Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Rahul....AL is a baffling opponent. You and I (everybody here, really) knows the answer to your question....NO, you should NOT have a drink, just this once, on your vacation. Remember, if we could start and stop at will we wouldn't be here. If we could just have an occasional blow out and pick right back up where we left off, we wouldn't have forums like this. We are Alcoholics and as such, ONE drink never a good ideaa. Yes, one drink IS going to lead to more and that is eventually going to land us right back at square one. I was looking at your signature line and I see a question at your Day 60. "Will I make it?" I wish you would change that to 'I WILL MAKE IT'. It's that small change in thinking that separates success from constantly caving in. Alcoholism is like a spoiled child, every time you give it to it, you make IT stronger and the tantrums get worse every time until you give in. At some point, you just have to say, NO, HELL NO! I will not give in this time! The muscles you use are the ones that are going to get stronger. Believe me I know the relief when your blood tests come back improved. We quickly forget what sent us there in the first place. If you have one doubt that being AF is the right path, I'd urge you to do a couple things. Take a look at the documentaries Rain in My Heart on the General Discussion section. We may not be as bad as those people today, but as we know, this is a progressive disease...if we aren't there today, we probably will be in the years to come. I know that I was much worse 3 years ago than I was the previous 10. Giving in to one more _____ of drinking (glass, night, week, year) will only make it harder next time. This doesn't get easier it gets harder. One day or even one week of discomfort is a small price to pay for better health for you and your family.....letting AL rob you of one more day just isnt' worth it...just dive into this site, there are 7 years of history here....the people who go back and drink and regret it fills the pages. I have never seen ONE person who started drinking again who was happy about that decision...in fact, most are sick that they gave up their quits at all. Going back to drinking just isn't an option... this is the acceptance part of the grieving process that I speak about. There is no way to beat this affliction other than NOT DRINKING....I know you know that. Do not entertain a thought of letting it back in. If you give AL one inch it wants to be the ruler!!!! Stay the course Rahul, it is NOT worth it. You wouldn't be here if you didn't know that in your heart of hearts, right? Don't be fooled....AL is good at lying to us. Hugs to you, Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am only on Day 3 so I don't have a lot to contribute but I will say this. Around June 30th, I had about 10 days under my belt and I was going on vacation and had the same thoughts...a glass or 2 of wine, or maybe just a cold beer on vacation?!?! I did not heed the advice of the people on this forum. And then went out and drank until 3 days ago. It just doesn't work that way for me...or millions of others.

I am going on a 2 week vacation in November. I hope by then I have enough sobriety to KNOW that to have even one drink will surely lead to more months or even years of drinking. I can't afford it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just wanted to check in and say hi.
        3June - your camping trip sounds wonderful. Spending time in nature is so rejuvenating, isn't it? And doing it sober - priceless! Trinity - hang in there. You are doing very well especially surrounded by so much temptation. Min, that drink won't help, so stay strong. Sake, you sound good.

Londoner - do what makes you feel comfortable. If you don't feel strong enough to go to a party and stay AF, then don't go. I doubt the invites will dry up. Your true friends will be there when you get stronger, and they will understand. Right now, you need to take care yourself.

Scarey, I meant to respond to your post earlier. Welcome and glad you made your way here. I can't speak to the shakes. Others have mentioned staying hydrated. Your blood sugar may be low too, so maybe try to eat small meals often throughout the day. If none of this helps, please consider medical attention. Withdrawl is nothing to mess around with. I'm sorry you have to go through this without the support of your friend. But it will be worth it in the end. Stay strong and let us know how you are doing.

Everything is relatively peaceful around here. Spent time with BOTH of my sons today, so it has been a good day. Will be hanging close to the nest tonight.
        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all

Just checking in before i go off to bed. Just coming to the end of day three and feeling very pleased with myself. I the devil on my shoulder was SCREAMING at me before and i even opened my mouth to say the words "Im off to the shop" i was picking my keys up but managed to somehow stop myself. We had a takeaway coming and i'm off work in the morning so all the reasons to drink were there. Just thankful the reasons not to managed to fight it off. Now im stuffed full of thai food and going nowhere except bed very soon! Maybe now instead of being hung over before work tomorrow i can actually do something productive with my morning.

Hope everyone is having a good day and keeping well.

