Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

SATURDAY in the NEST

Hey nesters, congratulations to all of you newbies who "made it " through Friday. I promise you there will come a time when you will look forward to your AF weekends as much as you looked forward to the tanked up hazy puke filled drunk ones LOL

What are your plans to stay on track today? Outdoor activities? A new project in the house perhaps? A visit to someone who is lonely?

Let's get out there and show our world that being AF is a choice, not a reason to feel sad but a reason to be excited and happy.
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

rebirth what have you planned to get you through this evening's temptations?

ican happy to help, I really got a lot out of "Alcohol Lied to Me" too.

gambler I don't eat meat but my pressure cooker can cook up a cabbage in no time!
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Joining again

I'm one of the people who have done a little posting but a lot of reading your posts. It's been a long time since I've gone AF for more than 1 day. Sometimes it's an every other day thing.

Wine is my drink of choice. I like a sweeter wine so it's not available in all the restaurants in the area so as you probably can figure out, we're regulars at a couple of places. Actually have stopped going to a couple of places cuz they stopped serving "my wine". Used,to have a Mai,tai or something like,that but they're way too strong or too much juice.

The places,we,go are Kind of like Cheers. One thing that's scares me (I joke about it) there are several couples who seem to be going there forever and I wonder if that will be me in my 60s. (I'm 51)

I play mind games to try to stop. Oh I'll only have a couple glasses and some appetizers then we'll go home. Used to work, lately it's been 3 glasses. Or I'll have a glass at home and dump the rest of the bottle so I'll only have 1 (cheaper than drinking 1 at a bar). Doesn't work. When I look at how much we spend at the end of the month eating out it's embarrassing.

I wake up feeling ok. I have stomach acid issues. So gut burns in am. Depending upon how much I've had the night before some days are more tiring. Just done with feeling kind of icky in the am.

Then I try to go with my fitness groups eating challenge. didnt stick with that...they're encouraging to eat organic high protein low carbs etc. That would be great if my issue was eating too many calories. It's 12 oz of wine + potato skins several nights a week. Sometimes it's a bottle of wine. Especially on a Friday and/or a Saturday. Anyway, I'm not going to open up to a bunch of people who are trying to drink kale in their,smoothies,that I had too many glasses of wine. ( i do know one thing it's eye opening to track calories and see what % of your day is alcohol)

As you can see by my name I love my Diet coke. I know the chemicals are bad for me but so is alcohol.....plus I'd rather have chemicals than the real sugar.

I've bought the vitamin pack from MWO didn't get through a week consistently. Been carrying a bottle of Kudzo in my purse for the last week. Hasn't been opened. Been meaning to get L-glut thinking that will help with the sweet craving. See a pattern? I'm overwhelmed because I'm trying to figure out what will work....so I just don't do anything.

I'm just greatful that I'm a "couple of glasses at night person" and not whiskey in my coffee during the day. But that's a mind game too.

My hubby is great. He'll help me if I want it. But I don't want him in the position to be my alcohol police. That will put a strain on things.

Eeekkk thanks for listening.
        It's obvious I over think things. Just do,it and stop thinking about it.

Dc
        :new:
        Started 9/24/2010...goal 30 days AF then a "wine sipper"

Back again 10/5/2013. Same goal.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh. Ps. Need to change my signature. I can't believe I've kind of been around for 3 yrs.
          :new:
          Started 9/24/2010...goal 30 days AF then a "wine sipper"

Back again 10/5/2013. Same goal.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Diet Coke! You are my favorite drink!! Welcome back!
            As you know, AL is a wiley one. So if I may ask, are you planning on trying to moderate? I think the first thing to do is ask yourself a couple of important questions: Haven't you BEEN trying to moderate for 3 years its been since you joined? Unfortunately, being able to go 30 days AF does not seem to rewire the mind as we hope. In fact, I've been around here about 4 years, and I'll be danged if I've ever seen someone who actually CAN moderate long term. Notice I didn't say 'very few' or' the minority'. None...as in NONE. I was really sorry to hear this news, too, because I tried my best for a year to do it. I just KNEW I could be one of them (in SPITE of it all). Even on this site, it is done with heavy duty meds and the jury is OUT as to whether or not it is successful. If you suspect you have a problem with AL, then you are right. I took every quiz you can imagine, I even passed some of them and I am a Stage 3 ALKIE!! The point is, that whatever you are trying to find to justify your drinking...you can find it, but if AL is causing you a problem and you want it to stop there's only one way to do that. You gotta stop. I know....it sounds so harsh....but we can sit here and have this same conversation in 3 years and wonder what happened. ALK is progressive as you know. It doesn't get better, it gets worse. I wish I had stopped when I was at stage 1! No, I hung in there! I tell you, saying adios to AL was the BEST thing I ever did.
            So jump in with both feet! Open that Kudzu and start taking it. You will NEVER regret being AF!! We are so glad you've joined us, welcome aboard!! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

gambler;1564652 wrote:

Hi Rahul.. I am in the same boat to a major extent. I have only one friend ( hes he drinks but its not a problem for me or him ). After that..Nothing. But at least I have pretty much a clean slate on which my life can be built on and around. I also find it most intoxicating to being able to share my ups and downs with others ( honestly the ups mainly lol )..and because this is my only outlet I take complete advantage of it. Unless they kick my out of my favorite heated twig spot I think a long time shall I be here. Congrats on your 7 day man ( oh god I hope your not a woman..that would make it like the 6th time for me to eat my presumption )
              ! ).
              Thanks for the records I am 35 / Male
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey nesters! Day 6 here. The last couple of days have been rough, more so for my husband than myself. I am all over the place emotionally. One minute I am silly happy, the next minute I am pissed...what about? Who knows? He has been fixing my dinner and eating with me in the bedroom, ( good sport), but last night I came out of my cocoon and we all ate together.

