Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Mandalay
    I love this analogy! I friend who over stayed their welcome.......

Only it wasnt really a friend when we looked at it in the cold light of day.

My wine rack is finally empty and i will be bidding farewell to my false friend as i bid farewell to 2009
    the future looks look as do my new friends...... bring it on!
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dog tired, and have to go to bed down here in Oz. Take care all of you just starting your day out there, stay strong, and I hope to see everyone tomorrow

Thank you again for the kind words of encouragement, and I wish the same strength to you all out there.

Mandalay

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi Mandalay
        I to am in Australia and am also over AL today was hopefully my last day of dealing with AL.Hopefully we will have success together in waving good bye to AL and welcome 2010 AL free.Take care
        Stump

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Hi Mandalay & welcome to Stump!
          The nest is filling up again - makes us very happy

Mandalay - I feel bad that you have such a large collection of wine bottles in your home! When I quit I made sure there wasn't a drop of wine left in the house, made me feel less tempted..........
          Is there any way you can get rid of it? Donate it or include it in a yard sale or something of that nature?? At least pack it up & get it out of sight!!!! You want to give yourself every possible chance to succeed

Stump, wishing you every success as well! We are all looking forward to an AF 2010!

Chillgirl, Tranq and everyone else who stops in today - have a great day!

I'm off to my daughter's house to help with a project to get the house ready for sale - fun, fun
          I'll be back later!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mandaley, maybe you could give everyone a gift of a bottle of wine. or dump it. Just get it out of the house somehow.

Stump, good wishes on beginning this journey. A few days AF and you'll start to feel better
            we are here for support and have all been there

Lav, Hope you have a successful day at your daughters.

TW, CG and all else hangin, MM

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lav, MM and welcome to Stump

I just did a 'headcount' of the bottles on the rack - actually there are 58! Technically I guess, they belong to Mr M, who enjoys buying/drinking decent wine (but has no problem whatsoever with alcohol). There is a mixture of really nice wine, and some cheap stuff for 'mindless swigging' (mostly by me) and gets regularly topped up. But no, there is no option whatsoever that I can get rid of them, nor banish them from the house, nor even keep them under lock and key - way too hot outside, and they are all carefully stored on a purpose built wine rack which is part of the main furniture in the dining room. So you see, I am stuck with them. I realise it is going to make giving up a whole lot harder for me as it is in full view all the time. I haven't actually told him that I have cut down, nor that I had a problem before, and because of our very different lifestyles he has no real ideal how bad things were. If he has noticed in the last month or so that the same bottle is sitting there partly drunk for several nights in a row, he certainly hasn't commented at all. I take comfort, though, in the fact that through all these months/weeks of cutting down, and most especially when I have been drinking only one glass or less, I have been able to resist the temptation to remove a second bottle from the rack as I would always have done before. (And replaced before he would have seen it was missing!)

So yes, thank you for worrying about me, but I just feel it's not fair of me to expect his lifestyle to change when it's me who has the problem - it's just something I have to face head on. I pray to God I have the strength to do it. But right now, I am feeling upbeat, and looking forward SO much to the year of sobriety ahead!

Stump - there are wonderful people on this forum who have given me such courage to believe I can succeed. It's great to hear that you have given up on the same day as me! I bet we are joined by a whole lot more in the next few days too! PM me if you would like to chat more!

Lav - good luck at your daughter's!

Mandalay

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All.

Welcome Stump. No you're not alone at all in this. That's what is great about this site.

Mandalay I don't recall whether you checked out the MWO book, are using supplements, etc. Just mentioning 'cause those things seem to help quite a few others. Might help. Stump, how about you?

As far as the wine collection - I usually have some wine and beer in the house for friends and family. It doesn't really bother me - I kind of look at it as an investment in good will. I've got the problem, not them.

Mandalay, I too enjoyed the metaphor of the friend who stayed too long. With friends like that we don't need enemies!

Hi Chill, MM, Lav

Take care all.
                tw
                Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Newbies Nest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemKqzILV4w[/video]]YouTube - Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
                  "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Thanks for the tune chillgirl - that was totally new to me

mandalay, you certainly do have your work cut out for you with that big wine collection. I wish I could say something more effective than 'Good Luck'......
                    I really do wish you strength & continued success - you're doing great! Please stay close, keep us up to date, OK

Stump, greetings to you as well!

MM & Tranq, hope you are doing well & have solid plans in place for the next couple of days! I'm keeping myself firmly planted here in AF land where I feel safe
                    I vacuumed drywall dust at my daughter's house today (among other things) so now my allergies are bugging me. Some things just never change!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest - the night light is on!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good moning Nesters,

The Nest is open for business!
                      Hope to see some of you here today, the last day of 2009!
                      Wishing you a good day!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good luck tonight fellow nestlings! It's been a while since I've visited the nest--been struggling a bit, but currently 8 days AF. Here's a AF toast to everyone waking up New Year's feeling empowered sans a hangover. I'm hoping to be but kind of teeter tottering on the fence right now. Think I'll be reading MWO and this site mucho before we go out for the obligatory celebration. Anyone else have an AF New Year's plan in mind? Am trying to focus on the big pic rather than this one evening event and feeling like I'm missing out on something if I don't partake of the bubbly. I know in my heart I am missing out on life if I continue to distract and numb myself with alc.
                        Openheart
                        "Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Openheart!

Happy New Year to you too!
                          Glad you stopped in - the nest is always open

I'm staying in tonight, no where else I'd rather be but in front of my fireplace with my decaf green tea.
                          I'm too happy & grateful at this point for my AF time to feel like I'm missing anything, honestly!

Wishing you a safe night, see you in 2010!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy New Year to Everyone.

Well, we've got few hours to go here. I'm not "planning" to drink tonight, so here's to hoping all goes according to plan.

Open, good to hear from you. I understand your ambivalence. One way to look at it is it's amateur night, and we know better!

Lav, Chill, MM and anyone else who drops in be happy and safe tonight and always.

Wishing many blessings on us all in the new year!
                            tw
                            Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy New Year to you Tranq!
                              Stick close to your plan buddy, you'll do OK!
                              Wishing you happiness & health in 2010.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Whew--my hubby just made it okay for me to skip tonight's festivities. This is such a relief. I have been stressing about it all day. Just too soon to put myself in this type of party situation. I'm going to duct tape myself to the couch and find a good movie. Here's to feeling good tomorrow in more ways than one. Thank you everyone. I have missed you.
                                :hOpen
                                "Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Comment

Working...
                                X