Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

JDG - your dinner sounds wonderful. Glad you are staying busy and strong.

C-developer - we haven't really met yet, so I just wanted to say hello and welcome. You sound like you have a good plan. And congratulations on 9 days. That's a true accomplishment.
    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

CD good on you for joining the gym, i only think about that one, i think about a lot of things at the moment lol.

JDG its actually a good feeling to be cooking, normally i was guzzling wine and no time to cook.

Minstar I am looking forward to some warm weather for sure as it has been a cold winter and nearly time to get the walking shoes on and get out and about. I feel like doing nothing when i get home from work so that has to change. I actually had a thought that it will be nice to wake up on the weekend and achieve something for a change instead of being hungover.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nice to meet you as well Moss Rose. I have yet to actually address you, but I have read several of your posts.

I have an intro thread around here someplace if you want some background about me, and I appreciate the support
        In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Hello to you C-Developer, don't think we've met!
          Sounds like you are doing great! At this rate, you'll be back in shape in no time

Still hot & humid in my part of the world, the AC is back on, yuck.
          The electric company must be making a fortune this summer :H

Great to see everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Minstar sounds like you have a good plan. Getting some time af really is important.
            Hadit I am so glad to see you here today. Hang in there!!
            Jdgirl sounds like you are doing good right now. I hope you are enjoying your evening.
            Exercise is a great thing to do instead of drinking Cd. Keep up the good job!!
            Have a great time everyone.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nighty Night Nesters, I am going to crash. There are lots of storms here tonight too, which is optimal sleeping conditions for me

See ya tomorrow.

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Having trouble keeping with everyone, but most of you sound great. Keep up the good work.
                Mike in Mass- so glad you're back, I've been thinking about you the past few weeks, as well as a few others. Your situation really scared me, I was afraid you went the other direction. I am proud of you, really.
                I've been a member and lurker here for a few years, but just started posting and taking things seriously since late June. In those few years, quite a few of the folks I identified with, and followed didn't make it. Yes, they're gone from this life. I say this as a wake up call, selfishly, mostly to myself, but to those just joining us. That devil AL really wants our soul.
                On a lighter note Congtarts to Roon, TJ on 30 days,.
                Allan, 1 yr, impressive!
                Keep up the good work newbies, C-D, Teabo, available!
                3-J my wife drinks hibiscus tea like a fool, claims it keeps her off high blood pressure meds. I' ll try her out on the cocktail posted, thanks.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well this afternoon was a struggle, not that i want a wine but the taste was there and I had to go to the shops. I was like a little kid looking at lollies I think, seeing but not being able to have. I really dont want AL but it has been such a big part of my life. I bought dinner and walked out quite proud of myself so another night AF for me. Its just the little changes that are making the difference. My two boys who I live with have not even commented that I have not drank for 4 days. Funny kids.
                  Im transferring money tonight to another account to actually see how much money I spent on AL, that should be an eye opener.

I hope everyone has had a great day.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters & happy humpday to those celebrating

available, I know I wanted instant gratification too when I started. I wanted someone to tell me what a good job I was doing but that didn't happen. Checking in here everyday helped keep me going & feeling proud of my accomplishment. Good job on your 4 AF days!

Wishing everyone a great AF Wednesday!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning guys and gals,

It is indeed hump day for me, but you will have to forgive me for saying that I am not sure how happy I am that I am inching closer to the weekend. It seems to me that working 7 days a week might be a safer strategy for me to adopt for the time being

That's it, maybe I will just become a workaholic instead (totally kidding) but I am apprehensive about this coming weekend though.

I have a pretty busy one today guys, I have meetings most of the morning and a series of conference calls this afternoon. Being busy always makes my day go by faster though. It seems I turn my head twice and its 5 PM.

Day 10 is off and running.

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello hello again. Thanks for the welcome (back) miss rose, Cd and beagle- and anyone else I have missed. I'm on my iPhone for the coming week so sorry for short typos and skipped thanks:-)
                        CD- good on you for getting some exercise in. I find once I start something it helps keep me ff booze- counting calories or working out is not helped by AL at all. :-)

Thought I would check in anyway- I like the comment Byrdie made about ring statistically more likely to succeed if you keep posting. One if my pitfalls in my last quit. Byrdie - will get my siggy chafed. No point looking at the mistakes I have made- :-)

Stinking cold at the moment and just want to feel better- just shows how much my body needs to rest

Hope everyone is doing well. Tight hugs x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in before bedtime after a great day at work. Big tick for day 4! Available, I'll race you! Even if your kids didn't notice your great job but we certainly do.

Every sober day just seems to get better and better, maybe it's the fact that spring starts in a very days but everything is looking brighter!

C-D, you've inspired me to get to the gym too. Natural endorphins FTW!

Night night and good morning to all you wonderful peeps. Xxx

Pak

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good job on D4 Pak and Available!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I can tell by the old calendar on the wall that today is... Day 30!

Although I haven't posted much lately, I love having this forum close by and love reading posts from the wonderful people on it who don't judge or criticize. Your posts and responses help me more than you know.

To the newbies and others starting out, you will read it multiple times from the veterans on the forum, but I will also echo it from my experience - stick with it, it becomes easier over time. Yes, I still think about alcohol every day, but it is considerably less and less as time goes by. My Alcoholic Voice is still bugging me occasionally for just one sip and telling me lies that I can one day moderate again. The good thing is my Alcoholic Voice is powerless unless I act upon it, and the more I tell my Alcoholic Voice "NO!" the easier it gets and the weaker it becomes.

Some reflections: (in no order)
                              1. Removing all of the alcohol from the house - It is all too tempting to keep alcohol around. Even out of habit, you may just reach for your favorite poison. One sip leads to one drink with leads to one bottle.

2. Keeping busy - Now that I'm not drinking all my free time away, I have time and energy to do stuff again! I started going the gym again. I started a couch to 5K running program, and I've even signed up for two 5K races in October! I started going out and hanging out with friends again. I've started projects that are long overdue. I've cleaned the house from top to bottom so many times, I'm sure it sparkles. :H

3. The support of my wife - In my opinion, having someone you trust and can confide in is essential, especially at the beginnig. It took me multiple failed attempts to realize this.

4. Make a plan - I went to my first real party this past weekend since I quit. I brought along a six pack of Kaliber (NA beer) and gave it to the bartender. I told her when I came to the bar and asked for a beer, she was to give me the Kaliber. It worked out great! I got to participate in the party, remember everything, was able to drive myself home, and woke up the next morning refreshed and full of energy.
                              11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Awesome post Elvis! Have 2 & 4 working for me. 1 is difficult because hubby still drinks - but I can walk by it, see it, and it's okay. And 3 is more difficult because again, hubby still drinks. The exercise is fabulous and my house is getting more organized and cleaner by the day! My dogs are brushed and bathed more often too. It's amazing the things you neglect due to this rotten, disgusting habit/disease/crutch/time waster/(fill in the blank).

Comment

Working...
                                X