Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good evening nesters it's been way too long. I am excited to announce that today is my 100th day AF. I joined here in June after I was 11 days AF on my own and starting to feel I needed help. I learned so much, and I'd like to share a little.

I quit smoking back in 1987 when I was expecting my son. I had smoked all my life and had never really tried to quit before that. I knew if I had one cigarette I would be a smoker again. I knew I would never be a now and again smoker and I knew I never wanted to go through withdrawal again so the only solution was never to have another cigarette.

When I came here I wasn't sure I was quitting forever. I just knew I needed help. The more I read the more I came to realize that some people can't control their AL and I am one of those people. Sure some people can take it or leave it, but I'm not one of those people. I couldn't imagine having one glass of wine, or one beer. I wanted 4 or 5, but I would settle for 2-3 if I had to. I was never rock bottom, but I knew AL had control over me. I would order another glass when I'd already had enough. I would talk to myself all the way home about why I didn't need to drink that night and still find myself stopping at the LCBO, or opening whatever I had in the house. I would drink myself to sleep every single night. I would run out of whatever I was drinking and move on to whatever else I could find in the house.

I came here looking for help and I found it immediately. I read about all these happy AF people and I was jealous. I wanted that happiness but I thought giving up AL forever sounded so drastic. How would I survive without it in my life? Every meal out, every celebration, every sad time, every lonely time, every holiday, every Friday...what would I do with myself?

I filled in the time as the days went by. I started Spanish lessons, I walk every day, take yoga classes, I am now listening to hypnosis tapes at night and trying really hard to repair my relationship with my hubby. I find time to get things done, I make phone calls, I stay in touch with people. I am different. My life is better, more fulfilling, more productive.

I have survived 2 baby showers, a camping trip, numerous family gatherings, dinners out, fights with hubby, lonely nights when I'm on shifts and the house is quiet. I am enjoying my company and finding new ways to pass the time.

I wake up feeling pretty much the same every day. Thankful. I fall asleep thinking instead of passing out with the room spinning.

I came here looking for help, and now it's my turn to pass on what I've learned.

If you're lurking, or you're new here don't be afraid. Life after AL is better than you can imagine. Sure there's some discomfort in the beginning and no it won't make all your troubles go away, but I assure you life will be better and more fulfilling than you can imagine.

Go for it. If I can do it, so can you!
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations there June 3!!
      you are quite right, it does get better. Thanks for the post.
      Sam
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

It was a busy night in the Nest! Good to see everyone here.
        Trinity, well done on Day 7-- According to my clock you have one more hour before heading home to hit the hay. You've gained so much strength the past week. An're learning, each time we choose ourselves over al we become stronger, more confident.

UN, I love what you posted. It's amazing that it really does work. In a class I took, they had us look at uncomfortable feelings, cravings, obsessive thoughts, etc. and instead of pushing them down or away, we looked at them. acknowledged them and then gently put them aside-- over and over again. Somehow then they lose their strength. Thanks for the reminder.

Lav, 32 new chicks-- I bet they are so sweet. How does that work? Do the chicks already know eachother? Do you have to keep them separate from all the other hens? Just curious.

ok. off to work now. I'll check in later. Hope everyone is well and staying focussed on this wednesday morning.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Woke up with night sweats and an awful headache. Realized what day it is and must take a moment to remember all those people that lost their lives on 9/11 - and what a precious, fleeting gift life is. I must stop throwing mine down a bottle.
          10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,

Yoa are so right Strong and in control, we still have the gift of life and should not waste it with the bottle. Which is exactly why ive won the staring competition with the beer and shut the fridge door and im not opening it again ( why i opened it in the first place is beyond me??) theres eight beers in there that usually i would have just drunk before going off to sleep and waking up with a cracking head. Not today though, this is day seven and im not spoiling it with that!!

Im totally exhausted now, thankyou to everyone who helped last night, you have saved me from the demon in the fridge. I dont even want it now, not one bit.

Hope everyone has a fabulous day

Sleep now......

Trinity xx

Comment

Newbies Nest

morning everyone.

