Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

allankay;1548641 wrote: Hello everyone.

Had aa lot on my plate lately so did not check in for a while. Will read back and catch up.

So excited on achieving 1 year this weekend Woooohoooo

Allan Kay
    Wow you inspire me a lot ... 1 year ! You need to celebrate !
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

good night nesters

just checking in to wish all members a peaceful night.....

columbia
      You've been CRITICISING yourself for years and it hasn't worked. Try APPROVING of yourself and see what happens......

Comment

Newbies Nest

allan congrats on 1 yr great job

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello to all

Just got back hours ago from a detox/rehab place for 14 days. What an absolute torture. The place I went too treated nobody with any respect at all. Guess they though we were just junkies and drunks, even though I met some great people. Some of the groups were good, they only had one person doing it for 3 days a week and then watched TV from 7 am until 7 pm the rest of the days, the doctor changed all my meds and tried to give me another diagnosis other than what my doctor gave me and switched my meds all around. Just glad to be out of there. I hope the doctor Ive been seeing for over 8 years is not mad at me, since I was told I needed to tell her everything and why I was on this facility. Should know today what is going on today, feeling paranoid. They took me off my benzos within 7 days and people in there were having seizures all the time, scary . Everyone was saying that is too short to come off benzos.. I feel still crappy after two weeks, I blame it on the benzos, since shaked very bad after detoxing from the alcohol.. Still shaking and my appetite iis bad.. probably since the food was awful... It has kept me sober tho. Thanks for letting me vent all... Glad to be home now just cant think about using . Hope everyone is doing good!
          Mike

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry to hear about your experience Mike but the positive is no alcohol for two weeks. Hopefully things will get on track for you.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mike welcome home! Keep close, staying connected has saved many a nester. Now that you're out in the real world you will need a plan to stay AF. Check out the toolbox for ideas.
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey, P.C has died so hello from my phone! Wishing all Nesters well! love Steady X
                AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allan - Way to go! One year is an amazing achievement and truly inspiring.
                  Mike - Sorry your experience was so awful. I can't imagine a detox clinic allowing patients to have seizures. Sounds dangerous. But glad you are two weeks AF. Stay close to us. We're here.

I just wanted to pop in and say good morning. I wasn't feeling up to posting much yesterday. I was so exhausted. I finally just gave into it and slept for 13 hours! That might be a record for me, because I am usually fighting insomnia. But, it was so healing and kept me strong. Day 3 for me. I am actually looking forward to going back to work. I need to be around people today. Thanks for all your support, my friends. Have a wonderful day.
                  Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in on Day 30 and express some thoughts.

Some things I'm concentrating on today....

Alcohol is a beast - complete with horns, warts, and claws. But the scary thing is that he can look like Brad Pitt at the drop of a hat. He's seductive and persuading. He's a sexy mother f*cker. He can make you melt and forget about everything else. His charms can make you neglect your job, family, and friends just to be with him - that's one persuasive dude!

But watch out! He wants to KILL you, although he's actually pretty satisfied just ruining your life. Don't let him!!!

Someone mentioned something about truly wanting to quit. And how that's a MUST if we want to be successful here. My problem is that I've always wanted to quit, but I still had that little voice in the back of my head thinking that I could eventually - one day - get back to being a moderate drinker. Oh don't get me wrong, that voice is still there, and I imagine it's not going anywhere any time soon. The key is to ignore it! Treat it as complete bullshit. If someone walked up behind you and said that the world is flat, you would swing around as fast as you could and look at him like he's crazy. We should have that same response to the beast when he says "Oh come on, one won't hurt. It will relax you...."

Today, I'm thinking about acceptance - accepting that I CANNOT be a moderate drinker. I can't drink at all! The beast is ready to start planting those thoughts in my head, but I'm prepared. if I succumb, I will just jumpt right back on that hampster wheel of addiction. I am SICK and TIRED of that damn hampster wheel. Rooniferd is DONE - FINISHED - with that crap. That's no way to live - that's a way to DIE!!!

One final thought - keeping busy has been a huge help for me these past 30 days. I've got two jobs, I started graduate school at NC State (again!), and I just bought some speed skates. Now I know that's extreme, but I'm loving it. I just ain't got time for the beast!

Keep staying sober, everyone. Life is so great when the beast is in his cage!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Tuesday morning Nesters,

Welcome back Mike! Sorry about your rehab experience. Try letting your gratitude grow now, it will change your outlook

MR, I am profoundly jealous of your 13 hr sleep :H
                      I'm real lucky to get that much sleep in 2 nights!

Rooni, CONGRATS on your 30 AF days!

Wishing everyone a great AF Tuesday!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all!

Such truly inspiring stories here for me to check out before heading out to the office this morning. Roon's devil analogy struck a particular chord with me, though mine comes in the form of Scarlett Johansson.

The only thing I can do is keep taking it one day at a time and not over-think things. Have a good day all.
                        In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd;1548837 wrote:
                          Someone mentioned something about truly wanting to quit. And how that's a MUST if we want to be successful here. My problem is that I've always wanted to quit, but I still had that little voice in the back of my head thinking that I could eventually - one day - get back to being a moderate drinker. Oh don't get me wrong, that voice is still there, and I imagine it's not going anywhere any time soon. The key is to ignore it! Treat it as complete bullshit.
                          It is nice once you no longer have any desire to drink at all because it just makes life simpler and much less stressful. But really, other than making it seem easier to "fit in" (which is much different than "belonging" - just ask anyone whose drinking buddies have drifted away or they have dumped) in social situations, it is hard to think of any tangible benefits.

Big Congratulations on your 30 days, Rooni, and on beginning graduate school! You sound so confident and strong .

Have a great day, everyone. :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Tuesday,

im still here just been crazy at work and hate to just post a quick hi.

Still sober just busy have worked the last 7 days straight.

Off today and tomorrow so will be checking in regularly. Hope everyone is doing great.
                            JDG
                            Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh I see another split screen post coming up but let me say hi to steady and JDG before I forget! Always nice to see you posting! And Allan wow a year eh? Fabulous! Any tips to share?
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

C-Developer;1548668 wrote: Yeah I might have snuck a look or two at this site while I was at the office today too
                                Yeah, I've been known to sneak on here a couple time a day too (ok, ok...hundreds. LOL)

C-D, you sound good...a hangover-free Monday is an awesome thing isn't it? Even more shocking to me was a hangover-free Saturday morning! Stay strong!

So the split-screen "geeks" finally gave up their secret! :H I used to work in IS and I loved my geeks, they always had all kinds of neat tricks. I guess I am not important enough to have 2 screens anymore. In fact, when I asked for a laptop they gave me a legal notepad and said "here you go".

Rooni - A HUGE congrats on day 30! That's the way it's done! :happy:
                                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X