• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

One of my favourites from the toolbox!

Originally Posted by A Work in Progress

Do You "Deserve" a Drink, Today?

I can't count the number of times I have seen someone come here and write a post in which s/he says that s/he has relapsed, or "slipped," because s/he had been doing well for a while, and decided that s/he "deserved" a drink.

And our alcoholic thinking does this to us. It totally bypasses the memory of the devastation, humiliation, and destruction that alcohol has brought into our lives, and it presents alcohol as a GOOD thing, a prize, a reward, something we want to give ourselves for a job well done.

I wrote a post a few days ago, about this way of thinking, but it was kind of buried in another thread. And I saw people talking about "deserving a drink," again today. What I wrote about was about changing our way of thinking from this self-destructive "Deprivation Mode" to a winning, successful, positive "Gratitude Mode." Here it is:

I don't think we can begin to truly grow into a successful, lifetime, AF plan until we have managed to make the shift in our thinking from the "Deprivation Mode" to the "Gratitude Mode."

In Deprivation Mode, we think alcohol is a good thing that we are being deprived of. We are sad, and grieve the loss of what had felt like a friend to us. We consider it a treat that we never get to give ourselves again. We are envious of others who "get to drink."

In Gratitude Mode, we recognize that alcohol is (for us, because of our brain structure, genetics, physiology, etc.) a toxin, a poison, something that nearly destroyed us. Mentally, physically, and spiritually. We recognize that we have the most amazing opportunity to rid ourselves of something that makes us very sick in all those ways. We recognize the craziness of voluntarily damaging our brains, minds, bodies, families, jobs, futures. We are really, really grateful for that opportunity, and we guard it and cultivate it carefully.

Most of us start a recovery program in deprivation mode. Some people stay there forever. Those people tend not to be able to create a consistently successful program, or life, of freedom from alcohol and its devastation. Some of us transition into gratitude mode.

For most of us, Gratitude Mode does not just happen all by itself. We have to make it happen. If we want to shift into gratitude mode, we learn to cultivate it. We cultivate it by being careful about our thoughts, and about what we notice. If we find ourselves thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a drink, we deliberately shift attention away from this train of thought, and we deliberately choose to think about how good it is to know we will never humiliate ourselves with alcohol again, never again have another horrible hangover, never disappoint our children again with the way we are when we get drunk. We notice alcohol advertising, pay attention to how it makes us feel, and detach from the message by noticing how distorted the message is.

That kind of thing is crucial. We literally can BUILD a new way of thinking and feeling about things. And I think that's something to be grateful for, in itself!

Comment

Newbies Nest

lifechange;1564789 wrote: Hang in there, RE-BIRTH! Don't give into that tricky voice!-- What are you doing right now? You don't have al in the house, do you? If so, please pour it out! Can you go out for a run or a brisk walk-- get those endorphins going? Or write a detailed lists about WHY you decided to stop drinking? You had some really good reasons! Keep reading and keep writing--
      Its crazy how the mind can trick you. I was so much stronger yesterday. I knew I was going to face my real triggers today. Just knew it.
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lifechange- Thanks for that post from the Toolbox.. Its has calmed me.. Thank you x
        Be strong-
        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

Newbies Nest

One trigger down. Four million to go. Lol
          Be strong-

Comment

Newbies Nest

One down is awesome! Each one beat gives us strength--
            I think you need a good plan for your way home! Do you have time to work on one? You can do it, Re-Birth-- your name says it all!! :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Further! There are some great posts in the TOOLBOX about forming a "plan"-- it has to do with mindset as well as "What to do" in certain situations where we feel we might be taken off guard or tempted to drink. Thinking ahead of time about our triggers and how we have set ourselves up for failure in the past. I have often gone without a plan because I didn't want to stop-- I wanted an excuse or a reason to drink. With a good plan, one has to face the truth up close and personal and it's more difficult to give in to the beast. Has been my experience, at least. Have fun at the wedding--

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you for that analogy about gratitude. I needed that today.
                "A good garden may have some weeds"
                Thomas Fuller

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!!
                  I hope everyone will join me in the presentation of a brand new hat today! Sake has earned hers and we are so happy for you!!!

