Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good Late Morning, Nesters!!
    Ican, I hated that I couldn't moderate, too. God KNOWS I tried. I never drank harder than I did that year. Accepting that we can't goes a long way in our recovery!
    Dave and C-Dev, sure you guys are plenty funny, but wait til you get K9 cranked up, she'll have you pee'ing in your pants! She comes out with the best zingers you can imagine! I have always complained she had better writers than I do!! I'd love to see a show, you guys are really getting your grooves back!!! (yes, that's a 70's term).
    Dave...complacency IS the enemy!! That's why my butt is firmly planted in this nest...how could you possibly be complacent when you are actively engaging in this conversation with others just flying in? It works for me, plus I enjoy helping folks beat this thing. I'm saving about $10 a day and since I started, 975 days ago, I've saved....um, carry the one, add 5...well, I've saved a lot of money! Plus I was a cheap drunk!!! OY! (always an eye for value!)
    I'm so happy that you are finding yourselves again! I contend that when you first start drinking (in my case at 16) that your emotional maturity kind of stops....it's just arrested as we rely on AL to do the work for us (of coping, socializing, whatever). So when we stop drinking, it takes some time for our emotional age to catch up to our chorological age! It really does start to feel more and more normal every day! Please stay the course, and you will find things are just so much simpler without AL.
    Hope everyone is gearing up for a clear head tomorrow! Friday is JUST another day!! (says Lav!!) It's not an excuse to blow all you've worked for!! If I can do this, I KNOW you can!!! All the best! t
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

broken halo;1558415 wrote: Gambler, I laughed out loud at the fabric conditioner thing, hope you are ok now!At first I was wondering what was so funny about my post so I went back and reread it. It was kinda funny when you think about it. And no..It was not the fab thingy. Now Im considering the two pots of coffee a day avenue.

jenniech;1558716 wrote: gambler and c-developer: you guys are funny!
      And Gambler: i simply LOVED your post.....I gave up AL for my children as well......your post is tool box worthy
      C-dev is a joy to hang out with Ill tell you what. Thank you.. Im touched that you found something in it that you can relate to :l

Lavande;1558723 wrote: Have fun in your pursuits but don't forget your #1 priority right now, OK?
      I hear ya Lav but for me Its just a part of my personality. I have always been the witty comic in the room..its just showing through more now that I am AF BTW .. I noticed that you went NF in less than two months after going AF..How was that for you ? Which one did you consider "harder" if I could put it that way. Because I really want to quit smoking (two packs a day). Thanks.

little beagle;1558727 wrote: Yes Dave I agree. Living sober and just not drinking are two different things.I guess right now I will stick to the Not drinking part of it and worry about the Living part when it comes.

Samstone;1558729 wrote: That's kinda starters for my day, that wonderful realization I don't need to worry about what I said, how much foot and mouth disease do I have.

I have seen this a lot on the boards. I wish I could have forgotten what I had said at times..It was a real bitch in the morning remembering
      all the painful things I did and said to my "friends/wife/children/boss". It really sucked having to go through my day with that kind shameful feeling. I dont know why I did it over and over and over again. I can now look forward to each morning knowing that I am building relations rather that burning them down..:l

Kailey;1558740 wrote:
      Gambler, I loved your post. I hope I have your clarity on day 10
      . I haven't gone 10 days without drinking I 20 years. About time to do something about that.
      The odds are in your favor Kailey..Id take that bet. You will
      make it to day 10 ! I wouldnt go so far to say day 10 was a moment of "clarity".. but it sure in the hell is better than before. You will see..

Dreamobile;1558741 wrote:
      I am AF for full day,
      High Dream .. One down and just One to go .. You can do it. Just say NO to yourself for the first week and you will be golden..well..maybe more like copperish..but you understand

Cocoflo;1558744 wrote:
      but then I start to feel "normal"..,
      Morning Coco .. Yes yes and yes ! This I think is gonna be the real kicker in my near future. So Just to let you know this makes be feel better knowing that I am not alone on this front. :l

Icanwithoutacan;1558752 wrote:

Day 1 for me ..... I f'ing hate that I can't moderate ...... Funny guys cd and Dave!
      Hiyas Ican .. I was wondering why you hate that you cant mod. Dont get me wrong..Im not discounting your feeling..but I am genuinely curious as to your reasons. .. oh and we will be here all week :-)

Dave
      Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
      AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning all! Ican - I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm still banging my head against the wall trying to figure out that special magical formula where I can moderate. Its just not happening! Truth be known, I don't want to moderate. I want to get drunk without feeling like shit and the health repercussions. The thought of one or two glasses of wine is about as boring as reading the barf bag on an airplane. One vodka tonic, doesn't sounds nearly as good as 8! I don't want to moderate. I don't want a handful of potato chips either. So for today, I'm trying to realize that for me it's all or nothing jack. I'm all in! Or all out (of my mind)! That's the choice I get to make today. Happy Friday nesters!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Lady..I didnt see you sneak in..you got ninja like skills ! :H

Byrdlady;1558757 wrote: Dave and C-Dev, sure you guys are plenty funny, but wait til you get K9 cranked up, she'll have you pee'ing in your pants! She comes out with the best zingers you can imagine!
          So your saying that I should probably invest in a box of Depends..ok check !