3J, well done on your 100 days, your posts have always been so inspirational to me and to others. Spanish lessons, what a great idea!
              Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, things move fast in the nest! Having been a lurker for well over the year, I do feel as if I already know some of you though.
                Well, my work medical yesterday went well. I was honest when asked about alcohol intake and said I am an alcoholic and trying again to stay sober. I confessed I had never said this to my GP and this private doctor yesterday was so lovely and supportive and said "wow, you must really want it this time, I am so proud of you"!! She has written me a referral to an alcohol/addiction psychiatrist at a hospital near my work but I doubt this will be covered by my work health insurance so it is up to me as to whether to pay for it out of my own pocket. Thankfully, all my bloods came back fine and my liver is all good, god knows how! I have slightly elevated blood sugar levels (and of course, I am a fat cow!) but the doctor advised that these things should work themselves out when I am alcohol free for longer and make some life and diet changes when I feel stronger. So, all in all, it was a good day and I'm now ploughing through Day 6! The worst time for me comes mid-afternoon when i start thinking about going home from work, and how "lovely" it would be to pick up a bottle or two of wine to lose myself in during the evening. Riding through that craving, and then going straight home without stopping off anywhere are the really difficult times. Grrrrrrrr.

Comment

Newbies Nest

3June congratulations! 100 days. That is huge.:wave:
                  Trinity I am so glad you won that battle. You will be stronger next time.
                  This is a black date for our country. I'm Remembering everyone who lost their lives senselessly today. Hang in there everyone.
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Remembering the victims of 9/11 as well today LB.
                    Feeling lots of gratitude to be strong & healthy today.

3June, CONGRATS to you on your 100 AF days :yay:
                    Life is so much better without AL on your back.

Glad you ignored that beer Trinity! Protect your quit always!

Stupot, glad you are on track as well

My new chicks did well overnight. They are completely separated from the older hens for safety. The older girls will be going to the 'retirement farm' at some point in the near future. That's one part of the process I don't enjoy but I can't hold on to them when they've stopped laying eggs.

Wishing everyone a great AF Wednesday!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning to all. Still have the awful headache and now know what I suspected - those sweats are withdrawal, not menopause. It is a little over 24 hours since I drank. Couldn't bring myself to go out for a walk this morning - it is just too oppressively hot and I'm still too miserable. Will be going into work today, sheepishly. They must know I can't be sick that often. I am going to do a bit of meditation to give myself some peace. Is there anyone here that had success or found benefit in an alcohol treatment or counseling? Feeling a bit hopeless.
                      10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm strong take it one day at a time. You got through day one, and you're on your way to day two. The sweats will go away. Congratulations I think day one is the toughest!

Thanks everyone for your continued support. I am on vacation for a month, on the road again next week, I miss you when I can't post but you're always in my thoughts!

Stupot can you make a plan to not go straight home? Or to go home then go out? A walk? A bike ride? Change up your routine? PS welcome and congrats on your decision to be AF!
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

3J, on behalf of the Newbie's Nest, lurkers, and fly-by's, I am proud to present you with one of our most coveted awards. Just when you think you've got it all (see 30 day hat), we come up with something even more valuable!!! My dear, please accept your 'Bird'!!!

:finger:

Four score and 7 years ago....oops, wrong speech. 100 Days ago when you came in you approached this much like NoSugar did. You tore into this site and read everything you could to learn more about this affliction we all have. The more you learned, the stronger you became, and the more you gave back. I can't tell you how proud we all are of your success! I hope you'll put your 100 Day Acceptance Speech in the Tool Box, it is testimony to how it gets done! GREAT JOB!!!! Thank you for all you do!!!

The Prize Patrol
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all
                            well done there Trinity, I do think it a good idea to ask that temptation be placed elsewhere as suggested by LB.
                            Another warm day here in ol Virginny. Lav, at least you have a way to rid yourself of the old chickens!

9/11 is like when JFK got shot, I remember where I was and the disbelief. 9/11 has changed the US in a very drastic way. My thoughts go out to those who have lost loved ones.
                            Sam
                            Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mornin all.

I would again like to extend a big thank you and throw out a few :l :l to the site and its members.

I think I'm gonna start a new thread for my personal journey. Not that I think this is the wrong thread to be in .. It would just be easier on me to have more direct replies to .. well... replies lol.

I will pop in the nest from time to time though

Dave
                              Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
                              AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,
                                Have a few errands today. Puppy gets stitches out and need a few things at the grocery.
                                I am feeling better today. Still tired but that could be any number of things...
                                Hope the cardiologist tomorrow has something to offer.....so many unanswered questions....
                                dottie
                                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Working...
                                X