Seems I missed a lot the last couple of days- I am still trying to learn everyone's names, and associate their story with names, etc.- it can get overwhelming, but I'll get there.

Taking my supplements and eating like crazy, but dear lord I'm am always thirsty! I may have convinced myself that it's okay if the house is not clean- just rest and take care of myself.

Planning on rooting in the couch the rest of the day. The Georgia game is on, and the Braves play tomorrow! Ruff, ruff, sic'em and chop, chop! All of the Georgia Peeps will understand this nonsense!

Day 7 tomorrow
                Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
                -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Still sober!!! Fighting like mad with triggers but not giving in. Cleaning the house and eating too much but whatever it takes!! God damn AL. Such an addictive drug
                  Fingers cross I make it
                  Be strong-
                  We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                  Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Newbies Nest

Stay strong rebirth you are doing really well :goodjob:
                    Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all, just a quick check in to say all going good. Decided it is now time to give up smoking as well. Gees I cant say i am enjoying this no AL and NS but hey there comes a time i suppose. Im trying to get over a cold and have met a nice man who is more confused than me ha ha, if possible. Being AF makes it easier to actually communicate and try and be "normal". Busy few weeks with the hens night next weekend and then the week after my mother visiting indefinitely and then the wedding in exactly 5 weeks from today. The great news is is that my daughter asked me if i would walk down the aisle with her and her father. Im so excited that she asked as being her mum has been the best journey i have undertaken in my life (as with my 3 others). She doesnt want me to do it if i am going to bawl my eyes out. I said no i will do that after. It is hard to explain that she has been mine for 26 years and now she will belong to another. I am so happy she is getting married to a lovely man and I know i will always be her mum but everything will shift in the dynamics of her life.

So that is about me for the moment. Off to go shopping with the man i am seeing today, life is good. I hope everyone is staying strong and safe in the nest.

Day 36 here.
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starting something new is always challenging.

Ever since I quit AL I have been turning to Sugar when: craving, bored, lonely....(you know the drill) which became my substitute for AL.

I wish I could make broccoli or carrots my substitute for sugar but it doesn't work like that. So this time around I am failing to come up for a good replacement????

This week like last week I had a very strict, healthy diet with a side of daily exercise. However, Friday night when I usually feel most bored or lonely I had to turn to junk food for comfort. I knew I was making a wrong choice but it gives this temporary release of endorphins that healthy food just doesn't.

Need to re-programme myself to get high from knowing that I am making a healthy choice instead of a short lived high.

I hope this makes sense. Just so very angry with myself because I have been trying to quit Sugar from the 1st of September and failed every Friday. May be it is best to have one cheat day per week? hmmm?

AK
                        AF since 1st Sep 2012
                        NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allen I feel the same way. My daughter needs someone to diet with so I am giving that a shot to help her.
                          3June thanks for all those wonderful links. I bookmarked that page.
                          Bhalo you rock. 90 days is awesome. :wave:
                          Sake you new doing so great. :rockon:
                          Future I was a weekend drinker too. I understand the cravings. They do pass and you feel like it is such a victory each time you defeat one.
                          Ican glad you are hanging with us.
                          Dottie you did good beating also butt. I am so proud of you. Give that sweet pup of yours a hug for me.
                          Mr. V glad to see you. And you too Mr. G!!
                          Soxx welcome. Diet Coke ditto.

Doing this from memory.
                          Dave you are wonderful. Your posts are inspiring. I use my pressure cookery for beans. Very convenient.
                          Byrdie I have blown one up at someone else's house. Oh scary!
                          Gardener good to see you. Hope you are hanging tough today.
                          I went shopping with hubby last night. So busy. That seems to be our new Friday night thing. I love it.
                          Have a great night all.
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all,
                            Shopping was good...bought myself a black sweater with open weave sleeves...kind of sexy..40% off at Ann Taylor..I don't spend that much on myself usually but I figured that I spent more than that on wine so I "deserved" this...that is my story and I am sticking to it...
                            Dottie
                            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

I had a thought. Watching tv. Seeing this gorgeous model eating a huge hamburger with all fixings is about as big a lie as the cap they try to feed us regarding how glamorous and sexy drinking al is.
                              Rebirth I was thinking of you And the weekend cravings. Sorry about that.
                              Future just hang in there.
                              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

What do you do when you are trying so hard to keep it together and life keeps getting in the way? Drama, stepchildren, blah bla bla!

What is the point if all roads lead back to the same damn misery?

My first instinct is to go get a bottle of wine. Hell, to drink whatever is available. But I will not let a miserable f***up of a 17 year old do in what I have worked 6 days, struggled 6 days, to gain. If I did, it would lead to a worse blowout, I would say things I can't take back, and feel disgusted in the morning.

The nights not over but I think I have just talked, or typed, myself thru this. Wow, tx for unwittingly listening to my rant y'all. I may be back tonight, otherwise I will see you in the morning....
                                Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
                                -Alan Cohen

Comment

Working...
                                X