Byrdlady;1558757 wrote: Dave...complacency IS the enemy!! That's why my butt is firmly planted in this nest...how could you possibly be complacent when you are actively engaging in this conversation with others just flying in?
          Im not absolutely sure If I understand what your saying here. You are saying that Complacency should never even be a part of our lives from here on out ? Not to be extra careful but instead Rid myself of this thought pattern altogether
          is what I think what you are getting at. Gotcha !

Byrdlady;1558757 wrote:
          I'm saving about $10 a day and since I started, 975 days ago, I've saved....um, carry the one, add 5...well, I've saved a lot of money! Plus I was a cheap drunk!!! OY! (always an eye for value!)
          Funny that you mention this. Just yesterday I noticed I still had the same 12 bucks in cash that I had 11 days ago LOL. Cheap indeed. Milwalkies Best ??!!

Byrdlady;1558757 wrote:
          I'm so happy that you are finding yourselves again! I contend that when you first start drinking (in my case at 16) that your emotional maturity kind of stops.
          So your saying Im immature .. .. I can live with that :h

Again I think I understand what your saying.. basically AL stunts your Emotional and Matural ( If thats even a word ) Growth. Hmm..something to think about on that one ..

Thanks again for everything Ladybird :l
          Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello lovely crazy Nesters!
            I'm with you for making this a great AF weekend--

On my way to work this morning, at 8 contemplating the stressful 7-8 hours to come, the thought of stopping off to buy a bottle of vodka shot quickly through my mind. I'd been awaiting this day-- somehow, for me, around 3 weeks is when I start to forget how bad it was. I had to really remind myself of what I had been like such a short time ago. I have been so tired lately and haven't had much time to post-- or even catch up on how you all are. As Jennie mentioned, this has also been my problem in the past-- too tired, too busy, don't need it, whatever. Not this time. This time I will do whatever I have to do to stay strong in my quit-- I will not let stress derail me, I will not drink AT problems and people-- I will remember my mantra: I will NEVER drink again and I will NEVER change my mind. I will not become complacent.

Thinking of you all and so thankful that you are here sharing the struggles and successes.:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gonna go watch the boys soccer game ( and do a much needed snack shopping spree ) so I will catch you guys later this evening.

Enjoy your friday night

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternoon nesters!
                Lifechange, yes, stick close!
                Complacency is the enemy... It comes in several forms....we forget how BAD it was....we forget how hard it is to start again, the lines blurr as to 'why am I not joining in this boozefest?' We forget the pain that AL caused and only start to remember the good things we perceived about it. When we wander away from our site here, we are being brainwashed by society and the media and friends and family to DRINK UP! It sounds like a reasonable thing to do! But for us, it isn't! This is something that takes consistent reinforcement. We DO forget just how awful it was....the guilt/shame/remorse and utter despair that brought us here in the first place. My quit is my first priority....I am investing the time to protect it.

Hope everyone is gearing up for a wonderful, AF weekend!!! I know I am! Hugs to all!! Byrdie

Edit: Shout out for Gambler! Day 13 is around the corner!!! You are doing great!
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Are retirees allowed to join you youngsters ??? How do i know.....maybe the shorthand! Good luck drunks, nice to have some company !!!

Talk with you tomorrow about tonight, Clipped Wings

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Clipped!
                    Everyone is welcome! What's on your mind?
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Another AF weekend, so busy with work, don't even have time to think about drinking and the hangover that comes with it...Have a great AF weekend everyone
                      On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey clipped I am retired too....come on in....
                        Had a great day trip...ate way too much and brought home some goodies....
                        For whatever or no reason I wanted wine so bad tonight....but I did not stop on the way home....20 days and I dont want to start over..so here I am.....so glad u all are here...
                        dottie
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Clipped, welcome!! I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself We can learn the shorthand, right? LOL.
                          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie you are way to wise to do that. Byrd is absolute, stay in the conversation of freedom. Welcome clipped, stay close
                            What you resist persits

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good on you Dot, 20 days for me too and we are doing so well. Cant let the team down so to speak.
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

I hope everyone is settled in for nice Friday evening
                                We can do anything we like except drink, right? Waking up clear headed in the morning is awesome.

Hello & welcome clipped wings! Have you made a plan? Please make yourself comfortable & stay in touch!

Dottie, glad you enjoyed your day out & ignored the monkey mind - good job
                                Lifechange, you ignore those thoughts as well. This time you are going to stay on board with us!

Greetings to all & wishes for a safe night in the nest!
                                Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X