Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

just a quick goodnight and hang tight to the twigs to everyone still visiting the Nest this evening.
    see you tomorrow!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1555483 wrote:

Staying in lower manhattan close to village .... And bars
      You could go to a show instead.
      Staying in Indianapolis downtown close to bar
      The minor league baseball park is downtown. See if they are playing at home.
      Staying in denver (for hiking) and drinking ..
      Just hike. Or swim down the streets since it is flooding there.
      Staying in Las Vegas ... Bars everywhere
      Even gambling would be better than that right now.
      Staying in brussels ... Lots of bars around ...
      I've only been there once but it was before I started drinking and I wasn't bored so clearly there are other things to do!:H

Entire trip was planned carefully where I will go where I will drink .... Work during the day and drinking in evening ... Alone ... (
      Think how strong you'll feel when you re-vamp your original agenda and plan an AF visit to the US.

This of course I planned like 4 months back. Back in the bad old days - it's the good days now!

Now sober for 40 days ... It makes me scared and strange at the same time as to what and how i have planned ....
      Well, the careful plans show you where your head was then - in the grips of an addiction!

Now looking at the same trip with a perspective of sobarity ....
      It will be a better trip and you'll remember it! Please post from photos like you did last time, ok?

Hope to come back as a survivor .... (.
      Change Hope to I WILL!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening nesters adn welcome newbies.. I hope everyone is staying strong.

Seems to be alot of newbies this past day or so!
        Whatever your stage age or page- stick to this place like glue. It will fill you with comfort, provide support, advices, tips and companionship when you're in your darkest moments.

Trust the senior members adn the new ones with their words of experience and knowledge :-)

Trinity- dust yourself and get back on. Just think you have done 7 days you can do 70 and 700. There is no stopping you but yourself. As per previous advice- get AL out of the house and make sure you Hubby knows this is the rule from now on. I just know you can do this for yourself and your son.

Available- hope your waking to another lovely day AF and ready to start the day :-)

Rahul- that was a trip you planned when you were in the grips of alcohol. As suggested- perhaps make a new itinerary where you are doing things that don't require AL.

CD- hope you're hanging strong! Filtrating is always a nice booster :-)

Byrdie/lavande/k9/brokenhalo/life change/noSugar/londoner and all those I have missed- hope you're all well.

I am off to read and bed soon. Hd a nap this also so not sure how quick this sleep will come!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters

A quick check in from me too, I would love to do that thing that 3J does but I am afraid I would be up all night!

It's nice to see so many new people in the Nest and all doing so well! I am especially pleased to see Fisher and Gambler teaming up and supporting (and challenging!) each other! You two are doing great!

It's been a busy and exciting week for me. I am taking up a new role tomorrow which is challenging and exciting, but most importantly, I will have a much more structured and enjoyable work/life balance because of it. I am never going to make excuses, but my shift pattern before really did enable my drinking to a certain extent.

I am happy, excited, sober, and planning ahead. My team took me for a farewell drink after work, it is tradition. It wasn't a problem as we were mostly all driving so I didn't feel out of place when I ordered a water.

Rahul, pay heed to NS's post. The places you are going to have a lot more to offer than rotten old AL, it's time to enjoy alternative pursuits, as you did in Switzerland.

As sober people, our possibilities are endless. As a drunk, there is only ever going to be one outcome, and who wants that?

Night Night Nesters, stay safe and strong. :l
          Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Done Like Dinner, I understand where you are. What music are you facing, and how is it wrecking your life? I'm new here, too. I've had periods of sobriety, and have drank today. I'm unemployed, and I feel worthless.

I'm hoping folks on this board will be ones we can talk to. People who will give us whatever umpph we need, in the way we need it, and when, to get sober.

I'm sorry about you getting wasted last night, but here, I think most folks understand. I want to be happy, I want you to be happy, I want my husband to be happy. But mostly, I want ME to be happy.

It's a selfish disease. We have to talk to others and count on ourselves.

I hope you're doing better tonight.

Comment

Newbies Nest

To Done Like Dinner:

Done Like Dinner, I understand where you are. What music are you facing, and how is it wrecking your life? I'm new here, too. I've had periods of sobriety, and have drank today. I'm unemployed, and I feel worthless.

I'm hoping folks on this board will be ones we can talk to. People who will give us whatever umpph we need, in the way we need it, and when, to get sober.

I'm sorry about you getting wasted last night, but here, I think most folks understand. I want to be happy, I want you to be happy, I want my husband to be happy. But mostly, I want ME to be happy.

It's a selfish disease. We have to talk to others and count on ourselves.

I hope you're doing better tonight.

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1555535 wrote: Change Hope to I WILL!
                As NS states, all a matter of how you perceive it.
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1555483 wrote: H nesters,

My trip to states s coming this weekend. I had done such meticulous planning for the trip as follows

Staying in lower manhattan close to village .... And bars
                  Staying in Indianapolis downtown close to bar
                  Staying in denver (for hiking) and drinking ..
                  Staying in Las Vegas ... Bars everywhere
                  Staying in brussels ... Lots of bars around ...