:goodtime:

I'll tell you, 30 days is such a milestone in our journey....and you have successfully reached it! Would you have a few words for our nesters who are just underway as to how you did it? What helped, what didn't? Those are really powerful tools!! Well done!!! Here's to many more in the future!!

Welcome SOXX! You couldn't have landed in a better place if you are ready to get this monkey off your back. Just jump in with both feet, we are here to support each other. Every single person here knows what you are facing. It is totally do-able! Try not to look too far down the road....I always say, all you gotta do is get thru this day!! So far, so good and I'm on Day 990.

Rebirth....there's another good post in the Tool Box you might like...let me go grab it.

Gam-Man.....I'm skeert of pressure pots. My mom blew one up when I was a kid, there was roast beef all over the kitchen...she made me clean it up...to this day I don't do roast beef or pressure pots. :H

Have a great day everyone! Shore up your plan! Make it bullet proof! Hugs all, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here you go, ReBirth....this was helpful to me.

Originally Posted by Sober Visitor

JUNKIE THINKING: One drink won't hurt.
                    RESPONSE: One drink will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social drinker. One sip and I'll be drinking compulsively again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I only want one.
                    RESPONSE: I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 5 or 10 or 15 every day. I want them all.

JUNKIE THINKING: I?ll just be a social drinker.
                    RESPONSE: I?m a chronic, compulsive drinker, and once I drink one I?ll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social drinkers can take it or leave it. That?s not me.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now.
                    RESPONSE: The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore, I'll be drinking again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'll just stop again.
                    RESPONSE: Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time? And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?

JUNKIE THINKING: If I slip, I'll keep trying.
                    RESPONSE: If I think I can get away with one little "slip" now, I'll think I can get away with another little slip later on.

JUNKIE THINKING: I need one to get me through this withdrawal.
                    RESPONSE: Drinking will not get me through the discomfort of not drinking. It will only get me back to drinking. One sip stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I miss drinking right now.
                    RESPONSE: Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the pain of drinking right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-drinker with an occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it.

JUNKIE THINKING: I really need to drink now. I'm so upset.
                    RESPONSE: Drinking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset; I'll just be an upset drunk. I never have to have a drink. Drinking alcohol is not a need, it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not drinking.

JUNKIE THINKING: I don't care.
                    RESPONSE: WHAT IS IT EXACTLY THAT I THINK I DON'T CARE ABOUT? Can I truthfully say I don't care about my pain? I don't care about having a hangover in the morning? I don't care about what I'm doing to my liver, lungs, kidney, and heart? I don?t care about all the people I?ve hurt. No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped drinking in the first place.

JUNKIE THINKING: What difference does it make, anyway?
                    RESPONSE: It makes a difference in the way I live, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health.

Comment

Newbies Nest

What is a Plan?
                      I heard about this thing called a Plan, and I HAD plans, but I wouldn't call it a PLAN, as such....it was more of a HOPE. A GOAL, even. A PLAN sounded way too formal for this thing I was embarking on...after all, what if I failed? Hope is NOT a strategy.

#1 Failure is not an option. When you think you are going to fail, guess what? You FAIL! Wrote this book on this one. Get your mind into a mode of THIS WILL BE DONE. Don't be willy-nilly, or your willy will get nillied. Your mind is your best friend and your biggest enemy. Control IT and you will win. Control your thoughts and you will win.

Get all of the AL out of your house/space. Yes...ALL of it. You don't need a safety net because you are not going to fail. I fought this one hard, but I wasn't able to succeed until I did it. No, I was NOT different than everybody else, I could not resist it if it was in the house. GET IT OUT.

Get your story down as to why you're not drinking. This is important. Get a story together you can live with. I actually have ulcerative colitis, so I say that my UC is 1000 times better if I don't drink. If you are a Type A personality, you might enjoy using 'AL kills my ulcers'. If you are a health nuts, "I'm detoxing"....religious nut? "I gave it up for Lent and felt so good I kept going".....you get the idea. Get your story and stick to it.

As Alkies, we aren't used to eating. This is the SILVER BULLET to succeeding. If you have a bad craving and The Voices are knocking, EAT! Eat until you are FULL! Remember those times when you've said, "I can't eat another bite of anything!" That's the full we're talking about. You will not want anything if you EAT!

