Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

You're full of great links today, NS! I managed the preface of the Gifts of Imperfection-- Looks like a great book. I will continue tomorrow--

How are you Ican??

I'm wanting to stay awake through the night now that I've ended a long work week and have some time off. But it's almost midnight and my eyes are heavy. So goodnight all! Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Afternoon, Nesters!
      Sake, good one with Bill Cosby....Oy, we've all been there, huh?
      Lifechange, you sound great!
      Gambler, feast or famine with work, isn't it? I'm so glad you are walking with a spring in your step!! You are doing great!
      Dottie, hang in there girl! Hope you had a good day!
      Ican, so glad you came here first. I can identify with your job....I am frustrated at work, too. Remember, I ate AT people and drank AT them for years and I became was a fat drunk. Living WELL is the best revenge!!! All we can do is what we can do....the rest is out of our hands. Drinking only makes everything worse, as you know. We'll wake up tomorrow with such a sense of accomplishment.

Take care tonight everyone! Protect your quit with all you've got! Hugs to all, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks all hanging on to your words for dear life - going to a ball game and bed early ... I'll do it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all
          had a good day. Of course the doc didnt have any more information for me about the cause of the blood clots but I didnt expect him to...stay on the meds for life...boohiss.....
          Dog training tomorrow. And it is dh's birthday....guess I need to put a bow on his present....:shocked:
          dotttie
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday Nesters!

Well I feel like I've been away forever, and I have missed so much. I was away on vacation for four weeks (I will go back to work on Monday). Had a fabulous time, camping, visiting, travelling. Any concerns I had about not drinking left fast and I hardly gave it any thought. I visited family and friends who were surprised but I just told them straight out I don't drink any more and it wasn't an issue. I think I made them a little defensive and I am working on a way to get my point across without making others feel they have to explain or defend their drinking. I am not sure that's possible, but I will keep you posted!

I lost two pounds while I was away, another huge success. I think not drinking has helped enormously in that I don't consume empty calories, I wake up refreshed and start the day by doing yoga or walking, and I have energy during the day for walks etc as well.

NS thanks for the link, I am reading "Alcohol Lied to Me" right now, but "The Gifts of Imperfection" looks like a great read.

I received my MWO hypnosis CD's in the mail and tried one out last night. I wasn't all that thrilled but I will give it another go tonight. I had a restless sleep, first night home and all, so I will report back tonight on the results of tonight's hypnosis.

I still struggle a little when it comes to events that involve drinking, going to bars, listening to bands, going to dinner out at a restaurant. I have an iron clad will not to drink, that's not the issue, but I am still feeling a little awkward. I don't enjoy spending hours watching others drink. I tend to either avoid these scenes, or leave early. At my age (54) I don't care who thinks I am a drag, I love getting to bed at a reasonable time, getting up early and making the most of my days. That said, I do get that it would be tougher for a younger person. Society has brainwashed us into thinking AL has to be part of every event and every social gathering. Think of it as heroin that's how Craig Beck relates it. Can you imagine if society thought it was ok for us to have heroin at every party?

Well I hope to get to know you newbies, so I will go have a read. Remember when you share you help someone else as well as yourself. It's Friday, so get your weekend plans in place and have a great time!
            Newbies Nest
            Toolbox
            My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

It is great to have you back, June! We missed your regular posts :l.

Comment

Newbies Nest

lifechange - I'll have to check out Russell Brand. I love comedians! I love to laugh! You have a great attitude. Deep breath - count to 10...but most importantly (I tell myself) is just never stop trying!