Minstar - really hope you are feeling better after going to your mums and have managed to stay strong:l You said you weren't feeling very motivated at the moment but your posts have really helped me :thanks:

I really do think that just reading and posting on here has kept me from the al these last three days. Roll on day 4 tomorrow xx

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all!
            Thanks MossRose! I'm tucked up in bed. Yes I am cross depressed angry fuming grumpy tired etcetera but I will not drink today. I came home unpacked groceries and some clothes that need washing. Couldn't be bothered with the rest of our stuff so I will so it tomorrow. I just wanted to crawl into my bed. The only benefit of being back home:-)

Rahul- just my tuppence worth. I had over a years quit under my belt. Safely great, strong and happy about it. Went on a girls holiday and managed a few glasses over a week- the last night a few more- but happily came back to AF when I came home. This then told me I was done- could control it and holidays were ok. Fast forward a few months another vacation - again most of it AF but a week of some king and celebrating new year and Christmas (come on I'm doing so well I should be allowed right? - oh so wrong!) this was followed by anothe e month or two of AF and then WHAM before I know it I am six months into a relapse. It is evil and will creep up on you! Please don't even contemplate a single drink. Look how far you have come!

I agree with Byrdie in that it won't let you go! You have to! We wouldn't be here of we could have a drink or two and leave it at that. You may be able to te first few ones but I guarantee this will escalate into a relapse. The hardest part of a relapse is getting back on it again- dont waste those days!

Ok nesters- stay safe- sorry I haven't posted to all but I need to shut eye! X

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey trinity! Glad you fought strong. Do you think the Thai helped fight it off? I know hunger for me is a big trigger so I have been stuffing my face lol.hope you sleep well and restful and look forward to starting you D4. Just remember and look forward to waking up with your son full of beans ready to spend the day. night night :-)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!
                Just a quickie before I drop into bed.

Flyaway wrote a great post on another thread-- feeling blue-- yesterday about how we basically have to re-learn how to live life. How to feel our feelings, regardless of what they are, deal with the boredom, the sadness, the indifference, the celebrations. How to let life happen without numbing ourselves. I wasn't able to check in here today and I felt a bit afraid without this security net. Right now it's so important for me to be able to check in and see how you are all doing, read about the struggles and worries and successes.
                At work with a super controlling co worker and then later with my 8 year old daughter, who I had one on one for 3 hours, thoughts of drinking came to mind. I wasn't tempted bit it was so clear that in every possible situation al comes to mind either as a relaxant, a reward, a f*** you, as company or just something to do.

I'm about to go to bed and so thankful that I had the strength and set mind not to drink--

Congrats Trinity on day 3-- you're sounding strong and determined.
                and Minstar, I feel for you. I hope you're feeling better after a good nights sleep.

Hello to everyone here tonight.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Night nesters! Great job everyone on fighting those urges! It is 1000 times easier to maintain this than it is to start over! If you had a rough day today, tomorrow will be better....you won't have 2 bad days in a row! Stay strong everyone! Hugs, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Well, I am finally back home after spending most of the day in airports and cabs. It sure feels good to be home, even though this place is sweltering hot from having the AC off for 5 days.

I am so proud of myself for being able to go to the hotbed of temptation and still make it back with my sobriety in tact, and I owe much of my success to the help from all of you.

I took a ton of pictures, so I figured I would share a few of them with you guys:

Oh, and Rahul, if I can do it, you can too brotha. I admit I am glad I am not faced with circumstances like that on a constant basis, but you will be so much better both for your company, and for yourself if you stay the course.

In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Nice pics C-Dev
                      I've never been to Vegas & have no intention of ever going - looks nice though!
                      Congrats on your successful AF trip - great job!

At this point I really believe we can do whatever we really want to do. Set your intentions & just get yourselves started, one day at a time, right?

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all! Like your words life change and feel for you minstar hang in - you will feel much worse hungover on top of sadness about mom
                        CD great job! And Rahul you can do it too.... I get exact same urges when thinking about vacations or just having one drink someday ...... But tonight I was thinking I really need to stop mourning the loss and celebrating the freedom .... Idk it was a fleeting thought/ah ha moment really that I'm still processing.
                        Came really close to drinking tonight bc hubby and friends having a few .... But I would've had 7 or more and he's done at 2 or 3 so I'm soooooo glad I ate and stayed strong and the urge passed just like y'all say they will!!!!!!!! So day 5 done and byrdie youre right I didn't have 2 terrible days in a row cause day 4 sucked and today was fun ..... Just that 15 minute temptation I had to ride
                        Shakey hope you are feeling better
                        Hi lav k 9 and moss and trinity ..... Great job all
                        Hope didn't miss any

Comment

Newbies Nest

Icanwithoutacan - congrats!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great job, Ican!

When this has become your new normal, all of this will be much easier and even more rewarding than it is now:

"I really need to stop mourning the loss and celebrating the freedom"

Stick with this day by day and one of these days, it will be part of who you are - not a fleeting thought.

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thx NS looking forward to it

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's strange to come back to so many new faces .... Glad old timers here.... I'm thinking of Fin Jimmydama Tess and others who were here when I was last Nd hoping they come back

Comment

Working...
                                X