You are gonna feel like dookey for a few days. I felt flu-like for the first couple weeks, so treat yourself well. Drink plenty of fluids and rest! Your body is changing over from an ethanol burning engine to a food/nutrient burning machine. Have patience as your body makes this transition.

Keep yourself out of temptation. STAY out of the wine aisle at the grocery store. NO, you are not stronger than this thing, protect your young quit with everything you've got. Stay out of bars and avoid booze parties, especially the first 3 or 4 weeks. I don't care how strong you feel, this is a new thing for us and temptation is everywhere. Avoid it at all costs.

Change your mindset from one of deprivation to one of gratitude. Just look at the folks on here who have made C-changes in their lives!!! They are HAPPY and optimistic! Does this sound like someone who considers themselves deprived? It's all a matter of perspective. Thank God, you don't HAVE to drink today!!! Remember, to a worm, digging around in the hard old ground is a lot more relaxing than going fishing! Try not to throw, attend and participate in Pity Parties, they serve no good purpose.

Glue yourself to this site and learn everything you can about this condition we have. Knowledge is power. Nothing we do or think hasn't been done or thought before, so look back on the 7 years of experience here and you will find out what happens if you do such and such.

Let go of the past... don't look back. Let it go. ALL of it. Forgive yourself and move on....nothing to see here. There is NOTHING we can do to change what we've done, but we can start today and make things better for our future.

Did I mention gluing yourself here? Read and Post!!! This is key! Being part of a group is important. Like so many have said recently, we find that we actually don't have a much of a life outside the bottle! So learning to trust others again is part of our emotional growth and healing. Yes, the Nest does move fast, but we are always on point. You just regained about 4-6 hours a day back, so spending 30 minutes catching up here should be no problem. Staying connected here is a real key to STAYING sober. The world out there is telling us to do something totally counter to what we know we must do. Staying connected with like-minded people is vital. We are swimming upstream on this one...it's nice to have fellow fish to make the journey with us.

I feared someone giving me a drink by mistake....if they ever do, I'm spitting it back in the glass. My quit is my foundation. No one can take it from me.

That's my take on The Plan. Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdlady. Just finished work and off home. Will stay focused
                        Be strong-

Comment

Newbies Nest

BYRDIE!!! is this one in the TOOLBOX? If not, could we move it there? I find it to be so important and I'd like to have it in an easy-to-find place! Or can I save it in my personal area? I don't know how to do that...

Good going Re-birth! Let us know when you're safely home!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all off to shop for the elusive homecoming dress again ! I just went off on my daughter and inhave no idea why.... more on that later.... otherwise, Great morning))
                            Oh Further I feel for you I really do! But you came back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That says it all to me and we will bit get it soon I know !
                            RB.... Yuck I hate that stupid persistent ass AL... Some days I wake up and he's nowhere to be found and others well he just won't shut up ....maybe watching a littl Rain in My Heart? It's pretty sad
                            Thanks 3j I love learning
                            Sake 1-2-3 YOU DID IT congrats))))))))
                            Welcome SOXX I hope you stick around
                            Reading Alcohol Lied To Me.... Really enjoying
                            Love y'all .... LC you can talk about me in real life anytime haha

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,
                              WOW what a busy place this morning...
                              Byrdie your posts are just what I needed today...u r psychic???
                              Going shopping today...I deserve a treat and NOT AL!!
                              Summer is back and I am not liking it....but fall is close and I do like that. Want to take doggie to the park. We all need to lose some weight....
                              Dottie
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome SOXX

SOXX;1564685 wrote: I've been an alcoholic for many years, and I can't seem to remain sober for more than a few days. I am very scared. There are no AA meetings here in Jordan where I live, and certainly not the kind that would help with 90 meetings in 90 days...
                                I've tried setting up an AA group, but I only found people with several years of sobriety, so I gave up.
                                Perhaps MWO can be an alternative..?
                                Thanks.
                                SOXX
                                You are in the right place, consider this your AA group! You can come here many times a day and every day. I did, for a long time. I am now over 4 months AF and I can tell you it was the best thing I ever did. Enough about me. Do you want to share your story? Some of it?

I hope you will keep reading and posting. We will help you get past those challenging first few days and we can help you continue.

Nice to meet you and hope to talk to you soon.
                                Newbies Nest
                                Toolbox
                                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                                X