'Bing'ed it to see what the definition is, I hear it a lot on this site....
                                The Functional Alcoholic:

But There Is a Problem
                                The functional alcoholic consumes as much alcohol as any "full-blown" alcoholic, they just don't exhibit the outward symptoms of intoxication. This is because they have developed a tolerance for alcohol to the point that it takes more for them to feel the effects (including hangovers). Consequently, they must drink increasingly larger amounts to get the same "buzz" they want.
                                This slow build-up of alcohol tolerance means the functional alcoholic is drinking at dangerous levels that can result in alcohol-related organ damage, cognitive impairment and alcohol dependence. Chronic heavy drinkers can display a functional tolerance to the point they show few obvious signs of intoxication even at high blood alcohol concentrations, which in others would be incapacitating.

UGG...this was ME! The more I read, the happier I am that I got off this ride!!! Byrdie
                                Byrdie that's me too ... What ever name they give before alcoholic .... But the fact remains an alcoholic is alcoholic ...

They may call us functional but questions remain for how long and at what cost ? There is always an opportunity costs attached to it. If I am drinking too much and still functional but because of drinking I maybe missing out to be huge successful ... I might be losing out on my potential.

Success maybe with with work, with family, marriage or what ever life has to offer.

I see a lots of functional alcoholics. Intact I feel after a point I see more functional alcoholics than the occasional drinkers ...

These are the folks who don't call them selves alcoholics ... They are fine with it ... They don't realise ...until something big happens to shake them off ...
                                Rahul
                                --------------------------------------------
                                Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                                Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                                Rebooting ... done ...
                                Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Working...
                                X