Entire trip was planned carefully where I will go where I will drink .... Work during the day and drinking in evening ... Alone ... (

This of course I planned like 4 months back.

Now sober for 40 days ... It makes me scared and strange at the same time as to what and how i have planned ....

Now looking at the same trip with a perspective of sobarity ....

Hope to come back as a survivor .... (.
                  Vegas is waaaay to expensive to get a buzz. Spend the 30 bucks, rent a compact car and drive to Red Rock Canyon. Beautiful. Brussels, Belgium?
                  10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

DAMN feeling worthless as shit keep thinking I can beat this but just not sure anymore.....Why would I keep doing this......cause I feel like shit don't want to face the music just disgusted with myself and need to numb my feelings. Guilt is killing me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

What do you want?

I subscribe to a e-newsletter from Iyanla Vanzant. Today's hit home with me, in a nutshell, she said: "we can become so focused on what we don't want that we obscure what we truly desire. Using a sheet of lined paper complete the following statement 9 times.

"I don't want:
                      _________________________.

Instead I choose: _________________________"

I found this so useful to do 9 times - to focus on the positive - what I DO want, instead of all the negative things I think about myself and my drinking. Hope someone else gets a lift from it.

Wanted to mention that I'm feeling better, worried that the weekend (Yee-haw time) is coming. I'm not drinking tonight.
                      10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Praying
                        what's done is done. If you allow yourself to kick this poisonous beast in the ass, you will find yourself stronger. Only you can do it and I know you can! Only then can you clearly address any issue. The numbing effect will not change anything that has happened.
                        best to you
                        Sam
                        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Praying,
                            Guilt is a useless emotion, it accomplishes nothing. Don't dwell on the past, yes it happened, yes you regret it, and YES you can prevent it from happening again. I'm by no means downplaying the seriousness of your actions, but you seriously cannot replay it over and over. And in time it will fade, trust me. Focus on NOW and how you are not going to numb your feelings, you're going to let them run their course. You will feel better in a few days. Please, please hang in there! Drinking right now will just make you feel bad about drinking...then you will have to do this ALL over tomorrow. Don't do it :l
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Guys and Dolls,

Your friendly neighborhood code writer checking in. Much like yesterday (hell, and the day before that for that matter) nothing particularly earth shattering to report in my world. Work, gym, dinner, and back to my apartment for the night.

Something did sort of upset me a bit when I stopped for a gatorade at my local connivence store on my way home. Most of the clerks there know me as I stop in all the time, and the girl behind the counter pointed out to me that "Hey, you will be happy to know that we now have 1.75 Liter bottles of Captain Morgan instead of just 5th's". I joked around with her when she made the comment, but after I walked out it really cut me to the bone. Thinking back on things, I must have bought countless bottles of booze from that place, and instead of saying hello to me as a greeting, her first thought was to offer me up larger quantities of rum.

I guess I never realized how much of a reputation for being a lush I created for myself to those with a 3rd party perspective. In my way of thinking, everything I was doing at the time was entirely "normal". One thing I can tell you is that I will probably be avoiding that store for awhile to avoid that bad vibes it created for me, but more importantly, it also straightened my resolve to never go back to that life again.

C
                              In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

This is a great post from the Tool Box.....maybe it will help as we head into the weekend!!

Originally Posted by Sober Visitor

JUNKIE THINKING: One drink won't hurt.
                                RESPONSE: One drink will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social drinker. One sip and I'll be drinking compulsively again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I only want one.
                                RESPONSE: I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 5 or 10 or 15 every day. I want them all.

JUNKIE THINKING: I?ll just be a social drinker.
                                RESPONSE: I?m a chronic, compulsive drinker, and once I drink one I?ll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social drinkers can take it or leave it. That?s not me.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now.
                                RESPONSE: The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore, I'll be drinking again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'll just stop again.
                                RESPONSE: Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time? And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?

JUNKIE THINKING: If I slip, I'll keep trying.
                                RESPONSE: If I think I can get away with one little "slip" now, I'll think I can get away with another little slip later on.

JUNKIE THINKING: I need one to get me through this withdrawal.
                                RESPONSE: Drinking will not get me through the discomfort of not drinking. It will only get me back to drinking. One sip stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I miss drinking right now.
                                RESPONSE: Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the pain of drinking right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-drinker with an occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it.

JUNKIE THINKING: I really need to drink now. I'm so upset.
                                RESPONSE: Drinking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset; I'll just be an upset drunk. I never have to have a drink. Drinking alcohol is not a need, it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not drinking.

JUNKIE THINKING: I don't care.
                                RESPONSE: WHAT IS IT EXACTLY THAT I THINK I DON'T CARE ABOUT? Can I truthfully say I don't care about my pain? I don't care about having a hangover in the morning? I don't care about what I'm doing to my liver, lungs, kidney, and heart? I don?t care about all the people I?ve hurt. No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped drinking in the first place.

JUNKIE THINKING: What difference does it make, anyway?
                                RESPONSE: It makes a difference in the way I live, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health.

Comment

Working...
                                X