Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I'm strong good for you! Best advice I was given when I got here to MWO was eat all you want when you want. Worry about calories etc later when you have the AF thing down pat. Enjoy your night. I need to go and clean out a junk basket or two! can you say procrastination?
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

3June2013;1556098 wrote: K9 um might not be the forum for that LOL haha I just remembered G man's advice.

Do your best friend!
      I still LOVE that....I wanted to use it earlier today but there are too many Newbies. Let me just explain so everyone can laugh too.

He meant "Just do your best, friend"
      What he said was "Just do your best friend!"

Of course I ran with it.

So hey, have a sober weekend and do your best friend!!! :H

(the power of one little comma.....)
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

trinity8753;1555808 wrote: Morning all, I've come back to lurk after my disaster yesterday.....ended up on a bender last night and am now remembering how good it felt being seven days af. I want that again. So here I am, day one. I've done seven before I can do it again.
        Trinity. I'm pulling for you. Your first post touched me. My youngest is 17. I was drunk most nights for all of my 3 kids childhoods and while I hid it very well there is so much I missed. (Cant tell you how many times I skipped one of my kids games so I could have a few hours alone to pound the vodka before they all got home). Keep focused on your little one. Time moves at an incredible speed. Don't miss what you will later deeply regret.
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Guys and Dolls,

Interesting yet frustrating day for me today. My CTO, and immediate superior, was on a fucking rampage today. I am not sure if it was business related, or something in his personal life, but the guy seemed on a mission to make everyone's life miserable today, including yours truly. He is not normally the micromanage type, but today he was hovering over me so much I finally snapped and said, "Why don't you let me do my job, and you do yours ?" In a textbook passive aggressive way, he just glared at me and walked off. He later came and apologized to me, but I was still mad and slightly bewildered by his actions.

It would be highly hypocritical of me to pass judgement on others for bringing their personal shit to the office, but it does not make it any less frustrating. To add insult to injury, as I left the office today, I went to start my car and it was dead as a doornail and would not even turn over. On closer inspection, I realized that I had left my lights on this morning. Great! Just what I needed after a particularly brutal day in the trenches.

I managed to get a coworker to give me a jump thankfully, but my overall level of annoyance was reaching the boiling point. I decided it was probably a good idea to drive around a bit to let my battery charge. It was not long before I passed some of my old stomping grounds, and I can honestly say that it was the first time in the last 26 days that I actually had a passing thought about drinking. In any event, I quickly dismissed it, drove back to my apartment, changed to go work out at the gym, and found my way back home as I sit and type this.

In giving the matter some thought, It seems as though I have been enforcing a sort of subconscious quarantine of myself here in chi-town. Other than the office, the only other places I have gone are the gym, grocery store, gas station, and conner market. You would think after Vegas that driving through fucking Bridgeport would be no problem at all, but for whatever reason, it did seem to send off a trigger in me. It scares me slightly to know that I am not as strong of will as I perhaps thought I was.

OK, I will now officially end the armchair psychoanalysis and just say that I am glad I did not succumb, and am even more glad that I have a place like MWO to help me through this difficult chapter in my life.

C
          In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Turned out to be a real pleasant fall weather type of day - my favorite

CONGRATS FD! Enjoy your moon :H

Today's talk of popcorn & chocolate has made me hungry - thanks everyone :H
            I'm pretty resigned to never getting to my actual goal weight & that's OK, I'm close enough

Dottie, nice on the hairdo, glad you are feeling better.

C-Dev, you just have had the classic shit happens day :H
            Good for you getting thru it unharmed!

Enjoy your sober Friday night one & all, stay safe in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

"It scares me slightly to know that I am not as strong of will as I perhaps thought I was."

Apparently you are, as you did not give in! Yayyy you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

CD. There are a thousand triggers some stronger than others. Recognize them and plan in advance how to deal with them. Exercise seems to work for you.

It's ok to say you were tempted. In my earlier three months of Al free life I would think that if I told myself I didn't have cravings it was somehow a badge of honor. The reality is that I am and will be tempted ever single day of my life. Alcohol is that pervasive (and persuasive)
                Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

Don't want to post...want to have a beer... Badly ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1556142 wrote: Good evening Nesters,

Turned out to be a real pleasant fall weather type of day - my favorite

CONGRATS FD! Enjoy your moon :H

Today's talk of popcorn & chocolate has made me hungry - thanks everyone :H
                    I'm pretty resigned to never getting to my actual goal weight & that's OK, I'm close enough

Dottie, nice on the hairdo, glad you are feeling better.

C-Dev, you just have had the classic shit happens day :H
                    Good for you getting thru it unharmed!

Enjoy your sober Friday night one & all, stay safe in the nest!

Lav
                    The moon looked beautiful Lav!
                    Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Newbies Nest

ICAN you posted because you really don't want a beer. Or you would have opened it already. So listen to that side, ignore the demon voice. Please tell me there's no AL in the house?
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

TJAF;1556144 wrote: CD. There are a thousand triggers some stronger than others. Recognize them and plan in advance how to deal with them. Exercise seems to work for you.

It's ok to say you were tempted. In my earlier three months of Al free life I would think that if I told myself I didn't have cravings it was somehow a badge of honor. The reality is that I am and will be tempted ever single day of my life. Alcohol is that pervasive (and persuasive)
                        TJAF,

I think your past experience is a dead ringer for my own behavior of late. I have been falsely carrying on a charade that I am invincible and impervious to temptation. Like yourself, I thought it a badge of honor to claim that nothing could possibly shake my resolve. Obviously, this is not the case, and I am short-sided for not recognizing the reality of the situation.

For some reason, I think the thought of admitting to myself that I have temptation makes me weak. Chalk it up to foolish pride and ego I suppose, but at least my little brush with the AL albatross has given me a taste of what I ultimately face, so that I can be more prepared to deal with it in future encounters.
                        In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done there C-D. It won't be the last day of "shit happens". Now you're aware that the beast lurks and waits for the chance...
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

CD your words were "I dismissed it". We all get cravings, it's how we deal with them that counts. Recognizing our triggers and reflecting on our patterns is key to being prepared for the next one. I expect we'll always get cravings.
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

WooHoo on my second sober Friday.....
                              dot
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

C Dev, I had similar feelings last weekend. Up until that point I had pretty much thought I was immune :H

I made it harder for myself because of how I reacted, but I'll know what to expect in future. Glad you made it through.
                                Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Working...
                                X