Comment

Newbies Nest

sanchez;1561325 wrote: Interesting thought NS and one I thought I posed on another thread, but would be curious to know how many folks hit rock bottom vs just decided enough was enough and quit. Then to follow on that, what's been the success rate for each group. (I guess the analytics side of me is coming out! lol) I pesonally hit rock bottom. Someday I may tell the story, but right now it's still too fresh in my mind and too scary to recount. So, in the long run, will I be successful? Remains to be seen. Anyone else want to chime in on this?
                  I wasn't "ready" to quit, but I knew I needed to do something about my drinking when I found MWO. I think I was searching for answers about drinking, you know, trying to find a quiz that I could pass, the one that says drinking daily is healthy and normal. So I would have to agree with NS in that waiting to be ready might mean you'd never quit.

So newbies, if you think you have a problem I guarantee you have a problem. If something is telling you that you should quit, you should quit. Don't wait until you're ready. That aha moment might come after you've been AF for a while, but it might not come before!
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Thanks for the great links everyone ~ I love sharing

June, welcome back!
                    Hang in there & that feeling of awkwardness in social situations will disappear. I am at the age where I really do not care what other people think about what I do or don't do. There is something good about being 59 :H
                    I have been to a few baby showers lately where AL was served - why?? Was it really necessary? I think not! Give the CDs some time, they do work but they're not a magic bullet. I found the Clearing CD to be my favorite

Ican, once you take drinking as an option completely off the table everything becomes much easier. You no longer have to struggle with the question - you know the answer - No! Keep telling yourself, I don't drink until you really believe that you no longer drink.

Greetings to everyone & wishes for a safe night in the nest!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thx Lav, NS, LC, Byrdie, Dave and all. I made it and going to bed....June welcome back and Dottie you sound great even though still not sure about your medical prob .... Night all

Comment

Newbies Nest

Night all,
                        Medical problem was this.
                        Labor day weekend I passed out at 5AM (no booze involved). Ambulance took me to ER. CAT scan showed blood clots in both lungs. I had no risk factors and no symptoms. I have had numerous tests and the docs are clueless...
                        So sorry to the new folks. I was not trying to be mysterious...just forgot ...
                        Dottie
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie I hope you get an answer to what caused the blood clots.
                          3June nice to have you back. I'm glad you had a great vacation.
                          In response to the question I personally hit a rock bottom and had to get serious about taking my life back before it completely slipped out of my control.
                          Busy day for us. Hubby and I went shopping again this Friday. Hobby Lobby. He is getting into something besides drinking. Its fun to watch him excited about something again.
                          I will be hanging close this weekend.
                          I'm going to go back and read what I missed.
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh Dottie that's scary ... Hope you can get some answers eventually ....hi lil B! I can spend a fortune in hobby lobby ... Usually I get home and don't know what on the world to do with any of it but I always dream I'm some great artist or crafter... Haha ... Glad about your hubby that's awesome ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

I hope everyone held on tight overnight
                              I'm heading out for the day stopping first at a craft show then on to a birthday party for a aging aunt. My life is so incredibly exciting :H

Dottie, sometimes we just have to accept stuff without knowing the whole story. I am grateful that you are alive & well & riding the sober bus with the rest of us

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
                                So good to see everyone!
                                3J! We missed you! So glad you are back.
                                May I second what Lav says about being uncomfortable in social situations...this took some time to adjust to being sober at social events, but you really DO get used to it. That person you thought AL brought out is still down there, you just have to dig him/her out. It doesn't happen overnight, but it DOES happen. Now I can remember how obnoxious I was!!!! :H:H:H Just ACT drunk, it's kinda fun! All you gotta do is start talking louder, closer, and laugh at EVERYTHING! Spill something, for good measure! You'll fit right in!

Hope everyone has an easy day today! Making it over the Friday night hump is huge! It's smooth sailing for the rest of weekend! You will be so glad you did.

If you are lurking, come on out and participate. You can speed up your own recovery by actively taking part here. We have looked at the numbers and the folks who post a minimum of once a day seem to enjoy more success than those that just watch from the sidelines. We are glad you're here, but we want you to be successful, too. Jump right in....there isn't much we haven't seen/heard/ DONE!!

Have a happy day, everyone! Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X